• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club Would you pay extra to order a pair of Joy-Cons + Straps in the colours of your choice?

Would you order a pair of Joy-Cons + Straps in the colours of your choosing at a 20% markup?

• Absolutely!

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • Maybe

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Nah, no interest

Votes: 10 27.0%

• Total voters

Derachi

Fresh Eater
Founder
Pronouns
he/him
If you don’t already know, Nintendo’s Japanese website allows you to order a Switch console with Joy-Cons and straps in the colours of your choice. Buyers are also not limited to the colour/controller combos that exist in currently available configurations; for example, while you can buy a pair of Joy-Cons in Purple/Orange, with Purple being the left Joy-Con and Orange being the RIght Joy-Con, you could order a Switch with both sides in Orange if you choose. You can also choose which colour straps you get:

Here are all the options:

IMG-0724.jpg

This is great, as it allows the buyer to choose exactly the colour combo they want to express themselves.

Unfortunately this opportunity is painfully Japan-only.

I know the logistics of packaging and shipping customized consoles is probably complicated, but perhaps it’d be easier if it were just the Joy-Cons? Let’s say, to help manage the logistics of packaging each combo to-order, the controllers cost an extra 20% on top of the Joy-Con price, plus shipping. So here in Canada, where Joy-Cons are $99.99, a customized pair would be $119.99.

Let’s also, to keep this topic away from the usual durability complaints, assume that durability is no longer a problem. In this hypothetical scenario drift is solved, don’t bring it up. Also let’s assume they’re compatible with the next console.

Is this something you’d consider doing? To be honest, I’d adore the ability to do this. I love that the Joy-Cons come in so many fun colours but I find myself frustrated that I’m limited to certain colour-combos, and that almost all colours are limited to one side or the other. I’d love to be able to order exactly the combos I want.

If you don’t already know, Nintendo’s Japanese website allows you to order a Switch console with Joy-Cons and straps in the colours of your choice. Buyers are also not limited to the colour/controller combos that exist in currently available configurations; for example, while you can buy a pair of Joy-Cons in Purple/Orange, with Purple being the left Joy-Con and Orange being the RIght Joy-Con, you could order a Switch with both sides in Orange if you choose. You can also choose which colour straps you get:

IMG-0724.jpg

This is great, as it allows the buyer to choose exactly the colour combo they want to express themselves.

I know the logistics of packaging and shipping customized consoles is probably complicated, but perhaps it’d be easier if it were just the Joy-Cons? Let’s say, to help manage the logistics of packaging each combo to-order, the controllers cost an extra 20% on top of the Joy-Con price, plus shipping. So here in Canada, where Joy-Cons are $99.99, a customized pair would be $119.99.

Let’s also, to keep this topic away from the usual durability complaints, assume that durability is no longer a problem. In this hypothetical scenario drift is solved, don’t bring it up. Also let’s assume they’re compatible with the next console.

Is this something you’d consider doing? To be honest, I’d adore the ability to do this. I love that the Joy-Cons come in so many fun colours but I find myself frustrated that I’m limited to certain colour-combos, and that almost all colours are limited to one side or the other. I’d love to be able to order exactly the combos I want.
I‘d pay extra, if they didn‘t drift.

Custom colors are a good Idea, but if they did it they couldn‘t sell „special edition“ joy cons like the „peach“ ones this week.

Last edited:
I think technically I already did; the Mario Odyssey joy cons were the shade of red I love and I couldn't get them in Canada at first, so I had to import them via PlayAsia, so I pretty much paid that exact same mark up.

Now...in hindsight? A little silly, and the other colours I wanted eventually all came out in their own weird little bundles so it all worked out, but if I could specifically get the game themed joycons usually reserved for console bundles when I already have a console? Yeah, I'd pay the mark up to have them shipped directly to me.

At this point, probably not just because I don't really need any more joycons. I've got the two that came with my Switch, two I bought while the launch ones were getting repaired, and then the 2 that came with my OLED, so I'm good on joycons

But in the abstract, in a hypothetical where I was looking to buy new joycons, I probably would be willing to splurge a bit more if I got to customize the colors

I never really liked Xbox pads, but I've always been impressed with how many options they offer for the design studio. I'd love to see Nintendo do something like that for their next gen Joycons and Pro Controllers. I need a neon green Pro Controller with Super Famicom button colors damn it. 😳

I never really liked Xbox pads, but I've always been impressed with how many options they offer for the design studio. I'd love to see Nintendo do something like that for their next gen Joycons and Pro Controllers. I need a neon green Pro Controller with Super Famicom button colors damn it. 😳
I agree with this; for the amount of flexibility in joycons, if there were a custom design labs equivalent for joycons I'd be willing to pay more for what I'd specifically want

I think it's real dumb how on the US site I can mix and match joycons on some fake ass Switch on the site to see how they look, but I can't order that exact pairing from their website.

If I didn't just get a new set, I would do the pink and green pastel shades.

Maybe at the original release time I would've, or in that first year, but not now. I've got 4 pairs. One of them is my original gray pair from launch, and I've re-shelled them and replaced so many parts on them that they're basically completely custom anyway

I'd pay a lot of money to get a new set of grey joycons. I really don't get why they stopped selling those.

“Would you pay extra…”

Personally, that’s typically only yes if the next words are “for chocolate” or “for melted cheese”. I’m cheap as hell in most instances unless it’s food related.

That said, no, most likely not. I’ve purchased special edition Pro Controllers so they’re easier to identify. However, I only have one pair of Joy-Cons that I only use for Ring Fit Adventure.

I'd pay extra if I could be more granular with the designs - stick and button colors, back of the joy-con, transparent shells.

For the degree of customization as the Japanese site, I'd pay 80 USD + shipping for a pair.

YES! Seriously, why the hell can't I get all the colour options for either joy-con? I want a complete neon green set! :(

I don't care anymore, I have the tears limited joy cons and a pair of neon yellow. I'm set.
Would be a nice option though.

My main problem with new Joy-Con has been quality control; something not working fresh out of the box, but I'm going to assume you mean to include problems like case misalignment, missing screws and poor signal when you say "durability".

If these options existed in a hypothetical Joy-Con guaranteed to have no problems day one and not develop drifting, even if the standard ones were also updated to New Nintendium, absolutely, I would. Although I already have half of the pair I want (Left Blue, Right Grey), I think having the option of ANYTHING would push me into a blue yellow combo with complementary straps.

IMG-0724.jpg

I was about to make a thread with a similar premise, would it be okay to ask the question here?

I'd be down for this if it operated like Xbox does with their controllers: either pick from production Joy-Cons or customize your own with different colors and materials for the buttons and the sticks. As long as they fix drift, anyway.

I was curious if people still found the transparent console variant attractive or if it is just a thing of the past.

The see through variants of the 90’s and early 2000’s will always hold a special place in my heart, but I don’t know if it’s because I was a kid when that was a thing or if kids and young adults would still find the style attractive enough in today’s culture.

To answer Derachi’s question: Yes, if I could order an Atomic Purple or DK Jungle Green set of joy-con or both the system and joy-con officially from Nintendo I would do it in a heartbeat!

There's just something about them that just brings me so much joy, I don't know why Nintendo stopped doing these types of variants, maybe it was just a change in style as the 2000's went on or it was cheaper to do the more solid colors.

Edit:

1554223959_list-of-every-n64-console-variationpng.webp

The Dreamcast also had some great variants as well!
62af98537c84fd95255746a907eeb230.jpg

Of course, who could forget about the handhelds:
9b192e6b-fe9c-4256-9b7f-7936e27365c9.jpg

059f1fe9-c3eb-48ca-bb2e-b348f70b2852.77a8aa5af7d0ba33e62fe9489e21151d.jpeg

3c06ab83-0004-4099-a685-81707123d685.b4bbbad83833c9304f51fdb2b02c8baf.jpeg

Bandai-WonderSwan-Color-Handheld-Front-Main.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom