• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Yooka-Laylee is Getting a Remaster Before Banjo-Kazooie, called Yooka Re-Playlee

no company would ever do something insane like this, imagine selling something as a remake when in the end is a reboot
Square Enix:

dd0.jpg

Even when the first time I played Yooka Laylee I wasn't that impressed... dissapointed even, I still played it through to the the end and after letting my initial dissapointment wane. When I let go of the Banjo-Kazooie comparisons the game held up really well for a platformer with a few issues here and there that they will probably not have fixed for the remake.

I even somehow feel something of nostalgia for it. I will gladly replay the game and wonder how the next game will be. There must be a reason why they chose to remake it this fast, there will probably be some kind of secret gimmick hidden. Like a reveal for the second game. (remember inept?)

Even when the first time I played Yooka Laylee I wasn't that impressed... dissapointed even, I still played it through to the the end and after letting my initial dissapointment wane. When I let go of the Banjo-Kazooie comparisons the game held up really well for a platformer with a few issues here and there that they will probably not have fixed for the remake.

I even somehow feel something of nostalgia for it. I will gladly replay the game and wonder how the next game will be. There must be a reason why they chose to remake it this fast, there will probably be some kind of secret gimmick hidden. Like a reveal for the second game. (remember inept?)

I can't help but wonder how things are going with Playtonic, I'd have expected a sequel by now instead of a remake of a pretty recent game.

I can't help but wonder how things are going with Playtonic, I'd have expected a sequel by now instead of a remake of a pretty recent game.

I think it's all fine there. They even took inspiration for the de-facto "next-gen" market leader Sony!

;]

My initial reaction was "eh, it's in my backlog for a reason" but as soon as I read "in-game map" I'm probably buying it again even if this doesn't come to Switch 2.

Because that reason isn't that it's bad, it's that I got too lost to function! I'll probably end up clearing it off my backlog just so I can feel good about getting the remaster, which will then stay on my backlog for like 3 years until the next sequel

I think they only get away with the absurd name because of how absurd it is to re-release a game so soon after release. It feeds back into itself and becomes hilarious

Last edited:
Yooka Layee has more in common with Tooie than Kazooie.

Worlds thay are way too big and seriously needed a trim or the least a map.

i'm curious if they're going to do a twist where the game starts like a straightforward remake, but is revealed to be drastically different early on. like Rare's original pitch for an Xbox Banjo game.

The fake remake thing was a lot more interesting in the 2000s before every major entertainment company did it

They've developed two games as a studio and are already remastering the first one. Wow.

That one would be a big no-no.
It's not for nothing that Rare themselves have been like "we were never actually going to call any sequel Banjo-Threeie, you can only get away with that joke once!" Hopefully they've taken that on board and will have an unironically good title after Replaylee.

It's not for nothing that Rare themselves have been like "we were never actually going to call any sequel Banjo-Threeie, you can only get away with that joke once!" Hopefully they've taken that on board and will have an unironically good title after Replaylee.
Really? I honestly think it would look stupid if after Tooie they announced a Kazooie 3. It's not a joke, it's just a naming convention.
Some people count 1, 2, 3, 4..
Others count blank, 360, One, Series..
And others blank, super, 64, gc...
But you have to follow the pattern.

BTW OP, Banjo-Kazooie already got a remaster, it was in the XBLA, then in Rare Replay and has been uprezzed to 4K60 FPS, widescreen and no asset popin.

BTW OP, Banjo-Kazooie already got a remaster, it was in the XBLA, then in Rare Replay and has been uprezzed to 4K60 FPS, widescreen and no asset popin.

In hindsight that was really way too damn future proof for its own good lol.

TBH the one big boon of doing another HD Banjo remaster is the fact that it could actually have a proper multiplatform release on PC and perhaps even Switch and PS per Project Latitude, as opposed to forever being trapped on Xbox considering they've just been emulating the 360 version on Rare Replay. At least Switch users can play the OG version on NSO but it still sucks that PC (I guess there's the fan made de-compilation in the works, but even that's taking forever) and PS players are barred off from it.

TBH the one big boon of doing another HD Banjo remaster is the fact that it could actually have a proper multiplatform release on PC and perhaps even Switch and PS per Project Latitude, as opposed to forever being trapped on Xbox considering they've just been emulating the 360 version on Rare Replay.
Yeah, I wish Rare Replay could, in parts, be ported to Switch. I love Jet Force Gemini but it is still pretty hard to play the NSO version instead of the RR version with the new controls they patched soon after release.

....Wrap pads weren't in this game?!?!?

I remember even less from this than I thought D:
I can tell you warp pads weren't in this because I was regularly using the exit level option from the menu as a shortcut back to the entrance. Except while trying to find the last snowman in the ice world, I discovered that exiting the world completely resets all of your progress on that ten part objective. That was a moment.

It's kind of weird to remake a game that isn't even a decade old, but Yooka-Laylee desperately needs some extra polish and QoL updates. Donkey Kong 64, deservingly, gets flack for being tedious, but at least that game had fast travel.

I mean if they fixed what made the original mediocre for some and it's actually good that would inspire more confidence in their future projects. I know people liked Impossible Lair.

It’s a remake.

According to this summary, they stated in an interview that this is in fact a remake with 10 years of experience. With a team 4X the size.

This is all super promising and exactly what I was hoping for. Improving the controls and camera, adding a drop shadow, changing the levels around, all this sounds like we're going to get what I was hoping the original Y-L would be. So good to hear they are taking design cues from Impossible Lair.

IL was announced in June and released in October, and the interview notes specifically say they're holding off on announcing new projects because they're not ready yet and they "don't want to announce games until they're ready to be delivered." I was so elated when IL was announced and then I could play it just four months later. So that gives me hope we'll get a new game reveal from PlayTonic in the next year or less.

This is all super promising and exactly what I was hoping for. Improving the controls and camera, adding a drop shadow, changing the levels around, all this sounds like we're going to get what I was hoping the original Y-L would be. So good to hear they are taking design cues from Impossible Lair.

IL was announced in June and released in October, and the interview notes specifically say they're holding off on announcing new projects because they're not ready yet and they "don't want to announce games until they're ready to be delivered." I was so elated when IL was announced and then I could play it just four months later. So that gives me hope we'll get a new game reveal from PlayTonic in the next year or less.
This is actually one thing that the original already had, and did pretty well! I think it might have even been the first modern platformer to do the "drop shadow on top of realistic shadow" thing.

This is actually one thing that the original already had, and did pretty well! I think it might have even been the first modern platformer to do the "drop shadow on top of realistic shadow" thing.
Oh neat! I forgot that from the little I played of it. I wonder why they called that out as a new feature. Maybe it's a better version. This is the year of surprising and hopefully high quality 3D platformer remakes.

(I might have to remove the '3D' from that sentence if we get DKCR.)

Oh neat! I forgot that from the little I played of it. I wonder why they called that out as a new feature. Maybe it's a better version. This is the year of surprising and hopefully high quality 3D platformer remakes.

(I might have to remove the '3D' from that sentence if we get DKCR.)
If they include World 9 from DKCR3D then it'd still be a "3D" platformer remake :)

If they include World 9 from DKCR3D then it'd still be a "3D" platformer remake :)
That's brilliant. XD

Back on topic, having now properly watched the trailer, I feel like there's a good chance PlayTonic's next major game will not be YL2 but something else entirely. The remake just looks so... like something impressive they'll want to give attention to for a good long while. Hard to put it into words I guess but it was a lot more modern and impressive looking than I anticipated.

Makes sense. If you're going to overhaul a game to this extent, you have to relaunch it. Otherwise, you're not going to get enough sales to justify how much money it took to fix the game.

TBH the one big boon of doing another HD Banjo remaster is the fact that it could actually have a proper multiplatform release on PC and perhaps even Switch and PS per Project Latitude, as opposed to forever being trapped on Xbox considering they've just been emulating the 360 version on Rare Replay. At least Switch users can play the OG version on NSO but it still sucks that PC (I guess there's the fan made de-compilation in the works, but even that's taking forever) and PS players are barred off from it.
I played both Banjo XBLA games on PC via gamepass cloud, and it is fine at least.

I really wanted to love Yooka-Laylee (and do legitimately think Impossible Lair is an underrated classic), but yeah the final product was barely above DK64-levels of fun and that's really not something to brag about. Really hope the remake re-hauls a lot of things because it just did NOT come together for a great final product.

Back
Top Bottom