• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Which major 2D platformer series do you expect to make a comeback in 2023?

Select as many as you expect to see announced or released in 2023

• Total voters

Nabbit

Heading to Lorule? Rent your equipment here!
With 2D Mickey on the docket for the first time since the 3DS Epic Mickey game, it got me wondering what other 2D mascot series might see their grand return next year, whether it's announcement or release?

Feel free to select as many you realistically hope to see. Please share what you hope to see from the new entry or entries.

I left off anything that had a recent new mainline entry, my personal cutoff is 2018 here.

I understand SMM is considered mainline technically, but by 2D Mario here I mean the traditional Nintendo-designed games.

(I'm also excluding ports.)

It's way passed Donkey Kong's time.

Rayman too, but the best I can hope for that series at the moment is the TV show and a possible appearance in M+R SoH.

I don't consider Kirby a platformer, but we'll probably get a Kirby title of some sort. I think there is a good chance of either DK or Mario. But for some reason I have a hunch that the DK game is actually gonna be 3D.

If I were Nintendo, I’d really really really want a new 2D Mario game to launch alongside the movie.

Mario and DK are the safest bets. Yoshi doesn't seem too off the table, but it could just be a Wooly World port.

Like many others, I picked the safest bets which are Mario and Donkey Kong, even though I'd be open for some others like Rayman, as well as Wario (hopefully Waluigi gets to join this time!). For Yoshi though, if there were a port I think a Yoshi's New Island port would be interesting to see, since it's not a bad game and would be a different style of game from Crafted World.

Thank you for reading.

Wario is the only correct choice here, the rumours of a metroidvania-styled Wario Land 5 set the internet alight with anticipation and wonder.

Kirby has recently been a beneficiary of Nintendo's 2D evacuation programme, and I imagine Donkey Kong will be next.

New Cool Spot next year after they shadow drop Cool Spot: Refreshed and Remastered next week.

I voted 2D Mario, but could see a chance for DK or Wario as well. Mario Maker 2 will have been 4 years ago and Odyssey will have been 6 years ago, so it's time for a brand new mainline Mario to show up especially with the movie nearby.

Also thinking of EPD we will have gotten Splatoon 3 and BotW2 (if it sticks to spring 2023) along with Mario Kart being in DLC mode, so with them out of the way you'd think they would reveal the next "big" EPD game on the horizon around the time of E3, and groups 8 and 10 would be the most ready.

Last edited:
It’s Wario time

Wario Land 5. Maybe a remaster of Shake It! or Wario World. Something, anything. Wario needs to be seen in something besides Wario Ware.

Mario, DK, and experimental Kirby are the most likely.

I don't doubt that Capcom has plans for a Mega Man X project akin to MM11 but it's probably stuck in development hell at this point given they were teasing something a couple years back and it's been nothing but radio silence since then.

I'd love to see a new Wario game (NSMB2 should've been a Wario game) but I don't know if there's anyone at the company willing to champion a run at it.

Why the hell no Yoshi option in the poll?

Because, Yoshi. A triumphant 2D return of the series. More eggs, more babies (yes I want babies back). More monkeys and seagulls to swallow and more watermelon seeds to spit.

61v1jhTu9+L.jpg

as much as I want donkey Kong, Nintendo made its priorities clear when they completely ignored its 40th anniversary. I think we'll get a new 2D Mario in 2025 along with the switch 2

I feel like it must be time for a new Yoshi as well
I'd love that but I feel like Crafted World is still pretty recent. I also think Good-Feel is working on something else for their contract project so we may not see another traditional Yoshi for a bit.

Why the hell no Yoshi option in the poll?

Because, Yoshi. A triumphant 2D return of the series. More eggs, more babies (yes I want babies back). More monkeys and seagulls to swallow and more watermelon seeds to spit.
Oh, no Yoshi in the poll because in the OP I mentioned "I left off anything that had a recent new mainline entry, my personal cutoff is 2018 here." Crafted World is a mainline entry to me, same with Woolly. They follow a very similar structure and game design as the original series. But I'd love to see a new Yoshi and I legitimately loved Yoshi's Island DS so I'd be really psyched to see the babies back.

I'd love that but I feel like Crafted World is still pretty recent. I also think Good-Feel is working on something else for their contract project so we may not see another traditional Yoshi for a bit.
Seems they possibly have two teams now, the new team in Osaka who are making the Goemon-esque game (which I assume is a smaller self published game and their next original IP after Monkey Barrels) and the Yoshi team, so possibly both on the way. Crafted World was the beginning of Y2 of the Switch so I'd say it's not that recent but the pandemic obviously would affect that

We're due another Donkey Kong game, but I would love to see a new 2D Mario expand on the gameplay of the US version of Super Mario Bros. 2. I feel there's a lot of potential there; reintroduce the world of Subcon and its characters to a whole new generation. Imagine the puzzle elements they could add with potion doors, for example. It'd also be fun to see them add in playable Mario characters who didn't exist at the time of the original NES release.

If 2023 is the last year of Switch before the successor… then the answer is Kirby lol

Seems they possibly have two teams now, the new team in Osaka who are making the Goemon-esque game (which I assume is a smaller self published game and their next original IP after Monkey Barrels) and the Yoshi team, so possibly both on the way. Crafted World was the beginning of Y2 of the Switch so I'd say it's not that recent but the pandemic obviously would affect that
I think Crafted World was beginning of Y3, right? March 2019? Your username reminded me that when it came out we were visiting Melbourne and I remember seeing the display for the game at a video game store. (We also got to visit Tasmania on that trip and spent a lot of time there and with its diverse ecosystems it remarkably reminded me of BOTW's Hyrule.) Either way I'm really psyched for the studio's next projects!

I think Crafted World was beginning of Y3, right? March 2019? Your username reminded me that when it came out we were visiting Melbourne and I remember seeing the display for the game at a video game store. (We also got to visit Tasmania on that trip and spent a lot of time there and with its diverse ecosystems it remarkably reminded me of BOTW's Hyrule.) Either way I'm really psyched for the studio's next projects!
oh true - yes, 2019 not 2018 so Y3. Tasmania's beautiful for sure, def parts of it have that fantasy feel to them - deep forests and mountains etc...
But yes, I think we should have something from them soon

Back
Top Bottom