• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion What company do you think nintendo should buy?

What compony should nintendo buy?

• Monolith soft

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Platnium

Votes: 16 11.3%
  • Sega

Votes: 19 13.4%
  • Square

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • Namco

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • Other

Votes: 19 13.4%
  • Nintendo shouldn't buy any

Votes: 58 40.8%

• Total voters
image.png

Take note that I made this purely for the IP's. I see a lot of negativity about aquisitions, and it's getting late for me, so I won't argue about that much.

I pick Level-5 as a reasonable one, as they do a lot for Nintendo, like Layton, Yo-kai Watch, Inazuma Eleven, Fantasy Life, and I believe the company had some troubles with the western development. I think that if Ninty bought them, they shouldn't have to fear for that anymore. It was such a shame when I didn't saw Level-5 games for long time.

Capcom, and this is again purely for their IP's. If they were bought by Nintendo, I'm sure we hear a lot more about Mega Man, but having the latest Street Fighter games would be cool aswell. I do fear Sony would buy Capcom, and that the beloved Ace Attorney series and Monster Hunter series would no longer be on Nintendo platforms again.

Ah, Take Two Interactive. This would be a personal dream come true. You know why exactly. If they bought Take Two, then they also bought Rockstar, and then Nintendo has GTA, Red Dead Redemption, Bully for themselves. This way, my beloved character CJ from San Andreas would have a way bigger chance in Smash, aswell as for Arthur Morgan and John Marston. With T2, they also would have 2K and have the NBA games on their menu, aswell as the Mafia series, Civilazation, and I think Borderlands and Bioshock(?) aswell. But it won't come true, I know, that's written in the stars, but man, would I be a happy man if that comes true, haha.

image.png

Take note that I made this purely for the IP's. I see a lot of negativity about aquisitions, and it's getting late for me, so I won't argue about that much.

I pick Level-5 as a reasonable one, as they do a lot for Nintendo, like Layton, Yo-kai Watch, Inazuma Eleven, Fantasy Life, and I believe the company had some troubles with the western development. I think that if Ninty bought them, they shouldn't have to fear for that anymore. It was such a shame when I didn't saw Level-5 games for long time.

Capcom, and this is again purely for their IP's. If they were bought by Nintendo, I'm sure we hear a lot more about Mega Man, but having the latest Street Fighter games would be cool aswell. I do fear Sony would buy Capcom, and that the beloved Ace Attorney series and Monster Hunter series would no longer be on Nintendo platforms again.

Ah, Take Two Interactive. This would be a personal dream come true. You know why exactly. If they bought Take Two, then they also bought Rockstar, and then Nintendo has GTA, Red Dead Redemption, Bully for themselves. This way, my beloved character CJ from San Andreas would have a way bigger chance in Smash, aswell as for Arthur Morgan and John Marston. With T2, they also would have 2K and have the NBA games on their menu, aswell as the Mafia series, Civilazation, and I think Borderlands and Bioshock(?) aswell. But it won't come true, I know, that's written in the stars, but man, would I be a happy man if that comes true, haha.
Nintendo buying take 2 would destroy the internet

Capcom, really. Or at least a 50% share that save them Capcom - IP's for their platform. Capcom matches very well with Nintendo.

Level 5 or Platinum could also fit

1. Are they too expensive to be worth it?
2. Can you retain and redirect talent to work on IPs that have more potential than what they are already doing? Or will their IPs do well for Nintendo?
3. Is Nintendo already receiving ports games from those devs?
4. Why not just partner for 1-2 projects when relevant? Maybe for subscription/microtransaction rev, or potential large scale projects the company couldn't fund themselves.
5. Would Sony/MS want to get involved/create a bidding war?

Are there any companies that satisfy this criteria? Its very limiting.

Maybe CD project would be interesting, they are deflated from their peak hype levels, have games that may do well on Switch/2 that may not otherwise come. Of course you have the overseas ownership/polish consideration. And they are really pushing high end tech hard right now, but that might translate to an Nvidia/switch 2 partnership of some sort. Probably too expensive/complicated and would require a different change in strategy. And Sony/MS might make moves to be involved also.

5th Cell made a variety of games for Warner/THQ including drawn to life/scribblenauts. But they don't seem like a great bet right now. But that's the sort of gamble you may have to take with acquisitions. But anything that could be successful likely wouldn't be too intense and would work on Switch 1/2 already so not much upside.

Indies could be good value, but then they stop being indies. Although I'm sure Nintendo wouldn't mess them up any. Most indie games come to Switch anyway, so you would need to look at larger indies, which also get attention from Sony/MS

I feel like Capcom would be too expensive to be worth it. They'd have high expectations with Monsters Hunter dollars. Nintendo will get a new top selling monster hunter anyway and Switch 2 ports of Street fighter or other big titles seem like reasonable assumptions.

Platinum action games oriented around a Nintendo IP may sell very well, and of course Bayo and Astral Chain are okay to keep around. Getting a new Nier (or nier like game or whatever happens with Square/Taro) locked down for Switch 2 could also be lucrative. But I feel like given their inconsistency, Nintendo may not want to pay for them...and Switch got most of their games anyway. And they have a close enough partership at times already.

Sega Sammy is busy with Super games (GAAS?) and remakes and seem to be asserting themselves right now. Also fairly expensive. Atlus is notable, right now there are some Microsoft dollars involved. Sonic already comes to Nintendo and I feel like Persona games will eventually to. The holdout is Yakuza, which I think would sell well for Nintendo. I don't know what Nintendo makes of that though.

Square would be very expensive. They might be worth it, maybe, now that they may be desperate post crypto/ and western IPs are spun off (in bad deal, but it should lower their expectations). But they'd likely get a bidding war with Sony, who I feel are more likely to spend up. Square is unlikely to take any deal anyway, right now they can release whatever they think works on whatever platform and get Sony money to cover some risk. If FF7R/FF15/16/14 or other products, KH or whatever are possible on Switch 2 they may very well come anyway, hard to say. Not that main line FF or KH or whatever games wouldn't do well with a Switch 2 focus.

Level 5 might be worthwhile, but most their games likely come to Nintendo anyway.

If any of their close partners like Hall or Gamefreak decide to move away from Nintendo, or need more support/direction they could make sense (idk maybe watch whatever bloom ends up being) but this don't add too much new to Nintendo's repertoire.

Joke Answer:
Capcom, because then Monster Hunter will be an exclusive and I would get the cool crossover Nintendo IPs weapons and armor again.

Clearly this is a hint they're buying Hasbro next. Optimus Prime finally duking it out with Twilight Sparkle in the next Smash Bros.

I low key would actually pay for this.

Just saw this post now and I wanna add that this would not only be the funniest thing, but also it would pave the way for the Vivian and Arcee team-up comic I've been dreaming of

So I've actually been thinking about this and a few companies that would round out Nintendo's development portfolio are
Mercury Steam and Eidos-Montreal. Especially since the Embracer group are struggling, if they could snap up Eidos and a number of IP like Tomb Raider, Thief, Legacy of Kain and Deus Ex that would be an entire corner of games that Nintendo doesn't have command over.

So I've actually been thinking about this and a few companies that would round out Nintendo's development portfolio are
Mercury Steam and Eidos-Montreal. Especially since the Embracer group are struggling, if they could snap up Eidos and a number of IP like Tomb Raider, Thief, Legacy of Kain and Deus Ex that would be an entire corner of games that Nintendo doesn't have command over.
This is actually a really good point. Thereโ€™s a few Embracer studios that could probably do with saving. If Nintendo were careful about picking some, they could really save some peopleโ€™s jobs and get some games they maybe otherwise wouldnโ€™t.

Iโ€™d like to see Nintendo have an offshoot brand that can publish games that arenโ€™t very Nintendo-y.

Whomever talked about Camelot having only 30 staff, thatโ€™s a great point, too. Thereโ€™s a few studios that could do with extra investment to grow and take the next step.

Alpha dream is actually a perfect point, here. I believe they got stuck doing Mario and Luigi for DS level hardware because they didnโ€™t own the IP, so werenโ€™t able to use successes to expand and take on bigger stuff. If theyโ€™d had been second party, I think Nintendo would have found it easier to invest and grow them properly.

I would love to see Sumo Digital get bought by Nintendo. They seem to have just done work for hire of various quality, but I think if they were given real direction and focus they could make something great.

My mind let me think Tomb Raider is more of a PlayStation affiliated icon, so I giggle a bit about the thought of that becoming a Nintendo IP in the end. Would be pretty neat, tho

Monolith Soft was adopted 16 years ago, why we still treating them like they aren't a real part of the fami? ๐Ÿ˜ญ

As for the question at hand, if Furukawa sent me an email saying that he has been overtaken by an otherworldly urge to acquire studios, Level 5 would be a good choice. I already spent years thinking Professor Layton was a Nintendo series, so might as well make that official, right? And I don't trust Level 5 to have their shit together when it comes to worldwide publishing and distribution yet. As for a left field pick, maybe Eidos-Montrรฉal? Embracer Group is collapsing like a house of cards, and Nintendo doesn't really have anything that hits the same notes as Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, or Thief under its belt. Plus, it gives Next Level Games a Canadian sibling.

This is actually a really good point. Thereโ€™s a few Embracer studios that could probably do with saving. If Nintendo were careful about picking some, they could really save some peopleโ€™s jobs and get some games they maybe otherwise wouldnโ€™t.

Iโ€™d like to see Nintendo have an offshoot brand that can publish games that arenโ€™t very Nintendo-y.

Whomever talked about Camelot having only 30 staff, thatโ€™s a great point, too. Thereโ€™s a few studios that could do with extra investment to grow and take the next step.

Alpha dream is actually a perfect point, here. I believe they got stuck doing Mario and Luigi for DS level hardware because they didnโ€™t own the IP, so werenโ€™t able to use successes to expand and take on bigger stuff. If theyโ€™d had been second party, I think Nintendo would have found it easier to invest and grow them properly.

I would love to see Sumo Digital get bought by Nintendo. They seem to have just done work for hire of various quality, but I think if they were given real direction and focus they could make something great.

That's my thoughts exactly, plus the fact with Switch 2 bringing such an increase in performance over the current Switch, development staff will need to increase. So why not go for a couple of studios that are already up to speed developing games with the current level of fidelity in games.

My mind let me think Tomb Raider is more of a PlayStation affiliated icon, so I giggle a bit about the thought of that becoming a Nintendo IP in the end. Would be pretty neat, tho
Sony has too many of similar style franchises for Tomb Raider to have the runway to be successful currently, but I do get what you are saying in Tomb Raider having old ties to PlayStation.

Personally, I see the market crashing and Nintendo withstanding the storm with their large cash reserves and no debt. Would Nintendo buy companies then? Maybe just their closest partners to prevent them from going under.

The only situation that makes sense is to get competent people who meet specific needs.

For example, buying next level games means securing people who have shown that they fit Nintendoโ€™s needs very well for Luigiโ€™s Mansion.

Whether through internal or external growth, the only thing that matters is peopleโ€™s talent. And their adequacy with the games that Nintendo wants to develop.

If I was told that Nintendo had to buy Mercury Steam or should have done as it was possible, I would agree because Nintendo clearly needed to get the resources to continue to support 2D Metroid.

But simply fetishizing the consolidation of the industry as if companies were Lego while this crappy situation causes layoffs, violence, crunch, and barriers to creativity is really something I would never understand.

image.png

This post personally hurts and depresses me. Makes me want to go Kratos mode.

Alright mandatory โ€œI donโ€™t want Nintendo to buy anyone corporate consolidation is badโ€ statement out of the way if Nintendo were to buy any companies it would probably be some of their close partners. While probably not IS or Hal I could see Grezzo or Good-Feel as potential acquisitions. Camelot I could also see due to the Takahashi brothers nearing retirement age. Some more off the wall but still plausible ones could be Platinum or Indies Zero both have worked pretty closely with Nintendo for around a decade at this point. I could see Mercury Steam happen if Metroid becomes a big tier franchise and the need for consist Metroid games is now a thing. Off the wall pick would be Wayforward feel like they would be a good pick for Wario Land Shante feels like a Nintendo like series also and as a developer theyโ€™re capable of wearing many hats. I donโ€™t see Nintendo buying Gamefreak. The only way I see them buying Gamefreak is if Gamefreak strikes lighting twice and makes another mega franchise without Nintendo and that starts taking major resources from Pokรฉmon. Nintendo is also not buying any publishers

Buying companies that have a large capital, and huge IPs should have you fired, from a cannon, into the Sun.

I could see Mercury Steam happen if Metroid becomes a big tier franchise and the need for consist Metroid games is now a thing.
The founders sold 40% of their capital a few years ago to THQ Nordic. This probably includes a priority option if they want to sell the rest. So I think Mercry Steam is too late for Nintendo.

But as they did with Flaghship alumni for Zelda or Hudson alumni for Mario Party, if 2D Metroid really becomes something more important for them over the long term, Nintendo can always recruit people who work on it, for example by creating a new dedicated European subsidiary.

I'd vote for Namco because of the Souls games. I think it absolutely sucks that the Swicth only got one of them.

But I'd prefer if we could get them without Nintendo having to purchase Namco, to be honest, because corporate consolidation sucks.

Story-time with merp

So I voted "Nintendo shouldn't buy any" and expected it to be the loser in this race.

It was thus that I was pleasantly surprised to see this:

image.png

A happy ending to merp's current misadventure in Famiboards...

...or so I thought too until the realization dawned on me that more people didn't vote for "Nintendo shouldn't buy any" and instead voted for all the other options, which of course included companies that Nintendo should supposedly buy. Combined, of course, this would mean that more people are by default against the last option.

Fami

Explain yourselves.

I know my response is super late. But if Embracer Group is still looking to sell some assets off. Maybe Nintendo could buy some companies from them? Traiser Studios (The Guys behind the first two Little Nightmares games) did develop The Stretchers which Nintendo did publish on the eshop.

Realistically Nintendo doesn't need to buy anyone.

But I'd love to see them purchase Falcom just because I always worry about them going bankrupt one day.

Realistically Nintendo doesn't need to buy anyone.

But I'd love to see them purchase Falcom just because I always worry about them going bankrupt one day.
I think I saw a Post on Restera that stated Nippon Ichi Software was in financial trouble again. But idk if their games fit the Nintendo Mold.

Somehow... the acquisitions thread has returned. Anyway, what did I say last time?
Monolith Soft was adopted 16 years ago, why we still treating them like they aren't a real part of the fami? ๐Ÿ˜ญ

As for the question at hand, if Furukawa sent me an email saying that he has been overtaken by an otherworldly urge to acquire studios, Level 5 would be a good choice. I already spent years thinking Professor Layton was a Nintendo series, so might as well make that official, right? And I don't trust Level 5 to have their shit together when it comes to worldwide publishing and distribution yet. As for a left field pick, maybe Eidos-Montrรฉal? Embracer Group is collapsing like a house of cards, and Nintendo doesn't really have anything that hits the same notes as Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, or Thief under its belt. Plus, it gives Next Level Games a Canadian sibling.
Yeah, I still stand by this if we're skipping over the "eternal roommates" partner studios like HAL and IntSys.

At this point, I think the only acquisitions I'd want are studios where I'm afraid a company like Microsoft or Sony will instead acquire them and make all their games exclusive. I want Sega, Square-Enix, and basically every studio in that poll to continue releasing games on Nintendo platforms. As long as that happens, I don't really want Nintendo to acquire them unless the company is asking for it.

Otherwise, I suppose I'd be happy for acquisitions that happen to save a struggling studio and keep the team together. For example, I wish AlphaDream and Skip had been saved and Nintendo had these studios continuing to release RPGs and quirky games for them.

Back
Top Bottom