• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion What company do you think nintendo should buy?

What compony should nintendo buy?

• Monolith soft

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Platnium

Votes: 16 11.2%
  • Sega

Votes: 19 13.3%
  • Square

Votes: 12 8.4%
  • Namco

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • Other

Votes: 19 13.3%
  • Nintendo shouldn't buy any

Votes: 59 41.3%

• Total voters

lemonfresh

#Team2024
Pronouns
He/Him
Throughout the years nintendo has bought some smaller companies like next level games or hal, but do you think it's time for Nintendo to buy a bigger dev, something like Monolith or Platinum. The latter already kinda makes games mostly for Nintendo and has even helped nintendo make games so I kinda see them doing it, whst do you guys think?

Last edited:
Not sure if WB is willing to sell Monolith. They're too useful to them: FEAR, Middle Earth series, Condemned and the upcoming Wonder Woman game...

I like that you misspelled Platinum in both your post and the poll.

diablo-joke.gif

Looking at Nintendo's output and market performance, I think they have a solid structure set up and dont need to make any acquisitions. I dont think Nintnedo has interests in any of those. I dont think Nintendo feels the need to change thier behavior when they already have very strong partnerships with some those companies. Like doesnt Bandai Namco have a whole studio dedicated to Nintemdo games or did I mishear about that?

Also, how is Monoltith set up? I thiught Nintendo owned them.

Personally would love to have MAGES around (they are issues with that like any purchase).

But realistically no one really comes to mind that would be a plus. Given their partnership strategy it would be hard so say unless someone they really like went under. For example if MercurySteam was under Embracer and they were on the chopping block maybe (they are under a Nordic company).

I voted Sega as they would absolutely add eons more resources, an entire console history, and of course Sonic and other legendary IP to Nintendo's catalog. Really Nintendo would be set for life and would never need to buy another dev again.

Platinum are long overdue and I feel are more and more heading downward if Kamiya's seen the writing on the wall. Won't be long IMO until Nintendo will truly need to bail them out.

Not listed but 8ing, especially after Pikmin 4 are ripe for the picking. They've long focused primarily on Nintendo systems with only occasional non-Nintendo system work. Put a ring on it already!

And I am eternally sick of the notion that Nintendo shouldn't buy anyone. I don't see people complaining when MS or Sony do it. Gee I wonder why...

And I am eternally sick of the notion that Nintendo shouldn't buy anyone. I don't see people complaining when MS or Sony do it. Gee I wonder why...

lmao bro what world do you live in? there's tons of dissent about microsoft and sony buying studios. i dont think nintendo should do it either!

But he's only available in a bundle with a bunch of hollywood people, and Geoff Keighly.

Bad value for the money.
Nintendo should buy Hollywood

Also, how is Monoltith set up? I thiught Nintendo owned them
Nintendo owns like 97% of Monolith Soft IIRC

Some obviously, but the vast majority cheer on those acquisitions.
Don’t worry, we didn’t cheer for those and we wouldn’t cheer for Nintendo acquiring anyone either

Why buy up a studio, when you could just establish a new studio and let the talent come to you?

Like, if it were me, I would open up a studio in the UK and give the people at the recently shuttered Free Radical a new home, so that they can make the types of games that the Switch's successor could always use more of.

Not listed but 8ing, especially after Pikmin 4 are ripe for the picking. They've long focused primarily on Nintendo systems with only occasional non-Nintendo system work. Put a ring on it already!
...we are talking about the same 8ing that has a history of various fighting game work, with a newly announced Hunter X Hunter game being the latest in that vein?

If so, I must protest. The world would be much lesser if they became exclusive to Nintendo, and no longer allowed to produce that kind of work. Even Konami has made moves that make it sound like Bloody Roar isn't completely off the table!

I mean realistically, the likeliest candidates for a Nintendo acquisition are the "wait, they didn't already own them?" studios like HAL and IntSys, or things that the average person hasn't really ever heard of (Dynamo Pictures, SRD) rather than any big recognizable name. The "big swing" kind of acquisitions seem more about locking down IP than talent, and Nintendo already has more IP than it knows what to do with. I could maybe see them considering Level-5 or Platinum if those studios got into real dire straits and were bargain bin cheap, but 99 times out of 100 it makes more sense to just hire the talent individually rather than pay for a studio name

In the hypothetical world where they ever actually were to start taking big swings like we've seen from MS and Sony, my top guesses would be Bandai-Namco or Koei Tecmo. Maybe try to peel off some teams associated with big publishers (e.g. Team Asano, Armor Project, Ubisoft Milan)

There'd maybe be some sense in going after one of the bigger indies like Wayforward or Inti Creates and having them help fill the "smaller-scale budget eshop title" niche that we don't see as much of these days, but that's also mostly me imagining a Shantae game with an actual budget behind it

In conclusion, they should buy From Software for maximum chaos

(also you can take Monolith Soft off the poll; they're already a Nintendo subsidiary)

I don't want Nintendo to buy shit. Corporate consolidation sucks ass.

But Nintendo is probably ramping up some of that stuff anyways, so...

They definitely should buy microsoft. It’s a big bundle with lots of devs and even Windows. And then could call their next console Xcube. And to bully Sega the should rename Windows to Nintendows./s

I'm happy to see Nintendo make acquisitions like SRD or Next Level, when long-standing partners want to be bought out, but I've no real desire to see them engage in Acquisition Wars; especially not publisher acquisitions.

At most, I'd maybe want them to buy Platinum to rescue Platinum from their own bull-headedness, but I'm guessing the desire for long-term independence is still in place there. On top of that, I doubt Platinum can afford to lose contract work with Nintendo and I expect Nintendo are happy to keep that particular niche going on a contractual basis too.

I'd like them to just continue collaborating with third parties on supervised productions.

Would love to see them work with House House.

Nintendo has said buying studios doesn’t guarantee the talent stays, so they don’t have a ton of incentive to do so unless they have a long standing working relationship like they did with Next Level. And that was mostly due to the ownership wanting to sell. It’s better for them to moneyhat exclusives or work on development of first sorry titles (like Smash and FE).

Some of these options in the poll don’t even make sense. Sega and Namco are part of big conglomerates and wouldn’t fit the portfolio of Nintendo with things like gambling business or anime studios.

The one thing I wouldn’t mind if possible would be buying out IP, but even things like Castlevania gets made into pachinko machines. That probably is hard to do though.

The main companies I’d wanna see Nintendo acquire would be long time partners, like what they did with Next Level Games, so developers like Mercury Steam or maybe even Platinum Games, if they’re honestly struggling, would be good gets. But I wouldn’t want to see them buying massive publishers or studios like MS or Sony have done. More games being multiplatform is better for the industry

Why buy Square Enix when you can, and have successfully done so in the past, poach their talent?

Honestly the only companies I can see them picking up at some point would be HAL or Intelligent Systems and that will be when the owners decide they want to sell. Much like that support company they grabbed a year ago that had been working with Nintendo for some 30 years.

I don't think Nintendo needs to (or even should) buy any developer.
What I feel they should do is get more involved with GameFreak when it comes to developing mainline games an ensure that at least certain technical standards are met.

anyone they can afford to buy they should

Nintendo doesn't offer a cheap way to access games like Microsoft's Game Pass though so I'd be a little bit less hype about it

Back
Top Bottom