• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Which depiction of Zelda in a mainline game is your favorite? (NO UNMARKED TOTK SPOILERS)

Which depiction of Zelda is your favorite?

• Total voters

Hero of Hyrule

Frieren the Slayer
Pronouns
He/Him
OCARINA OF TIME
Zelda-and-Sheik-back-to-back.jpg

THE WIND WAKER
DD-Phantom-Hourglass-Tetra-and-Zelda-Expanded-Role-cover-pic.jpg

TWILIGHT PRINCESS
maxresdefault.jpg

SPIRIT TRACKS
3441.zelda.jpg

SKYWARD SWORD
SS_moreart04.jpg

A LINK BETWEEN WORLDS

1200px-LinkBetweenWorldsZelda.png

BREATH OF THE WILD
desktop-4.jpg

TEARS OF THE KINGDOM

Foetq9DakAA2bG6-638x850.jpeg

Zelda has been a major part of some of Link's most memorable adventures ever. I am not including games in the poll where her presence was minimal (or where she barely registers as a character, such as A Link to the Past, Majora's Mask, or The Minish Cap), nor am I including spin offs.

This leaves us with eight very distinct takes on the character across eight separate games. Which of these is your favorite? REMEMBER NO UNMARKED SPOILERS FOR TOTK

Last edited:
Spirit Tracks. It’s one of the few games where Zelda actually has a personality.

Special shout out to Tetra as well though ST Zelda wins by a nose.

Wind Waker solely for Tetra. Not even the part where she’s actually Zelda.

Then it’s a tossup between OoT because sheik is badass, then BotW/TOTK for her actual character (honestly probably #1 from a pure character standpoint, but her VA brings it down, and I just fucking love Tetra).

Botw Zelda sweeps of course (also she's the same in totk so I don't see why they're separated here), after her probably windwaker zelda who is amazing but sadly underused especially in the secomd half, her part in the final battle is incredible though.
Also twilight princess and a link between worlds zelda is just as irrelevant as minish cap zelda so I don't know why are they in the pool.

Botw Zelda sweeps of course (also she's the same in totk so I don't see why they're separated here), after her probably windwaker zelda who is amazing but sadly underused especially in the secomd half, her part in the final battle is incredible though.
Also twilight princess and a link between worlds zelda is just as irrelevant as minish cap zelda so I don't know why are they in the pool.
TOTK goes way deeper into Zelda's characterization and agency and plot participation than BOTW did, as a depiction it is an independent one that deserves to be recognized as such

TP and ALBW are actually my two least favorite Zelda depictions of the ones in the poll, so I agree with you, but both were iconic/significant enough to inform Smash Bros. Zelda depictions so obviously others disagree, and I included them.

TOTK goes way deeper into Zelda's characterization and agency and plot participation than BOTW did, as a depiction it is an independent one that deserves to be recognized as such

TP and ALBW are actually my two least favorite Zelda depictions of the ones in the poll, so I agree with you, but both were iconic/significant enough to inform Smash Bros. Zelda depictions so obviously others disagree, and I included them.
i still need to finish TotK so maybe you're right, it's still the same character so I can't still separate the 2 but maybe at the end of the game i'll change my opinion.

As far as the smash representation I don't think it's that important and one of the reasons as to why I hate TP zelda is because she's been in 2 smash games when she's barely a character in her game.

Tetra was by far the most fun and interesting depiction.

I love Zelda in BotW/TotK but her voice takes me out of it every time. The actress isn't bad, just very miscast.

(also why did ALBW Zelda get boobie fan art while the rest got official art lmao)

Tetra was by far the most fun and interesting depiction.

I love Zelda in BotW/TotK but her voice takes me out of it every time. The actress isn't bad, just very miscast.

(also why did ALBW Zelda get boobie fan art while the rest got official art lmao)
Can't find high res official art for her, if you do, pls lmk and I will update!

Skyward Sword's "girl next door" vibes were charming and her relationship with Link felt organic in that game.

Skyward Sword Zelda, the urgency that game created by making you want to reunite Link and Zelda due to how close they were made the game hard to put down for me.

Tetra before she actually becomes Zelda. Let her keep the attitude and the tan and she'd be the best of the bunch for sure; but she becomes so much less interesting after the transformation. Spirit Tracks Zelda gets the same design while keeping the attitude which proves it works and is a ton more fun. She still gets to play a more active role in the final battle with Ganondorf though, which is appreciated, but still could've easily been so much better. I at least like that she canonically prefers being Tetra; and I can just blame OoT for setting the precedent of her being cooler before she becomes Zelda.

Can't find high res official art for her, if you do, pls lmk and I will update!

When in doubt, just check a fan wiki.

Skyward Sword, she seemed charming and I loved her interactions with Groose especially. I haven't played Spirit Tracks but everything I've read about that one sounds good too.

Tetra before she actually becomes Zelda. Let her keep the attitude and the tan and she'd be the best of the bunch for sure; but she becomes so much less interesting after the transformation. Spirit Tracks Zelda gets the same design while keeping the attitude which proves it works and is a ton more fun. She still gets to play a more active role in the final battle with Ganondorf though, which is appreciated, but still could've easily been so much better. I at least like that she canonically prefers being Tetra; and I can just blame OoT for setting the precedent of her being cooler before she becomes Zelda.

When in doubt, just check a fan wiki.
See that's what I tried, but it does this when I load it up lol

image.png

2a49622fe0aebcaaded7b92da8f7623d--nintendo-games-princess-zelda.jpg

No, not posting that because she's the best Princess. She doesn't hate rats, after all. But because she deserves to be properly represented in picture in this thread.

Leaving out Hilda from the OP and poll is a snub.

2a49622fe0aebcaaded7b92da8f7623d--nintendo-games-princess-zelda.jpg

No, not posting that because she's the best Princess. She doesn't hate rats, after all. But because she deserves to be properly represented in picture in this thread.

Leaving out Hilda from the OP and poll is a snub.
Hilda ain't Zelda. Hilda is Hilda. She's her own person. This poll is to figure out who people think the best Zelda is. Putting Hilda on it would make as much sense as putting Rosalina on a poll asking about the best depiction of Peach lol

That said, definitely agreed Hilda is amazing (and far better than ALBW Zelda!)

I picked Spirit Tracks because I like she is with you for the full adventure and has a more fleshed out character as a result. Sucks she has to be a ghost for that :/

Spirit Tracks Zelda is Best Zelda both for being with you the whole adventure and for getting good character development into becoming a heroine.

The boss fight between Byrne and the final battle is up there in the best boss fights in the series.

For me it'd be BOTW Zelda #1 (although TOTK is also good, she's the same Zelda? Feels like an odd split, unless you mean specifically her character in just that game, in which case so far it's BOTW but I haven't finished TOTK yet), Wind Waker #2, Skyward Sword #3.

Hilda ain't Zelda. Hilda is Hilda. She's her own person. This poll is to figure out who people think the best Zelda is. Putting Hilda on it would make as much sense as putting Rosalina on a poll asking about the best depiction of Peach lol

Is Mirror Universe Spock not Spock?

If versions of a character from different timelines are comparable, different dimensions aren't too much to lump in with them. Don't let the name fool you.

If versions of a character from different timelines are comparable, different dimensions aren't too much to lump in with them. Don't let the name fool you.
I mean...under that logic Midna is the Twilight Realm's version of Zelda and she beats everyone with a hand tied behind her back.

...and not the fact that I have been hardcore shipping her with Link has nothing to do with my decision nope!

No? Mirror Universe Spock is still Spock. Hilda is not Zelda.

A parallel character isn’t always the same character. Hilda shares many traits with Zelda, but she isn’t just “Zelda in a different world”. She’s her own entity. If anything, I’d be more inclined to say that Mirror Universe Spock isn’t Spock than say Hilda fits with this poll.

Tough choice, but as of now it’s between OOT and BOTW.

Meeting Zelda as a child and the reveal that she’s been helping you as an adult under Sheik’s moniker was awesome. And she maintained her power and importance even after being a DID for a brief minute.

BOTW’s Zelda is probably the most interesting as her own person. Her wanting to be a researcher but being forced down a path of awakening by the king is interesting conflict. She’s been put through the wringer being a savior of Hyrule but ultimately doesn’t want any of it. She just wants to research frogs and shit. It’s tragic and probably the most human.

BOTW’s Zelda is probably the most interesting as her own person. Her wanting to be a researcher but being forced down a path of awakening by the king is interesting conflict. She’s been put through the wringer being a savior of Hyrule but ultimately doesn’t want any of it. She just wants to research frogs and shit. It’s tragic and probably the most human.

Exactly why I voted for BotW.
Felt the most relatable to me. Her joy while discovering things as well as her frustration with failing some tasks was very believable in this game.
I liked the expressed emotions between Link and Zelda in the memories, even if it all happened in the past and Link is strangely silent as usual.

No? Mirror Universe Spock is still Spock. Hilda is not Zelda.

A parallel character isn’t always the same character. Hilda shares many traits with Zelda, but she isn’t just “Zelda in a different world”. She’s her own entity. If anything, I’d be more inclined to say that Mirror Universe Spock isn’t Spock than say Hilda fits with this poll.

This reeks of chronal bias and spacial discrimination.

I mean...under that logic Midna is the Twilight Realm's version of Zelda and she beats everyone with a hand tied behind her back.

...and not the fact that I have been hardcore shipping her with Link has nothing to do with my decision nope!

Shhhh, don't sell out my end-game here.

Spot-on. Easily the most human and relatable, on top of my favorite Zelda + Link relationship buildup.

Spirit Tracks' because of THAT temper tantrum, it has yet to be matched.

Then Tetra and Skyward Sword's. I don't care about any of the rest.

Im torn between skyward sword and the switch duology. Im a little simple, but I like some romance, even implied romance in my stories. So those games are the closest to implying zelda and link are more than friends. Theres definitely several things in the latest game that heavily hint at that without outright saying it as well.

Spirit Tracks, she has a pretty good personality, pretty different as a princess than other incarnations, and is a pretty good companion.

I really like Tetra in Wind Waker, but her Zelda part besides the ending bit is disappointing.

Breath of the Wild's is cool, getting to see her at different facets and moods of her relationship with Link, her father and how she can't awaken her powers, her intellectual interests that make her triforce make more sense or at least is way more interesting to me, I really liked all that. Only Breath's tho, I don't like most of how they handled Zelda in Tears; also I much prefer her voice direction and tone in the latam spanish dub in Breath compared to Age of Calamity and Tears.

is anyone going to mention how twilight princess zelda (the smash bros screenshot) is used for ocarina of time zelda

I love BotW Zelda. Her being more of a scientist was an interesting change from the usual. Plus her wanting to use her actual passions and skills to help but instead being forced into a more traditional role where she has no training, no help, and ends up feeling like a failure when it inevitably doesn’t work was very compelling to me. Holding back the calamity for 100 years as well honestly feels like the greatest feat any Zelda in the series has ever pulled off.

Feels weird to seperate her from TotK, but I’m not far enough in the story to comment there.

Feels weird to seperate her from TotK
Yup, it's weird. Loved her in BOTW, I still love her in TOTK. My choice is TOTK because... well, there is something that blew my mind. Cant't talk about it of course, and I think her design is even better.

Plus her wanting to use her actual passions and skills to help but instead being forced into a more traditional role where she has no training, no help, and ends up feeling like a failure when it inevitably doesn’t work was very compelling to me.
I've never been a fan of botw zelda but this framing of the character hits hard

Yup, it's weird. Loved her in BOTW, I still love her in TOTK. My choice is TOTK because... well, there is something that blew my mind. Cant't talk about it of course, and I think her design is even better.
I think all the triforce holders look the best they ever have in TotK. Short haired Zelda is great.

Skyward Sword Zelda is perfect. Next would be WW, but can't beat that adorable SS Zelda imo

I think all the triforce holders look the best they ever have in TotK. Short haired Zelda is great.
Looking at the BotW art in the OP kinda shocked me, as I’ve been looking at short haired Zelda for the past few months I forgot she had long hair in BotW lol.

short hair looks very natural on her

Spirit-Tracks-Zelda.gif

I love, love, love Spirit Tracks Zelda's interactions with Link. I love, love, Spirit Tracks in general.

I think having her tag along for the whole adventure makes a big difference for me.

Spirit Tracks' Zelda is the best part of the game.

Too bad those DS titles never did much for me. Aside from Zelda 2, they are by far my least favorite mainline games of the series.

I love BotW Zelda. Her being more of a scientist was an interesting change from the usual. Plus her wanting to use her actual passions and skills to help but instead being forced into a more traditional role where she has no training, no help, and ends up feeling like a failure when it inevitably doesn’t work was very compelling to me.
☝️ All this.

Alttp/albw

In general I don't like how new world the character's clothing designs have gotten in Botw and totk.

I love stuff styled more from antiquity or medieval era, just a simple tunic. I really hope we get another entry with that style

We do see some of that in Totk with the ancient clothing, but it feels out of place compared to all the npcs

Back
Top Bottom