• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

NSO What’s your hope for the next NSO system .

Steve

Bob-omb
Pronouns
he/him
Like we have NES, SNES, N64, gameboy advance.

Like if Nintendo were to announce GameCube and DS. (Most likely announce Ds in holiday)

Which games would you like to see it launch with.

GameCube
  • Mario sunshine
  • Smash melee
  • Luigi mansion
  • Pikmin 1
  • Windwaker
  • Mario kart double dash
Ds
  • Mario and Luigi bowser inside story
  • Kirby mouse squad
  • Mario 64 ds
  • Mario kart Ds
  • New super Mario
  • Nintendogs
  • Metroid tech demo
Like it would be cool to have 16 player double dash online, because the only way was with a Lan party.

And I wouldn’t be surprised if NERD are thinking of ways to implement touch screen for example the phantom hour glass.

Gamecube isnt happening, so Im hoping for Turbo Grafx and Master System to be next on the list.

Ideally Id also love Saturn if M2 could make it work.

I just want to have more third party games in general. I don’t think there’s any chance Capcom will even consider re-releasing Final Fight 3 outside of a Nintendo BC service.

The DS Metroid demo is a good pick. It really is worth preserving independently from Prime Hunters.

Personally, I would love it if we saw lightgun game re-releases on NSO using the gyro for pointer controls. The Wii has a few of them and they’re all great. Even Link’s Crossbow Training is great fun. Sin and Punishment, Ghost Squad and Gunblade NY+LA Machineguns are games I would play to death on my Switch.

I want Wii.
Too many great games on that system trapped under the smear of 480p resolution.
Imagine excite truck/bots in hd….go ahead..imagine it!

I want Wii.
Too many great games on that system trapped under the smear of 480p resolution.
Imagine excite truck/bots in hd….go ahead..imagine it!
I would genuinely take the original 480p resolution. I just want to play them on a modern and more convenient system!

I don't know about a hypothetical GC lineup. It's in a weird spot where a lot of major first party games have either been remastered or are one of the few entries trapped as an HD version on Wii U.

DS would be neat. I'd even like a Tate mode for some of those. Out of the gate I could see some early years stuff:

Metroid Prime Hunters
Nintendogs
Brain Age
Advance Wars Dual Strike
Wario Ware Touched
Yoshi Touch and Go
Mario 64
Mario & Luigi Partners in Time
Kirby's Canvas Curse

GameCube and Wii should be reserved for HD remasters imo. That's what they've been doing with them so far, so it would be odd to have a service with the few remaining games, but not in HD.

The obvious next step is then the Nintendo DS imo. As far as a launch lineup, my picks would be:

• New Super Mario Bros.
  • Animal Crossing: Wild World
  • Nintendogs
  • Mario Kart DS
  • Kirby: Canvas Curse
  • The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

My hope is for Game & Watch or Virtual Boy

I know both are extremely unlikely for various reasons (like Game & Watch stuff would need to be remade, not emulated I think, and Virtual Boy was a colossal failure that didn't even launch in Europe) but I would genuinely like to see their libraries be added and become more accessible.

I remember the Smash Bros Brawl chronicle having Nintendo libraries listed like: Game & Watch, NES, Game Boy, SNES, Virtual Boy, N64, GBA, GameCube, DS, Wii so it's a little minor annoyance to me that we don't have access to Game & Watch and Virtual Boy NSO so I can set out a Switch folder like that

TG-16 and Master System I still expect to arrive at some point. Would love to get Virtual Boy as well.

Everything else I think requires some hardware reworking or additional internal storage to make sense.

I think something like Wonderswan or Saturn or Dreamcast could be fun, consoles whose libraries haven't really seen that many rereleases over the years

I kinda don't see Gamecube happening anytime soon given how much of that library has already been ported/remade/remastered for Switch; similarly, Wii and 3DS are definitely still in that "they can charge full price for remasters of those games" zone, but DS could maybe happen if they can figure out a half-elegantly way to handle touch controls

Also it's not technically a different console, but it'd be great if they did something with the Satellaview games

File sizes make the NSO format prohibitive for anything post N64.

DS is a maybe but Nintendo has shown to be reticent to include the touch control functionality of the Switch in the majority of the first party games, so I doubt it.

Game & Watch Gallery but it's an NSO app that gets regular updates with new games in both new and classic styles and a fun cast of Nintendo characters introducing them.

Sega saturn!

I would be fine if we never got another handheld NSO. Game Boy and Game Boy Advance don't look great on the big screen with the available filters. DS with the dual screens would look even worse. I'm of the opinion that DS games can't be enjoyed and experienced properly unless played on actual hardware.

FM Towns Marty!

Seriously though, TG16/PCE would be pretty easy to do. M2 already has worked with the service, Konami seems willing online out properties and doesn’t really care about any of these licenses beyond Bomberman (so make what they can), and the sizes are super small.

I would say GameGear but with Sonic collection getting like half of the games as DLC, unlikely. WonderSwan above was the next best suggestion.

I too would like DS, but it wouldn’t work as well in docked mode as Nintendo would want. It’s not like Mega Mam Zero/ZX collection where most of the touch screen stuff can be relegated to that smaller screen you can bring up to interact with but most stuff controls with buttons. Nintendo was HEAVY into bottom screen use and would relegate the service to handheld only play in actuality. But I have a list of games (most of the third party ones will be re released in collections so that blunts the service library significantly).

My hope is to get gamecube but I believe that will happen on Switch 2 and not the current switch.

Kirby Air Ride, Wario World, Mario Kart Double Dash, Viewtiful Joe, Pacman World 2, Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, Pikmin 1 and 2, Animal Crossing, Billy hatcher and the giant egg, F-zero GX, Metroid Prime 1 and 2, Paper Mario ttyd, Super Monkey ball 1 and 2, Zelda windwaker and twilight Princess, Kuru Kuru Kurrin, Cubivore, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, Geist, Time Splitters, Eternal Darkness, Starfox adventures and Starfox Assault, Super Smash Bros Melee,

Good god the gamecube is still the best system ever made.

PC-ENGINE/TURBOGRAFX-16
AND I’M NOT KIDDING

GameCube probably won’t happen; they seem pretty content to sell those games piecemeal on the eShop and frankly I think I prefer that. DS could technically happen, but getting screen layouts and touch/microphone inputs squared away would probably be a pretty big design hurdle to overcome.

I’d like to say Master System/Game Gear but Genesis hasn’t been updated in months and months so I wonder if Sega no longer cares to think about NSO.

I expect Game Gear to come next. Then TurboGrafx. Master System or MSX after that.

As much as I love DS, unless the Switch 2 has a good way to emulate the two screens in a way that's actually playable I wouldn't want them to add it.

The dream would be everything! Saturn, Dreamcast, SMS, Game Gear, Turbo-Grafx 16, PC-Engine, CDI, DS, Wii, NGC, Virtual Boy. I want it all!

Realistically, I think that we will get the DS at some point. After that, it becomes a big mystery. I'm not expecting anything new before 2025 though.

I'd love to have Gamecube, but I don't think Nintendo is gonna do a console where updates could be anywhere from 0.5 gb to 1.5 gb. That'd probably just take up so much space after a couple of updates.

DS is the next obvious one, but something really out there that I'd love is Sega Arcade games. Despite being vastly different hardware wise, Sega did make that Astro City Mini with a bunch of arcade stuff from everything from Altered Beast to Virtua Fighter 1. I'd like them to go a bit further year wise though, having stuff like Daytona USA would be incredible. Maybe even rerelease the original arcade Monkey Ball.

It would also be nice if they just took a second shot at N64 though, the gap in emulation quality from that and everything else is just sad.

I expect Game Gear to come next. Then TurboGrafx. Master System or MSX after that.

As much as I love DS, unless the Switch 2 has a good way to emulate the two screens in a way that's actually playable I wouldn't want them to add it.
Basically just a solution for tabletop mode, but TATE mode works pretty great for emulating vertical dual screen games, and it'd be more usable than the WiiU's version of this where you still had to use the gamepad to play with a rotated screen like this, that was basically just made for Brain Age.
w3asswjkopwefrjv49jb-scaled.jpg

DS and PC Engine stand out as the most obvious next steps to me. Maybe Game Gear.

My hope is for Game & Watch or Virtual Boy

I know both are extremely unlikely for various reasons (like Game & Watch stuff would need to be remade, not emulated I think, and Virtual Boy was a colossal failure that didn't even launch in Europe) but I would genuinely like to see their libraries be added and become more accessible.

I remember the Smash Bros Brawl chronicle having Nintendo libraries listed like: Game & Watch, NES, Game Boy, SNES, Virtual Boy, N64, GBA, GameCube, DS, Wii so it's a little minor annoyance to me that we don't have access to Game & Watch and Virtual Boy NSO so I can set out a Switch folder like that
This. Though I’d forgive the lack of Game & Watch due to the inability to emulate them, and we already have remakes of many of them in the form of Game & Watch Gallery and the Game & Watch DSiWare releases (which I would hope get rereleased whenever we get Nintendo DS NSO), but the lack of Virtual Boy hurts. I still can’t believe Nintendo never released Virtual Boy games via Virtual Console on Nintendo 3DS…it was too perfect, why didn’t it happen?! Putting them on Switch with Labo VR support is the next best thing…

I’d also really like to see Pokémon mini, as unlikely as that may be. It’s a Nintendo system too, after all! There’s absolutely nothing holding back Virtual Boy or Pokémon mini games from being emulated on Switch, unlike other platforms like Game & Watch, Nintendo GameCube, Nintendo DS, Wii, Nintendo 3DS, and Wii U, so it sucks that we can’t just get those two systems on NSO in the meantime before other systems may become possible to properly emulate on future hardware.

Ideally, I'd like to see some more unusual picks. Put out the entire released and unreleased Virtual Boy library as an NSO app, and add feasible Satellaview and N64 DD games to their respective existing apps; hell, add Mega CD games if that's an option, too. And...
Game & Watch Gallery but it's an NSO app that gets regular updates with new games in both new and classic styles and a fun cast of Nintendo characters introducing them.
Yes, this! Please.

Realistically, I'd welcome DS as an NSO app and I feel that's the likeliest next system to join.

Given the hardware similarities I would expect Master System and Game Gear to arrive at the same time. Maybe with SG-1000 in tow for JP.

MSX is already getting covered by another company via eShop releases I think.

This. Though I’d forgive the lack of Game & Watch due to the inability to emulate them, and we already have remakes of many of them in the form of Game & Watch Gallery and the Game & Watch DSiWare releases (which I would hope get rereleased whenever we get Nintendo DS NSO), but the lack of Virtual Boy hurts. I still can’t believe Nintendo never released Virtual Boy games via Virtual Console on Nintendo 3DS…it was too perfect, why didn’t it happen?! Putting them on Switch with Labo VR support is the next best thing…

I’d also really like to see Pokémon mini, as unlikely as that may be. It’s a Nintendo system too, after all! There’s absolutely nothing holding back Virtual Boy or Pokémon mini games from being emulated on Switch, unlike other platforms like Game & Watch, Nintendo GameCube, Nintendo DS, Wii, Nintendo 3DS, and Wii U, so it sucks that we can’t just get those two systems on NSO in the meantime before other systems may become possible to properly emulate on future hardware.
Pokémon Mini would be great to see too!
Pokémon Channel had a few of those games in it so that one has at least had work done in the past

Quoted by: Tye
GameCube and Wii should be reserved for HD remasters imo. That's what they've been doing with them so far, so it would be odd to have a service with the few remaining games, but not in HD.
N64 games are (unfortunately) being rendered in HD, so I don’t think they would render Gamecube and Wii titles in their original resolution.

Gamecube isnt happening

While there are some GCN/Wii games that have now come out on Switch, those are mainly titles that are either niche and now get another chance to find a new audience on Switch with a very high install base, or those that have not yet exhausted their potential (LM2HD). All of their "silverware" like MK Wii, MKDD, SSBM, SSBB is completely unused, Sunshine and Galaxy were only available for a short time, Galaxy 2 never existed, Zelda was never ported from Wii U to Switch. Of course, HD versions of these games would also sell great, and maybe they are more likely to come or they keep them for bad times or a cross-gen period, but I would not rule out that they come to NSO.
I think there is a possibility that Nintendo doesn’t want to create confusion for their customers and therefore would not put them alongside their current titles on store shelves / eshop.
However as part of NSO with a decent price increase, it would make sense imo.
Currently on Switch a single membership with Expansion Pass costs 3.33€ per month, which is well below the usual 8-15€ that most subscription services have established. I'd be surprised if Nintendo didn't also want to have a bigger piece of that subscription money, where they get like 10€ per month. Mario Kart, Smash, 3D Mario, Zelda, Mario Party are imo the titles that ensure that people stay long term subscribers.

Personally, I‘d love to see Gamecube coming to NSO mainly I want them to release wireless GCN controllers with rumble just like they did with N64.

Pokémon Mini would be great to see too!
Pokémon Channel had a few of those games in it so that one has at least had work done in the past
I’d honestly be mostly satisfied with Pokémon mini if they released Pokémon Channel on a Nintendo GameCube NSO in the future, but I worry about even that game’s chances. I’m still bothered by the fact that Hey You, Pikachu! will likely never be officially rereleased, after all…

DS is the only essential one left for me, and I picture it as a Switch 2 release. GameCube and Wii are fine continuing to get stand-alone paid rereleases and remasters at this point. Another Sega system or two would be good, though I don’t have any personal attachments on that front,

File sizes make the NSO format prohibitive for anything post N64.

DS is a maybe but Nintendo has shown to be reticent to include the touch control functionality of the Switch in the majority of the first party games, so I doubt it.
I don't agree with that. New consoles should have more storage - and even if they don't, there's nothing that says that every single game has to be downloaded. Nintendo could very easily have it work in a way where you just download the games that you want to play like you would on Gamepass or whatever. There's no real reason that every single game has to be downloaded onto the console.

I don't agree with that. New consoles should have more storage - and even if they don't, there's nothing that says that every single game has to be downloaded. Nintendo could very easily have it work in a way where you just download the games that you want to play like you would on Gamepass or whatever. There's no real reason that every single game has to be downloaded onto the console.
I think a huge portion of the appeal, from Nintendo’s perspective, is that you can just pick a game from the catalogue and instantly run it, without having to wait for a download to finish. It encourages people to try stuff out on a whim, at least in theory.

Regardless of the storage limitations, their foray into GameCube remasters tells me they think they’re likelier to profit from resaling GCN titles that from giving them as part of the service. GCN games can easily pass for current releases, unlike N64 and prior which require a more thorough revamp.

DS is the main one I'm expecting. Past that, there are some big open questions about how Nintendo will handle things.

Saturn and or Dreamcast. Are rarely rereleased unlike every other console currently on NSO, aren’t really available through pirating either (and no I’m not endorsing piracy, so please don’t kill me mods), and have great libraries that could add some great value. This goes especially for Dreamcast, I mean Adventure 1 and 2 alone would be massive. Plus we’ve been even seeing tons of Dreamcast era series get revivals, so you could have some great market synergy right there

For Nintendo, probably DS. I don't think Gamecube is off the table entirely, but the amount of remasters/remakes recently is enough to make me think they'd hold off on it for a good long while. There are plenty of games that probably wouldn't get the remake treatment but would still be worth rereleasing in some form that NSO is perfect for, just maybe not as soon as "the next one." Games like Cubivore and Chibi Robo feel like they may need an NSO service to get their next chance, while other, more iterative games like Mario Kart or Animal Crossing would benefit by those games simply not being interesting to rerelease on their own compared to a new title due to the cost and effort involved.

For non-Nintendo, TG16 and SEGA's remaining console library feel like they're all vying for being the next in line. TG16 lacks some global appeal, but that doesn't make it bad, and younger folks (who are very much into classic gaming) wouldn't know (or care about) the difference anyway. It'd just be more classic games to them. Saturn and Dreamcast are both considered priority projects by SEGA themselves, with M2 and Okunari openly stating they were of interest for another Mini or related revival project, which NSO neatly fits into. If more hardware power is needed to make them work, and wild conspiracy theories of a planned March reveal for the Switch 2 were actually true, we may have even already been planned to see those announced if one of them's in the works at all.

Mostly interested in the possibility for non-Nintendo systems, myself. Which basically translates into TG16 and additional Sega consoles.

My hope? Well I want Satellaview and 64DD to come up and then Virtual Boy, PC Engine, GameCube, Nintendo DS + DSiWare stuff.
And also solve the legal issues plaguing Yoshi's Cookie.

Realistically though? Probably just PC Engine. With some luck Bomberman will finally show up with 4/5 player support?
I don't rule out GameCube entirely though because honestly, I don't think Nintendo see games like Doshin The Giant and Chibi-Robo to be that worth it to just pull out like a Pikmin 1+2 or Super Mario 3D All-Stars.
Also Japan still has Dr. Mario 64 and Panel de Pon 64 missing and those are on GameCube and I still think it's very unfair how Japan doesn't even have access to them officially speaking.

Reserving GameCube for remasters doesn't work because there are games they'll never remaster or rerelease. I want to play FSA on Switch or the OG Animal Crossing or so on and so on. Thus ideally it would be GameCube, but realistically they'd rather try to make DS work.

Instead of wanting more systems added how about Nintendo start releasing games regularly for the systems already included? Hard to get excited when it is once randomly "here are some games now we wont say when the next releases will arrive or on which app ;)))"

I expect GCN and Wii to arrive as individual software titles for each game, like remakes and remasters slinking onto NSO EP eventually.

The next and final first party app is probably DS. I'm not worried about the input situation.

Gamecube isnt happening, so Im hoping for Turbo Grafx and Master System to be next on the list.

Ideally Id also love Saturn if M2 could make it work.
I'd love these
Dreamcast.
This too!!

DS would be nice too I think.

EDIT: I can't quote one of the posts for some reason due to a bug, but yes. The dripfeed is so bad, I really want them to stop being so slow.

PC-ENGINE/TURBOGRAFX-16
AND I’M NOT KIDDING

GameCube probably won’t happen; they seem pretty content to sell those games piecemeal on the eShop and frankly I think I prefer that. DS could technically happen, but getting screen layouts and touch/microphone inputs squared away would probably be a pretty big design hurdle to overcome.

I’d like to say Master System/Game Gear but Genesis hasn’t been updated in months and months so I wonder if Sega no longer cares to think about NSO.

That would be a great opportunity for me to know this apparently beloved console in Japan, as I never dared to buy its games virtually before

PC-ENGINE/TURBOGRAFX-16
AND I’M NOT KIDDING

👆
This

Of course i'd love a DS emulator, but we need more third party systems, it was part of the attractive of the old Virtual Console

Bring on the Master System, PC-Engine, MSX, Lynx, the fucking Jag

You want to honor the history of videogames? Cool, LET'S DO IT

Back
Top Bottom