• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour "Nintendo World Championships: NES Edition" for Nintendo Switch rated by ESRB

Joe

🦇
Pronouns
He/Him

Rating Summary
This is a collection of 2D challenges and platformer games in which players traverse through various modes (e.g., speedrun, survival). Several challenges involve reaching specific points, while others prompt players to defeat small enemies or survive brief battles. Some games depict pixelated characters using small swords or arrows to strike at enemies; enemies typically get stunned or disappear in a flash.

Sounds like a revamped new remix. Which is cool.
I wonder if it will have some licensed third party games in it to properly be in the spirit? Nintendo definitely has the groundwork this Gen and the sort of stuff you’d want for this shouldn’t be too hard to license(and easier for a retail release over a floating service like NSO)

Also sounds like GB, SNES, and N64 versions could be down the road

I am kinda interested in this, though how do we know this is a boxed game and not just some NSO release ala F-Zero 99? I've been seeing that release thrown around and such.

The "NES Edition" in the title sounds intriguing. Maybe there will be an SNES Edition and possibly other platforms in the future?

I am kinda interested in this, though how do we know this is a boxed game and not just some NSO release ala F-Zero 99? I've been seeing that release thrown around and such.
Pyoro has said on Twitter that it's not a free game, and indicated it'll be $30

So that would seem to rule out an NSO exclusive, and $30 games like Everyody 1-2 Switch have gotten boxed releases before

The "NES Edition" in the title sounds intriguing. Maybe there will be an SNES Edition and possibly other platforms in the future?
That's probably the goal. But this is one of those things whose reception and sales will dictate that future which makes me doubt. $30 for a collection of NES challenges doesn't scream mainstream appeal to me especially on a system going out to pasture.

Dunno if boxed / phyiscal or just digital, but going by Pyoro it's a priced game for 30$.
Gotcha.

Also worth noting: the ESRB listing says "In-Game Purchases" which is a little concerning. What do you think that could mean?
Probably just that there's online play and something in-game that directs you towards subscribing to NSO if you don't already pay for it

IIRC people got worried about other games (Animal Crossing in particular stands out) having micro transactions because of that same disclaimer, but it always turns out to be "this game acknowledges the existence of NSO"

I'm honestly really interested in this release, especially for $30. I hope it's similar to the NES Remix.

They need to include some third party stuff, such as Castlevania, Megaman or Contra. Some of the Nintendo's own stuff are not exciting at all to do challenges, NES remix had some super dated stuff like Urban Champion, Baseball or Golf.

I thought this meant that Nintendo were finally going to capitalize on nostalgia for The Wizard, but apparently the Nintendo World Championships wasn't in that movie.

I wonder if this is a Tetris 99 situation. Full standalone game plus NSO online engagement chunk and the physical is for the standalone part plus a NSO membership

Since it sounds so much like NES Remix... did they just decide "System Name + Remix" was too generic sounding and go with something more historically Nintendo before the previous name got too cemented in?

Since it sounds so much like NES Remix... did they just decide "System Name + Remix" was too generic sounding and go with something more historically Nintendo before the previous name got too cemented in?
Could be a bit of both. This will likely have just straight up challenges too, and even leaderboards and NSO challenges

This is a classic end of the life cycle Nintendo game. I think I said earlier in the year I expected an NES remix whether it be a new one or a port of the previous ones. It's garnered my interest.

All 3 NES Remix games are a decade+ old at this point. Having a clean break with the naming makes sense.

You don’t alienate new people by making them feel like they need to seek out games for dead hardware. And they have more freedom with what they can do with the design and branding.

Kit from the Kit & Krysta podcast (former Nintendo marketing employees) think it's really weird and uncharacteristic of Nintendo to allow an ESRB rating for one of their first party games before the game is ever even announced officially:

Does make me wonder what is going on over at Nintendo. No General Direct, No Switch 2 news and now their games are getting announced via ESRB pages? Did Nintendo fire their entire marketing team? LOL.

Kit from the Kit & Krysta podcast (former Nintendo marketing employees) think it's really weird and uncharacteristic of Nintendo to allow an ESRB rating for one of their first party games before the game is ever even announced officially:

Does make me wonder what is going on over at Nintendo. No General Direct, No Switch 2 news and now their games are getting announced via ESRB pages? Did Nintendo fire their entire marketing team? LOL.

I assume it’ll get announced within the next. A couple events got messed up this year so who knows.

I assume it’ll get announced within the next. A couple events got messed up this year so who knows.

Could be announced later tonight via Twitter or something. I remember when Everybody's 1-2 Switch was basically a Twitter post or something along those lines. Just weird. Nintendo has so much money and their marketing is nearly completely deleted these days outside of a few ads for like Paper Mario.

Is it possible that this was done on purpose to fish out Pyoro and crack down on his leaking? A first-party game getting leaked through ESRB is unprecedented.

Could be announced later tonight via Twitter or something. I remember when Everybody's 1-2 Switch was basically a Twitter post or something along those lines. Just weird. Nintendo has so much money and their marketing is nearly completely deleted these days outside of a few ads for like Paper Mario.
Hey that’s within the next week XD

Is it possible that this was done on purpose to fish out Pyoro and crack down on his leaking? A first-party game getting leaked through ESRB is unprecedented.

I saw someone mention that in the comments section of that video and it definitely got me thinking about the possibility. I noticed that it "seems like" Nintendo is making moves in preparation of the Switch 2 era such as going all in on attacks against anyone they see as misusing their brand such as emulation and fan projects and now potentially trying to catch some leakers and shut them down. Maybe in preparation of the Switch 2 about to go into mass production or something.

All of this is really dumb speculation on my part. Just stray thoughts.

Honestly, given the nature of Pyoro's teases and what they turned out to be (Dolphin's = Endless Ocean and != Gamecube NSO, NWC on NES and != the DIP Switches on the cartridge), anyone expecting Switch 2 news (and to a degree, that does include myself) only have themselves to blame. We really did miss the forest for the trees

Oh dang, if that's how they fish him out I'd be impressed at Nintendo's ingenuity for an intentional ESRB rating, but fuck that blows if that's the end of his leaks

The tweets work.
Why spend money if you don’t need to?

"Whyyy doesn't this company spend more money on marketing?!"

looks at rapidly accumulating pile of wealth as Switch and its software continues to break records

Honestly, given the nature of Pyoro's teases and what they turned out to be (Dolphin's = Endless Ocean and != Gamecube NSO, NWC on NES and != the DIP Switches on the cartridge), anyone expecting Switch 2 news (and to a degree, that does include myself) only have themselves to blame. We really did miss the forest for the trees

how in the world did any one take a picture of an NES cartridge as a hint toward switch 2 in the first place lol

The tweets work.
Why spend money if you don’t need to?
"Whyyy doesn't this company spend more money on marketing?!"

looks at rapidly accumulating pile of wealth as Switch and its software continues to break records

I mean games leaking via ESRB isn't really a good move in my opinion but hey free marketing I guess. Nobody is asking for massive marketing campaigns here lol. I just personally think Nintendo is way to silent in general (even when they have content) but hey that's just my opinion). I'm well aware of the success Nintendo has had this generation. Just think this year is off to a weird start.

Should have known, Pyoro's teases are pretty blatant.

I don't know why people read more into that to try to manifest the Switch 2.

Idk about all that.

Pyoro has had a ton of cryptic posts as well as some more obvious ones. A mixture.

Not our fault there was a weird coincidence where a bunch of switches were plastered all over the actual announcement clue. What are the chances?

I mean games leaking via ESRB isn't really a good move in my opinion but hey free marketing I guess. Nobody is asking for massive marketing campaigns here lol. I just personally think Nintendo is way to silent in general (even when they have content) but hey that's just my opinion). I'm well aware of the success Nintendo has had this generation. Just think this year is off to a weird start.
This year is definitely interesting, but it isn't unprecedented. It's a lot like 2020, where Nintendo just seems to content to rest on their laurels until they actually need to get up and do something.

I'm fine with the approach because I'm tired of things being talked about way too early and completely vanishing afterwards. And it isn't hurting them financially, so more power to them (in my opinion, of course).

I’m thinking it’s an NSO release, I would be happy to be wrong though.

Did the 3DS version of NES remix have the same games as the Wii U version or were there version exclusives?

Did the 3DS version of NES remix have the same games as the Wii U version or were there version exclusives?
Despite being called "Ultimate", it has a werid mix of titles from both Wii U entries (plus a few unique modes), rather than be a true compilation.

We’ve seen hybrid stuff before in tetris 99. Could be a standalone main game with an online rotating challenge sampler tied to NSO
Oh yeah maybe something in the vein of super Mario 35 as well

Back
Top Bottom