• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Predictions Will Metroid Prime 4 Have Ridley And Or Kraid

TOP TEXT

• Total voters
Yes to both, hopefully.

Ridley is still alive at this point in the timeline, and Dread decided to keep him dead, so it'd be nice to see him in Prime 4. At the same time: I'd be cool with him being left out, since he was already in previous Prime games, and they might wanna focus on newer threats (in addition to legacy bosses that never got a second appearance, like Crocomire, Draygon, Serris, Yakuza, and so on).

Kraid was famously meant to appear in Prime 1 at one point, but ultimately wasn't featured in the Prime Trilogy in any capacity. I'd really love it if we finally got a first-person fight against Kraid, so if I have to pick between him and Ridley, it's Kraid all the way.

Imagine a Prime style rendition of Hip Tanaka's best track from Metroid 1. I need that. We need that.

Look, we dont know.

I would prefer if the question was "do we want those two to appear" which my answer would be a definitive no.

We have had enough of 2d bosses that have no business appearing in the prime games, if you re going to do balatant nostalgia at least make it come from the trilogy (even then, its bad, dont do it)

I voted no as my guess is that we’ll see mostly new creatures, but I’m down to see either! We haven’t fought Ridley in a good 3D game since Prime 3 so I’d love to see what exciting ideas Retro could bring to the next Ridley fight (it’d be hard to top the vertical shaft fight though). Kraid just got in Dread, so I’m skeptical he’ll show up again so soon, but like Aurc mentioned he did infamously never appear in Prime 1 so I’d be interested in what a 3D Kraid fight would be like.

If we did get a returning boss creature, I think Phantoon has the most potential (in chance and in how rad the fight would be), Draygon would be very appreciated, and Crocomire would be the most hype for me.

Look, we dont know.

I would prefer if the question was "do we want those two to appear" which my answer would be a definitive no.

We have had enough of 2d bosses that have no business appearing in the prime games, if you re going to do balatant nostalgia at least make it come from the trilogy (even then, its bad, dont do it)
100% agree. The developer team should ask themselves which classic boss can bring something new in 3D. "None of them" is a valid answer (nostalgia for nostalgia sake leads nowhere), though IMHO both Nigthmare and Phantoom would be interesting with the various visors.

My gut says yes Kraid, no Ridley.

imo Ridley's a little over-played at this point, so unless there was some kind of "Ridley's in Smash, you gotta put him in Prime 4" request from higher up when they took over the project, my guess is Retro will avoid going straight back to that particular well again.

Meanwhile, Kraid was considered for Prime 1, and I could see Retro wanting to circle back to that idea, sorta independently arriving at the same "Bring back a classic Metroid boss, but throw a curveball by making it Kraid instead of doing the now-expected Ridley fight" idea that Metroid Dread arrived at.

(Maybe presumptuous, but I'm sorta just assuming that Tanabe/Retro and Sakamoto/MercurySteam haven't had a "let's make sure we don't both reuse any of the same bosses" degree of coordination or note sharing going on while their games were in development)

We have had enough of 2d bosses that have no business appearing in the prime games,
You make it sound like it was a massive problem in the Prime series when the only boss that's a rehash is Ridley, and even then they did unique things with him.

I’d love to be surprised and not see Ridley. Every additional time that mofo shows up, it makes Samus’ PTSD in Other M even more ridiculous.

I voted no as my guess is that we’ll see mostly new creatures, but I’m down to see either! We haven’t fought Ridley in a good 3D game since Prime 3 so I’d love to see what exciting ideas Retro could bring to the next Ridley fight (it’d be hard to top the vertical shaft fight though). Kraid just got in Dread, so I’m skeptical he’ll show up again so soon, but like Aurc mentioned he did infamously never appear in Prime 1 so I’d be interested in what a 3D Kraid fight would be like.

If we did get a returning boss creature, I think Phantoon has the most potential (in chance and in how rad the fight would be), Draygon would be very appreciated, and Crocomire would be the most hype for me.
Phantoon in a Prime game would be rad! The only reason I didn't list him alongside the others is because he was previously in Other M, but if Retro sees merit in using him again, I'd love to see what they do there. I'd really like to see a boss back that never appeared in more than one game (or even in a 3D Metroid), though. Crocomire and Serris are my #1 picks! They both have prominent gimmicks (Crocomire's being tug of war, and Serris with the Speed Booster), so I'd be interested in seeing how exactly those would translate.

I'm gonna go with neither. I do think Phazon will be referenced though. I'm also going to say no to the Space Pirates being in it.

Phantoon in a Prime game would be rad! The only reason I didn't list him alongside the others is because he was previously in Other M, but if Retro sees merit in using him again, I'd love to see what they do there. I'd really like to see a boss back that never appeared in more than one game (or even in a 3D Metroid), though. Crocomire and Serris are my #1 picks! They both have prominent gimmicks (Crocomire's being tug of war, and Serris with the Speed Booster), so I'd be interested in seeing how exactly those would translate.
Yeah Phantoon’s boss fight is the only good part of Other M, but it’s also so different than how I’d expect a Prime boss battle to go that I think there is room here for Retro to take a stab at it. I know there is lore with Phantoon, but also I don’t know, he was kind of just chilling in space in Other M iirc so I think he could just show up in a Prime game uninvited lol.

I was gonna vote "no to both" because Ridley was featured in just so many games at this point and Kraid was recently in Dread, but...

I really wanna see how a Ridley redesign would look like. Maybe his consciousness in a robot that's undefeatable until you get some berserk mode later on.

Kraid I really wanna see how big of a delight it'll get to fight him on a 3D game. Just imagine the crazy boss fights in Bayo 3 with gigantic enemies or some GoW 2 bosses that you had to climb on. Can be beautiful.

But what we really have to wonder is... Will Mother Brain appear again?? Dread brought back Kraid beautiful, we've had an amazing boss fight against Ridley in Prime Remastered, but Mother Brain... We've yet to see her in big scope modern design.

Gonna make a crazy theory that Sylux transforms a Metroid into Mother Brain that's also a new Prime form that spawns little baby Metroids like crazy and makes Samus think her mission in Samus Returns was all for nothing. Also I know this vastly ignores the whole timeline placement but whatever.

I think it can be a soft reboot like Pikmin 4 and BotW were. Like the game feeling like it's years after everything that happened in the timeline(maybe with an older Samus or maybe them merging the last Metroid in captivity with Prime being defeated for good but Sylux coming to ressurect).

Imo just have Kraid, Ridley, Mother Brain and a Chozo antagonist for the sake of us going wild with nostalgia.

I actually thought the Ridely fight itself in Other M was pretty cool (ignoring the preceding cutscene). It has my favorite version of his theme. Both Nightmare fights, and Phantoon were also really cool.

We had three Ridley fights though in the Prime games (I wasn't a big fan of the Prime 1 fight but both fights in Corruption were great), let him rest. Though I don't think we'll get a Kraid fight, I would love to be wrong. It'd be awesome to have part of it take place inside him after he swallows you or something, and various things inside his innards are trying to kill you.

I actually thought the Ridely fight itself in Other M was pretty cool (ignoring the preceding cutscene). It has my favorite version of his theme. Both Nightmare fights, and Phantoon were also really cool.

We had three Ridley fights though in the Prime games (I wasn't a big fan of the Prime 1 fight but both fights in Corruption were great), let him rest. Though I don't think we'll get a Kraid fight, I would love to be wrong. It'd be awesome to have part of it take place inside him after he swallows you or something, and various things inside his innards are trying to kill you.
Yeah the Other M Ridley fight itself is also pretty solid, but the stuff around that fight is one of the biggest low points of the game so I tend to forget it haha. I genuinely do not remember the Nightmare fights in Other M. Until I heard people on Fami discuss he was in Other M, I didn’t even remember he was in the game at all.

I was gonna vote "no to both" because Ridley was featured in just so many games at this point and Kraid was recently in Dread, but...

I really wanna see how a Ridley redesign would look like.
Yeah, this is what I basically thought when I first saw this topic. I don't want Ridley to return, but it'd be cool to see his redesign.

That being said, I actually really want Kraid to return. I think a Kraid fight in the Prime series could be really cool. Just put him on ice for a while after that so he doesn't get overused too much, since he was just in Dread.

Would be fun to see Kraid in 3D but Ridley is just a joke at this point. Prime 3 battle was comedy gold with him wizarding electric fences and clawing at you like a cat who doesn't want to go to the doctor

Voted for Ridley but no Kraid, even though I'd like to see the opposite happen but Ridley's probably too iconic to not put into the game :p

Yes to both, hopefully.

Ridley is still alive at this point in the timeline, and Dread decided to keep him dead, so it'd be nice to see him in Prime 4. At the same time: I'd be cool with him being left out, since he was already in previous Prime games, and they might wanna focus on newer threats (in addition to legacy bosses that never got a second appearance, like Crocomire, Draygon, Serris, Yakuza, and so on).

Kraid was famously meant to appear in Prime 1 at one point, but ultimately wasn't featured in the Prime Trilogy in any capacity. I'd really love it if we finally got a first-person fight against Kraid, so if I have to pick between him and Ridley, it's Kraid all the way.

Imagine a Prime style rendition of Hip Tanaka's best track from Metroid 1. I need that. We need that.
yes to Kraid, maybe to Ridley i curious how Retro Studios is gonna translate Kraid gigantic size to 3D, if Kraid is in Metroid Prime 4

Ridley eat quite a lot of missiles in his Prime life... (man I love the end of the first encounter in Prime 3, Samus pushing her beam canon in his throat and unloading missiles)

I'm going to say yes to both. Ridley is basically Samus's nemesis, the only other Metroid character that more general audiences really recognize, has been in every numbered Prime game, and the Prime games take place before the man was killed off for real in the 2D games. I can't see him not showing up again, even if he really doesn't need to. Kraid, I think he could show up if only because Retro hasn't gotten a chance to mess with him yet. I wouldn't mind as much since he hasn't been in nearly as many games, but we just got him in Dread, so I'm good on Kraid. Rather have a clean slate of completely new bosses.

He didn't appear in Echoes, only Prime 1 and Corruption.
How the hell did I blank on that? o_O
That does give me some hope that Ridley won't be in Prime 4, but I'm still going be wary. Just going to assume he'll turn up, and be happily surprised if he doesn't.

Retro has always owed my big green boy, Kraid, a decent rendition of his theme and his fight. Ridley can take a seat!

That said, even if we are still operating in the "between Metroid 1 - Metroid 2" time frame, it might make sense to leave the Pirates out. By this point, they've been beaten into the dirt, just starting to get over their Phazon addiction, and had their "home world" blown up. If any time was a good time for them to be portrayed as lying low, and setting the stage for their renewed operations on Zebes under Mother, it might be now. Give some other threats in the galaxy a chance to be built up.

...Then again, Dread only suggests further that Kraid may be a species of beings, which means any other individual could pop up any time, Pirate-affiliated or not. I could see Retro running with the idea, if given the chance.

I remember in a 2015 interview Tanabe said he wanted to move away from ridley/space pirates so I'm inclined to say neither will appear

Yeah Phantoon’s boss fight is the only good part of Other M, but it’s also so different than how I’d expect a Prime boss battle to go that I think there is room here for Retro to take a stab at it. I know there is lore with Phantoon, but also I don’t know, he was kind of just chilling in space in Other M iirc so I think he could just show up in a Prime game uninvited lol.
If there's Phantoon lore, I'm definitely not the dude who'd be capable of giving anyone a rundown on him... lmao. Whoops. Was I supposed to know anything about this ghostbloke? He's just some spectral entity that haunts the Wrecked Ship (and is somehow a Space Pirate commander?), and then he appears in Other M for literally no reason other than "Lol it'd be cool to put Phantoon here!" He's neat, but his lore is like a sentence long, which amuses me. 😄

One small thing that bugs me is the fact that Phantoon lacks his own theme. Kraid, Crocomire, and Phantoon all just shared the same one. They could definitely fix that.
But what we really have to wonder is... Will Mother Brain appear again?? Dread brought back Kraid beautiful, we've had an amazing boss fight against Ridley in Prime Remastered, but Mother Brain... We've yet to see her in big scope modern design.
Timeline issue aside (as of Prime 4, she should still be in the process of being rebuilt after getting her ass beat the first time), there's also the fact that Corruption already had Dark Samus fuse with a giant brain for its final boss, so I'm unsure if they'd wanna go there again. The Aurora Units in general were very Mother Brain-y.

Side note: I'm curious as to how the Space Pirates managed to rebuild their whole base and leader. Zebes should've been liberated after the events of Metroid 1. Some of the Pirates just... stuck around? The Federation didn't bother to monitor Zebes for Pirate activity? 🤔 Can't they get their thumbs out their asses and do something useful (that isn't evil) for once?
How the hell did I blank on that? o_O
That does give me some hope that Ridley won't be in Prime 4, but I'm still going be wary. Just going to assume he'll turn up, and be happily surprised if he doesn't.
He must've been absent from Echoes because he needed some recovery time after getting his buns cooked by the Chozo Artifact Temple in Prime 1.

Side note: I'm curious as to how the Space Pirates managed to rebuild their whole base and leader. Zebes should've been liberated after the events of Metroid 1. Some of the Pirates just... stuck around? The Federation didn't bother to monitor Zebes for Pirate activity? 🤔 Can't they get their thumbs out their asses and do something useful (that isn't evil) for once?
It depends on which breed of Pirates we're dealing with.

If we get what the Prime side of things would have us believe, there's always th shadowy cabal of their elites, aka "High Command", that pulls the strings and organizes their forces appropriately. If so, it's believable to imagine that even after a number of loses and setbacks, they could've orchestrated different contingency plans. After all, between Dark Samus, Phazon and some other threats to think about, that'd be the ideal solution to rebuild on Zebes while the Feds are "occupied" (and seemingly unable to walk and chew bubblegum).

Normally, I'd be right there with you in how silly this is...and then I remember that governments in our very real world have done, or are definitely doing, a lot of the same stupid shit~!

I know Ridley has been in a lot of games, but man I get hyped every time I hear a new rendition of his theme song.

I voted no Kraid and yes Ridley based on my gut feeling, but I would love to see Kraid! The Prime games always deliver with compelling new boss fights, so I'm looking forward to those as well.

If there's Phantoon lore, I'm definitely not the dude who'd be capable of giving anyone a rundown on him... lmao. Whoops. Was I supposed to know anything about this ghostbloke? He's just some spectral entity that haunts the Wrecked Ship (and is somehow a Space Pirate commander?), and then he appears in Other M for literally no reason other than "Lol it'd be cool to put Phantoon here!" He's neat, but his lore is like a sentence long, which amuses me. 😄
I want Phantoon to have contradicting lore. Every time you meet them (it?), you discover something new lore-wise which doesn't really make sense. Perhaps they could even references future events (e.g., scanning him in Prime 4 could reference Super Metroid).

Phantoon is a multidimensional being. What makes sense for them, doesn't have to make sense for us. The wrecked ship was already very meta, so going meta even narratively fits Phantoon.

The thread reminded me I don't want Space Pirates back. I only played Prime 1 and I got sick of them after awhile. Please more new enemies variety.

And yes maybe another Ridley fight can be bothering. So maybe have him in a side story of DLC or have him as a secret boss(like SR I think?).

But please Retro give me a Kraid fight just for the scope it's gonna have.

It took until Dread to get a new, notable, non-parasite antagonist in Raven Beak and Metroid fans keep demanding Ridley. :p

I'd be down for both. We've never fought Kraid in 3D before, so that would be especially cool to see; the only downside there is that he just reappeared in Dread so that might be a bit too recent.

Ridley can easily make an appearance and he hasn't shown up in a while, but I'd like them to do something new for him if so, too. A cool new redesign and a new way to do the fight would be welcome.

I don't need to see either Ridley or Kraid, but I'm not against an appearance. I expect Prime 4 to look gorgeous, so it could be awesome to see them in a new style.

Back
Top Bottom