• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Which option do you primarily choose for original monochrome Game Boy games?

• Thread starter Deleted member 5862
  • Start date

Which option do you primarily choose for original monochrome Game Boy games?

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 5862

Simple question. This is about playing original, fully monochrome Game Boy games that don’t have any additional palettes or display options built in.

How do you primarily choose to play today, when given the option through NSO, Virtual Console, or other emulation?

Didn’t want to overcomplicate it by getting too granular with breaking out all of the possibilities under “other”, or getting into filters or anything.

The spirit of the question is more about the green vs. black & white divide, with “other” only included for people that truly don’t use either option.

I have no nostalgia for the ol' Game Boy brick, so I've always gone black-and-white whenever I touch those games. Green just feels weird to me.

Black and white for me. Today, I play on an IPs modded DMG or Game Boy Pocket, or Analogue Pocket. I suppose “Other” could be Super Game Boy for applicable games.

Game Boy Pocket was my first Nintendo handheld. Black and white seemed to be what was intended with green being more of a limitation of the screen Nintendo originally used.

Black and white is my go to choice even though I had an old brick Game Boy. The green just does not look good on modern screens.

I had a GB at the time, but prefer black and white. I just find it easier to tell what is what.

Depends on the game, really.

Some games up to the GB Pocket's release seemed to be designed with the og DMG's low refresh rate screen in mind, there were certain tricks like fake transparencies that used them pretty well. For those games, it's green+DMG blur emulation

For the rest, black and white.

The Game Boy Color had a bunch of built in palettes (4 colors for BG layers and 4 for sprite layers, iirc) to colorize OG Gameboy games with. You could choose one at boot with a button combo, or let the console default to one, with some specific games having predetermined defaults, and the rest going with the first one.

I choose the default one.

Black and white is pretty close to a gb pocket, right? That was my first game boy.
It depends on where you’re playing the game, but yes, the Game Boy Pocket palette is one of the ones I count as being black & white.

In the NSO emulator, the black & white option is explicitly labeled as the Game Boy Pocket palette, where it’s all shades of gray, and the brightest color is a light gray. It’s a dull palette that I find easy on the eyes.

In something like Collection of Mana, the black & white option is more truly black & white, where the lightest color is a bright white, and it’s all very high contrast. I find that to be a bit of an eyesore.

So I grew up with a Gameboy Color being my first Gameboy, so on NSO I use the GBC filter that adds some color to the game's because that's how I remember these games looking

If I'm using an emulator that doesn't support the GBC look (probably user error, but I couldn't figure out how to do it in retroarch back in the day), I'll go with simple black and white; I've got not nostalgia whatsoever for the black and green and imo it's probably the ugliest way to play Gameboy games

The Game Boy Color had a bunch of built in palettes (4 colors for BG layers and 4 for sprite layers, iirc) to colorize OG Gameboy games with. You could choose one at boot with a button combo, or let the console default to one, with some specific games having predetermined defaults, and the rest going with the first one.

I choose the default one.
This is me. But if I had to choose between the other two, I prefer the green

Although I grew up with a Game Boy Color and not an original Game Boy or Pocket, I like choosing the black and white option when available (with the "classic feel" option turned on when applicable). It ends up looking the most "right" to me - not hard to look at, but not with distracting colors, either. For some games that have good default palettes, I can consider the color option, like with Kirby's Dream Land.

I don’t know how to vote. Green and black is my least favorite by far, but there are some games that won’t display properly any other way. Castlevania II Belmont’s Revenge had some transparency effects that work best on the original ghostly GB display or in really accurate emulation in the Crystal castle level. And then there’s the Collection of Mana, where as someone mentioned already the black and white is a contrasty eyesore because it wasn’t done right.

i also like using the unique “default” GBC palettes for some games like Metroid II which had unique palettes built into the GBC hardware.

so I get pretty granular even if I would say that I use black and white over half the time, leaving me unsure of how to vote

I generally prefer some form of color enhancement even if the game doesn't officially support it. I voted "other" but if I had to pick one of the two, black/white.

Black and white ends up looking a bit too stark, beige and boring for my liking, the Game Boy Color pallete’s never going to look as good as games designed natively for it… so yeah, going for the OG brick’s green palette here.

Controversial opinion, I know, but it’s neither horrible beige or horrible pastel shades (admittedly it’s horrible slightly blurry green, but it’s the best of a bad bunch)

I don’t know how to vote. Green and black is my least favorite by far, but there are some games that won’t display properly any other way. Castlevania II Belmont’s Revenge had some transparency effects that work best on the original ghostly GB display or in really accurate emulation in the Crystal castle level. And then there’s the Collection of Mana, where as someone mentioned already the black and white is a contrasty eyesore because it wasn’t done right.

i also like using the unique “default” GBC palettes for some games like Metroid II which had unique palettes built into the GBC hardware.

so I get pretty granular even if I would say that I use black and white over half the time, leaving me unsure of how to vote
What I meant by what you primarily choose is what you choose most often, or what you default to when you don’t have a specific reason to pick something else for an individual game.

I grew up with a Game Boy and as such, I have to have the green. Purely a nostalgia thing, of course, as I think the B&W looks much cleaner and overall better.

SGB pallete 1 (d pad down), (slight pale pink red/yellow and violet). It just pops.

If I can't I usually do a brown ish filter. And then BW>Green.

I know I've already said my piece but I want to chime in with something I notice.

When I play Game Boy games, even on Swirch... I kinda forget the colour isn't there? I know it's not there but when I'm absorbed in a game I stop noticing, I stop caring. I stick with GBC display mode and I think maybe the HINT of colour helps me forget even more. But I have Metroid 2 on the original Game Boy and it's perfectly playable, the lack of colour doesn't bother me.

I think it's the same with black and white films for me. When I sit down and watch them I find it takes a bit to get used to but once I do I stop noticing.

for me it depends on when I played those games

The Lion King- I played green so green feels right
Pokemon I played on GBC so it feels weird any other way

Analogue Pocket has incredible filters and I switch between them all

Back
Top Bottom