• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST32 May 2024| Endless Ocean Season!, Paper Mario Season!

Which Season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
today's glitch of the day:

I overhauled some basic Grögol Bonanza systems to make them quicker for me to work with! which created a new fun "two chunks of dialogue at one" situation!

lLR4Bnx.jpeg

Would be really cool if SEGA revisited Space Harrier and do something cool with it.

And I would do anything for love
And I'll be there till the final act
Oh, I would do anything for love
And I'll take the vow and seal a pact
Oh, I would do anything for love
Would you work on your backlog?
But I won't do that
No I won't do that

Did a hour of coop online in Megaton Musashi Wired, had a blast and got some broken parts XD. Finally got a full set of Getter parts for Holo casing too so I could use the specials. Now back to the story tomorrow

@Suswave the Racc dialogue screenshots you posted the other day had me literally rolling with laughter

the way you've picked up on some of my speech patterns is a little uncanny but also understandable given the wealth of reference material I've inadvertently created for the past five years

very grateful to be included!

@Suswave the Racc dialogue screenshots you posted the other day had me literally rolling with laughter

the way you've picked up on some of my speech patterns is a little uncanny but also understandable given the wealth of reference material I've inadvertently created for the past five years

very grateful to be included!
oh my god I'm so glad you like them!

I absolutely was going to tag you for vibe approval but I think that was literally the day you self-banned for a break and I know how that goes so I didn't want to bug you

it certainly does help to have the well of reference material, but I think a lot of it is that our senses of humor aren't entirely dissimilar

I always want to be extra conscious when writing for friend-based-characters that I do them justice without subsuming them. but I also want the humor to be consistent with my own and make sense in whatever context I'm giving

it's kind of like we end up with a fucked up homunculus made of the space between us — and I want to give that homunculus a good life

plus always make sure their characterization and arcs in-universe make sense in both the world and the story

not to keep rambling about the writing process, but...

like in writing I think one of my worst fears is reducing anyone to a cutout or a catchphrase

so anything I want to reference, I try to make comically oblique, work into something that is funny or strange or compelling without any context, but has some 4D garnish if sought — and always as secondary to the depth of characterization

i.e. — with @Derachi's character, his arc will culminate in a fight in a literal subway station. long con transliterated puns, etcetera

one example for your character — a long time ago when I was showing off character designs, you replied "big fan of smooth terry"

so, in the game — including in this demo! — your character happens to be a big fan of Smooth Terry

which manifests in an actual side quest to go grab drinks for both you... and then takes an unexpected, lore-relevant detour that technically leads to a new area you can't meaningfully access from any other angle

canonically because in your rush to be cool about talking to Smooth Terry, you forget that your obvious fridge is for secrets and your secret fridge is for drinks

in addition to several other key fridges in the game that happen to be yours

one of which will have the drinks

which can only be brought to you once the moment is long past (but still is rewarding for both the player and your character!)

you can also bet there'll be some distortion of the concept of T-Square in your lore

other things you do in the game:
  • sell bootleg music
  • divulge rail lore
  • sabotage (good)
  • curate (sound check in the demo, art gallery* in the game)
*much more interesting and joyfully nefarious than that sounds, I promise

oh my god I'm so glad you like them!

I absolutely was going to tag you for vibe approval but I think that was literally the day you self-banned for a break and I know how that goes so I didn't want to bug you

it certainly does help to have the well of reference material, but I think a lot of it is that our senses of humor aren't entirely dissimilar

I always want to be extra conscious when writing for friend-based-characters that I do them justice without subsuming them. but I also want the humor to be consistent with my own and make sense in whatever context I'm giving

it's kind of like we end up with a fucked up homunculus made of the space between us — and I want to give that homunculus a good life

plus always make sure their characterization and arcs in-universe make sense in both the world and the story

not to keep rambling about the writing process, but...

like in writing I think one of my worst fears is reducing anyone to a cutout or a catchphrase

so anything I want to reference, I try to make comically oblique, work into something that is funny or strange or compelling without any context, but has some 4D garnish if sought — and always as secondary to the depth of characterization

i.e. — with @Derachi 's character, his arc will culminate in a fight in a literal subway station. long con transliterated puns, etcetera

one example for your character — a long time ago when I was showing off character designs, you replied "big fan of smooth terry"

so, in the game — including in this demo! — your character happens to be a big fan of Smooth Terry

which manifests in an actual side quest to go grab drinks for both you... and then takes an unexpected, lore-relevant detour that technically leads to a new area you can't meaningfully access from any other angle

canonically because in your rush to be cool about talking to Smooth Terry, you forget that your obvious fridge is for secrets and your secret fridge is for drinks

in addition to several other key fridges in the game that happen to be yours

one of which will have the drinks

which can only be brought to you once the moment is long past (but still is rewarding for both the player and your character!)

you can also bet there'll be some distortion of the concept of T-Square in your lore

other things you do in the game:

• sell bootleg music
  • divulge rail lore
  • sabotage (good)
  • curate (sound check in the demo, art gallery* in the game)

*much more interesting and joyfully nefarious than that sounds, I promise
this all sounds lovely and I am touched

art museums are NOT pretentious by the way. maybe ethically dubious sometimes but not pretentious

also I am a big fan of the use of "in equal measure," that specifically is what made it feel like my own self

this all sounds lovely and I am touched

art museums are NOT pretentious by the way. maybe ethically dubious sometimes but not pretentious

also I am a big fan of the use of "in equal measure," that specifically is what made it feel like my own self
LMAO I'm glad that landed — that was like the fifth phrase I tried in that spot and I was SURE it was the one, unquantifiably

something I wouldn't normally say, something I don't think I've seen you say, but something that somehow captures your cadence just right

the art museum in question is far from pretentious but simultaneously more and less ethically dubious (pictures all sourced by you and ethically obtained? — check! designed by you to double as a successful vehicle for counter-counter-intelligence? — also check!)

my wife and I (but mostly them) just finished Return of the Obra Dinn for the first time

absolutely fantastic and compelling game

that could have been even better if the ending was different

my wife and I (but mostly them) just finished Return of the Obra Dinn for the first time

Obra Dinn rules so much. I was slightly let down by the ultimate 'secret' you uncover and the ending a bit, but the overall game is so good that it didn't really bring it down much IMO

Obra Dinn rules so much. I was slightly let down by the ultimate 'secret' you uncover and the ending a bit, but the overall game is so good that it didn't really bring it down much IMO
maybe we're too invested in 4D chess over here but I think we were a bit more let down than it seems you were, lol

there was what seemed to be a bit of implied lore / plot that the ending undid a little, and things we thought were foreshadowed for the end that didn't quite come to pass

granted I feel silly griping about what truly was an incredible game full of holy shit moment after holy shit moment... and it's probably fair to say the ending might have tracked if the rest of the game weren't so incredibly good at unfolding

it just feels like the "answers" kind of make a key component of the cause / effect make less sense. or maybe we just really ran with the chapter title and imagined things more intricately woven than they were laid out to be.

there didn't even need to be a holy shit twist or anything, just... maybe more existential followthrough instead of a more straightforward postscript.

now... a real wacky fucker like me would have loved for the end bit to turn the whole thing completely on its head somehow — but I certainly don't think it was missing that. just a little more oomph with the elements they already had, in lieu of any final shocks of any size.

maybe we're too invested in 4D chess over here but I think we were a bit more let down than it seems you were, lol

there was what seemed to be a bit of implied lore / plot that the ending undid a little, and things we thought were foreshadowed for the end that didn't quite come to pass

granted I feel silly griping about what truly was an incredible game full of holy shit moment after holy shit moment... and it's probably fair to say the ending might have tracked if the rest of the game weren't so incredibly good at unfolding

it just feels like the "answers" kind of make a key component of the cause / effect make less sense. or maybe we just really ran with the chapter title and imagined things more intricately woven than they were laid out to be.

there didn't even need to be a holy shit twist or anything, just... maybe more existential followthrough instead of a more straightforward postscript.

now... a real wacky fucker like me would have loved for the end bit to turn the whole thing completely on its head somehow — but I certainly don't think it was missing that. just a little more oomph with the elements they already had, in lieu of any final shocks of any size.
I think we're pretty much aligned, more or less. The Chapter title combined with it being unlocked right at the end made my mind go wild with all the possibilities of what it could be and what it could mean, so it being what you said - more of a straightforward explanation of the inciting incident rather than something really twisty or something - did feel like a bit of a let-down. But that feeling didn't linger with me too much.

I was half-convinced that someone on the ship made a demonic pact, or a few of the crew performed a ritual sacrifice or something along those lines for a while, lol

Never completed it but I got distracted.

Still, it's a short one, at least, so I should just complete it.

All chores: done
Daily exercise: done
Necessary groceries: done

Time to chill, enjoy a few could beers while testing some fountain pen inks, journalling, gaming and watching Gamecenter CX 🍺😀

Edit: I hope your sunday is as chill and happy as mine 😎

I agree that the ending was a letdown. Ultimately the story itself isn’t anything unique or special. BUT. The game around that story is truly incredible. I was able to make peace with the lesser story since the “story” of my discovery throughout more than made up for it.

That moment when I zoomed in and saw numbers on the hammocks and finally figured out which character from the lower decks I had been looking for for hours…

I'd wrap up Elden Ring and play more Fallout 76 but university has really distracted me as of late.

Hit the big 20K scrobbles mark on LastFM!
20-KScrobbles.jpg

I'll throw behind a spoiler tag how I got there, with my top 13 artists, top 10 songs, and top 10 albums.
20-KArtists.jpg

20KSongs.jpg

20-KAlbums.jpg
I absolutely forgot about Last FM and scrobbling lol. I used to track it religiously but haven't done it in like ten years or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom