• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News the forgotten multiplayer game “Hellgate: London” is getting a successor called Hellgate: Redemption

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They
hellgate-redemption-logo-w-back.png

“I’ve dreamed of returning to the franchise we created back in 2007 for many, many years,” said Bill Roper, CEO and co-founder of Lunacy Games. “I’ve always felt I had unfinished business with the Hellgate IP, which is why our codename for the project is Hellgate: Redemption.”
“By using Unreal Engine 5, cloud-based game servers, as many off-the-shelf solutions as possible, and great co-development partnerships, we’re putting every development dollar toward gameplay and innovation,” explains Roper. “We’re keeping core gameplay and lore elements of Hellgate: London in our current design, but our intent is to build an exciting new experience that takes advantage of the numerous advances the industry has seen over the past 17 years since the original game launched.”
notably the IP has had a bit of a history, the original version only lasted a year before the developer shut down. leading to the IP getting picked up by a South Korean company known as Hanbitsoft, who eventually revived it. it even got added to Steam in 2018.

Lunacy Games basically got a licensing deal from Hanbit to make a new game.

Oh that's kinda interesting. I see a lot of people saying the devs lied a ton about what the game would be pre-release. Same happened with Fable and it's my fav western-developed RPG. Is the old one worth a gander?

Oh that's kinda interesting. I see a lot of people saying the devs lied a ton about what the game would be pre-release. Same happened with Fable and it's my fav western-developed RPG. Is the old one worth a gander?
I remember seeing reviews from back in the day say it was fine? I think it was just basically Diablo MMO, rather than like a Fable style WRPG

I remember seeing reviews from back in the day say it was fine? I think it was just basically Diablo MMO, rather than like a Fable style WRPG
Yeah I remember the old hype train for it in the magazines. FPS + Diablo II was the actual selling point, and iirc ex-Blizzard people worked on it. Rather than being bad it ended up just being extremely mediocre. Couldn't point to anything it did wrong, but I don't remember anyone talking about it after it came out, so.

Isee a lot of people saying the devs lied a ton about what the game would be pre-release. Same happened with Fable and it's my fav western-developed RPG. Is the old one worth a gander?
Classic case of overpromising and underdelivering. It's basically Diablo as an FPS, but the loot system sucks.

Hellgate London holds a special place in my heart as the first game where I really bought into the hype and got burned. A good lesson at least.

Surprised Roper is still around. Good luck to him I guess but I'm not expecting much.

I’ll be keeping my expectations low, but I do love Hell, so I can’t help but be a little excited

forgotten by who?
surely not by me: I worked back in 2007 on its (local) online marketing campaign haha
we eve created a flash mini-game as splash page for dedicated videogame sites

(yes, online adv was terrible back in the days haha!)

I remember seeing my friend play it way back when, but I do recall the hype, along with the phrase "Blizzes don't miss" in russian circles. How the times change.

Back
Top Bottom