• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

LTTP why does nobody talk about fuckin insane other m is tho?? open spoilers

(Late to the party)

what the hell is going on

• other m isnt real

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • other m cant hurt you

Votes: 19 59.4%
  • idk

Votes: 8 25.0%

• Total voters

james

continued history of ill-mannered behavior
everyone's always talkin bout that weird vibe between adam and samus because its weird and kinda sucks which is absolutely fair because its weird and sucks!

but for a game that shares a lot of its core plot ideas with fusion (both take place in facilities studying and replicating the ecosystems of other planets, specifically ones with metroids), it really caught me off guard when the AI designed to mimic the iconic mother brain took physical form as a blonde scientist with a metroid hairclip in her hair.

and then shes doing all this wild neo in the matrix shit dodging bullets at the end of the game. she was looking like wesker in that one resident evil movie.

i dont even really mean this as a negative criticism, its more admiration that this game was allowed to exist in the form it does. that sakamoto just wrote this shit and it happened.

other m feels like it doesnt belong in our world. like it was plucked out of a parallel timeline where metroid is something else

Last edited:
Reminder that this turns out to be What Ridley looks like as a baby.
SSBU_Spirits_Little_Birdie.png

Ridley!!!!!!!

This is also the same game that introduced a new character in it's reveal trailer by having him say "Remember me?" despite the fact the audience has no idea who he is.

After years since i first played it, with an attempt at replaying it that was cut short upon realizing the game was even worse than i remembered; my opinion of the whole thing is basically that the entire game is a series of examples of a lot of misplaced ambition.

Like, you have this high budget feeling game with a thick plot, cutscenes, voice acting, a lot of gameplay mechanics that sound cool on paper, coming from the height of the prime trilogy, that promises to delve into the lore of the series, with tons of callbacks to other games on it, some sort of attempt at doing a very AAA cinematic Metroid...

And then the game successfully misses the landing on absolutely every single jump it tries to make. It's sort of amazing in the other sense of the word, that it was allowed to exist like it did, with absolutely no one stopping it to wonder if it should at any point.

After years since i first played it, with an attempt at replaying it that was cut short upon realizing the game was even worse than i remembered; my opinion of the whole thing is basically that the entire game is a series of examples of a lot of misplaced ambition.

Like, you have this high budget feeling game with a thick plot, cutscenes, voice acting, a lot of gameplay mechanics that sound cool on paper, coming from the height of the prime trilogy, that promises to delve into the lore of the series, with tons of callbacks to other games on it, some sort of attempt at doing a very AAA cinematic Metroid...

And then the game successfully misses the landing on absolutely every single jump it tries to make. It's sort of amazing in the other sense of the word, that it was allowed to exist like it did, with absolutely no one stopping it to wonder if it should at any point.
Oh I bet some people did. They just weren’t in a position to actually change anything.

Yeah Samus and Adam get focus on how bad the story is, but I really dislike what they did with Mother Brain. The iconic Metroid villain finally returns after Super/Zero Mission, and rather than some awesome boss rematch we instead get an awkward teenager ruining everything.

This bit where Adam shoots Samus in the back with his handgun and it not only knocks out Samus but disables her armour too was quite impressive. The Space Pirates would kill for that bit of tech.

Atleast it brought us the ultimate chad anthony. Jokes aside as a teen i played it through with friends and enjoyed it gameplay wise but yh the story was a mess. Like Mother Brain being a human like being/android made no sense + the power locks by adam what a douche. As if they wanted to break samus badassness on purpose in the weirdes way possible. The ridley ptsd i could understand but that adam and samus dynamic was truly something else.

And then the game successfully misses the landing on absolutely every single jump it tries to make.
yeah its almost impressive isnt it? like there's always a pretty substantial "but" you have to cover with any praise you might want to give it.

the moment to monent gameplay is relatively entertaining because the atmosphere is good...but having to control everything with just the wiiremote so you cant use an analogue stick sucks! the boss fights are kinda cool and satisfying, but having to switch between sideways wiimote and first person mode is clunky as hell.

not a single thing fully lands.

I’m so thankful I wasn’t a fan when other m was coming out, because like you pointed out, it literally sounds GOAT-tier masterpiece…. On paper. The hype had to have been so high, it’s just a huge monkey paw.

Other M has a coherent story that trusts the gamer to understand what's happening without making it explicit. The reason it gets pushback is

1. Samus is an unreliable narrator, part of the games detective/film noir feel. She doesn't really understand much and most of the other characters are two steps ahead of her at all times.
2. As the first game that really delves into Samus's character, it the first time people realized she's not very smart and is more of a weapon that needs to be pointed in the right direction if she can't just shoot things.

People don't like #2 and reject it so they don't pick up on #1.

Other M has flaws (most is the story), but I like it a lot. One of the few games I beat 100% twice. I hope Nintendo remakes Other M in the future.

Mother Brain coming back as a pretty blonde android named Melissa Bergman (get it? MB?) with a Metroid hairpin sounds like it came straight out of fanfiction.net and I can't decide If I love it or hate it

Other M has a coherent story that trusts the gamer to understand what's happening without making it explicit. The reason it gets pushback is

1. Samus is an unreliable narrator, part of the games detective/film noir feel. She doesn't really understand much and most of the other characters are two steps ahead of her at all times.
2. As the first game that really delves into Samus's character, it the first time people realized she's not very smart and is more of a weapon that needs to be pointed in the right direction if she can't just shoot things.

People don't like #2 and reject it so they don't pick up on #1.
I really don't see how Samus being somewhat out of the loop is supposed to explain the really bad subtext between Samus and Adam, the Ridley scene really needing at least some sort of build-up to not seem super out of place, or just the entire Adam shooting Samus in the back scene.

I really don't see how Samus being somewhat out of the loop is supposed to explain the really bad subtext between Samus and Adam, the Ridley scene really needing at least some sort of build-up to not seem super out of place, or just the entire Adam shooting Samus in the back scene.
Oh, Sakamoto is a misogynist. So like the first two is because Samus is an emotional wreck that can't really think straight after fusion. For the shooting in the back, that's Adam deciding to kill himself because he realizes he wasted his life I think.

Sakamoto thinks of Samus as a stereotypical woman who just happens to be a death machine rather than the other way around, so the plot is her learning to be less emotional like Adam, but to still have like "Hope" or whatever so she doesn't end up like him. It a sexist story but it has a logic to it.

Oh, Sakamoto is a misogynist. So like the first two is because Samus is an emotional wreck that can't really think straight after fusion.
Other M isn't after Fusion though. As for the shooting in the back, Adam tells you exactly why he does it - whoever goes in there is going to die, and Samus is worth more to the galaxy than he is. It's not subtext there, that's just text.

As far as I can tell us that before localisation swooped in, the intention behind the story is that while Samus does mourn the death of the infant Metroid, the main thing going on is that she hated her time in the Galactic Federation army because she felt she wasn't treated with respect and was mistreated because she was a woman. From that point of view, things like running into a heated area without the Varia suit wasn't Adam holding back power ups for no reason, it was her ignoring an order from Adam to stick to safe areas, because screw you, you're not my boss. The presence of Adam makes her regress to rebellious old ways.

Also the translation apparently missed out other things, like the Bottle Ship being set on a collision course with Earth, and the fact that the people behind the plot in both this and Fusion were conspirators and not the whole Galactic Federation. Hence Samus' ability to still work with the Federation in Dread despite having been apparently been comprehensively betrayed twice.

Other M's story wouldn't ever have been great but it sounds like it got some inadvertent butchering which absolutely did not help.

Oh I bet some people did. They just weren’t in a position to actually change anything.

Hmmm, I don't know about that. Like, it seemed Nintendo as a whole was fully on board with Other M in marketing and presentation. At least that's the feel I got.

yeah its almost impressive isnt it? like there's always a pretty substantial "but" you have to cover with any praise you might want to give it.

the moment to monent gameplay is relatively entertaining because the atmosphere is good...but having to control everything with just the wiiremote so you cant use an analogue stick sucks! the boss fights are kinda cool and satisfying, but having to switch between sideways wiimote and first person mode is clunky as hell.

not a single thing fully lands.

Yeah, that's basically it. Every single good thing the game could do comes with a lot of shit thrown in. Absolutely nothing ends up working out.

I’m so thankful I wasn’t a fan when other m was coming out, because like you pointed out, it literally sounds GOAT-tier masterpiece…. On paper. The hype had to have been so high, it’s just a huge monkey paw.
The game came out like 3 days later in Europe than it did in the US. Those 3 days before I got the game were brutal, with US players actually discovering how bad the game was before I got to play it. The entire discourse made a sharp turn that was incredible to go through.

Absolutely hilarious lmao.

and yet it's still a great video game.

I absolutely 100%'d this at launch and had a phenomenal time, but I couldn't have told you anything from the OP. Full brain purge on the story

Last edited:
Melissa Brain was where I checked out. I know she's supposed to be a dark mirror of what Samus is going through but she's just so bloody silly.

Absolutely hilarious lmao.

and yet it's still a great video game.

I absolutely 100%'d this at launch and had a phenomenal time, but I couldn't have told you anything from the OP. Full brain purge on the story

Exact same here. 100% when it released and yet I couldn't name any story beats beyond the do you remember me meme. From a gameplay perspective the only part I didn't like were the pixel hunts

Other M isn't after Fusion though. As for the shooting in the back, Adam tells you exactly why he does it - whoever goes in there is going to die, and Samus is worth more to the galaxy than he is. It's not subtext there, that's just text.
Sorry, after Super. But yeah Adam def committing suicide since Samus would have been able to handle it.

That video about the translation is mostly inaccurate. They make a lot of stuff up from whole cloth from my understanding.

Well yeah, it's suicide, but the motivation couldn't have been any more different than you described.

One of Samus' big fallings out with him is when he sacrificed his brother to save the platoon. She wanted to save him but was overruled, which made her even more alienated. Then, when it came to it he sacrificed himself to save her, showing that not only did he actually value her and when it came to the crunch he valued her life more than his own. It's the emotional crux of this (admittedly batshit) story

Back
Top Bottom