• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club Who should be Nintendogs next newcomer?

Who should get into Nintendogs?

• Bees 🐝

• Bunnies 🐇

• Chickens 🐔

• Ducks 🦆

• Ferrets 🐍🐈

• Fish 🐟

• Frogs 🐸

• Geese 𓅬

• Goats 🐐

• Hamsters 🐹

• Hedgehogs 🦔

• Parrots 🦜

• Pigs 🐖

• Plants 🪴

• Ponies 🦄

• Raccoons 🦝

• Reptiles 🐍

• Swans 🦢

• Yeast 🍄

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Yzz

Like Like
Pronouns
She/Her
It's been more than ten years after Nintendogs introduced cats back in the 3DS days, which has sparked discussion about how can Hideki Konno, Nintendogs creative director, can top this megaton addition to the roster. Unless you have been living under a rock, there is no doubt that the most popular candidate are ponies, which are an animal with mass market appeal and a very passionate fanbase. Some Nintendogs fans have expressed interest in the addition of full-fledged horses, however it is believed that said animals would be too big for the game.

The case of Nintendogs + Goats
Just like horses / ponies, many Nintendogs fans believe that goats have a big chance of getting in due to the zodiac theory, which claims that Konno wants every of sign of the Chinese zodiac represented. Although the zodiac theory has been 100% accurate so far, some believe that goats aren't getting in the game due to their association to Valve, one of Nintendo's biggest competitors.

Goats have had terrible representation in Nintendo systems, with only one Goat Simulator game in the Switch so far. As you may know, Goat Simulator started on Valve hardware and the series has always had a strong brand association to Steam. To add salt to the wound, many are concerned that the rest of the Goat Simulator series isn't coming to Switch, with the third game skipping Nintendo's console last fall. This has led to speculation that Valve is moneyhatting Goat Simulator 2 and 3 to stay out of Nintendo's portable systems, since Goat Simulator was a massive system seller for the Steam Deck.

There has been some hope for goats however, because Stray also skipped Nintendo systems, yet cats aren't going anywhere. It is also worth noticing that cats have always had a strong brand association with PlayStation, with the species even making a cameo on the XMB interface of all places. This could disprove the theory that Nintendo only adds animals that are associated to their hardware.

The Waterfowl Trinity
Supporters of the hardware theory believe that the next Nintendogs newcomer could be geese, since that species has had flawless assistance in Nintendo hardware. The animal had its Fire Emblem Awakening moment with Untitled Goose Game on the Switch. Konno getting giddy about said game in his social media has only added fuel to the fire.

maxresdefault.jpg

Just like hedgehogs, geese have had a tremendous presence on Nintendo hardware

Last September, a reliable leaker claimed that not only geese are getting into Nintendogs, but also ducks and swans. This has been huge for the Nintendogs community because people had been asking for the inclusion of these birds since the DS days, with Goose and Swan being a dream matchup almost on the level of Cat and Dog. Despite all the excitement, there has been debate about whether swans should be an echo pet of geese or a full-flegded pet, with one side arguing that the devs shouldn't waste resources on more bird pets, while the other side claiming that swans are different enough from geese and worthy enough to be its own pet.

Bees
There is strong evidence that bees where planned for Nintendogs + Cats, but were cut at some point in development, most likely because the 3DS hardware limitations. Bees have always been a popular choice due to being not only an invertebrate rep, but also due to their interesting social structure.

Concerns have been raised about whether the Switch is powerful enough to handle bees. Many have pointed towards Pikmin 3's Scornet Maestro which is a masterful showcase of the hardware rendering a swarm of bees. Digital Foundry also has directed praise at the bees in Switch titles such as those in Animal Crossing New Horizons and Super Mario 3D World. However others have cited Pokémon Legends Arceus and Pokémon Scarlet / Violet as proof that the Switch isn't powerful enough for bees, since Combee and Vespiquen are known to make the framerate tank on those games.

339151-mariogalaxy_00143.jpg

Even ancient hardware like the Wii could handle bees with proper optimization

Due to the Switch hardware struggling with bees, some have proposed that bees should be reserved for Nintendogs installment in the Switch successor. Ants have been suggested as an alternative to bees since they are also social invertebrates and are very framerate friendly, unfortunately they don't hold the same legacy that bees have.

Hardware issues aside, the inclusion of bees has met resistance in many groups, most notably in gen z circles where these insects are barely known. The inclusion of bees in "Most wanted Nintendogs newcomer" lists and polls is usually followed by "who tf is that?" comments, sometimes calling bee fans boomers or senior citizens. Bee critics argue that Nintendo shouldn't add an animal that is losing relevance all around the world.

Other organisms
Ever since the DS days Nintendogs fans have joked about the inclusion of plants in the series. Although many of the 'rules' for Nintendogs characters are made up, Konno has explicitly claimed that Nintendogs is a hall of fame for Animalia, which has killed every hope for plants, yeast, and other influential organisms to get into Nintendogs. This hasn't stopped some people though, as whenever Nintendo holds a ballot many have taken the opportunity to vouch for the inclusion of plants. Although this can be interpreted as trolling, some genuinely believe that there is a minuscule chance that Nintendo adds plants to Nintendogs, as such announcement would make social media explode.

Ferrets and raccoons have been popular choices over the years, as they seem to fit very well the gameplay and aesthetic of Nintendogs. However when cats were announced, many raged at the fact that yet another placental carnivore was added to the roster. Raccoons and ferrets stans are often bullied in social media by bigger fanbases who claim that those animals aren't as iconic as dogs or cats, and that there are too many placental carnivores in the game already. Due to the backlash that the inclusion of raccoons and/or ferrets would provoke, some have suggested that said animals should be added as an echo of dog.

The idea of slugs and snails in Nintendogs has gained some traction over the years, particularly in Japan. Gastropods would be a mollusk rep, which is the second largest phylum of animals after anthropods. Snails / Slugs proponents argue that gastropods, unlike insects, have remained mostly the same since the Cambrian explosion and have spread to every single biome along the way. It is also believed that the first animal to venture in land was a gastropod. The claim that snails are the ultimate life-form has made people vouch for the inclusion of the extinct trilobites, which achieved a worldwide domination that no other animal has ever matched, therefore making them the most influential animal in natural history.

What pet or echo do you want to get added to the inevitable Nintendogs game on Switch?

Here's mine:
yV0v8g6.png

I respect the amount of effort put into this shitpost haha. Especially since it’s animal-themed.

As for what furry critter I want for the next Nintenpet, well… <points to avatar pic>

Aside from that I think a Nintenquarium holds a lot of promise. Take care of everything from crabs to koi to axolotls.

Extremely shocked to see bunnies leading

Thought this site was all about raccoons and their cousins

finally a thread to sink my teeth into
if I go with my heart, Nintenowls or Nintendbirds. I really think that fun lil animations with birds could be fun. However water fowl and I have a mortal rivalry that I suspect fully transcend digital boundaries, so I'd have to ask for Parrots or Macaws and such.
Raccoons are my backup choice! I love those lil guys.
Ninsects are my final Hail Mary. A chance for me to finally take care of digital moths.
Curious to see where this thread goes.

Pfft, everyone knows capybaras are the real craze these days. Hot spring-soaking rodents (imagine the hot spring vacation DLCs!) with their giant squareish forms and generally amiable dispositions, beloved by human and critter alike, these generally gentle giants would settle right in at your local Nintendomicile.Be warned, though, while your loveable capybara might make for a good pet, not everyone is likely to make for a good caretaker.

I respect the amount of effort put into this shitpost haha. Especially since it’s animal-themed.
Are we flinging this crap now? Do I sense a vote for monkeys?

Our favorite monkeys have been withheld from the roster for too long now. They've more than earned their place.

Their moveset and mechanics could even allow them to lend a hand around the nintendomicile if properly trained.

I want some smart animals. Cats were cute but too dum dum. I want someone who'd engage with smart activities like painting or playing with building blocks.

Elephants! With that trunk they'd be capable of crazy amount of mini games. Also they'd let me wash them with a joycon/touch screen controlled hose!

can't wait for the psych out reveal trailer of bees in an assumed mario galaxy 3 trailer that turns out to be nintendogcats + bees

Back
Top Bottom