• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Xbox controller causes thumb pain.

Armoured_Bear

Like Like
Pronouns
he
I game using all 3 controllers, buy games on Switch and PS5, my Series X is a Gamepass box.
However, I have an issue with the controller on certain games, basically action games that require lots of "button mashing", the Xbox face buttons hurt my thumb, not cramp or anything mechanical, not "gamer's thumb", just the skin basically irritated with the friction of rough surface.
The thumb sticks have the same issue, they're rougher than the other controllers so irritate with intense use.
I don't have the same issue on Switch Pro nor DualSense controllers.
I started Lies of P on Series X, like the game but feel the thumb irritation, I was considering just buying it on PS5 instead.

I actually asked my non-gaming partner to touch the sticks and buttons on all 3 controllers and she noticed the "roughness" of the Xbox so doesn't seem to be my imagination :)

So, am I alone with my pathetic hands?
I've looked at thumbstick grips but they seem aimed at more grip, no idea if they'd improve my issue, any advice would be gratefully received.

I would recommend you buy a third party licensed controller and see how you feel with that. It is worth checking out instead of rebuying a game on another platform which would cost more usually.

I find the ds4 and the current cbox controller bad for my arf-ritis but switch lite is less bad. The xbox controller just sucks though, maybe get a compatible 8bitdo controller

I would recommend you buy a third party licensed controller and see how you feel with that. It is worth checking out instead of rebuying a game on another platform which would cost more usually.
Thanks, I've only even used first party controllers tbh.
Are they as goo interns of triggers, vibration etc.?

i dont think I ran into an issue with the face buttons but definitely the control stick. It is awful if you have to press down on it a lot or use it for quick movements. It's not enjoyable. It's just too ribbed and rough. Compared to like the switch pro which isn't as ribbed and feels rubbery. I also think the control stick on the xbox is ever so slight smaller which can impact the feeling on the thumb.

That’s surprising! It’s easily the most comfortable traditional controller I own. Maybe try an 8bitdo?

Sounds like you’re also having an issue of gripping it too tightly. Maybe take some putty and put it on the sides of the controller so you’re physically incapable of having the same level of vice-like grip.

That’s surprising! It’s easily the most comfortable traditional controller I own. Maybe try an 8bitdo?

Sounds like you’re also having an issue of gripping it too tightly. Maybe take some putty and put it on the sides of the controller so you’re physically incapable of having the same level of vice-like grip.
this is also an issue for the xbox more so than the pro controller, imo. I think it's cause the handles are a bit wide and angle in towards the middle harsher. As someone with hand and wrist issues I tend to look into this stuff a lot.

I don't think I'm gripping too tightly tbh, really feels like my skin is a bit sensitive to the relative roughness of the stick edges and buttons compared to the other controllers.

Back
Top Bottom