• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Nintendo Switch Online - SNES April 2024 Update (SUPER R-TYPE, Wrecking Crew ’98, Amazing Hebereke; Marvelous: Another Treasure Island in Japan)

MondoMega

Puffball Enthusiast
Pronouns
She/They
Amazing Hebereke was already on the Japanese app previously; while Japan recieves Battletoads in Battlemaniacs which released on the international app in February.

Another game with its first proper Western release (Wrecking Crew '98), you love to see it.

Usually these show up wednesday or Monday evenings, so I was expecting a N64 or GBA game, not SNES games. And what great releases too. Having R-Type and Wrecking crew is great, meanwhile Japan gets another Treasure Island.

Also, I like how we went from like barely any SNES updates last year, to having 5 new SNES games within the first 4 months on 2024. I just find that hilarious.

Wrecking Crew 98 is a nice miniton for me.

Can't believe it took so long to get localized, but better late than never!

Heck yeah, Wrecking Crew '98 finally made it to western territories officially!

I'm telling you guys, it's Foreman Spike's big comeback! Next he'll be playable in Mario Kart 10!

Let me get this straight. We have to buy Ufouria NES from eShop separately but Sugoi Hebereke is on NSO? Come on Sunsoft, put em all on NSO.

man people just reflexively downvote any nso vid that doesn't have a "big" game huh?
Yea it feels like that sometimes. Like I get I want a little more consistent release of games, but it feels like some people don't give some updates a chance. I still remember when Pan de pan and Wild guns was release, and several people including some content creators, called it a bad update/scratching the bottom of the barrel. Like those are two very good games.

Four genuinely great games! Sad Marvelous isn’t out in English but IIRC it’s kinda text heavy. Maybe they could do the work to localize it, it’d be what Aonuma would want!!

Wrecking Crew 98! That game rules! Gotta play that once I get home today.

Hot damn, wasn’t expecting Wrecking Crew ‘98 or another Ufouria game to break out of JP.

Marvelous is a nice get for JP, it’s fairly text heavy so I get why we’re not seeing it.

Crazy to think how long Nintendo supported the snes in Japan.

Also crew 98 looks pretty hype, since it’s never released in west, from what I’ve gathered.

Hopefully we’ll see more obscure Japanese Nintendo exclusives get released more.

Yea it feels like that sometimes. Like I get I want a little more consistent release of games, but it feels like some people don't give some updates a chance. I still remember when Pan de pan and Wild guns was release, and several people including some content creators, called it a bad update/scratching the bottom of the barrel. Like those are two very good games.
"Any update without [game from my childhood] is a bad update."

When’s M.U.S.C.L.E.? Or pinball battle?

At least with the former, it'd require multiple agreements due to it being Kinnikuman licensed game, and even though the name was changed (which was the intended localized name), they kept the Kinnikuman IP (plus, this was released when they were going to try and localize the anime at the time, but plans had fallen through).

At least with the former, it'd require multiple agreements due to it being Kinnikuman licensed game, and even though the name was changed (which was the intended localized name), they kept the Kinnikuman IP (plus, this was released when they were going to try and localize the anime at the time, but plans had fallen through).
Oh I was joking, as Battle pinball is even more of a rights nightmare than muscle. It’s a compati heroes spinoff with Kamen Rider, Ultraman and Gundam included!

Looks like we’ve received a drop about every 2-3 weeks since the MAR10 games:

N64: 12/7/23
GBA (Golden Sun): 1/16
SNES/NES/N64 (Rare Dump Day): 2/21
GB/GBC (Mario Day): 3/11
GBA (F-Zero MV): 3/28
SNES: 4/10

(Dates based on the News items in the system menu)

If anything they seem to be coming more regularly again which has me wondering if NERD has been busy with porting the emulators to the new hardware. Because we were definitely in a bit of a drought last year when we’d only get one, maybe two system updates in a month. If that.

Wrecking Crew 98 is a huge get and the people downvoting it are fake Nintendo fans
Oh look another mascot match-3 puzzler. Joy. /s

Realistically, the only SNES games with mainstream appeal that are not already on NSO are the big Capcom or Squaresoft titles, which I seriously doubt will ever come. Nintendo has already tapped that well out.
I could see Capcom maybe dropping the SNES Final Fight sequels but that would largely require the Japanese HQ acknowledging those games’ existence. Maybe the remaining Mega Man oddballs although I think they’ll just bundle those up into another multiplatform Anniversary collection and call it a day.

Square should put FF Mystic Quest on the service because I doubt anyone would pay them for it (and they sorta lost a good opportunity to include in the SaGa game boy collection since it’s an honorary member by way of a shared dev team with SaGa III). Ditto for Evermore (which should’ve been included with Collection of Mana). There’s no justice in the world I tell ya.

Super R Type is interesting because it makes R Type 3(rd Lightning) possible. I was previously worried that game had no chance coming NSO due to IREM having delisted their games from Wii Virtual Console long before the store closed down.

WRECKING CREW 98?!?!
That's an awesome add for the West
Shame it sounds like it's another Japanese game that Nintendo have done zero translation work to but still cool to have easy access to it

Crazy to think how long Nintendo supported the snes in Japan.

Also crew 98 looks pretty hype, since it’s never released in west, from what I’ve gathered. As

Hopefully we’ll see more obscure Japanese Nintendo exclusives get released more.
Yeah. When the N64 flopped as hard as it did in Japan, it was pragmatic to support the quicker to develop for, and more popular system.

Last edited:
Wrecking Crew 98 was a game I was absolutely not expecting at all on western NSO.

What's the deal with Wrecking Crew 98? Did it actually come out in 1998? That seems late for a Super Nintendo game.
Rockman & Forte was 1999 or 2000 IIRC, and I think Kirby’s Dream Land 3 was like 1997 or 1998 too. Back then, there was a much more gradual transition period and developers also acknowledged that older systems were usually handed down to younger siblings so there was still a market for games on the platforms.

We saw the same things with the NES and late releases like Kirby’s Adventure and Wario’s Woods arriving deep into the SNES era.

WRECKING CREW 98?!?!
That's an awesome add for the West
Shame it sounds like it's another Japanese game that Nintendo have done zero translation work to but still cool to have easy access to it
Realistically there’s very little translation work to be done in the first place.

But yes, we will never get an official translation of Marvelous, short of an actual remake.

Realistically there’s very little translation work to be done in the first place.

But yes, we will never get an official translation of Marvelous, short of an actual remake.
Precisely. There’s no way on earth Nintendo is going to pay anyone to do official ROM hacks and translations of these games at this point which would need to be available in multiple languages aside from English. Or they need to build in the capability for the emulators to do on the fly text substitutions for each game which is possible but is still likely a lot of work.

It’s probably not financially viable with NSO, whereas a retail release and a remake designed from the ground up for an international audience could be profitable or break even at least because you can charge more for it.

Realistically, the only SNES games with mainstream appeal that are not already on NSO are the big Capcom or Squaresoft titles, which I seriously doubt will ever come. Nintendo has already tapped that well out.
The fanbase will come together when Sutte Hakkun is released.

Back
Top Bottom