• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club Your Exclusives Look Strong, Let Me Fight Them.

Okay, so I have no plans to buy a PS5 exactly because I can play the Sony games I'm interested in on Steam, but we also have to realize that us online forumgoers are a relative minority. The market at large cares more about the third party stuff on Playstation. Call of Duty, Fortnite, FIFA, those make the biggest bucks on PS. And objectively the demand for PS5 is red hot (except in South/Southeast Asia).

So sure, the lack of "true" PS5 exclusives loses them points with gamers, but it's not a big deal to a lot of other people. And frankly, as a consumer, I'm not about to criticize Sony for releasing their games on platforms I actually have access to.

You should have left it on Twitter.

If these people are content playing Playstation's new games on PS4, I'm not sure why they're complaining.

Considering a graphics card needed for this probably costs more than a PS5, this doesn't mean much lol

Can you make a $500 PC from scratch today that will easily play PS5-level games six years from now?

People continue to go to great lengths to make a list for the sake of console warz.

CSLhXeCVEAARECk

Can you make a $500 PC from scratch today that will easily play PS5-level games six years from now?

People continue to go to great lengths to make a list for the sake of console warz.

But, likewise, I already own a Series X and can probably expect FFXVI to come to it later? PC gamers who already own a PC could likewise now feel comfortable rejecting any temptation to buy a PS5.

I really don't know what Sony are thinking by essentially ending exclusivity of their games at a time when they need it most.

But, likewise, I already own a Series X and can probably expect FFXVI to come to it later? PC gamers who already own a PC could likewise now feel comfortable rejecting any temptation to buy a PS5.

I really don't know what Sony are thinking by essentially ending exclusivity of their games at a time when they need it most.
The talking points I've seen has to do with sales. Sony is wanting Nintendo-like sales numbers without having to drastically drop the price or do heavy bundling like they did with some of their PS4 titles.

I mean sure but people do have FOMO. People also want to play games as soon as possible.

It's really not going to hurt them releasing their exclusives two years later. And ultimately I think they're thinking about money to which they probably make more of this way.

I really don't know what Sony are thinking by essentially ending exclusivity of their games at a time when they need it most
Because they make more money that way. They're slowly adopting Nintendo's method of not dropping prices on their big games, but there's a long way to go before Sony's IPs reach that level of staying and selling power.

Releasing your games a bit years later on a platform that has a much higher entry price isn't a bad strategy for them. It keeps PS5 sales going strong and it gives older games second life. Indeed, if you have an expensive PC and are willing to wait 2 years to play Ratchet and Clank, then you don't need a PS5, but then again you're not really the target audience for a PS5.

Waiting 2 years to play a video game on a much more expensive platform isn't that good of a deal for many people lol. 2 years is a long ass time. It's pretty sound strategy from Sony imo, ultimately most people buy Playstations to play very popular third party games like CoD, Fortnite and offerings like that anyways, it's not like Sony is struggling to sell their boxes.

Not sure what you mean by "a time when they need it most", I thought PS5 is selling great and PlayStation is an extremely popular and well regarded brand.

I think it's a good thing Sony is making their games accessible to more people. I bought a PS5 because it's my personal next gen choice between it, the Series X, and a PC. Whether the exclusives come to PC later doesn't negatively affect me in any way. I don't game on PC, nor do a substantial portion of the people buying consoles.

Because they make more money that way. They're slowly adopting Nintendo's method of not dropping prices on their big games, but there's a long way to go before Sony's IPs reach that level of staying and selling power.

Nintendo's method also includes absolute exclusivity of their titles.

Not sure what you mean by "a time when they need it most", I thought PS5 is selling great and PlayStation is an extremely popular and well regarded brand.
That's hard to gauge since Sony just fixed the supply issues and it's still being outsold by the Switch.

Nintendo's method also includes absolute exclusivity of their titles
Because again Sony IPs aren't in the megaseller range that Nintendo IPs are. Furthermore, Sony doesn't really have to copy Nintendo's business strategy down to the letter.

That's hard to gauge since Sony just fixed the supply issues and it's still being outsold by the Switch
It's still selling well, irrespective of how it compares to Switch.

it gives older games second life
Exactly, they evidently get a fresh influx of sales from releasing their games on PC.

Exactly, they evidently get a fresh influx of sales from releasing their games on PC.

This is why I think Xbox should -if they're still somewhat in the business of selling boxes- try to keep some games on the Xbox for a bit. It clearly works for Sony, and it could work for them. GamePass alone won't carry them, I'm afraid, and it could give some of their releases room to breathe and a second life -I'm thinking about games like Hi-Fi Rush, or maybe even Forza.

Eh. This seems fine.

I'm going to be there day one on PS5 for stuff like Spider-Man that I care a lot about, but for stuff like this or Horizon that I have a slight interest in, seeing on steam a few years later may get me to pick it up. Especially now that the Steam Deck is a thing.

People get weird about exclusives, but this seems like a win-win.

The PC market is quite separate from consoles. There really isn’t as much overlap as you’d think, even with multiplatform titles.

They just serve very different audiences.

PS5 is still hella affordable compared to a high spec PC and way easier of a sell. I think Sony will be ok.

At least if this PC port performs horribly, instead of an apology statement Sony can put out something that says "we told you this was only possible with the power of the PS5"

Is it being outsold by Switch everywhere, not just Japan? (genuine question, I thought it was leading now in UK and US)
The NPD reported that the Switch was the best selling console for April. Switch will most likely be the best selling for May as well.

The Steam recommended specs say "TBA", but if the prior marketing stands true, shouldn't this be the first(?) PC game to require a PCI-E 4.0 SSD?

Probably not if FFVII Remake is anything to go by. I see Xbox fans still waiting for that one.

I think a lot of Square/Sony exclusivity contracts were signed when these games started development-- back before the PS5 released when Sony had money to throw around and was on top. Wouldn't expect if this current round has anti-Xbox deals, but I would expect games that started development in 2020 or later will come to Xbox.

The NPD reported that the Switch was the best selling console for April. Switch will most likely be the best selling for May as well.
I wonder if this could have something to do with the best game of the generation releasing in May on the Switch.

Back
Top Bottom