• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club Would you be interested in a Famiboards Discord server that is open to all forum members?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2484
  • Start date

Would you be interested in a Famiboards Discord server that is open to all forum members?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2484

Somewhere where everyone in the community can hang out in real time. An automatic extension of Famiboards that isn't entirely governed by an insular cabal of

deep breath
'prominent members'*

and caters to everyone here, regardless of whether they're a familiar face in a long standing clique with deep roots stretching back to the old place, or first time forum users looking for a welcoming community.

I don't think this is something I could pull off personally (I'm sure I wouldn't be the right person to do it) but cliques gross me out, and I wanted to gauge interest. Please don't ban me, etc. (creating this thread has brought me to unexpected levels of anxiety oh fu-

*said cabal and members therein are purely hypothetical and used for illustrative purposes only. Any similarity to actual persons, living or dead, or actual servers, is purely coincidental

did you get banned from the discord that already exist to make such a thread or what
Nope, I've never been on it. It's more the principle than anything. As a relatively new member, the community looks incredibly lopsided. For want of a better word.

but a lot of regulars are already on there so it is kinda weird
'a lot of' isn't 'all'

Maybe I'm way off the mark. I dont think I am, but I've been wrong before. But please don't ascribe any motive to what I'm saying other than the one I've given. It's rude and unnecessary.

As a relatively new member, the community looks incredibly lopsided. For want of a better word.
In what way? I barely posted on the Nintendo threads on Era, barely participated in the "pipeline" Discord, and yet I was still able to get in on the planning of this forum and was a moderator for the first 3ish months these forums existed.
The thing about small communities like this (and make no mistake, this is a small community), is it's incredibly easy to force your way into the quote unquote clique. All you have to do is post, create the occasional thread, etc.

Nope, I've never been on it. It's more the principle than anything. As a relatively new member, the community looks incredibly lopsided. For want of a better word.
hi i'm one of the mods for that discord (~: while we do have a strongly-knit community, we go to great lengths to promote a friendly, welcoming environment open to all. literally all you need to do to be in that community is, well, take part in the conversation. i joined the discord 5 months into quarantine. one of those first-time users looking for a welcoming community... and no one welcomed me because they were all busy arguing about gamecube zelda. so i just... started talking about gamecube zelda too. old or new, any face is welcome to the pipeline.

while i can't speak for famiboards, i'm sorry to hear that you feel this way about the discord community. i hope you reconsider. i'm always happy to see new folks participating in the chat. give me a shoutout if you join.

'a lot of' isn't 'all'

Maybe I'm way off the mark. I dont think I am, but I've been wrong before. But please don't ascribe any motive to what I'm saying other than the one I've given. It's rude and unnecessary.
I think what Kano meant is that the current Discord server is public and open to all, and this forum kind of spun off from there to begin with. I assumed almost everyone who has an account here, but isn't in the Discord server, just hasn't clicked the join server button yet.

i don't like the idea tbh. i think it would eventually lead to the forum being slower, which is not a good thing for a rather smaller forum like ours.

Somewhere where everyone in the community can hang out in real time. An automatic extension of Famiboards that isn't entirely governed by an insular cabal of

deep breath
'prominent members'*

this is a beyond bizarre complaint to me. social spaces are, by default, going to have folks that post in them more often than others and, yes, the frequent posters are likely to become friends with each other because spending a lot of time talking with each other leads to that naturally.

the existing discord has plenty of people that dont post every single day that get along with the more frequent users just fine. some that even pop in once every couple months to ask about some obscure rpg or visual novel to see if anyone has any takes on it

what youre asking for is a social space where the regular users dont become friends which seems counter productive to a social space's purpose to me

anywho come hang out, we're just a bunch of weirdo nintendo nerds like the everyone else here

this is a beyond bizarre complaint to me. social spaces sre, by default, going to have folks that post in them more often than others and, yes, the frequent posters are likely to become friends with each other because spending a lot of time talking with each other leads to that naturally.

the existing discord has plenty ot people that dont post every single day that get along with the more frequent users just fine. some that even pop in omce every couple months to ask about some obscure rpg or visual novel to see if anyone has any takes on it

what youre asking for is a social space ehere the regular users dont become friends which seems counter productive to a social space's purpose to me

anywho come hang out, we're just a bunch of weirdo nintendo nerds like the everyone else here

Well, see, I've been under the impression that the rest of us weren't allowed to join. If that's not the case and wires have been crossed somewhere along the line, then I apologise profusely. My bad.

I believed that the community had no interest in inviting the rest of the board to join in. I didn't know there was a 'join server' button, though I did ask a whie back on here. And on Guilded.

Perhaps I overreacted. I thought people were being intentionally excluded. My bad!

The server has never been private

You can probably find the link inside the Direct thread OP somewhere

Or here

Well, see, I've been under the impression that the rest of us weren't allowed to join. If that's not the case and wires have been crossed somewhere along the line, then I apologise profusely. My bad.

I believed that the community had no interest in inviting the rest of the board to join in.

no need to apologize, but i am honestly not sure why you have that impression lol

I think a mod can close this thread if they like.

Maebe, take your meds.

I apologize, I saw your post on Guilded but didn’t know you didn’t have the discord link. I do hope you stop by and say hello! Like others said, we are very welcoming, though it can be overwhelming at certain points of day. Generally other channels besides the main video game chat are a bit slower paced.

In general we are just a bunch of people who share a love of video games and chatting.

I've always preferred forums over discord servers so not really. I'm not a fan of the more real time stuff of discord when it comes to discussions and whatnot. Though if I'm being honest I thought the discord was open to all forum members, I've not tried to get in myself but I assumed it'd just be a case of ask and you're given the link or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom