• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club Why T99 is special to me

bixente

Tingle
To be honest, I couldn't think of anything for a garbage galaxy thread. So I've decided to just write about something that interests me, and that's my favourite Switch game, Tetris 99, and the people I've met (online) along the way.

We hear a lot of bad stories about Twitch, but the Tetris community is awesome. It's not huge, and you won't find streams with thousands of viewers, but that's a good thing for me. It seems like everyone knows everyone in the T99 Twitch community.

I even know this guy via T99 and Twitch, and like me he's from Australia. Because of the game and the people he met, and one woman in particular, he's moved permanently to Canada.

T99 isn't the only game we play. Since the DLC dropped in particular, I've been playing a shit ton of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. I'm extremely shy and reserved but sometimes I'll hop on discord and join voice chat with these folks. They're really nice.

Apologies that I'm not dropping names. I'm not sure if it'd be proper or not.

Oh, my twitch username is heyassman lol. It's a reference from the Seinfeld episode where Kramer gets those vanity plates.

@Soul Skater

Tetris 99 is great and still very active! It's my go to game when I'm feeling anxious watching sports and need to distract myself with something for a bit.

I've played roughly a hundred hours of Tetris 99, but haven't touched it in a long while. Tetris Effect replaced it for me when it released. Sadly this has also ruined my Tetris 99 skills, as I've become used to initial rotate and initial hold, and not having them in 99 completely messes up my timing.

Tetris 99 was the first time I'd ever taken Tetris seriously and man my first win I legit jumped out of my chair in celebration. I was so happy. I'd gone from someone with basically no Tetris experience to being able to beat 98 other people. Genuinely one of my favourite games on the Switch even if I haven't played it much recently.

Hot take: Tetris 99 is one of my favorite Switch games and one of my main reasons for keeping an online subscription.

Has anyone tried the Big Block DLC?

My partner isn't really into videogames, but she's always loved Tetris, and got into 99 in a pretty big way for a while.

Watching her play is actually amazing; I always choke and get knocked out early on, but she would consistently get into the top five of each round. Just an amazing ability to clear blocks, even when the game cranked the speed all the way up.

Back
Top Bottom