• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Live Show Yacht Club Games - YCG Presents airs on 6.14 @ 11:30 AM PT/ 2:30 PM EST.

Yacht club announcing a remaster of a 10 year old game, showing a Mina trailer with no release date, and a sequel with no gameplay? Indie games are going to save this industry šŸ™

I'm sorry to the rest of the thread who felt that this could have been an e-mail but I will forever cherish Alec Faulkner hamming it up for Mina because I would have done the same.

I remain unconvinced that Yacht Club Games can make anything other than Shovel Knight...

I mean Mina looks nice, but this is a Game Boy style game that's obviously still not coming out any time soon.
They do rely on shovel knight maybe too much, but I think itā€™s unfair to say Mina is just a game boy style game considering shovel knight was just an ā€œNESā€ style game. YC packs these things with content and refines them very well.

I think a lot of people underestimate the amount of work that goes into doing pixel art games. They think because the graphics are simpler, that they should take less time than making 3D games. However, there's a reason why a lot of game franchises moved to using 3D polygons. It many cases, it's easier to build and work with polygonal models. There's also a lot fewer people with experience making pixel games. It's one thing to be making games in the 80s and 90s when that was the only option, so everyone had to learn it but nowadays, people learn using games engines like Unreal. It's a different skillset. You probably won't see a lot of pixel art games coming out from Nintendo because anyone that had experience with that has either moved up in management, retired, or hasn't worked on making pixel games in decades.

I remain unconvinced that Yacht Club Games can make anything other than Shovel Knight...

I mean Mina looks nice, but this is a Game Boy style game that's obviously still not coming out any time soon.
They literally said ā€˜coming soonā€™.

Mina looks great. Itā€™ll be released in a fairly polished state at least, which will be nice compared to a few of the games Iā€™ve played recently.

I think a lot of people underestimate the amount of work that goes into doing pixel art games. They think because the graphics are simpler, that they should take less time than making 3D games. However, there's a reason why a lot of game franchises moved to using 3D polygons. It many cases, it's easier to build and work with polygonal models. There's also a lot fewer people with experience making pixel games. It's one thing to be making games in the 80s and 90s when that was the only option, so everyone had to learn it but nowadays, people learn using games engines like Unreal. It's a different skillset. You probably won't see a lot of pixel art games coming out from Nintendo because anyone that had experience with that has either moved up in management, retired, or hasn't worked on making pixel games in decades.
Same reason we aren't getting something like King of Fighters XIII ever again probably šŸ˜­

Well that and the sales potential blabla

Shovel Knight is made in 3D though just flat pixel assets but they're on a 3D plane so it's easier for them to change things compared to as you said the difficulty of 2D game development. Also for steroscopic 3D like in the DX version or 3DS version.

I'd assume Mina is similarily developed that way too.

Iā€™m pleased Mina is getting closer, itā€™s one of my most anticipated games at the moment.

However, outside of that I was a bit disappointed with this show. Half of it was Yacht Club blowing their own trumpet about random merchandise and old games. I canā€™t say a vague hint at 3D Shovel Knight interests me too much. And while I love the Shovel Knight campaigns, and particularly the original SK/shovel of hope, I donā€™t really think DX was necessary when Treasure Trove already feels definitive.

This presentation felt to me a little too much like "Marketing wants to show you their roadmap for how they'll increase revenue and brand engagement in the upcoming fiscal year". I also felt the direction given to the presenters resulted in some odd delivery, but I get that many of these people probably aren't trained for presentations like this.

The game-related news wasn't very impactful to me, but I'm sure everything will be solid given YCG's history.

This presentation felt to me a little too much like "Marketing wants to show you their roadmap for how they'll increase revenue and brand engagement in the upcoming fiscal year". I also felt the direction given to the presenters resulted in some odd delivery, but I get that many of these people probably aren't trained for presentations like this.

The game-related news wasn't very impactful to me, but I'm sure everything will be solid given YCG's history.
Yeah thatā€™s pretty much where I am. I love YCā€™s games but I really donā€™t care what the marketing director has to say about whatever overpriced licensed merch they are flogging. Leave that to Limited Run.

I just want Mina the Hollower at this point, otherwise Yacht Club can get back to me when thereā€™s gameplay footage of the next actual Shovel Knight game rather than continuing to trade on the 10-year-old one.

Back
Top Bottom