• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Which 2010s/2020s third party game characters do you guys think should be in smash bros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a few ideas:

Ichiban Kasuga from the Like a Dragon series
Zagreus from Hades
Sans from Undertale/Deltarune (he deserves to be his own character)
Chai from Hi-Fi Rush
Astarion from Baldur’s Gate 3
Nahobino from Shin Megami Tensei V

I have a few ideas:

Zagreus from Hades
Sans from Undertale/Deltarune (he deserves to be his own character)
Chai from Hi-Fi Rush
Astarion from Baldur’s Gate 3
Nahobino from Shin Megami Tensei V
Okay, NOW we're talking... btw, sans it's imo the most likely indie rep.

I'll just go with the two that came to mind fairly easily.

H'aanit from Octopath Traveler and Peach Rabbid from Mario + Rabbids

I always thought Shovel Knight would be a great fighter instead of just an assist trophy. He is on everything now but he was a big hit during the Wii U era one of the best games on the Wii U eshop.

Yeah, Sans absolutely deserves to be his own character. It’s cool that he’s included in some way, but I think Smash 6 should go all-in

Yeah, Sans absolutely deserves to be his own character. It’s cool that he’s included in some way, but I think Smash 6 should go all-in
I think that his best chance would be at the base roster alongside monster hunter, but he's competing with arle nadja and ryu hayabusa.

I struggle to think of any that truly make a lot of sense to me as a fighter in Smash and that I could see both Nintendo and Sakurai genuinely choosing. I’d say a Yo-kai Watch character if Level-5 hadn’t run that series into the ground, unfortunately.

But hey, we already have Joker. And Steve/Alex, technically. Bayonetta is close enough to count, too, though she’s kind of a special case anyway.

I struggle to think of any that truly make a lot of sense to me as a fighter in Smash and that I could see both Nintendo and Sakurai genuinely wanting to be in Smash. I’d say a Yo-kai Watch character if Level-5 hadn’t run that series into the ground, unfortunately.

But hey, we already have Joker. And Steve/Alex, technically. Bayonetta is close enough to count, too, though she’s kind of a special case anyway.
I think dark souls and fortnite could be the most likely ones.

Quoted by: Tye
I think dark souls and fortnite could be the most likely ones.
I really don’t think we’ll see Fortnite in Smash. Nintendo obviously supports the game being on their system with as massively popular as it is, but they’ve clearly been resistant to getting involved with it beyond that. Despite Epic continuously trying and failing to get Nintendo to do some kind of collaboration in Fortnite with Nintendo’s IPs, Nintendo has refused. On the other hand, Nintendo did get involved with Minecraft, another similarly massively popular third-party game, and they had even praised it in the past for being like a game concept that Nintendo would make themselves. So it’s no surprise to me that Minecraft eventually got into Smash, but I can’t see Fortnite doing the same, at least not beyond something like a spirit.

Similarly, while I could see Dark Souls maybe getting a spirit, it’s not the kind of series I can see being represented with a fighter in Smash. But it’s probably more likely than Fortnite, I guess.

I really don’t think we’ll see Fortnite in Smash. Nintendo obviously supports the game being on their system with as massively popular as it is, but they’ve clearly been resistant to getting involved with it beyond that. Despite Epic continuously trying and failing to get Nintendo to do some kind of collaboration in Fortnite with Nintendo’s IPs, Nintendo has refused. On the other hand, Nintendo did get involved with Minecraft, another similarly massively popular third-party game, and they had even praised it in the past for being like a game concept that Nintendo would make themselves. So it’s no surprise to me that Minecraft eventually got into Smash, but I can’t see Fortnite doing the same, at least not beyond something like a spirit.

Similarly, while I could see Dark Souls maybe getting a spirit, it’s not the kind of series I can see being represented with a fighter in Smash. But it’s probably more likely than Fortnite, I guess.
Well, i know you're wrong, but oh well.

Despite Epic continuously trying and failing to get Nintendo to do some kind of collaboration in Fortnite with Nintendo’s IPs, Nintendo has refused.
this is simply because epic does not agree to nintendo's terms with regards to how their content is displayed on other consoles; that is, they don't want nintendo skins to be exclusive to the switch. otherwise, they would hit it off
i wouldn't say that has any particular bearing on fortnite in smash but it's also weird to see fortnite collab with something without any equivalent content on the game itself

Well, i know you're wrong, but oh well.
You know what the future will hold? C’mon now. I’m not even claiming to know for sure that Fortnite won’t be in Smash—I’m just saying that, personally, I can’t see it happening.

Let me put it this way—I view Fortnite similarly to, say, Call of Duty, which was kind of the earlier equivalent to Fortnite in terms of being an extremely popular third-party franchise. Yet Call of Duty never got anything in Smash, and likely never will, despite how popular it is and the fact that it’s been on Nintendo systems before. It’s just not the kind of game that Nintendo would want to put in Smash Bros., y’know? That’s very much how it feels to me, at least.

Travis Touchdown
Shovel Knight
Jonesy and some of the other default characters(?) from Fortnite

I'm drawing a blank on newer female reps unfortunately.....

this is simply because epic does not agree to nintendo's terms with regards to how their content is displayed on other consoles; that is, they don't want nintendo skins to be exclusive to the switch. otherwise, they would hit it off
i wouldn't say that has any particular bearing on fortnite in smash but it's also weird to see a fortnite collab with something without any equivalent content on fortnite itself
I don’t agree with this at all. There’s no way Nintendo would allow skins of their characters in a game like Fortnite. Can you imagine Link or Mario walking around with a realistic gun and animating totally unlike themselves? A costume that simply resembles the character to a degree would be one thing (though still unlikely to happen for their all-ages IPs like Mario, Splatoon, etc.), but that’s not how these skins work in Fortnite—it’s the actual characters themselves, and apparently they become part of the game’s story, too?? So yeah, I could never see Nintendo agreeing to that, not even with more “appropriate” characters like Samus. (It’d still make no sense for Samus to be using a separate gun rather than her own arm cannon, anyway…)

You know what the future will hold? C’mon now. I’m not even claiming to know for sure that Fortnite won’t be in Smash—I’m just saying that, personally, I can’t see it happening.

Let me put it this way—I view Fortnite similarly to, say, Call of Duty, which was kind of the earlier equivalent to Fortnite in terms of being an extremely popular third-party franchise. Yet Call of Duty never got anything in Smash, and likely never will, despite how popular it is and the fact that it’s been on Nintendo systems before. It’s just not the kind of game that Nintendo would want to put in Smash Bros., y’know? That’s very much how it feels to me, at least.
Dude, tekken and persona has little to.no connection with Nintendo. Also, Fortnite has more sense to be compared with apex legends because they're both battle royale that are popular in both the West and Japan. Call of duty doesn't have a chance not because what you said, but because it doesn’t have a big face unlike Fortnite who obviously his face is Jonesy. But call of duty? It's a fight between capt price and ghost. And both are forgotteable at best as the faces of one of the biggest if not the biggest shooter franchise of all.

Dude, tekken and persona has little to.no connection with Nintendo. Also, Fortnite has more sense to be compared with apex legends because they're both battle royale that are popular in both the West and Japan. Call of duty doesn't have a chance not because what you said, but because it doesn’t have a big face unlike Fortnite who obviously his face is Jonesy. But call of duty? It's a fight between capt price and ghost. And capt price died at the game that he made debut, and honestly, idc about ghost, so yeah, that my point.
I never said it was strictly about Nintendo connection. Though Nintendo had previously collaborated with Tekken in Tag Tournament 2, going as far as to allow for a bunch of Nintendo costumes in the game, and Persona is part of the greater Megami Tensei series (and is the most popular branch of it, making it make the most sense to pick first for Smash), which absolutely does have strong ties to Nintendo. Also, both of those were long-running, popular, and iconic franchises from publishers that were already involved in Smash—one of which being the company that’s developing Smash itself.

Also, your argument against Call of Duty works against Dark Souls, too, you know? It’s not always about having a specific “big face” of the franchise, either, anyway—see Villager, Inkling, etc. And is Jonesy really much of a “big face” that people truly care about, anyway? From what I’ve seen, the opposite seems to be the case—people dislike him as a default skin. And I’ve tried not to insult the game or its characters at all until now…but it’s all just so incredibly generic feeling. That’s one of the biggest reasons why I can’t see it getting into Smash, honestly. I truly can’t imagine Nintendo and Sakurai actually choosing to put a Fortnite fighter in Smash.

Just because a game has a massive audience, it doesn’t mean that it gets a golden ticket into Smash…that’s my point here. But hey, maybe I’m wrong. We’ll find out in time, I’m sure. I’m just saying…don’t be surprised if Fortnite never gets a fighter in Smash. 🤷

Last edited:
I never said it was strictly about Nintendo connection. Though Nintendo had previously collaborated with Tekken with Tag Tournament 2, going as far to allow for a bunch of Nintendo costumes in the game, and Persona is part of the greater Megami Tensei series, which absolutely does have strong ties to Nintendo. Also, both of those were long-running, popular, and iconic franchises from publishers that were already involved in Smash—one of which being the company that’s developing Smash itself.

Also, your argument against Call of Duty works against Dark Souls, too, you know? It’s not always about having a specific “big face” of the franchise, either, anyway—see Villager, Inkling, etc. And is Jonesy really much of a “big face” that people truly care about, anyway? From what I’ve seen, the opposite seems to be the case—people dislike him as a default skin. And I’ve tried not to insult the game or its characters at all until now…but it’s all just so incredibly generic feeling. That’s one of the biggest reasons why I can’t see it getting into Smash, honestly. I truly can’t imagine Nintendo and Sakurai actually choosing to put a Fortnite fighter in Smash.

Just because a game has mass appeal, it doesn’t mean that it gets a golden ticket into Smash… But hey, maybe I’m wrong. We’ll find out in time, I’m sure. I’m just saying…don’t be surprised if Fortnite never gets a fighter in Smash. 🤷
Dude, im not saying that i expect jonesy in smash 6 (altough i see it as something almost inevitable in smash 7) im just saying that i wouldn't discard jonesy for smash bros at all in any way. Also, Dark souls it's a must be for smash 6 due to being the biggsst bandai namco franchise not being in smash bros yet. Yes, it's even bigger that tales of and soul calibur. Also, Dark souls has a amiibo.

Dude, tekken and persona has little to.no connection with Nintendo. Also, Fortnite has more sense to be compared with apex legends because they're both battle royale that are popular in both the West and Japan. Call of duty doesn't have a chance not because what you said, but because it doesn’t have a big face unlike Fortnite who obviously his face is Jonesy. But call of duty? It's a fight between capt price and ghost. And both are forgotteable at best as the faces of one of the biggest if not the biggest shooter franchise of all.
Tekken was on Wii U and There has now been multiple Persona games on Switch and 3Ds, Persona 5, the persona 5 spin offs etc. If Solid Snake From Metal gear could get in for like one game on gamecube then Im sure persona is a bit more connected to Nintendo than that.

Travis Touchdown
Shovel Knight
Jonesy and some of the other default characters(?) from Fortnite

I'm drawing a blank on newer female reps unfortunately.....
Its actually super weird that Travis is not in smash yet and I just realized this lol

Tekken was on Wii U and There has now been multiple Persona games on Switch and 3Ds, Persona 5, the persona 5 spin offs etc. If Solid Snake From Metal gear could get in for like one game on gamecube then Im sure persona is a bit more connected to Nintendo than that.
Still, i think that this is just another fan made rule. Also, the persona Switch games came years after joker got included in smash bros.

Dude, im not saying that i expect jonesy in smash 6 (altough i see it in smash 7) im just saying that i wouldn't discard jonesy for smash bros at all in any way. Also, Dark souls it's a must be for smash 6 due to being the biggsst bandai namco franchise not being in smash bros yet. Yes, it's even bigger that tales of and soul calibur. Also, Dark souls has a amiibo.
Okay, and I’m just saying that I see it as extremely unlikely. Don’t make a thread asking for people’s honest opinions if you’re just gonna reply “I know you’re wrong” to them when they disagree with you. I’m not saying anyone’s wrong for thinking differently than me on this subject, but I am explaining why I, personally, believe Fortnite to be unlikely to be chosen for Smash.

And regarding Dark Souls, just because it’s the next most popular franchise from Bandai Namco and has an amiibo doesn’t mean it’s guaranteed to be picked to be represented in Smash with a fighter. See Monster Hunter (or Resident Evil, though that once lacks an amiibo—not that having an amiibo particularly matters when stuff like the Loot Goblin amiibo exists that are wholly third-party manufactured), for example—far more popular than Mega Man or Street Fighter and it has amiibo, and yet it didn’t get a fighter but rather a boss/Assist Trophy instead. And that’s okay! Nintendo, Sakurai, and Capcom likely decided that Monster Hunter is best represented in Smash in that way, and the desire for them to make an actual Monster Hunter fighter just isn’t there, and that’s totally fine. Not every popular franchise has to get a fighter in Smash—some are just less fit for it than others, for a variety of reasons. I believe Dark Souls may be in that category, too.

Last edited:
I have a few ideas:

Zagreus from Hades
I sometimes struggle to think of Smash announcements that would really excite me nowadays, but these two right here would definitely do it.

...when did he say this
I don’t believe it’s ever been said that it’s a 100% hard rule, but if I recall correctly I believe Sakurai once said (I forget exactly when and where) that it’s somewhat of a “courtesy” for guest fighters to have at least appeared on a Nintendo system before. And so far, that has consistently been the case with every single guest fighter ever to be added to Smash, so I think it’s more than just a coincidence and likely is a legitimate “rule” to which Nintendo/Sakurai adheres. It also just makes sense.

I don’t believe it’s ever been said that it’s a 100% hard rule, but if I recall correctly I believe Sakurai once said (I forget exactly when and where) that it’s somewhat of a “courtesy” for guest fighters to have at least appeared on a Nintendo system before. And so far, that has consistently been the case with every single guest fighter ever to be added to Smash, so I think it’s more than just a coincidence and likely is a legitimate “rule” to which Nintendo/Sakurai adheres. It also just makes sense.
i don't see how it makes sense as more than just a courtesy since neither cloud strife nor joker had their main, introductory games on nintendo systems whatsoever. you could only find cloud strife in crossovers

i don't see how it makes sense as more than just a courtesy since neither cloud strife or joker had their main, introductory games on nintendo systems whatsoever. you could only find cloud strife in crossovers
I mean, it’s still Cloud and Joker all the same, regardless of if the games they appeared in on Nintendo systems before getting into Smash were “just spin-offs”. Also, perhaps more importantly, their respective franchises had been no stranger to Nintendo systems at all—early Final Fantasy and Shin Megami Tensei games had very close ties to Nintendo, after all.

I don’t even think I will buy Smash if Jonesy is invited!

Zagreus would be my pick since Hades was such a juggernaut on Switch.

I want to say Skyrim's Dragonborn, but considering the look and build is totally up to the character it might be hard to have a satisfying inclusion. You could have very different looks as alternate costumes, but still making a character who fights with two-handed swords would be unsatisfying for people who play as sneaky archers.

The Fun Gang from Deltarune
The Rabbids from specifically Mario + Rabbids
Cadence from the Necrodancer series
Freddy Fazbear from FNAF because it'd be funny

Every other pick I have is either from the 90s or 2000s.

Hero was announced before DQ11S was released. (Edit: Oh wait there was the 3DS version, forgot about that) Joker wouldn't make an appearance on a Nintendo console until over half a year after he was announced for Smash.

The only thing I can remotely think of like this being mentioned ever is someone at Capcom mentioning the DMC games should be on Switch before Dante gets into Smash, and then they put the DMC games on Switch and Dante got a Mii costume.
... actually if we include Mii costumes are there any Fallout games on Switch?
Anyways, hypothetical speculation about future Smash characters not having a game on Nintendo yet seems kinda pointless when they could just announce games coming to Nintendo in the years it takes for the next Smash game to come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom