• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Predictions Which Pokemon Are Going to Be The Starters For Pokemon Legends Z-A

SpaceGodzilla

Did You Get that Thing I Sent You?
Pronouns
him
this is going to be interesting since when Legends 1 was announced we got the starters right off the bat, but we got nothing this time, so now it's time for some fun, not heated discussions and predictions of which staters will it be for Z-A

Let me swim in the Seine with my Cirque du Soleil seal, Game Freak.

Wait, what do you mean Cirque du Soleil is from Quebec?

Yeah I would be surprised if we didn't get Penguin Napoleon and the Snake French Aristocrat. Maybe Mega Serperior will get his legs back lmao.

I think it will just be the Kalos starters so they can focus on bond phenomenon as a storyline with them. They'll bring back Ash-Greninja for this as well as making bond forms for Delphox and Chesnaught

It'll be 3 that don't have megas, so we can rule out gens 1, 3, and greninja. I think we can also dismiss the other two gen 6 starters just going off how LA didn't have any gen 4 starters available to be a starter.

My guesses will be

Gen 2: Chikorita
Gen 5: Tepig
Gen 8: Sobble

Snivy (most confident)
Poplio (mediumest-confident
Chimchar (least confident)

e: wait, just remembered Piplup turns into a Napoleon reference, so that's an obvious Water choice. Doubt they'd do 2 Sinnoh starters, so swap Chimchar out for... maybe Scorbunny? (I'm kinda assuming all the starters will be ones that currently lack mega evolutions, so Torchic is probably out; otherwise it 'dfeels kinda likely given the way they treated as almost a "3rd fire starter" in XY with the early giveaway+Mega Blaziken)

Last edited:
someone brought this up. A hint maybe?
1709138357744485.png

My pick is Sobble, Torchic and Snivy. I think everyone is super confidant Snivy will be in only for GF to throw a curve and pick Chikorita 😅.

Sobble fits cause Inteleon has the vibes that fit the scenery, Snivy has that royal aspect and I was debating between Torchic or Chimchar, but Torchic feels like the right choice😅

Gen 6 starters never got megas so I don't think it's necessary to swap them out this time. Plus it's not a new settlement in uncharted lands so no reason to import them anyway; the Kalos starters should be well established in the game's setting already

1709138357744485.png
It'd be weird for Blaziken to get a new regional form when it was already had a notable presence in Kalos, and it'd also be weird for one starter to have an existing mega while the other two get fancy new ones.

I think not, but I do expect Torchic to be around in some capacity.

Going with

Chikorita
Piplup
Scorbunny

I got my favourite starter in Rowlet last time so this time it's time for my second favourite Chikorita to shine!

Piplup and Snivy are hard locks. Piplup literally turns into a Pokémon named after Napoleon, and Snivy is a smug jerk so they’re already tailor-made for a stereotypical France setting. The Fire-type starter is harder to determine, but I think it’ll come down to Torchic Litten or Scorbunny.

Honestly the more interesting question to me is gonna be regional variants. I’m hoping for Kalosian forms of Mr. Mime (Monsieur Mime) who wears a striped shirt and smokes a long cigarette, Rattata who has a chef’s hat and is named Rattata-ouille, Fidough who is very long and is a baguette, and of course, a painting Dusknoir named Duskrenoir.

Piplup and Snivy are hard locks. Piplup literally turns into a Pokémon named after Napoleon, and Snivy is a smug jerk so they’re already tailor-made for a stereotypical France setting. The Fire-type starter is harder to determine, but I think it’ll come down to Torchic Litten or Scorbunny.

Honestly the more interesting question to me is gonna be regional variants. I’m hoping for Kalosian forms of Mr. Mime (Monsieur Mime) who wears a striped shirt and smokes a long cigarette, Rattata who has a chef’s hat and is named Rattata-ouille, Fidough who is very long and is a baguette, and of course, a painting Dusknoir named Duskrenoir.
Snivy's also apparently based on a character from the manga The Rose of Versailles (set in the French Revolution), and its final evolution has a fleur-de-lis on its chest and may be referencing King Louis XIV's title of Sun King in its pokedex entries

It's so aggressively French I sometimes have to remind myself it's actually from Gen 5

1709138357744485.png
This actually seems like a reasonable bet. Aside from the regional connections, all three of these are fairly popular starters.

It'd be weird for Blaziken to get a new regional form when it was already had a notable presence in Kalos, and it'd also be weird for one starter to have an existing mega while the other two get fancy new ones.

I think not, but I do expect Torchic to be around in some capacity.
Well Blaziken is one of the most popular starters. And this would be an opportunity to add a "Mega Blaziken Z"...

Piplup and Snivy seem like reasonable choices to me as well, for reasons others have already elaborated on above.
As for the fire starter, many may not want to hear it but I think the possibility of promoting Mega Charizard Z may put Charmander on the menu.
If not Charmander then maybe Torchic. Perhaps they'd give Blaziken a Z-Mega evolution.

I think all 3 will get new Megas so as such

Chikorita
Tepig
Piplup

Even tho Chikorita and Tepig would be a double up on Gen 2 & 5 (from Legends Arceus), those are the two gens that need to be rolled back to for visits

I know absolutely nothing about France, but I've seen various Japanese Movies set in Paris, and thus I am going to guess.

Chimchar - Patissier themed.
Treecko - Chevalier themed.
Sobble - Lupin reference.

Trust the 10+ years plus of media consumption.

Snivy, Piplup (the 2 most popular picks it seems) and Scorbunny, rather than say Litten or Chimchar. French like soccer too and there's quite a few French breeds and Folklore.

Thing is all 3 of these are already obvious France picks. It might make more sense to pick something thats specifically not French and add the french/paris redevelopment period references in to the design. Not that these couldn't be double frenchfried with new archetypes.

I've seen people saying its too soon for gen 8 starters but Legends Arceus had Rowlet at the time so... I don't think thats right.

Guess I'll theorycraft cause its fun

Snivy: Grass/steel/rock: La Gargouille (snake to serpent/dragon/bat gargoyle seems reasonable?), might even get a Notredam vibe in it.

stats: 75/100/90/67/85/111

1 New move: Stone storm (or steel storm), 100 atk, physical, 100 acc, lowers Atk by 1, Increases defense. (might be bad in game without the hidden ability?)

New ability : Hardening Scales: each time a stat is lowered, that stat is reduced by 1 less, also gets +1 defense. (eg leaf storm, s.atk -1, def +1, stone storm is just +2 defense).

Could be bulky but that doesn't really help its poor mid defense being melted. I wonder how cracked body press would be?

2 Piplup: Water/Fighting, Lancelotesque archetype added to the napoleon thing, straight up give it a lance from its wing, why not.

stats: 84/106/88/86/97/71

New move: Gallant lance: "slash" attack priority +1, 50 atk physc, fighting, doesn't connect, does half damage through protect/detect.

New ability: just sharpness,

Bulky and strong enough immediate strength. With Roost it could be fun to pressure defensive mons.

3 Scorbunny: Fire/Dark, Yeah Arsene Lupin, what else could it be? Little charming robber lop bun, that does some soccer on the side. Bonus points or flaming Monacle. Might even get some Loup, were-rabbit stuff in too, with some horned hare stuff to look a little "dark".

stats: 80/80/75/106/75/114 (Cinderace was so hyper-optimized for a starter I ended up nerfing it).

New move: Mug shot, shoots a dark energy ball that switches the user's item. Atk 50, special dark. (straight boost to switcheroo). Will be fun to choice band with. High skill ceiling.

New ability: Disguise, pre-nerfed Libero, but maintains the dark type when it changes type. Having an obvious fairy/fighting weakness should be a decent alternative nerf to being stuck with only 1 change per switch.

Could keep court change for utility. Locking foes with choice band and switching with U-turn to come in later to help clean up is nice. The lower power limits it from being very overwhelming like old Cinderace though. Not a lot of synergy, keeping the multi-change libero is better for offense rather than utility, especially since it will have consistent weaknesses.

Back
Top Bottom