• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Would you be down for Dragon Quest Pixel Remasters?

GPKs3

Koopa
For me, some of the most memorable games on the NES was Dragon Warrior 1 through 4. I never got to experience 5 & 6 for SFC/SNES since they never made it outside of Japan. We had various versions on GB/GBC, Japan got a small collection for the Wii which featured DQ1,2,3(FC & SFC versions) and, of course, we also have the mobile versions of 1 through 6. Sure there are others I missed. If it was up to me, we would have a collection of the 4 NES/FC games and the 2 SNES/SFC in their original/unaltered forms. Unfortunately, I don’t think we’ll ever see that.

However, I think Pixel Remasters of these 6 games, like Final Fantasy, would work pretty well. Similar graphical enhancements that don’t deviate too far from the original look, options to play the original music or new arrangements and Boosts for those that don’t feel like grinding and just want to experience the game without having to dedicate long hours. I love the FFPRs and think DQ would be a perfect fit.

I wonder if this is something S-E has pondered at some point or might be considering. I don’t know if the series has the same strength and presence as FF on a global scale, but I know it's huge in Japan. Has there been any talk or rumors about this since the release of the FFPRs? What do you think the chances are? If it were to happen, I would snatch it up in a heartbeat.

In my veins NOW!!!

Edit- Also would you consider the Super Famicom ports of DQ 1-3 Pixel Remasters?

I could take it or leave it, especially with DQ3HD on the way. For example, it's not like Dragon Quest 1 hasn't had quite good remakes on the SNES and GBC.

The main reason I'd entertain more remakes/remasters is that hopefully Square Enix would tap a worthy successor to elevate Sugiyama's in-game score to the orchestral heights the old fart would oftendeny us while he was still here.

It'll probably look a damn sight better than the current offerings of Dragon Quest 1-3 currently on Switch for starters so I'd be down for it just for that.

Would also be ironic if such a collection got an easier to buy physical release than FF did.

I‘d rather them do HD2D versions of 3-6. DQ 1 and 2 have those mobile ports that aren’t great but get the job done well enough.

In my veins NOW!!!

Edit- Also would you consider the Super Famicom ports of DQ 1-3 Pixel Remasters?
Maybe for their time. I never played them, but glancing at screenshots I think modern PRs could look a little more detailed and polished, along with the music(original/arranged) and boost options.

I've only beaten 1-3 and played some of the chapters of 4, so I'd certainly be happy with a chance to play the other games on modern hardware.

DQ games already have several remakes, 1-5 have each at least three different versions with completely different graphics, so I don't see what would be the point of pixel remasters for those.

That said, I don't quite see the point of the FF pixel remasters either so...

DQ games already have several remakes, 1-5 have each at least three different versions with completely different graphics, so I don't see what would be the point of pixel remasters for those.

That said, I don't quite see the point of the FF pixel remasters either so...
Mostly to introduce them in a collection on modern hardware for people who never got to play them.

I think it'd make sense as a way to get those games back out there and on modern platforms. Maybe not 3 though, since they're already doing a full-blown HD2D remake (side note, what the heck happened to that? Feels like years since there's been any kind of update and like 3 other HD2D games have come out since it was announced).

TBH it's a bit weird to me how Square has ported or lightly remastered so many FF games in the Switch era but has kinda been dragging their feet when it comes to anything past the first three DQ games.

Might as well go full HD2D at this point. DQI and DQII share so many assets with DQIII that they might as well give them the full treatment. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if they do that anyway and bundle all three together.

And by that point, going back to a basic approach for IV, V, and VI would be disappointing.

I don't think this quite works the same because unlike Final Fantasy the updated rereleases of Dragon Quest games tend to actually stick. And also the original versions of the first five Dragon Quest games are mostly pretty rough graphically and very primitive gameplay-wise compared to their more recent versions. I'm not sure anyone actually wants to go back. Even Dragon Warrior on NES received significant upgrades from Dragon Quest on Famicom if I'm remembering correctly.

We got them on Switch. Not a fan of DQ3 but DQ1 and 2 on switch are definitive versions of those games and two of the best jrpg of all time.

A not-serious no for me.

I have the entire series and have played none of them. I don’t know where to start. I literally bought Dragon Warrior III on GBC earlier this year because I either forgot or didn’t even hear about the HD-2D remake of Dragon Quest III. I’m overwhelmed with options as is. I’m just being selfish and petty when I say no.

The Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters are hot garbage, so I'm hoping no other series gets such a lazy and out of touch treatment ever again.
Thankfully, DQ is in the hands of far better producers that actually understand the franchise.

HD2D is good but I absolutely adore the DS releases except 9 of course. If they can remake 9, that would be great too.

As someone who just went through 1-4, yes. Those games straight-up need them. Frankly, most old RPGs do.

They have the charm, but even the GBC remakes can be annoying, mainly due to speed of battle and zoomed-in screen which makes it hard to know where you are.

I still have no idea why they kept the absolutely insane control scheme through all 4 NES games. You have to hold down the button for like 0.3 of a second before your character starts to walk and the command menus achieve nothing. If you were able to, say, steal something from NPCs I could understand the need in "Talk" and "Search", but Door, Talk, Search commands are never in each others way, yet even when Famicom was close to the end of its life cycle, they kept both commands and weird laggy movement!

Inventory is its own thing with Key Items being put into regular inventory slots, and even when you can store them it doesn't really help that much, as, like, 5 of your... 8-9? slots is all equipment. Honestly, they could've just made it so you could only carry one herb on each character if they were so afraid of you overhealing.

I've enjoyed my time with them because I like jank, but I definitely wish those games were more friendly to the players.

They should just put the Gameboy Color versions of 1-3 on Switch Online and port the mobile versions of 4-6.

Hm, since we already have the DQ Collection on Switch plus the upcoming 2DHD, I would expect more than just a pixel-remaster tbh.

We got them on Switch. Not a fan of DQ3 but DQ1 and 2 on switch are definitive versions of those games and two of the best jrpg of all time.
Brock, we all know you like to play the contrary character, but surely even you don't want to be known as the person who thinks this horrible clash of sprites styles looks good:

NSwitchDS_DragonQuest_03.jpg

As someone who just went through 1-4, yes. Those games straight-up need them. Frankly, most old RPGs do.

They have the charm, but even the GBC remakes can be annoying, mainly due to speed of battle and zoomed-in screen which makes it hard to know where you are.

I still have no idea why they kept the absolutely insane control scheme through all 4 NES games. You have to hold down the button for like 0.3 of a second before your character starts to walk and the command menus achieve nothing. If you were able to, say, steal something from NPCs I could understand the need in "Talk" and "Search", but Door, Talk, Search commands are never in each others way, yet even when Famicom was close to the end of its life cycle, they kept both commands and weird laggy movement!

Inventory is its own thing with Key Items being put into regular inventory slots, and even when you can store them it doesn't really help that much, as, like, 5 of your... 8-9? slots is all equipment. Honestly, they could've just made it so you could only carry one herb on each character if they were so afraid of you overhealing.

I've enjoyed my time with them because I like jank, but I definitely wish those games were more friendly to the players.
I would recommend you try the Switch or mobile version of you haven't already. Lots of QoL improvements over the GBC versions which I don't think are very good.

Brock, we all know you like to play the contrary character, but surely even you don't want to be known as the person who thinks this horrible clash of sprites styles looks good:

NSwitchDS_DragonQuest_03.jpg
Styles can clash as they want, I enjoyed these re-releases. I wouldn't consider going back to pixelated character as an improvement.

Bigger crime was the lack of CRT or other smoother filters. I have an eye condition, big pixels give me massive headaches. That's how I beat 1&2 on Switch. Wity my head in pain.

The Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters are hot garbage, so I'm hoping no other series gets such a lazy and out of touch treatment ever again.
Thankfully, DQ is in the hands of far better producers that actually understand the franchise.
Just curious, but what did you not like about the PRs? Were you wanting a larger leap in graphics/visuals? I know the PRs, difficulty-wise, were toned down compared to the originals and this tends to be a common complaint among many as well.

I would recommend you try the Switch or mobile version of you haven't already. Lots of QoL improvements over the GBC versions which I don't think are very good.
That's actually interesting! I don't think I noticed that something on Switch was changed. Figured they were just porting the same games. Well, too late...

I'd happily take a version of DQ1-6/7 that don't look like those groady mobile ports of DQ1-3 that are currently on the eshop.

That's actually interesting! I don't think I noticed that something on Switch was changed. Figured they were just porting the same games. Well, too late...
They aren't as dramatic as you might want to see, but they are there. Dq2 mobile/switch is notably easier because of some of them.

They aren't as dramatic as you might want to see, but they are there. Dq2 mobile/switch is notably easier because of some of them.
YEah, specially DQ2 where for the mobile ports they changed one of the key items so you don't have to go to an extremely dangerous cave to get it, and the last part cnaging the AI of the enemies so they don't one shot you with Kamikaze (it still can happen)

I'd bite instantly, the versions currently available are very cheap-ish looking for my taste, a quality approach would be amazing

Back
Top Bottom