• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

i don’t think there’s an empirical way to conclude whether or not the COVID pandemic/lockdowns boosted the Switch’s hardware sales.

There’s no way of knowing if the COVID era boost was really a one kind of thing, or if it was a phenomenon of the Switch reaching a higher peak before time because, with how consistently well the console is selling, it’s possible the Switch could have sold what it sold in the COVID year in two years or something like that.

Which leads me to think that, if not for COVID, the Switcj could have lasted an additional year as a very active console
Don't scare people with this Twilight Zone-level madness.

Power gating was mentioned in the hack. There is also a Linux driver which was in development, but deleted while in progress, from Nvidia's repositories. That has hints of power gating as well being different between Orin and Drake

The video decode block is mentioned in the Linux driver.
Do you happen to remember details regarding the power gating?
I doubt they will use that example. They will keep pretending the Wii U never existed.
I doubt that as they’ve acknowledged it sparingly in the past even with game releases or touching base on it and learning from mistakes. Though, I don’t see using the Wii U (or even the 3DS) as good examples mind you.
I'm in the believe that Covid affected Nintendos plans so deeply, that it's one of the main reasons we'll be getting it in 2025.
like in a world where covid didn't happen, the Switch would have been possibly a 60-90M system seller, but with covid came a huge influx of new fans, that realised ,, Wow, this system is pretty good''

like @Concernt mentioned i think yesterday, we are still seeing the affects of Covid, instead for Nintendo it was more favourable.

Also because people are still buying a system in it's 8th year, like godamn how is that possible, even the Wii didn't have that.
GMm7Y1nXoAALR29
As an aside as others have responded to this, but this chart is wrong. That’s all I’ll say.

I could potentially see rare examples of it beating even PS5 and XSX in image quality as well - specifically when those versions use something like checkerboard rendering, which uses half the pixels of 4K but still doesn't match DLSS performance mode.
I would need to pull the leash and point at the sign….
1790104-80937268-IMGSET

Let’s not get that ahead of ourselves now…

The remakes of Super Mario RPG and Mario vs Donkey Kong didn't prevent SNES and GBA from coming to NSO. The remake of Link's Awakening and the HD Super Mario 64 didn't prevent those games from coming to NSO later. The existence of Super Mario 3D All-Stars made many folks believe that N64 could never come to NSO.

Nintendo has tities that don't have the critical or sales history to merit a remake - Star Fox Adventures, Link's Crossbow Training, MadWorld. Even digital only HD uprezzes of these games would sell poorly - the only way for Nintendo to make money from those games that are just sitting there is to give them away for "free" to keep people paying for a subscription service

Nintendo also has franchises that aren't good for getting remakes, no matter how beloved the game. Animal Crossing, Smash, Mario Kart, the Mario sports titles - remakes compete with the "real" game that generation in a way that a remake of a Zelda game does not.

Eyeballing it, I see ~15-20 games in the GCN/Wii catalogues that Nintendo could use to sustain a service while leaving open plenty of beloved games for remakes and remasters. You could push that line further by dropping games that receive a remake, but the remake is tapped out. If Metroid Prime shows up on a GameCube NSO in 2027, are any buyers of remastered going to feel shafted? Would Nintendo lose any sales? Probably not.

I’m replying to both of you at the same time as my response is the same. Nintendo has referred to the Switch as a Family of systems, aka a brand. So maybe instead of thinking of the Switch as an individual system, even a group of systems, it’s really a brand of consoles made by Nintendo. Think similar towards Microsoft with Xbox, or of course Sony with PlayStation. Nintendo might be shifting their focus to make the Switch a brand of consoles that'll span generations rather than only a few short years like they’ve done since the SNES in the console space.

But as Concert mentioned, the Game Boy was really just a brand of handhelds, which over time received improvements, whether aesthetic, comfort, QOL, or even graphical improvements. Ultimately, they were all just a Game Boy. Ask most random folks out there who are not gamers, and they'll know what a Game Boy is, even if they don’t understand the differences between the first one to the last one. Branding can have a massive influence, and we’ve seen this with PlayStation globally, and Xbox primarily in the Western countries.

The Switch to me feels like a restart from Nintendo in terms of branding, and it'll continue for the foreseeable future. Now, how does that pertain towards May 7th? Nintendo could just say they expect “the Switch family of systems to continue growing into this current Fiscal year.“ While I would love for them to tease something, it may not end up occurring.

Switch 1, Switch 2, Switch OLED, etc, etc. None of that truly matters because Switch is successful enough to be a brand within itself of Nintendo. Non-gamers may not understand the difference between a Switch 1, and a Switch 2, but they'll understand what a Nintendo Switch is. Nerds will know the differences between each year of the Ford F150, but the average person will just know it’s an F150, and it'll do truck stuff, and that might be good enough for them.
I agree in a general sense, but putting myself in the shoes of shareholders, it wouldn't make sense for Nintendo to try to set the precedent of "Switch family transcends generations" until after they've acknowledged a next gen model.

The remakes of Super Mario RPG and Mario vs Donkey Kong didn't prevent SNES and GBA from coming to NSO. The remake of Link's Awakening and the HD Super Mario 64 didn't prevent those games from coming to NSO later. The existence of Super Mario 3D All-Stars made many folks believe that N64 could never come to NSO.

Nintendo has tities that don't have the critical or sales history to merit a remake - Star Fox Adventures, Link's Crossbow Training, MadWorld. Even digital only HD uprezzes of these games would sell poorly - the only way for Nintendo to make money from those games that are just sitting there is to give them away for "free" to keep people paying for a subscription service

Nintendo also has franchises that aren't good for getting remakes, no matter how beloved the game. Animal Crossing, Smash, Mario Kart, the Mario sports titles - remakes compete with the "real" game that generation in a way that a remake of a Zelda game does not.

Eyeballing it, I see ~15-20 games in the GCN/Wii catalogues that Nintendo could use to sustain a service while leaving open plenty of beloved games for remakes and remasters. You could push that line further by dropping games that receive a remake, but the remake is tapped out. If Metroid Prime shows up on a GameCube NSO in 2027, are any buyers of remastered going to feel shafted? Would Nintendo lose any sales? Probably not.
Agreed. There's so many games that are not gonna get a remaster/remake that would serve well on a GCN NSO app. Mario Kart Double Dash, the Mario Party games, any Mario sports game, Animal Crossing, Chibi-robo, Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness, Pokemon Colosseum, Batallion Wars, etc etc. I can keep going. The reality is Nintendo is going to remake/remaster games that make sense whether it be because of a new game in the series (Pikmin 1+2) or they are highly desired like Paper Mario TTYD. Metroid Prime can fit both.

A few remasters is in no way a sign that nintendo is clearly not going to do an app. It just doesn't make much sense. As Oldpuck says, you can argue that with the Wii too.

I would need to pull the leash and point at the sign….
1790104-80937268-IMGSET

This is more about how checkerboard is a last-gen reconstruction technique with especially inferior image quality than it is being super optimistic about Switch 2. Checkerboard 2160p using half the pixels looks worse than DLSS 2160p Performance Mode using a quarter of the pixels, this is fact demonstrated by DF in their God of War 2018 comparison video when the PC port came out. Resident Evil 4 Remake uses checkerboard 2160p. If Switch 2 in its docked mode can manage DLSS 2160p Performance Mode (so, 1080p plus the DLSS cost) then based on what we know it would look better. The actual graphics settings might be worse, as they were on the PS4/Pro versions, and the framerate might be 30fps instead of 60, but I was specifically talking about image quality.

Do you happen to remember details regarding the power gating?
The driver has a flag, "engine_can_cg" (engine can clock gate) for the chip as a whole, and each block on the chip. Orin sets the chip level flag to "true" but for each block on the chip - MSENC (alternate name for NVENC, I believe), NVDEC, NVJPG, OFA, TSEC, VIC - it's "false."

Drake has "engine_can_cg" set to "true" for all of its blocks - MSENC, NVDEC, OFA, TSEC, and VIC. Whether or not this is the "FLCG" clock gating that Ada supposedly does is totally unclear to me. Nvidia one mention of clock gating in relation to Ada, and it seems to be a memory controller specific technique.

Orin supports power gating on these blocks - basically just turning them off entirely. Presumably clock gating would reduce the power draw of these blocks when "on-but-idle".

Missed opportunity for Shulk's "Let's not lose our heads though..."

I do wonder, with another Apple event in two days, and the high likelihood of unveiling brand new iPad Pros, if people's expectations here would again be unreasonably elevated.

There's no point.
It will work with lpddr5x.
The issue we had at the time was a bit more complicated than the 120hz screen. I don't believe anyone took issue with that, or at least it was rather secondary to this:

8GB of Ram and 64GB storage would be either business suicide or taking the piss from Nintendo, it's just incredibly short sighted.
120hz screen but 8GB of RAM and 64GB storage sounds hilariously wrong to me. Might as well add in 4 TFLOPs GPU docked and regular lpddr5 to take advantage of those specs! /
If the only reason Nintendo does not acknowledge the Switch 2 is to sell a bit more Switch units this year, that is a pretty pathetic reasoning. I don't think Sony would ever not announce they plan to release new hardware to their investors to ''save'' holiday sales of their current console, you can't be that shortsighted as a hardware maker.

It comes a time when you just have to move on as a company, regardless if it have short term negative implications for hardware sales. It feels like Nintendo will move so late in announcing Switch 2 that the first time people will see it will be from a chinese factory worker taking a picture, and it will be entirely Nintendo's own fault if that happens.
I think the question we should be asking is... Does Nintendo have a big new release this year to sell the hardware through the holidays?
Any expectation of RE9 arriving to Switch 2…

Also would be cool if Capcom did Remake collection, something like this, but for the remakes.

s-l1600.jpg
lmao. No way for the remakes. Expect $60 a piece. if not $70.
The big reason for the high RAM bandwidth is because it still relied on traditional rendering at the time, where rendering was done in the main RAM itself. This differs from the Switch which used tile-based rendering, holding tiles being rendered in cache until they were finished before flushing them to main RAM. So while things like textures would be cached for each system, the PS4 would still have to interact with the buffers in main RAM for each pixel with reads and writes, but the Switch did not until the very end. The Xbox One did something similar to Switch through the use of its eSRAM (and Xbox 360 with eDRAM), but the overall bandwidth wasn't enough to match what PS4 had. Combined with the weaker GPU, it rendered the same games as PS4, but at a lower resolution.

The CPU only held back the frame rate, pushing many games into the 30fps range, but planning with 30fps in mind meant double the frame time vs 60fps, and devs would plan accordingly, and could push the GPU that much more per frame because of the available time. With the slow HDD, most of the time it was during loading screens or planned script events, so it had no real affect on bandwidth.

I could potentially see rare examples of it beating even PS5 and XSX in image quality as well - specifically when those versions use something like checkerboard rendering, which uses half the pixels of 4K but still doesn't match DLSS performance mode.
Somewhat tangent.. 'm curious what's superior between checker and tile based rendering, or if it's situational. I know that all consoles since switch has released actually use tile based rendering, which is supposed to be more efficient than checkerboard rendering. Tile based rendering helped the switch be a lot more efficient and kind of made up for its lack of bandwidth. Since Nintendo doesn't have that benefit anymore for itself, I don't think Nintendo/Nvidia's ampere tech is more RAM bandwidth efficient than current gen consoles using RNA1/2, but I could be wrong. DLSS should help out a lot, but I'm curious to see how AMD evolves their upscaling over time. They will even the playing field eventually. They're already working on that with RT cores.

i don’t think there’s an empirical way to conclude whether or not the COVID pandemic/lockdowns boosted the Switch’s hardware sales.

There’s no way of knowing if the COVID era boost was really a one kind of thing, or if it was a phenomenon of the Switch reaching a higher peak before time because, with how consistently well the console is selling, it’s possible the Switch could have sold what it sold in the COVID year in two years or something like that.

Which leads me to think that, if not for COVID, the Switcj could have lasted an additional year as a very active console
iirc during the lockdowns, there was a shortage of electronic parts, including transistors. it didn't really affect Nintendo, but it did affect Sony and MS with their new consoles. . They could have gotten more. It wasn't easy to get any of the current ten consoles, especially Series X, cause it was the largest and had the most components. imo, there's no doubt hat Cross gen has been longer due to covid. All gaming industries benefited from people staying at home in some way, (hardware and/or software sales), it indie think it benefited Nintendo the most.

Somewhat tangent.. 'm curious what's superior between checker and tile based rendering, or if it's situational. I know that all consoles since switch has released actually use tile based rendering, which is supposed to be more efficient than checkerboard rendering. Tile based rendering helped the switch be a lot more efficient and kind of made up for its lack of bandwidth. Since Nintendo doesn't have that benefit anymore for itself, I don't think Nintendo/Nvidia's ampere tech is more RAM bandwidth efficient than current gen consoles using RNA1/2, but I could be wrong. DLSS should help out a lot, but I'm curious to see how AMD evolves their upscaling over time. They will even the playing field eventually. They're already working on that with RT cores..

They have nothing to do with each other. Tile-based rendering is about rendering a frame in small chunks so they can fit in cache which means you don't need as much RAM bandwidth, as opposed to beforehand when they rendered the whole frame at once in RAM. Checkerboard rendering is a reconstruction technique like DLSS or FSR2 but older and less effective.

On a technical level, yes. The question is why they would give them to NSO subscribers rather than selling them as they've already started doing. Unless they just want NSO GCN/Wii apps full of games nobody would pay for.
Pretty much your last sentence.

We would get the obligatory mario platform error and Kart and the zeldas and a bunch of "cool, but no one asked for this." games. Also, not every games are worth remastering.

but I wonder after 25-30 years if Xbox and PlayStation have held on to their original audience.
I feel like the most casual are actually on their platform. The Fifa, the WWE, the NBA, MLB, top spin, and Madden etc etc are largely casual players they will pick up one or two games and that's it. This isn't me saying that anyone who play sports game are casual you do have some crossover.

They have nothing to do with each other. Tile-based rendering is about rendering a frame in small chunks so they can fit in cache which means you don't need as much RAM bandwidth, as opposed to beforehand when they rendered the whole frame at once in RAM. Checkerboard rendering is a reconstruction technique like DLSS or FSR2 but older and less effective.
Checkerboard rendering was a technology that I remember well before dlss1 and fsr1, and it really didn't work well, especially for dlss2.

Drake has "engine_can_cg" set to "true" for all of its blocks - MSENC, NVDEC, OFA, TSEC, and VIC.
Assuming T239 did inherit the Optical Flow Accelerator (OFA) from T234, I do wonder if Nintendo and Nvidia were testing the viability of frame generation in handheld mode with clock gating enabled on the OFA? And Nintendo and Nvidia found that frame generation wasn't particularly feasible for handheld mode without making significant sacrifices in performance and/or image quality? (I believe LiC mentioned that DLSS 3 support wasn't found on NVN2.)

The remakes of SMRPG, MvsDK, LA are totally new things ground up for a new generation. Very different from things like Pikmin 1 and 2 or Super Mario Sunshine for Switch.
I feel like it's more complex than that. Give away Star Fox Adventures for no price beyond NSO subscription, it probably devalues the ones they do want to charge people for. "Why isn't this just on NSO?" would definitely be something the social media guys would be sick of seeing in response to an announcement of putting Super Mario Galaxy 2 or Luigi's Mansion 1 up for sale.

Halfway point, the lesser games get a lesser price and subscribers get a discount or a fraction of them as subscriber bonuses similar to what they've done with DLCs.

I'm pretty confident though won't be mentioning anything about future hardware outside of the usual stuff we've heard before.

I think when it's announced it'll be through a video, they don't need to acknowledge its existence before they have a proper reveal ready. This isn't the Wii U era.

So I'm curious, why is it that dlss, which lacks frame generation, can't be called "dlss3", yet it was leaked during gamescom last year that switch2 supports Ray Reconstruction for dlss3.5?

So I'm curious, why is it that dlss, which lacks frame generation, can't be called "dlss3", yet it was leaked during gamescom last year that switch2 supports Ray Reconstruction for dlss3.5?
I think people are still somewhat unaware that the term "DLSS 3" was originally used as a marketing term to describe DLSS Frame Generation as they kept the upscaling portion as "DLSS 2", but later on NVIDIA updated the upscaling to DLSS version 3 and now it's become a general term to describe the latest version of all parts of DLSS (the upscaling, Frame Generation, and Ray Reconstruction).

FSR 3 has the same "problem", and AMD is now also doing the same thing by updating FSR 2 (aka the upscaling) to a newer version, calling it FSR 3.1 and "bundling it" with FSR Frame Generation.

Last edited:
Switch doesn't have the onboard hardware required to do framegen, but that doesn't mean it can't run 3.0. DLSS 3.0 is not just framegen, it's like a whole update to the program and framegen is just one new feature that's available starting with that version. The ray reconstruction feature that debuted with 3.5 doesn't require the specific onboard hardware that framegen requires, so Switch can potentially run it, along with the other updates 3.5 brings to DLSS.

Switch doesn't have the onboard hardware required to do framegen, but that doesn't mean it can't run 3.0. DLSS 3.0 is not just framegen, it's like a whole update to the program and framegen is just one new feature that's available starting with that version. The ray reconstruction feature that debuted with 3.5 doesn't require the specific onboard hardware that framegen requires, so Switch can potentially run it, along with the other updates 3.5 brings to DLSS.
switch 1 trying to execute frame generation:
tenor.gif

Macronix's Q1 financial results
Nintendo's game console sales continue to be dismal, with Wu Min-chiu admitting that the major client Nintendo is facing operational pressures this year. Institutional investors are concerned whether the shipment of ROM (Read-Only Memory) to Nintendo will increase if Nintendo launches a new console. Wu Min-chiu stated that this is a question for Nintendo, and the launch of a new console will definitely present opportunities, but based on past experience, it could go either way.

However, he pointed out that Macronix's development of 96-layer 3D NAND Flash will be shipped to Nintendo first, with sampling expected to be completed in the second half of this year and operationally supportive from the second half of next year.

"Dismal". ??????
Even if they are bad now, it's odd that they'd say they "continue to be" as though Switch's sales have been in the toilet for a while.

If the graphs I'm finding are correct, Switch's sales for 2023 (its sixth year) were roughly on par with 2018, it's second year. Which is not too shabby, right?

It's Monday for me. Could nintendo surprise announce a new system today? Yes. Will they? NO

It seems to be impossible to keep track of what's actually in production with these NAND manufacturers, between delays, misstatements or misreporting, and translation issues, because I'm pretty sure this is like the third or fourth time Macronix has announced that 96-layer NAND is starting production. This may be the first time they've linked it to Nintendo, but I wouldn't trust that statement either, frankly. There just doesn't seem to be much insight to gain by following this news.

Needless to say, Nintendo already has the cartridge situation for the next console figured out at this point.

Last edited:
Assuming T239 did inherit the Optical Flow Accelerator (OFA) from T234, I do wonder if Nintendo and Nvidia were testing the viability of frame generation in handheld mode with clock gating enabled on the OFA?
Not sure. I’m not sure if clock gating requires altering the hardware block, or if it’s just the interconnect that needs to be updated.

I’d love to know the timing of frame generation inside Nvidia. We know Lovelace started as (and still basically is) Ampere 2. At some point they must have decided frame gen needed new hardware and then branded Lovelace accordingly. Depending on how late in the game that happened, Nintendo may have not had much time to make the decision

Even if they are bad now, it's odd that they'd say they "continue to be" as though Switch's sales have been in the toilet for a while.

If the graphs I'm finding are correct, Switch's sales for 2023 (its sixth year) were roughly on par with 2018, it's second year. Which is not too shabby, right?
i mean do we expect these manufacturer's to care how well a system is selling for it's 6th or 7th year if it's less than the 5th? If it's showing a trend of decline? A decline is always bad in the business world especially if they gotta talk to investors who only understand numbers like this: number go up = good, Number go down = bad. There's no room for nuance.

Assuming T239 did inherit the Optical Flow Accelerator (OFA) from T234, I do wonder if Nintendo and Nvidia were testing the viability of frame generation in handheld mode with clock gating enabled on the OFA? And Nintendo and Nvidia found that frame generation wasn't particularly feasible for handheld mode without making significant sacrifices in performance and/or image quality? (I believe LiC mentioned that DLSS 3 support wasn't found on NVN2.)
Digital Foundry did a video on ROG Ally just getting Frame gen. The amd version. How can they get it but the Switch 2 can't?

we really going straight to "dismal" huh?

Is this editorializing or do they know about sales we don't?
At least Macronix's ROM business has significantly declined. This is a financial report.
In the first quarter, Macronix's ROM business performance declined by 27% quarterly and 51% annually, accounting for approximately 18% of revenue. Wu Min-chiu stated that the performance of the ROM business is related to Nintendo's game console models. As the Switch has entered its 8th year without the launch of a new model, ROM revenue may struggle to maintain high levels. If Nintendo introduces a new game console, it will help improve operational performance.

From Claude:

The article uses the term "慘淡" (can3 dan4) to describe Nintendo's game console sales. A more precise translation would be "sluggish" or "lacklustre" rather than "dismal."

The sentence is:

"任天堂遊戲機銷售持續慘淡,吳敏求坦承,大客戶任天堂是今年營運壓力。"

Which translates to:

"With Nintendo's game console sales remaining sluggish, Wu Min-Qiu admitted candidly that the major client Nintendo is putting pressure on Macronix's operations this year."

So "sluggish" or "lacklustre" would be a better adjective to describe Nintendo's sales according to how it is portrayed in this particular article, rather than the more strongly negative word "dismal."

Full translation by Claude:

[Reporter Hung You-fang/Hsinchu Report] Memory chip manufacturer Macronix (2337) held an investor conference today and announced its first quarter financial report, with a net loss after tax of NT$0.58 per share, marking three consecutive quarters of losses. Looking ahead at future operations, Chairman Wu Min-Qiu stated that based on customer orders, the market situation has improved to a certain extent, but it is still very difficult to judge whether this is short-term or long-term. "It is not 100% certain yet."

With Nintendo's game console sales remaining sluggish, Wu Min-Qiu admitted candidly that the major client Nintendo is putting pressure on Macronix's operations this year. Investors are concerned about whether Macronix's read-only memory (ROM) shipments will increase if Nintendo launches a new console. Wu Min-Qiu said this is a question for Nintendo, adding that the launch of a new console would definitely present an opportunity, but based on past experience, the outcome could be good or bad.

However, he pointed out that Macronix is developing 96-layer 3D NAND Flash memory, which will first be shipped to Nintendo. Sampling is expected to be completed in the second half of this year, with contributions to revenue expected in the second half of next year.

Regarding other product applications, Wu Min-Qiu said that applications in industrial control have been impacted by the US-China tech war, with coded NOR Flash memory shipments at low levels. Demand for automotive and medical applications has seen a recovery, while high-end server and Chinese telecommunication project orders are also showing signs of a rebound. Macronix recorded an inventory valuation loss of NT$500 million in the first quarter and is still working hard to reduce inventory levels, which will take some time to clear.

On the impact of the April 3 earthquake, Wu Min-Qiu said that after reporting to the insurance company, estimated earthquake damage is around NT$300 million, which will be recognized in the second quarter. Additionally, rising electricity prices have led to a 15% increase in electricity costs.

Macronix's first quarter revenue was NT$5.76 billion, down 1% quarter-on-quarter and 19% year-on-year. Gross margin was 19.8%, up 0.7 percentage points quarter-on-quarter but down 5.3 percentage points year-on-year. Net loss after tax was NT$1.079 billion, up 7% quarter-on-quarter and 204% year-on-year, with a net loss of NT$0.58 per share after tax.

It may be -30%, for forum users, it is normal for the sales of gaming consoles to decline by -20% in the later stage.
But for shareholders, a decline is abnormal.

well I guess we will see how sluggish and dismal the sales apparently are soon. This is the first article I have seen referring to Switch sales as outright bad
The sales will be where Nintendo forecasted them after Q3, which was a slight increase from their original forecast, nothing shocking in either direction. I don't get why people are focusing on that part of this article.

Please read this staff post before posting.

Furthermore, according to this follow-up post, all off-topic chat will be moderated.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom