• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Why This New CD Could Change Storage

Definitively no.

There will always be a niche consumer base that will prefer physical media (as recently as 10-15 years ago, "hipsters" were trying to bring the Walkman back, there are still people who purchased CD releases of their music, and blurays/DVDs of their movies/TV shows - nonetheless, Best Buys and Targets have either completely eliminated or shrunk their DVD, Bluray, and CD aisles).

Gaming will continue to receive physical media, in the immediate future, but I would imagine the gaming aisles at stores will continue to get smaller, games will be printed at smaller numbers, and there will come a time where something like Limited Run will be the exclusive outlet for physical games media.

Also, the trajectory of gaming, in general, isn't optimistic, as Millenials and Gen Xers age out of gaming and/or die off, and Gen Z and Gen Alpha continue to not adopt gaming as an entertainment source the way Millenials and Gen X did (even with how much the Switch sold, how many Switch owners are parents who play the games they like, whereas their kids ONLY play Fortnite and Minecraft?).

I don't think storage capacity is really the primary reason physical media is in decline in the first place. It's really more of a consumer preference/convenience thing, combined with certain types of physical media providing worse user experiences than they used to.

There is also the fact that the advantages of optical storage faded when entering in the HD era. There was an explosion of data and the read speeds just can't keep up. As such optical media is more for distribution rather than playing the game directly off. As long you need to install the game to internal storage the huge size of newer optical media formats won't matter unless they significantly increase the data reading speeds, which seems impossible.

Also, the trajectory of gaming, in general, isn't optimistic, as Millenials and Gen Xers age out of gaming and/or die off, and Gen Z and Gen Alpha continue to not adopt gaming as an entertainment source the way Millenials and Gen X did (even with how much the Switch sold, how many Switch owners are parents who play the games they like, whereas their kids ONLY play Fortnite and Minecraft?).
Mario and Pokemon are still very popular with kids due to the level of global multimedia recognition, and then Fortnite and Minecraft are on Switch along with everything else, and the built-in off-TV play of a portable helps too. Nintendo has a lot less to worry about in terms of younger players discovering their titles than the studios aiming only at 18+ year old adults wanting to pay £70 a go.

This last paragraph is wild. Please let me know where you get your data these assertions are based on, and should we all be worried?

I'm not sure how kids these days not liking the same games we do is a bad thing. It's just a thing.

This last paragraph is wild. Please let me know where you get your data these assertions are based on, and should we all be worried?
I wanted to ask the same. My kids and their friends all love video games. Edit- and they don’t all just play Minecraft

I'm wracking my brain trying to think of uses consumers could have for this, and so far all I've got is replacing HDD as Plex server storage. If costs ever come down I'd be interested.

Cool for organizations using LTO that there's a viable alternative on the horizon.

Yeah, I don't think this will affect gaming much.

Never a bad idea to have bigger removable storage, though.

I'm wracking my brain trying to think of uses consumers could have for this, and so far all I've got is replacing HDD as Plex server storage. If costs ever come down I'd be interested.

Cool for organizations using LTO that there's a viable alternative on the horizon.
Yeah, I imagine this could be big in the archival storage market. Ironically, the capacity is probably too high to get much use as physical media in the short term, because the only medium that could really use that size (video games) also really does not like running directly off of optical media.

Definitively no.

There will always be a niche consumer base that will prefer physical media (as recently as 10-15 years ago, "hipsters" were trying to bring the Walkman back, there are still people who purchased CD releases of their music, and blurays/DVDs of their movies/TV shows - nonetheless, Best Buys and Targets have either completely eliminated or shrunk their DVD, Bluray, and CD aisles).

Gaming will continue to receive physical media, in the immediate future, but I would imagine the gaming aisles at stores will continue to get smaller, games will be printed at smaller numbers, and there will come a time where something like Limited Run will be the exclusive outlet for physical games media.

I mean that's what stuff like the Mario movie is for no?

I’m old enough to remember when people were talking about Project Cafe using some cool new holographic disc that Nintendo had contributed too, that turned out to be nothing. I can’t see this getting much use either

By all means, correct me if I'm wrong, but could you possibly use something like this in a similar way to harddrive that gets read from and then written on to a solid state drive that is used temporarily to be read from to run a game. For a future system or some media playing device in general. Because that seems an effective (costwise possibly as well) way for this to be utilized.

Back
Top Bottom