• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Why do Disney and Nick child stars go crazy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MagiCarbo

Bob-omb
The Disney Channel and Nickelodeon from the early 2000s to the early 2010s were famous for launching the careers of countless young actors. But a recurring trend among this was the amount of stars who had either gone insane or at the very least, had become traumatized from acting. Miley Cyrus, Vanessa Hudgens, Demi Livato, Britney Spears, Drake Bell, Janette McCurdy, among others, have all either expressed discomfort from their child star years, or have been the subject of multiple controversies.

But when you look outside Nick and Disney, there's plenty of young actors who grew into relatively well adjusted adults. Of course, there are also plenty of instances of downfall there as well. With that said, why are all the most infamous child star downfalls heavily associated with either Nick or Disney? I think in Dinsey's case at least, the stars of Disney Channel always felt like they were marketed as products, not actors or you know, human beings with human emotions. Look at any Disney Channel show from its peak, and you can see that they all feel heavily calculated and controlled. Everyone feels like they were specifically coordinated to portray a personality or a brand that would attract the most children.

Of course, there was also the fact that every star suddenly had a music career, or a clothing line, or whatever market research decided to force those kids to do. Hollywood isn't known for giving their actors the best treatment, but at least with adults, or other child actors, they're seen more like just normal people who happen to act. But for Disney Channel, every star on that network always felt like they were engineered behind the scenes by executives to create the perfect image of what parents want their kids to watch, then exploit that fake image as much as humanly possible.

I'd probably be careful how you phrase the title, OP. While I don't think you meant any harm by it, incredibly important given the seriousness of this.

That said, I think Brock hit the nail on this. Beyond just this, incredibly high pressure from both internal and external parties, including the public and many of them never really get a chance to be themselves as a result of having to grow around the entertainment industry.

Because they were surrounded 24/7 by people who wanted to exploit them, rape them, or both, at an age where the default mindset is 'the adults are doing everything right so I might as well go with it'.

Also, calling them 'crazy' is such a fucking insult to all the people who have been abused, as if their erratic behavior was self inflicted.

When framing a discussion around sensitive subject matter, please aim to avoid tactlessly approaching the inherent difficulty and severity of abuse / childhood trauma, through the use of terms such as "crazy", or "insane". The subject matter of this thread is permitted on the board, but please seek to approach such topics with the appropriate sensitivity. That being said, this question has been sufficiently answered, so we're locking this thread.

- Aurc, BozPaggs, hologram, paranoodle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom