• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club Your Gaming Lives Are Getting Older Every Day

Lozjam

Don't Forget Me
Banned
Pronouns
He/Him
We are now at a point where we are farther away from the GameCube, than the GameCube was to the NES.

Remember when it was seen as a pretty cool retro throwback with New Super Mario Bros for the DS in 2006? People said that it was over 1 years since the last (big) Mario game it was an amazing retro throwback. The last time at that point where we had a traditional Mario game, was technically Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. That game release in 1995... 11 years from that point.

Do you know that last time we got our last new 2D platformer from Mario? 2012. Almost 10 years ago now, and assuming Nintendo releases a 2D Mario game next year, it will be enough time to call it a retro throwback to New Super Bros U.

You know that new hit IP Pikmin and Animal Crossing? Everyone always used to bring it up as a "new IP" all the time. Now I don't want to burst your bubble. But Pikmin and Animal Crossing are now older than Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Kid Icarus, Kirby was when they released in 2001-2002. Pikmin even is older now than the original Donkey Kong cabinet was in 2001. The cabinet Donkey Kong was only 20 years old back then. Pikmin for the GameCube is 21 years old.

You all are aging fossils, trapped into the spans of time.

And do you know what I find the most hilarious. The 3DS is over 11 years old now, making it completely a retro console.
And this November. The Wii U will be over 10 years old, leaving it to firmly stand as a retro console. Im not going to lie, I have a lot of nostalgia for the Wii U.

But this is soon where we will all be
Splatoon_Sunken_Scroll_26.png

This thread is posted in consideration of the Famiboards Garbage Galaxy World Tournament. @eli it is your move.

One that always seems wild to me is that going from Final Fantasy to Final Fantasy VII took less than a decade. Compare to the most recent ten years, when the only new numbered release was XV. From conception to final release, the FFVII remake project will surely have taken more than a decade. Everything up to FFXI is now in the chronological first half of the series.

I don’t even think this is garbage, it’s just facts that make me feel old :)

Like, the PS4 is what, 4 months away from being a decade old. That still feels very recent to me, probably down to it still being a very relevant console today in a way the 3DS and WiiU aren’t.

These kind of observations only makes me realize that 10 or 15 years is nothing.. and we haven't seen much progress on the gaming side. PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii games are all "modern" for me.

Thanks for the reminder, I hate it.

These kind of observations only makes me realize that 10 or 15 years is nothing.. and we haven't seen much progress on the gaming side
Most of the innovation in gaming lately is more on the business model side of things. We're still seeing new genres coalesce like Battle Royale but it's definitely slowed from the 80s/90s when there was a lot more experimentation going on.

Really I'd say the biggest thing in the last 10-15 years has been the adoption of digital distribution and the resulting blossoming of the indie scene and certain genres becoming commercial viable again. Mobile gaming taking off in the West (it was already a thing in Asia) is probably the next biggest thing and I'd say is intrinsically linked to digital distribution.

I think the prevalence of ports and remasters, as well as indie games being saturated in the 16-bit aesthetic, keep the older games and pixel art style relevant so they don't feel that old.

What really makes me feel old is when I see a video about a game like Super Mario Galaxy and there are comments like, "this game was my childhood" and "so much nostalgia, I remember getting this game on my 8th birthday." Oof.

I think the prevalence of ports and remasters, as well as indie games being saturated in the 16-bit aesthetic, keep the older games and pixel art style relevant so they don't feel that old.

What really makes me feel old is when I see a video about a game like Super Mario Galaxy and there are comments like, "this game was my childhood" and "so much nostalgia, I remember getting this game on my 8th birthday." Oof.
I wasn't even a teenager when the Wii U released.

Now that really makes me feel old :) When I was 12 I’d only just convinced my parents to splash out on a NES so my brother and I could play games together.
You are practically already dead

;)

The students that I teach, well most of their grandparents grew up in the 80s actually. They think that the 80s is the time of the original Ford and the fact that people used horses.

They have also told me that many of their parents grew up with the Wii and that they think it's lame. Lol

This will always blow my mind, probably because Wind Waker still looks "modern". The magic of cel shading done right, I guess.

What's funny is that in my mind, I can easily believe that games like Mario 64 or Ocarina of Time were 25 years old but it feels crazy that games like Mario Sunshine and Wind Waker are 20 years old. Goes to show how rapidly graphics improved during that small window of time.

If Donkey Kong Country came out ~13 years after the original game and featured a 3rd generation Donkey Kong character, we should now be in an era of games featuring a 7th generation Donkey Kong.

Back
Top Bottom