• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Digital Foundry did a video on ROG Ally just getting Frame gen. The amd version. How can they get it but the Switch 2 can't?
I was talking specifically about Nvidia's frame generation, which uses the Optical Flow Accelerator (OFA). And officially, Nvidia's frame generation's only available on RTX 40 GPUs since the OFA on RTX 40 GPUs is much faster than the OFA on RTX 20 and RTX 30 GPUs.

Of course, nobody knows how capable the OFA on T234/T239 is. Saying that, I do think the OFA on T234/T239 isn't the same as the OFA on RTX 30 GPUs since optical flow does have automotive applications. But I also don't think that the OFA on T234/T239 is comparable to the OFA on RTX 40 GPUs.

I think AMD's frame generation on the other uses ALUs (e.g. CUDA cores, stream processors, etc.) to ensure compatibility with non-AMD GPUs.

I managed to find a chart from Nvidia comparing the OFA capabilities of RTX 20 (Turing), RTX 30 (Ampere), and RTX 40 (Ada Lovelace) GPUs, which is very interesting to say the least.

well I guess we will see how sluggish and dismal the sales apparently are soon. This is the first article I have seen referring to Switch sales as outright bad
will they release new sales data may 7th or is it just a meeting with the usual q&a? i forgot what happened in the last one...

I was talking specifically about Nvidia's frame generation, which uses the Optical Flow Accelerator (OFA). And officially, Nvidia's frame generation's only available on RTX 40 GPUs since the OFA on RTX 40 GPUs is much faster than the OFA on RTX 20 and RTX 30 GPUs.

Of course, nobody knows how capable the OFA on T234/T239 is. Saying that, I do think the OFA on T234/T239 isn't the same as the OFA on RTX 30 GPUs since optical flow does have automotive applications. But I also don't think that the OFA on T234/T239 is comparable to the OFA on RTX 40 GPUs.

I think AMD's frame generation on the other uses ALUs (e.g. CUDA cores, stream processors, etc.) to ensure compatibility with non-AMD GPUs.

I managed to find a chart from Nvidia comparing the OFA capabilities of RTX 20 (Turing), RTX 30 (Ampere), and RTX 40 (Ada Lovelace) GPUs, which is very interesting to say the least.
It is done on the Async Compute hardware/engines in modern GPUs of the last 5 years or so.

Give away Star Fox Adventures for no price beyond NSO subscription, it probably devalues the ones they do want to charge people for. "Why isn't this just on NSO?" would definitely be something the social media guys would be sick of seeing in response to an announcement of putting Super Mario Galaxy 2 or Luigi's Mansion 1 up for sale.
Considering how often I come across the criticism of "we want to actually BUY and OWN the games," the idea of people reacting to something like LM1 with "why isn't this just on NSO" just seems so alien to me.

pretty sure it's the former. Q&A isn't till June I think
Nintendo holds Q&As at all the annual events except, usually, the Q1 results briefing in August. So three are done after the Q2 (November), Q3 (February), and Q4 (May) briefings, and one is done at the annual general meeting of shareholders (June).

Nintendo has briefed ~400+ people about the new system and the transition process.
They may not talk about switch 2 may 7th because the people they care more about are already informed.
this?:
1000019576.jpg

Seems it's lost on some observers that this is just a list of the things they discuss in every publicly available financial results briefing and Q&A.

People: Nintendo doesn't tell anyone about their unannounced plans that doesn't need to know about them. Developers and publishers need to know specs and release window to prepare games, suppliers need to know production timeline to create or procure components, but investors don't need to know anything for any reason. If and when hardware is discussed at non-public meetings, it's in the same generalities as it is in the public Q&As, like "the launch of new hardware is an important subject for our business because..." or "when we design new hardware we always try to..." or explaining how they want to use Nintendo Accounts to create a smooth transition. They aren't telling them when it's going to launch or any kind of other details about it.

This document is new?
No. It's been available since March 27.

It's just them outlining a general flow of discussion topics that take place with investors. It's not new nor does it offer any insight into their coming plans. It's them being transparent in how IR is handled.

This document is new?
It's the corporate governance report, which is updated roughly once a year (with old versions of the PDF being overwritten). The latest update was in March 2024 (previous was in June 2023), which added this section, "Details of Dialogue with Shareholders," to the pages on "Policy for Constructive Dialogue with Shareholders" which were already there. The section states what the topics were that they have already discussed in FY24 in different forums with investors, and... it's the exact same list of topics they discuss every quarter in their financial results. The previous paragraph even mentions the public briefings and Q&As as one of the forums in question, so they're not even necessarily stating that each one of these topics had any private discussion at all.

It's the corporate governance report, which is updated roughly once a year (with old versions of the PDF being overwritten). The latest update was in March 2024 (previous was in June 2023), which added this section, "Details of Dialogue with Shareholders," to the pages on "Policy for Constructive Dialogue with Shareholders" which were already there. The section states what the topics were that they have already discussed in FY24 in different forums with investors, and... it's the exact same list of topics they discuss every quarter in their financial results. The previous paragraph even mentions the public briefings and Q&As as one of the forums in question, so they're not even necessarily stating that each one of these topics had any private discussion at all.
This is the concerning thing: I'm seeing claims now that Nintendo told investors about the Switch 2 back in March based on this document. The document does not imply such a thing. It doesn't imply a release window or FY target. It's... nothing.

So it's a generic topic that covers future hardware and how they will transition included in every single one?

And their answer each time might be "nothing to announce at this time"

I originally came in here to say that if they already divulged info to select sharedholders, then it's unlikely they will keep quiet on May 7th. That's the part people are spreading around that doesn't make sense to me. They act like Nintendo would be satisfying a baseline condition to cover themselves by letting shareholders know and then that's that. I don't think that's really how it works.

But based on what you said, sounds like this was a misunderstanding to begin with.

it was asked in previous years' meetings?
Yes. Back in February, Nintendo talked about the transition period in the investor Q&A. This is simply noting such an interaction took place. It's not a forecast or future outlook of topics. It's a recollection of what has been discussed in the current/prior FY as of March 27, 2024. Nothing stated there is new.

As the document states: it's communication from FY2024... which concluded in March. Nintendo's current is FY2025.

Last edited:
Yes. Back in February, Nintendo talked about the transition period in the investor Q&A. This is simply noting such an interaction took place. It's not a forecast or future outlook of topics. It's a recollection of what has been discussed in the prior FY as of March 27, 2024.
ah dammit :cry:

If nothing leaks or happen beforehand, we have 25 hours until the official meeting starts so we can only wait and hope for the best

The investor meeting will likely be another nothingburger and repeats of what we already heard the past few years.
"Uncharted territory... Nintendo Accounts exist... We at Nintendo always r&d hardware... Switch continues to be our main focus..."

This is the one time i genuinely want to be proven wrong and Nintendo just says: "It's coming, stay tuned for more."

I actually have a good feeling about this, but if it doesn't happen, I'l still sit calmly.

How's the Switch their main focus, if only LM2HD is releasing next month? I really doubt it's their main focus.

So, the last possible time to get official news from Nintendo outside of tomorrow's meeting would be around 3pm CET, right? If we get nothing there, the last straw would be the meeting and after that, another month of waiting lies before us?

So, the last possible time to get official news from Nintendo outside of tomorrow's meeting would be around 3pm CET, right? If we get nothing there, the last straw would be the meeting and after that, another month of waiting lies before us?
The tweet that said the Switch reveal trailer was coming was announced at 5:30 pm PDT, so they could absolutely announce it at 2 am CET.

It's a bit different when they have a Japanese announcement tied to an investor's meeting. For instance they announced the Zelda movie with the "This is Miyamoto" tweet at 11pm CET.

If there's anything they need to announce beforehand it'll probably be a few hours before the meeting, early morning Japan time.

I’m still feeling that at best we’ll get some form of “We have nothing to say on the matter for now.”
Nintendo is pretty keen on trying to keep focus on the Switch, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they say it’s their focus going into 2025 as well, despite having a very slim lineup.

Brief news: Midori has struck again with a new leak

I believe this is either in reference to a collaboration with SEGA again like TMS, or maybe a Kirby title. At least it's something to add to the "Games coming to Switch 2 at some point hopefully maybe" conga line.

I believe this is either in reference to a collaboration with SEGA again like TMS, or maybe a Kirby title. At least it's something to add to the "Games coming to Switch 2 at some point hopefully maybe" conga line.

Honestly this can mean literally anything, Nintendo codenames are weird.

Honestly this can mean literally anything, Nintendo codenames are weird.
That's true. My main guess as to the SEGA collaboration thing is that Midori tends to leak SEGA information so it wasn't a far stretch. Still interesting to know that another title is in development even if there's very little way on how to pin it down.

I don't recall Midori ever leaking something not SEGA/Atlus related*, so i'll be cautious about this one.

*But i also don't follow these accounts very closely.

I’m still feeling that at best we’ll get some form of “We have nothing to say on the matter for now.”
Nintendo is pretty keen on trying to keep focus on the Switch, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they say it’s their focus going into 2025 as well, despite having a very slim lineup.

We'll get the same thing we get at every quarterly Q&A. A Japanese news outlet will report on something said in the Q&A which vaguely relates to new hardware, and western gaming websites will misinterpret and/or mistranslate it with the most sensationalist possible interpretation. When the transcript is published a few days later it will become clear that it was just one of Nintendo's usual non-answers, but by that point everyone will have taken the misinterpreted version as fact, and none of the websites which reported on it will edit their stories.

Silly question, I know Midori stated as a game, but can it also be the codename for Switch II, as they stated the Sega Reboots/Remakes were coming to Switch II aswell?

That's true. My main guess as to the SEGA collaboration thing is that Midori tends to leak SEGA information so it wasn't a far stretch. Still interesting to know that another title is in development even if there's very little way on how to pin it down.
Def a Sega/Atlus collab if this is true and not rubbish

How messed up is that? Because I am not a majority shareholder I am not informed?
@Shareholder Chad can you elaborate on anything we are not understanding?

That is a nothingburger. Nate explained it perfectly.

That said, Switch 2 talk amongst shareholders has exploded since the report last week. It really is impossible to sift through the bullshit vs. legitimate. I tried my hand at it earlier this year and failed miserably. All I say is, 400 people/reps briefed? Yea can fucking confirm. <opinion> I'd be stunned if this thing isn't "announced" or "mentioned" by the annual shareholder meet. 400 will turn into thousands there as we talk about all the rumors there. </opinion>

I think I have some decisions to make regarding stock.

Edit: Just to add, Nintendo briefing their higher percentage stock holders (mainly reps of Japan's banks) is nothing new and honestly does not give us a true insight as to the announcement timing. Just "seems" like too much fire going on behind the scenes for it not to be soon.

Last edited:
Silly question, I know Midori stated as a game, but can it also be the codename for Switch II, as they stated the Sega Reboots/Remakes were coming to Switch II aswell?
Honestly the only real codename that would compliment that idea is that the Wii U's codename was Cafe which was a fairly strange one relative to the others. You look at a lot of the codenames for the major series and the only one that really makes sense is the Kirby series.
Tokyo Mirage Sessions 2?
I don't believe so. TMS was a primarily Atlus-made title with the codename "Stainless"... doesn't really make much sense. The other codenames from Atlus generally very simple "code with numbers" like Persona 4, Golden, 5 and Royal being XRD630/654/664/744 respectively. There's a lot of those. Idk what's really going on with this codename.

It's also ignoring the fact that this might just outright be a new IP, a lack of correlation usually means that... idk.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom