• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Will There Ever Be Another Nintendo Game Featuring A Large Cast of Nintendo Characters That Isn’t Smash?

Rareware

Koopa
One of Smash’s biggest appeals is that it features a huge cast of characters across Nintendo’s rich history of 40 years of IP. We’ve seen them dabble ever-so-slightly by expanding Mario Kart into some non-Mario territory with the inclusion of Link, Isabelle, and some extra DK universe characters. They had a very small attempt at something with Nintendo Land but extremely limited in what they did there. And… that’s about it? Nothing else really comes to mind.

Do you all think they will ever attempt to capitalize on the success of the diversity of Smash’s franchised roster into another genre some day? And if so, what do you think they will do?

I’d love to see them make another attempt with a new Nintendo Land game. It feels like the groundwork was laid for something that could be one of their biggest and most appealing franchises to date with a bigger project and more worlds. They have so many franchises, so can you imagine how awesome it would be to visit them? And then they can obviously add more over time with expansions and DLC.

A ‘Nintendo Racer’ or ‘Nintendo Party’ seems like such an obvious no brainer of an answer, but feels like those two genres are just so successful already with Mario Kart and Mario Party that I don’t think they’ll ever do a ‘Smash’ type game on those genres. They’ll just probably continue to casually drop non-Mario stuff into them, but never enough to make it feel “non-Mario”.

Not sure what else they could do here—if ever!—aside from the aforementioned Nintendo Land again, but I’d love to hear your thoughts and suggestions!

I think Nintendo doesn't want a crossover of that scope outside Smash, exactly because it would diminish Smash's identity as a special occasion.

Even Nintendo Land was very limited in the franchises it could used, characters in Super Mario Maker also didn't go the way (TPC was very stricted with that), and even cameos like Project X Zone, Skylanders and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe are just a handful of IPs.

I'm certain that we're never seeing Pikachu in a Mario Kart game, that's for sure.

I didn't have much of anything to suggest coming into this thread, but since you mentioned Nintendo Land it's probably the best series to fit the bill depending on how much scope they wanted to give it even if it's strictly first party IP.

Let's say they really leaned into the roller coaster theme park aesthetic and design. You can walk around with your Mii character to different rides/exhibits that are disguised as mini-games. With Wara Wara Plaza/Miiverse dead on Wii U, it could be the game not named Splatoon that offers community engagement and feedback for people to share Miiverse posts, and while maybe not having dedicated game forums and threads like Miiverse did, you could organize communication based on the various Nintendo franchises. (But then you run into the problem of moderation being required much like Miiverse encountered and probably why it's not coming back)

At a certain point my ideas started becoming more like Tomodachi in terms of customization so I deleted a good chunk of paragraphs, but perhaps it could be worked on as a cheaper title subsidized by DLC "rides" that serve as promotional vehicles for new games/movies/actual Universal Theme Park expansions.

I kind of hope Nintendo World Championship will be a hit and Nintendo takes the hint and goes all cross overy with their IP in a NES Remix kind of way where there is a huge crossover between gameplay, game worlds and characters.

Something akin to a "Smash Musou" in the style of the Orochi games would be the dream.

That said, as stated above, it likely won't happen because Smash requires a LOT factors working to make it happen. And one of those key factors is Sakurai, himself, who not only is able to help broker these deals, but often takes a personal, hands-on approach to game development himself.

You couldn't get something like to happen with any other dude or dev team.

Mario maker 1 wii u had skins for many if not all characters that had an amiibo at the time, and Mario kart has a huge swathe of Mii costumes plus several guests, but no, they're never going to make another game that has the kind of depth and breadth of IP represented that Smash does.

I could see a general "Nintendo Warriors" some day, but it's probably more likely they will stick to specific series for that.

I don't think a Kart or Party would happen, unless it was branded as a spin-off of the existing games (i.e. the series would stay "Mario Kart" or "Mario Party" with a subtitle like "Nintendo All-Stars" or something). I don't think they want to undermine their own sales on those games, since they tend to be evergreen titles.

I could see some kind of ARPG or SRPG maybe.

Personally, I'd love it. Smash has been feeling to me like it is moving more away from niche stuff and is more about big names and third-parties, so an opportunity to make a crossover game that allows for a bit more experimentation would be appreciated.

Always wanted to see Super Mario RPG sequel => Nintendo RPG.

Partner with Square-Enix again or maybe even Level-5.

Nintendo Musou would be really cool, but they probably figure they can make more moolah with multiple Musou series.

One of Smash’s biggest appeals is that it features a huge cast of characters across Nintendo’s rich history of 40 years of IP. We’ve seen them dabble ever-so-slightly by expanding Mario Kart into some non-Mario territory with the inclusion of Link, Isabelle, and some extra DK universe characters. They had a very small attempt at something with Nintendo Land but extremely limited in what they did there. And… that’s about it? Nothing else really comes to mind.

Do you all think they will ever attempt to capitalize on the success of the diversity of Smash’s franchised roster into another genre some day? And if so, what do you think they will do?

I’d love to see them make another attempt with a new Nintendo Land game. It feels like the groundwork was laid for something that could be one of their biggest and most appealing franchises to date with a bigger project and more worlds. They have so many franchises, so can you imagine how awesome it would be to visit them? And then they can obviously add more over time with expansions and DLC.

A ‘Nintendo Racer’ or ‘Nintendo Party’ seems like such an obvious no brainer of an answer, but feels like those two genres are just so successful already with Mario Kart and Mario Party that I don’t think they’ll ever do a ‘Smash’ type game on those genres. They’ll just probably continue to casually drop non-Mario stuff into them, but never enough to make it feel “non-Mario”.

Not sure what else they could do here—if ever!—aside from the aforementioned Nintendo Land again, but I’d love to hear your thoughts and suggestions!
Personally, I would love for Nintendo to make a traditional JRPG with the vast majority of their first party franchises in one game. Of course, Mario needs to be the main character but if they want to be creative and come up with a character like Kevin from Captain N : The Game Master, then I’m all in for that.

The most possible way i imagine will be movies.

I thought they were already toying with this idea by throwing in squids, villagers, and Link into Mario Kart 8. I guess Mii costumes also sort of count? Will be very pleased if the next MK goes all out and they do more than that.

Back
Top Bottom