• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion An Analysis on how many Nintendo-published SNES games are left for Nintendo Switch Online.

NantenJex

Rattata
Pronouns
he/him
With the NSO update today being all SNES games, I thought it would be interesting to take a look at what SNES games are still left for Nintendo Switch Online, specifically the ones published by Nintendo themselves (both original IP and otherwise).

From my calculations, there are 52 games left, excluding any Satellaview titles which are quite unlikely to come out. That said, not all of these 52 will come out so let's find out what the real number of Nintendo punlished games are.

Third party games
To start off, let's look at the 16 third party games on this list as some of them could easily come to NSO while others most likely won't due to licenses and who owns them. These 16 games are:

Arkanoid: Doh it Again | Space Invaders | Super Pinball: Behind the Mask | Kid Klown in Crazy Chase | Soccer Shootout | Plok | Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures | NCAA Basketball | Vegas Stakes | Terranigma | Illusion of Gaia | Secret of Mana | Secret of Evermore | Final Fantasy Mystic Quest | Street Fighter Alpha 2 | Mega Man X

So right off the bat, those five Square-Enix games and 2 Capcom games are very unlikely to come to NSO. Square-Enix hasn't put anything on the service yet and Capcom is selling Mega Man X i a collection on Switch. Alpha 2 could come to the service maybe, as the version they are selling on Switch already is the Arcade version, but I wouldn't bank on it.

As for the other 9 games, I think all of them are very likely for the services eventually, especially Plok and Arkanoid, with the exception of NCAA Basketball and Vegas Stakes. The former may have licensing issues with its use of real athletes and the latter is a gambling game. I'm not sure if/how that may affect its chances of getting on NSO but for this I'm going to guess neither can be added. So that's 7 games so far.

Licensed games
This category is similar to the first one, except here Nintendo had full publishing rights for these games worldwide, at least their SNES versions, but they don't fully own the games or IP themselves. There are 10 games in this category and they are:

Derby Stallion '98 | Power Lode Runner | Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow | Pinocchio | Power Soukoban | Metal Slader Glory Director's Cut | Mini Yonku Let's & Go!!: Power WGP 2 | Super Mario RPG | Super International Cricket | Winter Gold

Of this list, three of these are based on non-gaming properties. There are the two Disney games (Maui Mallard and Pinocchio) and then Power WGP 2 is based on a manga. But those are the only three that I feel have no chance of being added to the service. Super Mario RPG isn't very likely due to the remake existing but you never know. Maybe in 5 years time they'll release it because why not?

The other six will all happen eventually although four of them are Japan only games (although Power Soukaban and Power Lode Runner could easily be released in the West untranslated). Cricket and Winter Gold where both Europe-only titles originally but I don't think that will prevent their inclusion at all. So that's 13 games for the service.

Peripheral games
These next 7 are all games that require either the SNES Mouse or Super Scope to work. Currently, NSO doesn't support either but that doesn't mean they can't add that support in the future. These games are:

Mario Paint | Mario & Wario | Battle Clash | Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge | Super Scope 6 | Yoshi's Safari | Tin Star

Tin Star is the only one of these that may not come, just due to it being America-only, but that's not a guarantee. The real hurdle, especially for the Super Scope games, is Nintendo adding that support into the emulator. We'll put these 7 into the maybe pile so that's 13 for sure and 7 maybe.

Games with licensing / legal issues
These next four games all have licensing and legal issues that will almost certainly prevent them from coming onto the serivces. These 4 games are:

Ken Griffy Jr. Major Leauge Baseball | Ken Griffy Jr. Winning Run | NHL Stanley Cup | Uniracers

The first three are all sports games using real celebraties and the last one was an original title for Nintendo but they got sued by Pixar for releasing it and so will never touch the game again.

Japan-only games
Of the remaining 15 games, 10 of them are exclsuive to Japan and of those 10, only one of them (Undake 30) is unlikely to come to the service. These 10 games are:

Sutte Hakkun | Fire Emblem Thracia 776 | Super Famicom Wars | Famicom Detective Club Part II | Heisei Shin Oni Ga Shima (part 1) | Heisei Shin Oni Ga Shima (part 2) | Famicom Bunko: Hajimari no Mori | Shigesato Itoi Bass Fishing no. 1 | Zoo-tto Mahjong! | Undake 30: Same Game

Sutte Hakkun and Fire Emblem Thracia are the big two on this list and will likely be added sooner rather than later. Similar to Mario RPG, Famicom Detective Club Part II has a remake on Switch, but that doesn't prevent Nintendo from adding this (or the FDS originals) eventually.

Undake 30: Same Game is a weird one though. It was originally released as a limited promotional game with Nintendo Power Cartridges and only available for a month. Then it was moved to Satellaview and was their exclusively. Nintendo could release the original Nintendo Power version if they want, but the reason I think they might not is becaue Hudson actually remade the game and released it themselves, replacing Mario & friends with Hudson characters like Bonk and Bomberman. That version feels like the more likely version of the game to get added. So that's 9 games to be added, brining our total to 21 + 7.

The rest
These final 5 all feel like a guarantee to come to the service. Not all of them were released in Japan but they can easily be released over there for the first time if they want:

Sim City | Tetris 2 | Super Play Action Football | Wario's Woods | Dr. Mario & Tetris

When Dr. Mario & Tetris released in Japan, it actually lacked Tetris so if it comes to NSO that's what the Japan side will get. Just Dr. Mario. Of these five, Tetris is the one maybe becasue this version of the game was ported by the Tetris Company and they own the name rights, so Nintendo would have to negotiate with them to get it on. That might be an issue but I don't think it will be personally. I think all five of these will get added to the service in due course, Sim City and Wario's Woods especially.

And that's all of them. So in total, from our 52 starting count I think we can safely say that 26 of them, exactly half, will be added to the service eventually. There are 7 maybes here with the mouse and Super Scope game, so that number could actually be 33. And of those 33, I think 8 will remain exlsuively on the Japan side of NSO due to them being games that require reading to play.

And that's it. Maybe I'll do this again with NES when the next drop of games happens for that system. Thank you for coming to this ThrEaD talk.

Last edited:
Thanks for this. Super International Cricket is a beloved game from my childhood. I didn't think it would come to the service, though I forgot Nintendo published it. I just knew Beam Software/Melbourne House are now defunct.

SimCity requires working with EA who owns the rights via Maxis. I don’t see that one happening barring a change in leadership at EA.

Pacman 2 will sadly never happen, because it has a version of Ms. Pacman on it. Otherwise Namco would have included it in the recent collection.

I really wish Square Enix would just put Terranigma on NSO if they have no plans of ever re-releasing/remaking it 😭

For licensed games, you’re missing Ken Griffey Jr’s Winning Run. Developed by Rare, published by Nintendo.
Whoops! That was meant to be there along with the other Ken Griffey baseball game, Uniracers and NHL Stanley Cup. Adding them in now.

I think for this thought-experiment it's also worth considering which games have already seen a rerelease on Virtual Console in the past, and whether or not they returned across multiple itterations of the service. This can't be taken as definitive proof any given game will come to NSO (for example, I don't think Super Mario RPG is likely to be added anytime soon regardless of being on VC multiple times), but for most it displays a clear desire to see them rereleased. I'll also mostly be ignoring those games that were only licenced by Nintendo outside of Japan; the exception being if they saw release on Virtual Console and retained Nintendo as a publisher in the relevant regions (this really only applies to Vegas Stakes as far as SNES is concerned; games like Pac-Man 2 and many of the Capcom and Square Soft titles were simply self-published by Bandai Namco, Capcom and Square Enix respectively when rereleased via VC).

Under the above stipulations, here's the list:
  • Famicom Bunko: Hajimari no Mori (Wii / Wii U)
  • Famicom Detective Club Part II: The Girl Who Stands Behind (Wii / Wii U / New 3DS)
  • Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Wii / Wii U / New 3DS)
  • Heisei Shin Onigashima: Zenpen / Kohen (Wii / Wii U)
  • Metal Slader Glory: Director's Cut (Wii U)
  • SimCity (Wii)
  • Sutte Hakkun (Wii / Wii U)
  • Super Famicom Wars (Wii / Wii U / New 3DS)
  • Super Mario RPG (Wii / Wii U)
  • Vegas Stakes (Wii / Wii U)
While the NSO dripfeed is truly obnoxious, i'm confident most of these will show up eventually. Exceptions being Super Mario RPG as mentioned prior; and possibly SimCity, as it was delisted from Wii Virtual Console and never returned on Wii U. Possibly a solvable issue with EA, but to me it isn't quite a given.

From what little knowledge we have of past VC plans we can also look at games that were considered for the service in the past; in this case Wii VC, per certain Gigaleak documents. This can't really speak to the plausibility of a rerelease (given the inclusion of Uniracers the majority of these games were likely a best-case scenario wishlist more than anything), but it proves they were at least on the mind at some point in the past:
  • Tetris Attack (the Yoshi version was released in Japan with no Tetris branding via Satellaview; would still not be confident in a rerelease with Panel de Pon already available)
  • Tetris 2
  • Uniracers (as referenced above, the odds of this actually seeing a rerelease are slim to none)
  • Wario's Woods
  • Illusion of Gaia (no longer listed Nintendo as overseas publisher on a later post-launch schedule; Square Enix instead, naturally)
  • Super Play Action Football
  • Picross NP Vol. 1-8 (same later schedule referenced above only included Volume 1-4; that these were so strongly considered at all is notable regardless)
  • Shigesato Itoi's No. 1 Bass Fishing
  • Super Scope 6
  • Battle Clash
  • Yoshi's Safari
  • Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge (the inclusion of this and absence of Tin Star is a possible sign of the extra hurdle the latter would face)
  • Mario Paint
  • Mario & Wario

One more extra tangent I want to go on:

On Virtual Console certain multiplatform titles were only released on one of their available platforms (for example: 3DS VC skipped NES Dr. Mario in favor of GB Dr. Mario), whereas NSO has ignored the overlap (both the NES and GB versions of Dr. Mario are on NSO). Despite never making it onto VC before there shouldn't be anything in the way of the SNES versions of Dr. Mario and Wario's Woods, besides the involved parties remembering they exist. The SNES version of Yoshi's Cookie wasn't published by Nintendo, but if it were rereleased i'm confident it would be. Issue being getting it rereleased in the first place; as it appears to have run into rights issues (which led to the NES version being delisted from Wii VC, and an announced Wii U VC release being cancelled), so i'll continue to assume that one is a no-go.

Last edited:
There's a few things I don't actually necessarily agree with, here's a quick post:

About the third party games:
You may have forgotten that Taito is actually owned by Square Enix and therefore Arkanoid: Doh it Again & Space Invaders might not actually be rereleased on NSO because of it.
Vegas Stakes I actually don't think it is third party, actually? It had a Virtual Console release before, and it was developed by HAL Laboratory, so the rights shouldn't be a mess here. I may see Super Pinball, Soccer Shootout and Kid Klown in Crazy Chase maybe.

About the licensed games:
Metal Slader Glory Director's Cut was actually rereleased on Virtual Console before (even the original Famicom version), it is a game developed by HAL Laboratory, so might not be as much of a mess and I can see it coming.
For the rest, it's not out there to get those, Super Mario RPG aside.

Peripheral games:
We know they at least considered the idea of the SNES Mouse games since they do have the SNES Mouse emulated already, Super Scope support is still not seen however.

Japan only games:
I can somewhat see Sutte Hakkun added worldwide as it is not a game with lots of text unless you check the tutorial, but the tutorial tends to be very visual by itself. But I can see most of these games added eventually even if Japan only.

The case of UNDAKE30: Same Game Daisakusen Mario Version is one that I find very unlikely, because the cartridge version was released as a prize only, and most people experienced it (in a legit way) through the Satellaview broadcast, but UNDAKE30 is first and foremost, not only a Satellaview radio show, but also a series of Satellaview games where one of the others was dumped only relatively recently. For me it's more like the case of Kirby's Toy Box, where you can't really just release one, you have to consider the rest too.

The rest:
I actually think these are not the most unlikely, even for Sim City despite EA, since that game is co-owned by Nintendo and EA.

My additional comment:
As of today, with the current datamining info: Nintendo has at least 181 SNES titles in their NSO database. We're not even at half of these yet. Maybe a lot of those aren't even planned to release, but the leak of NES NSO build seems to suggest that Nintendo is mindful of what they can possibly use and cannot. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot more Capcom and Konami games are in this bunch, we know they considered Legend of the Mystical Ninja and Contra 3: The Alien Wars since the accidental inclusion of SNES NSO info in NES NSO in December 2018.

MondoMega is right on the money to me about the initial VC plans, but I unfortunately don't take that as seriously as the world definitely changed since then.

Thanks for the input @MondoMega and @LuigiBlood . I was hoping you'd both chime in for some input when you saw this! Just to add to adress a couple of the points you both brought up.

- Vegas Stakes is a weird one. Nintendo doesn't own the IP rights. It's in a similar situation to Baten Kaitos Origins. The first Vegas game, Vegas Dreams, didn't have Nintendo's involvement at all but they did come in and help publish the sequel, Vegas Stakes. That's why I included it in the licensed section of my breakdown.

- I did forget that Taito is owned by Square-Enix and looking over the current NSO list I now realise that there isn't a single Taito game on there. So you're right, those probably aren't coming.

-Regarding Tin Star, I think it's just a case of Nintendo not caring. Back in 2016 I actually reached out to and spoke with the character designer and artist for Tin Star, Scott Pleydell-Pearce, to find out what happened to the rights of the game given that Software Creations went defunct in 2004. As he understands it, Nintendo has full rights to the game and IP. It's a similar case as to what happened to Cruis'N. I think Nintendo just doesn't really care about the game or might not even remember they own it.

Back
Top Bottom