• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Who's the best Splatoon idol group?

Who's the best Splatoon idol group?

• Squid Sisters

Votes: 29 22.8%
  • Off the Hook

Votes: 88 69.3%
  • Deep Cut

Votes: 10 7.9%

• Total voters

Mina

Famicom Detective
Pronouns
She/They
I've seen the idea of this Splatfest thrown around, and it got me wondering, who actually is the most popular idol group? What say you, Fami?
1164px-Callie_and_Marie.png

1094px-Splatoon_2_-_Off_the_Hook_2D.png

S3_Deep_Cut_Artwork_transparent.png

there’s an objectively correct answer here and everyone has gotten it right so far

edit: nvm

The Big Man - Squid Sisters Collab is peak, but Off the Hook is probably the strongest official group. Fly Octo Fly is too good.

As of Side Order it's easily Off the Hook.

I kind of prefer Deep Cut as a group over Squid Sisters, but as individual characters I prefer Callie and Marie.

The Big Man - Squid Sisters Collab is peak, but Off the Hook is probably the strongest official group. Fly Octo Fly is too good.
When did Big Man collab with the Squid Sisters? The only collaboration I remember is with Ian BGM... :p

Much like you never forget your first Doctor, you never forget your first idol group. And for me that was Off The Hook.
Now and forever!

Off the Hook > Deep Cut >>>>>>>>>>>> Squid Sisters

Sorry y'all. They're the OGs but the Squid Sisters are mid. They are not good enough to be the driving force behind three Splatoon campaigns. Off the Hook clears, forever and always.

Still bitter OTH were relegated to an expansion that has like no plot in it

Off the Hook had the most screen time to develop so they are my faves. Squid Sisters and Deep cut are kinda even. I guess the sisters had more development and have better music tracks, but i love the idea of big man (and just non ink/octoling band members a lot)

Off the Hook all day, every day, and I'm glad most of you understand this. Nervous inventor DJ who defected from the military and her rapping gremlin girlfriend are a brilliant combination.

Deep Cut needed more to do in the single player campaign, but I vibe with them. They have that Team Rocket energy and a nice sense of style.

Squid Sisters are last, but I wholly respect the OGs. (I regret not being Team Callie back in the day. Took me too long to realize she was the superior of the two, and I apologize for this.)

I'd definitely say Squid Sisters myself. They're two very simple characters that contrasted well in the first game, perfectly codifying the role of the idols. Since then they've benefitted greatly from their background roles and have been allowed to converge slightly: Callie is a bit more snide and cynical while Marie has become more amiable, changes attributable to both age and story events. They are the perfect execution of what I perceive as Nogami's enduring vision of game characters that grow and change in the background with each game serving as a sample of their progress.

Off the Hook is the obvious favorite, and I'd consider their dynamic with one another to be the best in the series. However, I personally prefer the simpler flavors of the Squid Sisters, especially for their role in the game.

Deep Cut is a fucking mess. I appreciate a few of the ideas on display, such as the allusions to real world multiculturalism as well as the in-universe portrayal of Octolings not subjugated by war, but as characters they really fell flat in the launch story and incidental dialogue. Recently they've developed two trends that I find interesting and entertaining: first, that the cold, aloof, and outwardly demeaning Shiver evidently doesn't have anything in her life besides the group and is accordingly actually beholden to their affection; and second, that the often disrespected Big Man is in fact being worn down by his overbearing partners and would very much like some alone time. I may be mistaken but I didn't notice these traits being established early on, so I appreciate that they are developing the characters through the Splatfests even if the Splatfests themselves are worse for having been led by a group of three.

It's Off the Hook by, like, five country miles.

Screenshot-2024-02-26-214646.png

As far as I'm concerned, Marina is straight up one of the coolest Nintendo characters ever.

Screenshot-2024-02-26-214611.png

Off the Hook but the Squid Sisters are really nostalgic for me as they feel emblematic of the good parts of the Wii U era.

I don't care for Deep Cut whatsoever.

Pearl and Frye drag their groups down hugely.

Marina almost holds off the hook up single handedly so I can understand why people would vote for them though.

The real answer is Ian BGM +Squid sisters.

Deep cut kind of got screwed in not being the focus in either the main game campaign where they were second fiddle to the squid sisters and Calamari incantation got to be the finale song again, or the DLC which focused on off the hook and didnt even include them, meaning the previous two idol groups usurped them both, so they've never even really had a shot.

Off the Hook is by far the best. Best designs, best music, best personalities.

Deep Cut is terrible. Nothing appealing at all.

Pearl and Frye drag their groups down hugely.

Marina almost holds off the hook up single handedly so I can understand why people would vote for them though.

The real answer is Ian BGM +Squid sisters
Why would the two best members of their respective groups drag them down? That's silly.

I voted Off the Hook purely because Pearl is my favorite Splatoon character bar none. This is gonna sound vapid, ridiculous, baffling, whatever, I understand and accept it, but I don't like Marina purely because I hate when characters have upturned eyebrows like hers.

How does Pearl and Frye drag their groups down?

By being annoying little shits, lol.

Pearl is a handed everything rich kid whose only other defining character trait is being able to screech on such a level that it is literally dangerous to people and things around them, who somehow is apparently deserving of the affection of the hardest working character in the lore who had to work for literally everything they have which makes no sense on any level.

Frye keeps putting big man down, the next hardest worker as far as the characters we have had described go, and literally yells at him for trying to make more friends, and for that she can get in the sea forever.

Off the Hook > Squid Sisters > Deep Cut. Honestly, the only possible improvement is having Callie, Marina and Big Man in a single group.

Off the Hook is my favorite as a group based on personalities and story involvement (the queerness helps, too, lol), but I still appreciate Big Man the most as an individual for actually being something different for a change. Hopefully the next group mixes it up even more, because even though they all have their own personalities and designs and all, I’m sick of these groups always consisting of idol girls. Do something, anything else, like a boy band! Or give us one fucking boy (or non-binary!) idol in one game at the very least. Or just ditch the whole idol thing entirely and go with a different angle for the game’s hosts! Big Man was cool because he was finally something different, but in the end he’s just kinda tacked onto yet another idol girl duo and he doesn’t even really get to do as much as Shiver and Frye either, so it’s still kinda disappointing.

By being annoying little shits, lol.

Pearl is a handed everything rich kid whose only other defining character trait is being able to screech on such a level that it is literally dangerous to people and things around them, who somehow is apparently deserving of the affection of the hardest working character in the lore who had to work for literally everything they have which makes no sense on any level.

Frye keeps putting big man down, the next hardest worker as far as the characters we have had described go, and literally yells at him for trying to make more friends, and for that she can get in the sea forever.
I heavily disagree with both those takes, but you do you. I especially don't understand the notion that just because she's a rich kid with a good heart means that she doesn't deserve Marina.

Unfair to do create this thread after Side Order, but:

The ranking goes Marina > Callie > Pearl > Marie > Fry > Big Man > Shiver.

In sum total this comes out as Off the Hook in first place, Squid Sisters a close second, and Deep Cut the definitive third.

However, the concert I'd most want to attend would have Squid Sisters as the main act, Off the Hook as the support act and Deep Cut as special guest on stage for one or two songs.

Recency bias is going to push Off the Hook here, but even without that, they have far and away the most story and lore. They have two story modes, both of which released to acclaim, and which I like, Octo Expansion being one of the best bits of gameplay in any game I've experienced. That's all gonna colour my view of them.

I will say, after Side Order I certainly like Pearl an awful lot more... Marina less so, for various reasons.

Recency bias is going to push Off the Hook here, but even without that, they have far and away the most story and lore. They have two story modes, both of which released to acclaim, and which I like, Octo Expansion being one of the best bits of gameplay in any game I've experienced. That's all gonna colour my view of them.

I will say, after Side Order I certainly like Pearl an awful lot more... Marina less so, for various reasons.
What made you like Marina less?

What made you like Marina less?
Spoilers:

She comes across as an irresponsible dolt. She creates a consciousness then does nothing but watch her friend beat it up instead of tackling the problem she created herself. The whole thing is her fault, she designed the whole thing, Order-Smollusk comes from HER thoughts, and her systems, and she treats it with nothing but contempt and confusion.

The story makes her intelligent enough to make the Order Sector but suddenly too dumb to deal with it. She would have been more likeable if she was the out and out villain, trying to do "the right thing" in her eyes and being foiled every time.

Her character is twisted, stretched and has holes poked in it for the sake of contriving a story, and it makes her come across as ineffectual at best, all while providing a bad (relative to Octo Expansion) story.

Off the Hook > Deep Cut >>>>>>>>>>>> Squid Sisters

Sorry y'all. They're the OGs but the Squid Sisters are mid. They are not good enough to be the driving force behind three Splatoon campaigns. Off the Hook clears, forever and always.

Still bitter OTH were relegated to an expansion that has like no plot in it
I mean, I’ll take the four hours of Off the Hook flirting with each other in an elevator while Acht and Eight get increasingly uncomfortable over the rather minor roles Deep Cut for in their main campaign.

Also I am really biased on how much I love that Deep Cut was basically two lesbians flirt in an elevator to the increasing discomfort of everyone else there

The Splatoon 3 ones. I never played their game and will not be playing it, but the yellow one's huge forehead draws me so.

Squid Sisters all day every day. Anyone who says otherwise started the series with 2 and doesn’t get it.

As characters, Off the Hook pretty easily. But as a group, Deep Cut kicks ass. Love their vibe, they fit in so well with the wholesome anarchy theme Splatoon 3 has. Hopefully they get some legit story DLC in Splatoon 4, they deserved so much better than just being relegated as side characters.

Squid Sisters, meh. They’re fine, but they lose out in both departments.

Spoilers:

She comes across as an irresponsible dolt. She creates a consciousness then does nothing but watch her friend beat it up instead of tackling the problem she created herself. The whole thing is her fault, she designed the whole thing, Order-Smollusk comes from HER thoughts, and her systems, and she treats it with nothing but contempt and confusion.

The story makes her intelligent enough to make the Order Sector but suddenly too dumb to deal with it. She would have been more likeable if she was the out and out villain, trying to do "the right thing" in her eyes and being foiled every time.

Her character is twisted, stretched and has holes poked in it for the sake of contriving a story, and it makes her come across as ineffectual at best, all while providing a bad (relative to Octo Expansion) story.
While I disagree with your overall argument, I do somewhat understand your point. I wish she got to do more in the story. I will say that her observations/perceptions on her creations(Smollusk in particular) is based on caution rather than contempt. I would also say her strugglinf to quickly solve the problem is not through a lack of intelligence. That whole thing happened through unforseen circumstances.

"Fly Octo Fly" and "Nasty Majesty" have yet to be topped. Alongside Pearl's iconic song '$@%* Dudes Be #$@%* Sleepin'

it's absolutely the Squid Sisters.
Pearl from Off the Hook is a horrible little gremlin paired with the lovely Marina, and Big Man is the sole good element of Deep Cut which the rest of the group canonically treats like garbage.

i was actually very close to doing a thread on that song when it first debuted, portraying it as a big in-universe scandal. but i decided against it.

While I disagree with your overall argument, I do somewhat understand your point. I wish she got to do more in the story. I will say that her observations/perceptions on her creations(Smollusk in particular) is based on caution rather than contempt. I would also say her strugglinf to quickly solve the problem is not through a lack of intelligence. That whole thing happened through unforseen circumstances.
That's the problem though.
SHE created the circumstances! Unforseen WHAT?! When you create things they come into existence! She should have known better!

SHE CREATED ARTIFICIAL LIFE. For what seems to be the first time since the end of humanity! And what does she do?! She sicks her girlfriend and their third wheel on it! I don't like that characterization! I don't like that one bit!

Pearl from Off the Hook is a horrible little gremlin paired with the lovely Marina, and Big Man is the sole good element of Deep Cut which the rest of the group canonically treats like garbage.

i was actually very close to doing a thread on that song when it first debuted, portraying it as a big in-universe scandal. but i decided against it.

How DARE you insult Frye and Pearl like that! Frye does exactly what Big Man deserves, the nepo baby bourgeoisie, woe is him!

KICK HIM AGAIN FRYE.

This is but a jest, worry ye not.

That's the problem though.
SHE created the circumstances! Unforseen WHAT?! When you create things they come into existence! She should have known better!

SHE CREATED ARTIFICIAL LIFE. For what seems to be the first time since the end of humanity! And what does she do?! She sicks her girlfriend and their third wheel on it! I don't like that characterization! I don't like that one bit!
The unforseen circumstance is the fact that the AI grew a will of its own, and became so obsessed with world order that it became overly hostile and try to assimilate all living beings into a reality where there's no "conflict"(aka no free thought of one's own). The original intention of the Memverse(which is called the Order Sector now) was to cure Octarians/Octolings like Acht of their sanitization, not whatever the Order was trying the accomplish. It was getting pretty obvious that the situation was getting too big for her to handle on her own. Plus, Pearl and Agent 8 was dragged into that virtual space by the Order's influence(which when you think about it speaks about its power when it drag just about anybody from the real world into its domain), so they was gonna get involved in dealing with the Order whether Marina wanted to deal with it herself or not. The only thing I wish is that she was a bit more involved when it came to the final boss.

OBJECTION! If you truly paid attention to canon, you'd know that Big Man both arranged and wrote the song, as he does for most of Deep Cut's music. Therefore...

BIG MAN WROTE HIS OWN DISS TRACK. To use this as proof that Shiver and Frye are terrible friends is misguided at best and slander at worst!

Big Man feeling so guilty about not telling the others about the collab that he preemptively wrote a diss track for the others to scream at him is hilarious, and another reason why Deep Cut is so fun.

I wish she got to do more in the story.

I mean, the elevator conversations adress this point. Marina is constantly on her laptop because she has to keep Order from over-writing her hacks. Without Marina, Agent 8 would die much more easily and Pearl wouldn't be a powerful combat drone. And in the grand finale it's her who summons the DJ table and sound equipment the group needs to defeat Order with the power of music, which is all the idols have ever done.

I don't think you even have to have played a Splatoon game to guess Off the Hook would annihilate this poll lmao.

OBJECTION! If you truly paid attention to canon, you'd know that Big Man both arranged and wrote the song, as he does for most of Deep Cut's music. Therefore...

BIG MAN WROTE HIS OWN DISS TRACK. To use this as proof that Shiver and Frye are terrible friends is misguided at best and slander at worst!

Big Man feeling so guilty about not telling the others about the collab that he preemptively wrote a diss track for the others to scream at him is hilarious, and another reason why Deep Cut is so fun.
he's a producer, I don't think he wrote the lyrics

this implies that his partners asked that he write an aggressive-sounding beat and shit on him with it which imo is just as funny but does feed into my punished big man interpretation of the characters

Pearl from Off the Hook is a horrible little gremlin paired with the lovely Marina,
You say it like it's a bad thing.

Anyway, it's Off the Hook > Squid Sisters > Deep Cut for me.

And I haven't even played Side Order yet. I love Pearl and Marina's design and personality, and the way they play off each other.

Even though I missed out on Splatoon 1, the Squid Sisters also have really grown on me over the years, mostly for the same reasons I love Off the Hook.

Deep Cut is nice, but I find their design very mid, especially considering their anarchy theme. Even Big Man, who from a design stand-point is the most original-looking character, doesn't quite pop up as much as the precious idols to me. But the real tragedy is how we were robbed of Goth Shiver. Seriously. Just look at this concept art:

v9bgRNU.jpg

Oh, what could have been.

Back
Top Bottom