• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion What's your favorite Nintendo game that sold less than 1 million units?

Maybe Paper Mario Color Splash. It’s held back a bit by the Gamepad utilization and doesn’t hit the highs of the earlier games or Origami King, but it has fantastic scenario writing and a lot of fun characters and dialogue.
Color Splash made me hopeful for the future of Paper Mario, and the Origami King delivered. Color is such a nice step in the right direction after Sticker Star. I really loved its humor!

Panel de Pon

If that doesn't count... Famicom Detective Club! Thought that one was a really good murder mystery adventure game.

I don't put much faith in VGChartz, but they have Game & Wario at a measly 250,000 units sold. Say what you will about the limited single player content, but the GamePad implementation and multiplayer were the best on the WiiU.

Anyway, according to VGChartz, juggernauts like Fire Emblem (the whole series pretty much until Awakening), Advance Wars (all), Eternal Darkness, NES Remix, etc., didn't crack a million, so the candidate list for favorites under 1M is stacked.
Fe4 sold more than 1mil in japan iirc

Elite Beat Agents, Chibi Robo, Soma Bringer, and Hotel Dusk

Chibi Robo thread? lmao. I loved The Last Story/Pandoras Tower, the Wii U fatal frame is pretty good but the one that should get more love is The Wonderful 101, even if it isnt a nintendo ip anymore that game is such a unique beast, i doubt we will get something like it again. Its so sad that even with a kickstarter, remaster and even youtube ads the game didnt break 1 million.

91vjz8-ljkl._sl1500_.jpg

This is one of the best games Intelligent Systems has ever put out and I will defend it to my deathbed. Steampunk-meets-silver age comic books-meets-historical literature-meets-Abraham Lincoln is an absolutely absurd concept for a strategy game, but the game is so dedicated to mashing these concepts together that (for me at least) it totally works. It is self aware and campy enough to be fun, while also taking itself seriously enough to never feel like a complete joke. The character designs kick ass, the levels are well designed and tense as hell to play through, and the gameplay feels good. Figuring out how to deal with the evolving alien menace and getting a feel for the new mechanics that each new character and sub-weapon you unlock feels incredibly satisfying.

Sadly the game absolutely bombed and will probably never see the light of day again. :( Special thanks to Smash Ultimate for including a remix of one of the songs from the game, that was an awesome treat.
Obligatory

How was this ever thought of. In Japan someone was like 'lets make a game about a former american president in a steampunk setting. He has his own Strike Team Eliminating the Alien Manace...

Last edited:
I suppose that would have to be Wave Race: Blue Storm. While WR64 almost sold 3 million units, BS was unfortunately completely ignored and killed the series.

Obligatory

How was this ever thought of. In Japan someone was like 'lets make a game about a former american president in a steampunk setting. He has his own Strike Team Eliminating the Alien Manace...

The director was Paul Patrascu, who was born in Romania.

91vjz8-ljkl._sl1500_.jpg

This is one of the best games Intelligent Systems has ever put out and I will defend it to my deathbed. Steampunk-meets-silver age comic books-meets-historical literature-meets-Abraham Lincoln is an absolutely absurd concept for a strategy game, but the game is so dedicated to mashing these concepts together that (for me at least) it totally works. It is self aware and campy enough to be fun, while also taking itself seriously enough to never feel like a complete joke. The character designs kick ass, the levels are well designed and tense as hell to play through, and the gameplay feels good. Figuring out how to deal with the evolving alien menace and getting a feel for the new mechanics that each new character and sub-weapon you unlock feels incredibly satisfying.

Sadly the game absolutely bombed and will probably never see the light of day again. :( Special thanks to Smash Ultimate for including a remix of one of the songs from the game, that was an awesome treat.

79BC889C6B1DB9CAF18F238B0E7096746FDD712C

Codename STEAM was too good for this world.

Hideki Kamiyas magnum opus, the video game of all video games... the flop of all flops...The Wonderful 101.

7A78DD61331219A5407FC32BA88BFCF1FEF2703B

Wait, is Megamix the only game in the series to get past a million sales? For some reason, I always assumed Fever was the best-selling RH game.
I think Fever sold over 700k in Japan so it still sold well, but it really flopped in the west it seems. The DS game is still the highest selling by far reaching the 3 million mark.

Snipperclips for me. Considering it released as digital-only, Nintendo will probably never update its 350k number. The game is absolutely great and I hope it comes back in the future ♥

po0jv56e6ordv0mhsmux.jpg

I don't think and Starfy games have crossed that threshold, could be wrong, but I know Legendary Starfy sure didn't. That's my pick. It's far from being a challenging game, outside of collectibles, but it's such a charming one. Wish they'd have released more over here.

I think all of the Chibi-Robo! games qualify for this. I adore them (not a big fan of Zip Lash, but it has SOME things I like about it).

I liked Wario World a lot too... It's not perfect but I would love to see a 3D Wario beat-em-up return in the future in that vein.

I don't think I've ever played a Nintendo game that hasn't passed 1 million. Am I a bad person?
I'm happy to announce I remembered a Nintendo game I played that did not sell a million. Zero Mission! That's one of my favorite games of all time so it's definitely that one.

After that ... maybe Wonderful 101 or Samus Returns? Though I played the self published Wonderful 101 Remaster.

....man, why don't you people buy Metroid games :(

I don't think and Starfy games have crossed that threshold, could be wrong, but I know Legendary Starfy sure didn't. That's my pick. It's far from being a challenging game, outside of collectibles, but it's such a charming one. Wish they'd have released more over here.
Oh man, I totally forgot about Starfy. Such a fun little platformer, i wish they’d put the others on NSO even if they’re untranslated.

91vjz8-ljkl._sl1500_.jpg

Picked this up for a fiver and had more fun with it than a bunch of games I've bought collector's editions of. Realizing what was actually going on with the aliens is probably the biggest "holy shit" moment I had with any 3DS game.

Close second: Metroid Prime Federation Force. I'm big into Warframe. Federation Force was a LOT like Warframe. Massively improved by playing in multiplayer and with a surprising number of hidden secrets. If the game had handled the mod system better it could have been a genuine hidden gem.

images

Came out late in the Gamecube's life with not much marketing, still a certified banger and very popular in the FE community today. At this point most of the fandom likely played it on Dolphin.
Probably this for me. It's a shame it didn't sold better.

Back when I was about to stop visiting VGChartz, I am almost certain Xenoblade X had surpassed the million mark, but anyone familiar with the site would know that a lot of the numbers were obtained from thin air.

Back
Top Bottom