• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club Where did the term “shadowdrop” come from?

Derachi

Fresh Eater
Founder
Pronouns
he/him
“Shadowdrop.” You know what it means. I know what it means. We all do. It’s a word so ingrained in video game enthusiast culture that it’s unavoidable. For an industry and community that regularly sets its proverbial collective watch to the timings of corporate product announcements, it only makes sense that we, as a community, would come up with terms for specific release patterns and practices.

In case you’re not aware, the term “shadowdrop” is used to refer to a video game product release that happens the same day (in some cases, moment) of announcement. A recent example of a shadowdrop is Metroid Prime Remastered. A game that went from, officially, non-existent, to available for immediate purchase and enjoyment within a single day.

My question for you, dear reader, is this: Where did this term originate? It certainly sounds as if it could have come from a video game. If you told me that a “shadowdrop” was some stealth-based attack from some ninja-themed video game from two decades ago, I’d believe you without a moment’s consideration. If you told me a “shadowdrop” was Akuma’s finishing move from Super Street Fighter Alpha EX 3 Turbo Third Impact For Matching Service Dash, I’d believe you again.

However if you also told me this term did not originate from a videogame, I’d also believe you. The term feels as though it comes from fiction, though at the same time, could just as easily come from a business school textbook that is trying a little too hard to be cool when explaining supply and demand control methods. I, simply, do not know.

Folks, I ask you: Where did the term “shadowdrop” originate?

I was actually wondering the same thing the other day, funny coincidence

I think it’s just a sort of forum thing. Where it started with ‘shadow ban’ (for any forum/social media platform that stops others seeing someone’s posts without telling the latter) on Something Awful about 20 years ago. Then that’s ‘shadow x’ associated with stealthy/underhanded activity. Then ‘shadow drop’ as a stealthy release without any previous comms eventually comes from there in the social media age.

I don't know if EZA originated it but afaik they were the ones who initially popularized it even though it has grown far beyond their sphere of influence.

latest

For some reason I associate the term 'shadowdrop' first being referred to when Beyoncé dropped her album "Lemonade" with absolutely no marketing or social media teasing whatsoever.

Yeah the EZA people have used it even in the GT days afaik. No one else has ever come out and said that they've used or heard the term earlier. They said it a lot, forum users started using it, then Keighly used it at least once on a broadcast and it kind of grew from there I think.

Brandon Jones has said until someone claims otherwise they just run with it being a term they coined lol

Edit: Brofield's comment is interesting tho, never heard somebody say shadowdrop outside of gaming but obviously Beyonce's drop was huge. Maybe the Allies just made the term popular in gaming.

I think some guy was about to do a surprise release of his new video game The Adventures Of The Turtle And Me and did a livestream on YouTube to do the announcement but just as he was about to bring the game into frame his dog Shadow snatched it so he had to say "Shadow! Drop!" and then Shadow dropped it and then he held it to the camera and everyone was like oh my god he surprise released it, no, he shadowdropped it!

Anyway I don't have the source for this but I'm pretty sure that's what happened

re: the debate about if Easy Allies/Gametrailers coined the term, they previously discussed it on the podcast a few years ago. (1:05:12)

their thoughts were that they likely didn’t, but were humbled by the amount of people crediting it to them regardless.

I want to say this is a term that existed for a long while and originated outside of video games though I’m not sure where it came from exactly.

I think some guy was about to do a surprise release of his new video game The Adventures Of The Turtle And Me and did a livestream on YouTube to do the announcement but just as he was about to bring the game into frame his dog Shadow snatched it so he had to say "Shadow! Drop!" and then Shadow dropped it and then he held it to the camera and everyone was like oh my god he surprise released it, no, he shadowdropped it!

Anyway I don't have the source for this but I'm pretty sure that's what happened
That's.. quite an interesting way for it to come into existence if true

Back
Top Bottom