• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

RTTP World-E in SMA4(SMB3) is very surreal.

(Returned to the party)

Have you played World E?

• Total voters

Mer.Saloon

Tingle
Pronouns
He/Him
I remember as a kid, owning the cartridge for this game (was my first proper Mario 3 experience) and I poured hours into it.

81BW1NpyxjS.jpg

I loved every single level, and even had a strategy guide back then just so I could discover absolutely every secret within. But one thing alluded me, and cursed my every waking hour.

This:
World-e_SMA4.gif

This! THIS! THIS! Horrid level screen.

This thing vexed and tortured me for years because in my guide, I read about all these awesome brand new levels that promised to combine everything from the Mario series that I couldn't get from Mario 3. The turnips from 2, or the Chucks from Mario World. It was always my dream to play them.
Problem: I had no E-reader and had no idea how to get one. Needing another Gameboy advance was also very out of the question for my parents.
So all I'd do as a kid was stand on this level screen, switching out Mario and Luigi and going into the E-castle, fantasizing the levels I couldn't get to.

Years later, the game comes to Wii U, and I am over the moon at the fact Nintendo not only brought SMA4 back, BUT brought the E-reader levels along with it! It was my dream come true.
Problem: No Wii U. And I didn't really want one, but I was tempted.

Now move forward to the Switch, and the GBA app. My dream has finally come true! I can now play World-E and experience all the joys I read on the pages of my dusty prima strategy guide long ago. What do I think?

These levels are weird man.

It's like playing a proto-Mario Maker level with a bunch of design elements from all over the series just combining into a mish mash. You have levels centered around the veggies from Mario 2, or levels about these little penguins from Yoshi's Island who bump you around. Or you have proper ghost houses from SMW with boss appearance from Big Boo. It's just all kinda weird.

But honestly, I love it. I poured through every single level and had a blast, playing as both Mario and Lugi. And I am so glad Luigi got more of his Mario 2 characteristics, so replaying levels always felt different. Especially the dashing levels. Those things are nightmares with Luigi. But I perserved and got all the fun coins, played all the Toad House minigames and got to fill the castle with all these nice E-coins. It really was worth the long wait.

I too played a buttload of this on GBA (and also on Super Mario All-Stars when I was much younger) and never got to touch the e-reader levels. Haven't checked it out on GBA yet but it's on my to-do list! Just so many games right now.

I played SMA4 back on GBA but I dont think I did much with the eReader levels. However I played a ton of this game on GBA NSO and actually did all the eReader stages for the first time thanks to it. They were definitely a highlight and like Mario Maker stages like you said with pulling in so many game mechanics from other 2D Mario's and putting them in SMB3.

I played SMA4 back on GBA but I dont think I did much with the eReader levels. However I played a ton of this game on GBA NSO and actually did all the eReader stages for the first time thanks to it. They were definitely a highlight and like Mario Maker stages like you said with pulling in so many game mechanics from other 2D Mario's and putting them in SMB3.
It's funny too how these levels go further than Mario Maker in design, mainly in bringing back the veggies or made the cape work into the Mario 3 style. Honestly the pick up and throwing is a pretty underused mechanic these days except to antagonize friends in multiplayer.

Being European, I didn't get to experience World e until very late on, but it's pretty trippy. Feels like more of an experiment area for weird ideas that could be done by combining all early SMB games, and it's interesting in that way.

I’m still salty we missed out on the later two series of cards. The e-Reader levels are definitely the highlight, but having the cards that allow you to add SMB 2 grass to the standard levels was neat. I think one of the cards we didn’t get added the SMW cape as a power up?

I played the e-reader levels that got released in the US way back when, and I played the rest on an emulator about a decade ago. They're fun weird experiments, especially considering they predate even the first NSMB. Nothing mindblowing but I enjoy them and they add a lot of value to the base SMB3 experience. It's too bad though you can't use the e-reader cards in the main game through the NSO version.

the particularly wild part is that there's a ton of unused data featuring even more elements from the other 2D games. from the dolphins in Super Mario World...
SMA4Dolphin2.gif

to wiggler butterflies that only appeared once(!) in Super Mario World 2.
SMA4FlyingWiggler1.gif

it seems like they were intending to be a sort of "killer-app" for the e-reader, with icons for at least three more level sets. but the sales likely made stop earlier than intended.
SMA4UnusedSets.png

I’m still salty we missed out on the later two series of cards. The e-Reader levels are definitely the highlight, but having the cards that allow you to add SMB 2 grass to the standard levels was neat. I think one of the cards we didn’t get added the SMW cape as a power up?

The switch cards yeah. One of these would make enemies turn into coins when you hit them with fireballs, and the other would spawn SMB2 veggies in the main adventure. What a missed opportunity that those weren't added into the package.

The Japanese List:
Blue Switch- Turns 1 UP Shrooms into 3 Up Moons
Yellow Switch- Gives main game Luigi his floaty jump and higher bouncing fireballs.
Green Switch- First 50 Seconds are slowed down.
Cyan: The P Meter is halved.
Red Switch: Every bad thing Powers down Mario to small form even with the extra power ups.

Last edited:

We got the SMW cape card. I had it.

Played about 1/3 of the levels on e-reader then the rest through the WiiU version. E-Reader is definitely one of Nintendo's wackier ideas lol.

World-e can register up to 72 levels, and keep the level data of 32 levels (+1 temp). They had 3 floors of e Coins for the castle. The eCoins, btw, are contained inside the level card (just like the level itself).

The WiiU VC and NSO version was hacked to load level data from somewhere else and ignore limits.

Last edited:
World-e can register up to 72 levels, and keep the level data of 32 levels (+1 temp). They had 3 floors of e Coins for the castle. The eCoins, btw, are contained inside the level card (just like the level itself).

The WiiU VC and NSO version was hacked to load level data from somewhere else and ignore limits.
Could the rom have been hacked to allow the switch cards to stay permanently on?

Edit: Me with the could. Pfft. I meant to say, "What would it take to have the Switch Cards permanently on?"

Last edited:
I have no interest in playing the SMA4 version of SMB3, but I might tackle the exclusive levels.

I'm mainly hoping for the extra levels in Yoshi's Island and DKC3 GBA (although that last one had a rather small chance of coming).

Could the rom have been hacked to allow the switch cards to stay permanently on?

Edit: Me with the could. Pfft. I meant to say, "What would it take to have the Switch Cards permanently on?"
Well they could, but they also could release Special versions with premade saves where some Switch Cards are enabled by default in a couple files and Level Card. It's a bit lazier but it's a fine alternative. Or they could emulate a second GBA with a custom program that sends the data and add a Switch card menu, which is something I kind of tested in the past.

Back
Top Bottom