• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion What company do you think nintendo should buy?

What compony should nintendo buy?

• Monolith soft

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Platnium

Votes: 16 11.3%
  • Sega

Votes: 19 13.4%
  • Square

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • Namco

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • Other

Votes: 19 13.4%
  • Nintendo shouldn't buy any

Votes: 58 40.8%

• Total voters
4nThMnd.jpeg

I mean..if it's over 51% they essentially do own them
What would companies be without all the annoying technicalities?

What I feel they should do is get more involved with GameFreak when it comes to developing mainline games an ensure that at least certain technical standards are met
You’re not wrong.

You're the most real person on this site
I swear I’m a real, organic person!

I think Nintendo would probably net benefit from purchasing any of those companies (or Capcom, which isn't on the list). They won't though and they don't need to. Bandai Namco is a smart pick because they already help out quite a bit with some of Nintendo's first party catalogue this generation, but as long as these companies remain independent (Monolith Soft excluded) I don't see a reason for Nintendo to purchase them.

Sega is a great pick here but I would guess they're off the table. Nintendo buying Namco would bring things full circle and clear up a path for Goku in Smash as a first party, so I will go with that.

They should buy my company. It only employs me and I don't make anything. But Nintendo should do it regardless.

I'm gonna say that Nintendo acquiring PlatinumGames is still super unrealistic. But with them seemingly not working on Nier and Kamiya gone... I'm not even sure who'd care anymore. It'd be a far cry from the reactions to Bayonetta 2 being a Wii U exclusive got.

Strategically, the answer is Bandai Namco. Helps with so many of their games, and can generate additional revenue by continuing to publish games on other platforms.

I'm gonna say that Nintendo acquiring PlatinumGames is still super unrealistic. But with them seemingly not working on Nier and Kamiya gone... I'm not even sure who'd care anymore. It'd be a far cry from the reactions to Bayonetta 2 being a Wii U exclusive got.
This is ironically more realistic at this point than Kamiya joining Nintendo / Nintendo funding a Kamiya exclusive like some people seem to think they will lol.

When Babylon's Fall gets revealed at the Switch 2 showcase

a0d686ebb661ae1ed9479eead63400bc_w200.gif

I don't think Nintendo needs to (or even should) buy any developer.
What I feel they should do is get more involved with GameFreak when it comes to developing mainline games an ensure that at least certain technical standards are met.
to add some seriousness to my posts in this thread - i very much stand by this! further fund and develop your already owned studios rather than playing the stupid consolidation game
Does this make us capitalists?
only for nintendo, baby!

If I can put my “acquisitions bad” sign down and get in the headspace of a Nintendo executive for a minute, I can think of some companies Nintendo would consider buying (it’s none of the ones listed)

-Armor Project, Yuji Horii’s company that is the primary rights holder for very popular and often-Nintendo-aligned IP Dragon Quest
-HAL Laboratory, so they can completely own very popular and often-Nintendo-aligned IP Kirby
-Hobonichi, Shigesato Itoi’s company and presumed rights holder of the popular and Nintendo-aligned IP Mother/Earthbound
-Game Freak and TPC, owners of Nintendo-aligned IP Pokemon

basically it’d all come down to securing Nintendo-aligned but not owned IP under the Nintendo stable, as for them right now, IP is far and away their most important asset

Strategically, the answer is Bandai Namco. Helps with so many of their games, and can generate additional revenue by continuing to publish games on other platforms.
There is no way Nintendo would spend the cash to acquire Bandai. They make huge money off merch for series like Gundam and Dragon Ball, they’d ask for a big chunk of change.

Why buy up a studio, when you could just establish a new studio and let the talent come to you?

Like, if it were me, I would open up a studio in the UK and give the people at the recently shuttered Free Radical a new home, so that they can make the types of games that the Switch's successor could always use more of.
Uno reverse

Why take a risk on building up a new studio with unproven talent when you can buy an already established team with popular ip for a similar cost? You can leverage their skill and ip along with your other teams to create new opportunities for dormant IP, or push smaller ip to greater heights with a larger marketing machine behind them.

Both are completely valid methods of expansion, and Nintendo should absolutely do both to stay competitive in this industry.

This is ironically more realistic at this point than Kamiya joining Nintendo / Nintendo funding a Kamiya exclusive like some people seem to think they will lol.
Yeah, Nintendo funding a Kamiya project when he doesn’t have a studio but is basically a free agent is an absolute pipedream.

If I can put my “acquisitions bad” sign down and get in the headspace of a Nintendo executive for a minute, I can think of some companies Nintendo would consider buying (it’s none of the ones listed)

-Armor Project, Yuji Horii’s company that is the primary rights holder for very popular and often-Nintendo-aligned IP Dragon Quest
-HAL Laboratory, so they can completely own very popular and often-Nintendo-aligned IP Kirby
-Hobonichi, Shigesato Itoi’s company and presumed rights holder of the popular and Nintendo-aligned IP Mother/Earthbound
-Game Freak and TPC, owners of Nintendo-aligned IP Pokemon

basically it’d all come down to securing Nintendo-aligned but not owned IP under the Nintendo stable, as for them right now, IP is far and away their most important asset
But they don't need to buy HAL, Hobonichi or Game Freak, though (nor IntSys or Creatures). They wouldn't gain anything.

Armor Project, on the other hand... Nintendo has always had an interest for DQ. Locking the DQ rights without trying a Square-Enix buyout might be smart.

Ok, I want this one to happen. By alpha dream’s corpse, resurrect it, and make a new entry of their superior Mario RPG series. Or just contract with the Sea of Stars people or something.

None. Consolidation is bad for the industry, and this would only hurt the employees at these companies.

Only time I can support Nintendo buying a company or studio is if it's a Next Level situation: it's a long-time partner who is actively looking for a buyer.

Nintendo is big enough for its studios/projects to put out a game every month or so. That’s big enough, isn’t it? They already take on publishing duties and partnerships and regular outsourcing for various stuff on top of that. I don’t see why unbridled growth is a necessity when theres a ton of studios willing to work with them without Nintendo needing to own them.

Uno reverse

Why take a risk on building up a new studio with unproven talent when you can buy an already established team with popular ip for a similar cost? You can leverage their skill and ip along with your other teams to create new opportunities for dormant IP, or push smaller ip to greater heights with a larger marketing machine behind them.

Both are completely valid methods of expansion, and Nintendo should absolutely do both to stay competitive in this industry.
See, I'd agree, but this also segues into arguments like "Why didn't Nintendo 'save' AlphaDream?".

Buying up a studio means you may get the established team as is, as well as their IP (assuming they own it). But you also have to pony up the dough for whatever incurred costs of operation and debts may be. And depending on how the studio was run, with whatever established culture thereof, that could be more trouble than it's worth.

It's little wonder why someone like Nintendo probably prefers to not write so many checks to just buy up companies, and have to put in the extra work to get them acclimated to Nintendo's culture. Why do that, when you could, at best, do more arrangements like with Brownie Brown (later, 1up Studio), and set up a subsidiary founded specifically to house talent that you most wish to beckon to?

I want them to buy Sega.

That way, Sega would genuinely be back in the console race (sorta).

Also, I'd absolutely trust Nintendo to make Dreamcast Mini happen.

They should buyout the other 2/3 that own Pokemon

See, I'd agree, but this also segues into arguments like "Why didn't Nintendo 'save' AlphaDream?".

Buying up a studio means you may get the established team as is, as well as their IP (assuming they own it). But you also have to pony up the dough for whatever incurred costs of operation and debts may be. And depending on how the studio was run, with whatever established culture thereof, that could be more trouble than it's worth.

It's little wonder why someone like Nintendo probably prefers to not write so many checks to just buy up companies, and have to put in the extra work to get them acclimated to Nintendo's culture. Why do that, when you could, at best, do more arrangements like with Brownie Brown (later, 1up Studio), and set up a subsidiary founded specifically to house talent that you most wish to beckon to?
Cause Alpha Dreams was a poorly run sinking ship who were only good at pumping out Mario & Luigi games to diminishing returns.

Ultimately it comes down to how big is the company Nintendo is buying. If it's a single studio with 0-1 big IP like Alpha Dreams, the recently shuttered Free Radical, or Platinum, I agree with your points and would say "it's probably better to make a new studio". If Nintendo is buying/merging with say a Capcom, Bandai Namco, etc there's clearly a lot more going into that. Securing ip to become exclusive not just for games but for things like merch and movies will go really far for Nintendo.

What is with people and cheering on corporate consolidation, it's so fucking weird

It seems to be the world we live in now.

I'm not a fan, I don't like it, but if I wanted Nintendo to acquire anyone it'd be Sega. It's just poetic, written in the stars, a scar of every schoolyard battlefield that could finally be healed.

Or, you know, it's just the possibilities it would bring would be pretty fuckin' epic.

What is with people and cheering on corporate consolidation, it's so fucking weird
I don’t think it’s that weird. There are companies out there that Nintendo could add value to. And some of the Nintendo releases being a bit undercooked (Switch Sports for example) recently suggests that Nintendo are struggling to grow organically whilst still maintaining a good output.

It’s not difficult to think that as the Switch 2 will inevitably require more resources to develop for and as Nintendo can’t rely on Wii U ports too full gaps, they might struggle to reach a good level of output for the new system.

It makes sense to grow a bit quicker. Maybe through an acquisition.

Sega is a tempting one. Imagine Nintendo putting a few producers on Sonic and giving it the VIP treatment they give Mario. I would be insane. But I’m not sure it would happen. I actually feel like Sonic is just difficult to translate into 3D. Sega are also really really big and it would require a LOT of work to integrate. You’d probably lose more man hours than you’d gain.

Konami are kind of the same, but I do want to see Nintendo apply a bit of pressure there. Maybe by upping their share that they own. Konami is bursting with great IP that they’re not really doing anything with, like Castlevania and there’s a big ol pile of stuff that could add to NSO. I also just want to see them but Konami and then sack all of the awful management there (the way they treat their workers is insane).

I only have a Switch, so I want them to put Silent Hill games there. I also want them to put Pro Evo on the Switch and bring it back to it’s glory days.

Level 5 makes sense. Great IP, badly mismanaged. But I think some Things like Layton might have just been products of their time.

I guess I want them to buy something they don’t have. Something like Codemasters would have been great for them.

I don’t think it’s that weird. There are companies out there that Nintendo could add value to. And some of the Nintendo releases being a bit undercooked (Switch Sports for example) recently suggests that Nintendo are struggling to grow organically whilst still maintaining a good output.

It’s not difficult to think that as the Switch 2 will inevitably require more resources to develop for and as Nintendo can’t rely on Wii U ports too full gaps, they might struggle to reach a good level of output for the new system.

It makes sense to grow a bit quicker. Maybe through an acquisition.

Sega is a tempting one. Imagine Nintendo putting a few producers on Sonic and giving it the VIP treatment they give Mario. I would be insane. But I’m not sure it would happen. I actually feel like Sonic is just difficult to translate into 3D. Sega are also really really big and it would require a LOT of work to integrate. You’d probably lose more man hours than you’d gain.

Konami are kind of the same, but I do want to see Nintendo apply a bit of pressure there. Maybe by upping their share that they own. Konami is bursting with great IP that they’re not really doing anything with, like Castlevania and there’s a big ol pile of stuff that could add to NSO. I also just want to see them but Konami and then sack all of the awful management there (the way they treat their workers is insane).

I only have a Switch, so I want them to put Silent Hill games there. I also want them to put Pro Evo on the Switch and bring it back to it’s glory days.

Level 5 makes sense. Great IP, badly mismanaged. But I think some Things like Layton might have just been products of their time.

I guess I want them to buy something they don’t have. Something like Codemasters would have been great for them.
Konami is unlikely seeing as console games is a relatively small part of their business.

Nintendo doesn’t need to buy anyone. They make the best games with the developers they have already. Buying more would be just greedy

Not a fan of industry consolidation so if they can avoid buying companies I'm good with that.

I think they mentioned post the NLG purchase that they arent chasing big buys, but rather when it makes sense - as in when a valuable partner is looking to sell they step in. I think that's a pretty good way to handle it.

So.. if Platinum Games for instance would approach Nintendo with the fact that they were looking to sell - I'm sure they would try to make it work. Otherwise I think they're pretty content with the relationships they have and their approach to partnered games.

I would argue that Nintendo should look into acquisitions just not necessarily whoever gaming communities think they should. It will be more along the lines of Dynamo Pictures &/or close partners w/an inclination of being bought out.

None of the big publishers.

In terms or devs, buying platinum might be a good idea so they aren't constantly swinging back and forth between work for hire and on edge of failing If an experimental IP doesn't work.

Generally with Grezzo, Platinum and most 2nd party studios they work with, I want them to have some financial stake to prevent them from closing, getting poached by someone else or losing focus making work for hire games to pay the bills.

Speaking of which, I really hope Grezzo is doing something for Nintendo. It's been too long.

Nintendo will buy Camelot when the Takahashi brothers retire.

Camelot is one studio that needs to expand. They have about 30 people at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom