• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club Will TotK's Launch Trailer play during The SMB Movie previews?

Will TotK have a trailer shown during the SMB Movie previews in theaters?

• Yes

Votes: 14 22.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 77.4%

• Total voters

Scrawnton

T1D Gamer
Founder
Or will Nintendo not sneak any game marketing into theaters for this movie?

It seems like such a slam dunk idea to put Tears of the Kingdom in front of the eyes of the bajillions of people who will being seeing the Super Mario Movie which premiers only one month before TotK.

What will Nintendo do?

They could attach a trailer to it, sure, but a new trailer no one has seen before? I don't think so.

They could attach a trailer yeah, it's not like there hasn't been precedent before. Sonic 2 had trailers for Frontiers playing during it's Japanese release.

I wouldn't be surprised if all the trailers played are from other Universal or Illumination movies.

What I really WANT tho? A 3D Mario reveal teaser for 2024.

They could attach a trailer to it, sure, but a new trailer no one has seen before? I don't think so.
I don't think it'll be a new trailer no one has seen before. I think it'll be the launch trailer that we have yet to see that will most likely be shown at a dedicated TotK Direct at some point before the Mario Movie in April.

It would be more hype if there was a post credits scene hinting at a new Mario game this holiday

If they had a Mario game I would've said yes.

At best they'll do a Switch ad showing various games like older Mario titles as well as TotK.

“Trailers are age appropriate to the feature presentation”

So, no.

Mario movie is a PG
TOTK is 12+

Don't know about how strict north america is, but you can easily make age appropriate trailers. Marvels Spiderman is 16+ in Europe and I'm sure I saw trailers for it in the cinema, and I definitely didn't go to see any films that were 15+.

Edit: Yep, I did, Ant-Man 2 in the UK had Miles Morales trailers, for example.

Oh. Oh Jesus. That... I'm having a flashback to the summer of 98, when I saw Ocarina of Time advertised in front of some movie. Was it Godzilla? One of the MIB movies?

Basil Poledouris's Riders of Doom playing over footage of Ocarina on the big screen. "Wilst thou soar, or wilst thou suck?"

Did that happen? I think that happened. Does anyone else remember? Is anyone else old enough to remember?

It's possible, but i don't think so tbh. If it was Sony then maybe but i don't see Nintendo doing this. We will have another trailer before then though.

If we don't get a Fire Emblem Genealogy Holy Wars Remake trailer, I am walking out of the theaters.

As a consolation prize, I will gladly take an F-Zero announcement during the previews instead.

Don't know about how strict north america is, but you can easily make age appropriate trailers. Marvels Spiderman is 16+ in Europe and I'm sure I saw trailers for it in the cinema, and I definitely didn't go to see any films that were 15+.

Edit: Yep, I did, Ant-Man 2 in the UK had Miles Morales trailers, for example.
that's the whole point of greenband trailers. there's nothing stopping a Zelda trailer from being shown

Would be amazing if so

Gonna be a monstrous 2 months for Nintendo, kinda might be why they’re skipping E3 now that I think about it 😅

I can see a TotK trailer in like...the pre-trailers ad section of the film. You know, that part where we have the movie trivia and advertisements for the movie theater you're currently in and stuff? But alongside the true previews segment, I'm not so sure. I think that will mostly stick to actual movie trailers.

Nintendo would have to buy ad space with individual theaters and chains. I don't think it'll be part of the trailer block but the ads before the trailers

I can see a TotK trailer in like...the pre-trailers ad section of the film. You know, that part where we have the movie trivia and advertisements for the movie theater you're currently in and stuff? But alongside the true previews segment, I'm not so sure. I think that will mostly stick to actual movie trailers.
Yeah, this is the only context I could see it in. At least in America I can't remember the last time there was a game trailer in the theater with actual movie trailers.

Isn't that up to the distribution company, and not Nintendo? I don't think they'd want a Zelda trailer instead of something else from their company or movies similar in theme to the Mario Movie.

It would be really cool seeing it though.

Their marketing has been so lackluster so far, I doubt it. Feels like they treat it more like a stopgap towards Switch 2 than their main event.

Their marketing has been so lackluster so far, I doubt it. Feels like they treat it more like a stopgap towards Switch 2 than their main event.

Saying they're treating what is probably their most expensive project to date as a stopgap is an opinion alright.

Back
Top Bottom