• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Will Stray ever come to the Switch? (UPDATE: yes, see threadmarks)

• Thread starter Deleted member 4629
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4629

Title seems pretty self-explanatory. Stray has been released on the PS4, PS5 and Windows, a Xbox One and Series X/S port has been announced for this August, and a macOS port is in development. It seems like Stray is coming to every platform out there...Except the Switch. I remember hearing some buzz about Stray coming to the Switch a few months ago because of some ratings, and I kind of hoped to see Stray in the Direct last month, but, well, nothing. I'd for sure love to play it on the Switch! Makes me wonder if it will ever come to the Switch. What do you think?

I found that once the appeal of playing as the cat wore off, stray got pretty boring. Best played in short bursts probably so it would be nice for hand helds

The game's lighting is largely baked in, so I doubt it's a performance issue. And Annapurna would port to Switch if they could. The issue, I think, is that HK Dev is a small outfit and can't do too much at one time

The game's lighting is largely baked in, so I doubt it's a performance issue. And Annapurna would port to Switch if they could. The issue, I think, is that HK Dev is a small outfit and can't do too much at one time
The "cities" are quite dense in geometry, maybe that's a complicated part.

Porting issues aside, I think we might see it on the next switch. Though I think it could run on the switch with a little bit of elbow grease. I doubt Stray players are the kind that would care about a graphical downgrade, though I will be the first to say that the lightning in that game does enhance it a lot.

I’d buy it if it came out on a cartridge. It looks like a fun linear adventure.

There are no technical reasons why it couldn’t run in the switch. It’s just a matter of whether anyone wants to put out the time and money for the porting work.

honestly if the team is small, they might be better off targeting an early port on the new hardware to garner some more publicity rather than going through the painstaking optimization process of making it work on current Switch.

But that's also a risky gamble since any indication of the release date for the hardware is still based on rumors and who knows when they'd get a devkit.

Manifesting a Stray Switch port announcement for the Direct!

(I hope im right haha)

Stray is running on Unreal Engine 4, so maybe not entirely out of the realm of possibility for OG Switch, but yeah I think I would be leaning towards holding off for new hardware to maintain as much of visual flair and aesthetics as they can

Tbh I was looking it up thinking it might have been running UE5 and then with The Matrix demo rumour would 100% believe it's being held for Switch 2 launch window haha

I applaud Annapurna's dedication to Switch. No "Let's wait for the successor" shit, they're on the team "Let's make impossible possible". I want their future slate on Switch as well.

Back
Top Bottom