• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club Whatcha Playin’ This Weekend, Fam? |5/17-5/19|

Red Monster

Professional Conversationalist
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
Hiya pals. Welcome to our weekly weekend thread. You should know how it goes by now, but in case you don’t, every week we have one of these threads where folks can talk about their weekend plans and what games they’re gonna play. It’s fun! Let’s go.

——————

My main goal this weekend will be to roll credits in Animal Well. This is a shockingly good metroidvania that should be played by anyone who has even a passing interest in the genre. Aside from that, I don’t really have much in the way of gaming plans. For weeks now I’ve been saying that I need to get back to Rebirth, and I do, but it’s such a big game that it’s difficult to actually start playing it again. Maybe I’ll do that, maybe I’ll start something short on Steam or pick up a retro game, I donno. Keeping it loose, I guess.

——————

So what games are you planning on playing this weekend? Stay safe, everyone!

Balatro update hit the Switch

Ajtvhyh.jpg

I'll have more time to play than usual this weekend, so I also want to:
  • Make some solid progress in FF7 Rebirth
  • Finish Crow Country
  • Finish Animal Well
  • Maybe start something newwww?

Finishing the adventure mode of operations guns in Vampire Survivor and will try to finish too Animal well

Lorelei and the Laser Eyes—it rocks so far. the game encourages playing "in a dimly lit room" so i'll probably try to save it for the mornings and/or evenings but i've found it tricky to pull myself away from so far
also gonna be getting back to Death Stranding now that my partner and I have woken up from a weeklong Animal Well trance. I think we're approaching the end? all the stuff with Heartman has been amazing but I'm ready to be past these snowy mountains

Taking a break from Dark Souls 2 to play through Ghost of Tsushima since it just released on PC.

Mostly the Marvel Rivals Closed Alpha until they kick us out on the 20th lol. Been a lot of fun!

Will attempt to find time to play Splatoon 3 as the next splatfest is this weekend as well.

Other games I may mix in depending: Exoprimal, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, Tales of Kenzera Zau.

I will log into Splatoon 3 for a little bit to play the splatfest tomorrow. Otherwise I will continue my Mother 3 playthrough that I started on my Analogue Pocket last week. First time playing through since the translation first came out. Holds up very well. Killing time until TTYD.

In Stars and Time is mine, and I'll probably be in the ride along for the end of Signalis and the entirety of Lorelei. If those get wrapped up quick maybe I'll do something else, I get the feeling I'm going to be forced into Spelunky 2 coop at some point.

It is Dragon Quest XI S time for me. I am on Puerto Valor after recently getting the ship. This is actually my second playthrough after more than three years, but this time I intend to do the post-game as well.

Something new for me today, going to start playing Sunset Overdrive on Steam Deck, now, I have played this before (on release on Xbox One) but never played the DLC. I remember enjoying it and I’m having a blast playing older generation stuff on the Deck so seems a good time to revisit it.

On Switch, I’m mostly waiting for TTYD remake next week so not playing much here atm, maybe a few more runs on Vampire Survivors if I get the time.

Have a great weekend Fami!

I've decided to make more time to play this weekend - it's Pentecost weekend here in Germany, so Monday will be free too - but instead of trying to get on with Bayonetta 3, I decided to take a break from it and go back to playing Rhapsody - A musical adventure. Last time, our plucky heroine left to give the prince some home-cooked fish! Will she be able to deliver it?

Diablo 4 season 4 started, so I'm back on my bullshit. But I'm gonna be traveling this weekend so I'll probably be playing Mario Party Superstars/Kirby's Air Ride with friends.

I have been bad and not played FFX recently but I will at least make time to play Mario Land now that it's on NSO. Work is gonna stop kicking my ass so much in a few weeks so I'm hoping I'll have more energy to play games then.

Final Fantasy XIV (PS5) is rerunning the Yokai Watch event and I want all the weapons from it, so a bit of grinding on that.

I've put down Rebel Transmute (Steam Deck) for now. Unfortunately, it feels derivative of Hollow Knight in gameplay and Metroid in visuals, without being as good as either. I'm not feeling it despite trying to soldier on, and as a result the fairly punishing difficulty just feels aggravating rather than engaging. In its place, getting in some more runs on Hades II (Steam Deck), and probably going to look at starting Another Crab's Treasure (Series S).

I've been dealing with terrible sinus stuff again lately but when I can play I've been playing Dragon's Dogma 2 and I really like it. Hope to play more this weekend

Biomutant, Lorelei, Animal Well, Nepnep Game Maker and Lysfanga. I'll play Biomutant the most, i think.

In Stars and Time is mine, and I'll probably be in the ride along for the end of Signalis and the entirety of Lorelei. If those get wrapped up quick maybe I'll do something else, I get the feeling I'm going to be forced into Spelunky 2 coop at some point.
Ooh, Signalis. That’s on my “games to play soon” short list. How are you getting on with it?

I'm finishing up Dragon's Dogma II. It's still a really enjoyable game to play -- in some ways, it feels kind of like an offshoot of classic Zelda, with exploration, combat, and dungeons. (Of course, there aren't really any items that enable new abilities and very little explicit puzzle solving, but instead a whole class and leveling system, as well as a party of four.)

Anyhow, I'm now in the endgame/postgame, which feels a bit shallow. Dark Arisen, being an expansion to the original Dragon's Dogma, may not be a fair point of comparison, but the lack of something like Bitterblack Island (or even the Everfall) is disappointing.

Ooh, Signalis. That’s on my “games to play soon” short list. How are you getting on with it?
Oh I've already played it at launch, just backseating somebody else through it now. Signalis rules, encapsulates a lot of the best aspects of classic psych and survival horror games. I especially love the presentation of everything, impeccable vibes.

Trying to finish Bayonetta 3 before TTYD comes out next week. I'll be optimistic and give myself a 70% chance of actually doing that.

I actually have decision paralysis right now. Too many games I now have that I want to play.

Super excited to jump back into the mecha pilot seat in Armored Core VI after an exhaustive work week, I'm trying to break free from Chapter 01 after finding all the additional/optional part logs I'm missing in replay mission mode.

It is sublime!

iu

Walking into the weekend with just two games, Love Live School Idol Festival 2 and Stellar Blade. For Love Live, provided I can beat the hardest track in the game, Colorful Dreams Colorful Smiles, I will be finishing every track on Master on Sunday which was my last big goal in the game. There’s also the final event going on I want to tackle. As for Stellar Blade, I’m past the first point of no return and I’m in the hidden level so I’m getting close to the end. Good chance I’ll roll credits this weekend. I’m not sure if I’ll be going for the other two endings or not and thus the Platinum trophy yet. No promises, but I do want to play Mario Land for VolcanicDynamo’s Mario event rerun if I have the time. Should be a good weekend regardless!

I've been playing Animal Well as well and I think I'm quite far though I probably won't finish it this weekend. Alternating between that and Mario Tennis on GBC.

Not much this weekend, as I'm away for a conference - just a little Crypt of the Necrodancer. Calm before the TTYD-induced storm, though - I suspect I'll be playing it non-stop once it releases.

Gonna be dividing my attention for a few hobbies this weekend. I'm intent on finishing the sand art I've been working on, plus finally watching Dune Part 2. I'll probably pump my remaining free time into scouring the ocean in Another Crab's Treasure. It's handily my favorite Souls-like by now.

I finished my N64 Paper Mario playthrough this past Monday, and the overwhelming anticipation I have for The Thousand Year Door’s incoming remake means I won’t be picking up anything major from the backlog (since it’d just get immediately dropped come Thursday).

Instead, I’m gonna be messing around in Splatoon 3 with this weekend’s Splatfest, and playing a bit of Endless Ocean Luminous to calm me down from the inevitable frustration I’ll be feeling as a result of said Splatfest :)

Finished the dlc for vampire survivors, played some picross, finished Mario Land, played some Alleyway, played some Genesis app to show Nintendo someone still cares about it. Oh and look Nintendo is advertising Genesis app on the nso app randomly. As if they're telling people to please download and play it. It's been almost a year since we got new games for it. The number of downloads and playtime must be dreadful to abandon it.

With SMTV: Vengeance releasing next month and the OG SMTV getting delisted on the eShop soon, I've decided to start... SMTV.
Boy, I'm kinda glad I did because the first thing I realized was that I need to download DLC for Japanese voices. Better do so while it's still up on the eShop.

My first exposure to SMT is in Strange Journey (not completed) and Devil Survivor (Human route). Played through P5 and most of its spin-off though. Time to team up with demons to kick my friends' arse.

I also reached the credits in Animal Well, and will probably step away for a moment before diving deeper into the post-game content. This means more Final Fantasy VII Remake for the weekend!

Mainly stitched. I've completed 115 of the games 134 puzzles so far.

I did pick up Balatro and Alba A Wildlife Adventure on sale, looking forward to playing those.

Getting in some more TotK before inevitably shelving that for TTYD next week. Currently on a mission to map the entire depths! I think I'm already over two thirds atm, it's a fun challenge

Couldn't sleep too well last night and wound up finishing Animal Well, it was OK. There are of course lots of secrets etc left to find, but I didn't really like it enough to go there with it.

On the other hand I started Indika and...wowza.

9a3ciC5.jpeg

Tormented Souls
A homage to classic Resident Evil games, especially the first one. Fixed cameras, tank controls, notes that expand the story, limited ammo, limited saves, everything is here. It's full 3D, no prerendered backgrounds, so the fixed cameras are dynamic as well. There's also a great emphasis on puzzles which I love and really miss from modern RE games.
The story is interesting so far, they only bad thing is the horrendous voice acting. Maybe it's on purpose to feel like the 90s?
I will write more when I'll finish it, but so far it's fantastic!

My main thing I'm working through right now on tv is still Pillars of Eternity, still loving it! I think I spent almost all of my time since last weekend's thread just exploring Defiance Bay and almost exclusively adventuring within the city walls, it's so satisfyingly dense and pull of interesting quests. I've been playing bits and pieces of Diablo 4 again too with the new major update. I really liked it before and I like it even more now, just a really fun game to bash away at.

On the switch I'm playing Pentiment! I just hit the end of act 1, and I really like how freeform the narrative feels, it feels like I'm carving out my own version of the story as much as I'm discovering a locked in progression of events; I have no idea how much that's real or if the game just does an exceptional job of making your actions feel that meaningful, but when it feels as such I don't think it really matters, at least for this first playthrough. Very good!

I wrapped up Dragon's Dogma II last night (worse endgame/ending than the previous game, but otherwise a fun 60+ hours), so if I play anything for the remainder of the weekend it'll be smaller indie (continuing Chants of Sennaar or A Space for the Unbound, both of which I started last year) and/or a familiar retro game (I played through the light world of A Link to the Past again last week on NSO and perpetually cycle through Super Mario 1/2/3/World).

Back
Top Bottom