• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion What's your favorite manga/comic

samouraï

pretty darn cute
Banned
Me personally it's either Blue by Kiriko Nananan or Goodbye Eri by Tatsuki Fujimoto, what about you?

Last edited:
I’ve been reading One Piece for 13 years and it’s as exciting as ever. Oyasumi Punpun is also fantastic.

I still personally prefer the manga adaptation of Evangelion over the original anime.

Such an incredible story.

Dr. Slump!

Dragon Ball is great, but Dr. Slump is truly Akira Toriyama’s masterwork. Where Dragon Ball shows that Toriyama’s understanding of making smooth action work across static comic panels is unparalleled, Dr. Slump shows his true strength: comedy and comedic timing. Dr. Slump is genuinely hilarious and I simply cannot recommend it enough.

It’s been like 10 years since I last read it, but I was big into Bleach back in the day. Haven’t read as much in the way of manga or comics since.

Cool fellow Goodbye Eri fans here!! I like everything that I've read so far by Fujimoto but Goodbye Eri might be my favourite!

In general I guess I'll share my current top 5: Dragon Ball, One Piece, JoJo, Fist of the Northstar, and Vagabond.

Love Naoki Urasawa - more attached to the Monster anime than manga (which if you haven't seen is hitting Netflix on January 1st) so would have to shout out Pluto - his dark Astro Boy reinvention as my favourite - worth checking out all of his series 20th Century Boys, Master Keaton etc...
24bf69c82fec6d8db502167213b5a3601653794308_main.jpg

D.Gray-Man is forever gonna be my personal favorite manga! I've been with it for like 12+ years already.

Seeing the art change throughout the years has been so amazing to see. And I just love the characters and story with my whole heart too!

Absolute favourite is probably Lucifer by Mike Carey. Though it does have to be read after Neil Gaiman's original Sandman run which isn't too much of an ask as that is almost as good.

Other then that:

Transmetropolitan - Warren Ellis
Preacher - Garth Ennis
Hitman - Garth Ennis
The Authority - Warren Ellis run
Starman - James Robinson run
DC 1M (dc cape crossover event) - Grant Morrison
One Piece - Eiichiro Oda
Gintama - Hideaki Sorachi
Iron Wok Jan - Shinji Saijyo
Bio Booster Armor Guyver (on long term hiatus and probably dead) - Yoshiki Takaya

Victorian Romance Emma & A Bride's Story by Kaoru Mori
ARIA by Kozue Amano
Bloom Into You by Nio Nakatani
Princess Knight & The Twin Knights by Osamu Tezuka
Cutie Honey by Go Nagai
Chobits & Magic Knight Rayearth by CLAMP
Kase-san to... by Hiromi Takashima

...probably a few more, but these come to mind first and foremost.

I still personally prefer the manga adaptation of Evangelion over the original anime.

Such an incredible story.
I've always been curious about the manga version of Evangelion, but I dunno if I have 20 years of it in me.

One Piece. I’ve been a fan for too long and I’m too invested for my favorite to be anything else.

My runner up is probably Golden Kamuy. A true modern classic that more people need to read.

I've always been curious about the manga version of Evangelion, but I dunno if I have 20 years of it in me.
It’s cool! It definitely brings some new things to the table. I personally prefer the TV series/movies, but the comic is great too.

My favorite comic is Excel Saga. The TV series was a formative part of growing up for me, but the comic is so, so much better.

My immediate reaction to the question was The Sandman, but after considering it a bit more I think it might actually be The Flintstones comic by Mark Russell. It’s so much more insightful, witty, and moving then it has any right to be.

I haven't read them in like 10 years when I was like 17 or 18, but my favorite manga are GTO, Slam Dunk, and Hoshi no Samidare. GTO was the one I liked the most of the 3 but it's also the one I could see not holding up very well reading it at an older age. I could see some of the subject matter being handled a bit iffy now looking back at it lol. Sorta want to revisit it now out of curiosity.

Matchmaker by Cam Marshall
Girls with Horns by Winona Powers

These two are by far my favorites right now!

I’ve only read a very small amount so my selection is limited but I suppose it’d have to be either Aiura or Gantz.

I've read so soany graphic novels over the past 12 years, probably close to 500... Like I'd read 5 a month thanks to local library. Sometimes more.n

So.... I've forgotten more novels I've liked than I can name off the top of my head.

Three Shadows - Cyril Pedrosa
Fantasy about the death of a child and terminal illness.... Moving but no fun

I could name Rusty Brown (one section is the greatest representation of stages of life and the thoughts we all have I've seen in any media) but it's low key savage and not a fun read. Chris Ware is a vibe.

Hark, a vagrant is actual real fun. Read it.

The Jungle, adopted by Peter Kuper.

Special exits

Duncan The Wonder Dog

Infidel

Bttm Fdrs Ezra Claytan Daniels

Quit your job

Buddy does Jersey.

Here by Richard McGuire - One room, moving through time. It's amazing.

Too many to list, but some of the all timers are:
Steel Ball Run
One Piece
Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol
From Hell
Tintin
Floyd Gottfredson's Mickey Mouse
Tezuka's Phoenix
20th Century Boys
Carl Bark's Duck Comic
Nausica of the Valley of the Wind
Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four

One Piece had a dip in quality over the timeskip unfortunately but the overarching story worldbuilding and overall scope are still top notch so it'll probably remain my favorite forever. Been reading it for over 16 years, more than half my life! And the endgame is finally in sight (even if it's still got a good 5+ years in the tank)

Berserk - been reading for close to two decades now. RIP Miura.
Akira - 6 enormous volumes of dystopian futuristic chaos/action and amazing art.
Junji Ito's Gyo & Uzumaki - both of them go batshit insane at the end. Horror manga at its weirdest and best with images that stay with you. Both made me a lifelong Ito fan.
Vagabond - quintessential samurai manga. Reflective and the best work that Takehiko Inoue has ever done, shame he won't ever finish it.

Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth - despite the back and forth between writer and artist on this comic over the years (clashing of two egos), it's easily one of my favourite Batman comics. It's creepy as hell and extremely atmospheric. And the art is just mindblowing.

One Piece had a dip in quality over the timeskip unfortunately but the overarching story worldbuilding and overall scope are still top notch so it'll probably remain my favorite forever. Been reading it for over 16 years, more than half my life! And the endgame is finally in sight (even if it's still got a good 5+ years in the tank)
This is basically how I feel. I think the individual arcs were better overall pre-timeskip but the way the entire story is building up towards its finale is extremely exciting.

For manga, definitely 20th Century Boys, I generally love Urasawa's output but that one really hits for me.

For comics, Mike Mignola's sensibilities on Hellboy just lean into all my favourite parts of the medium. Hard not to mention Arcudi's BPRD run though, they are two parts of a beautiful whole and a great saga.

A bonus very current favourite, I just read The Many Deaths of Laila Starr by Ram V and Filipe Andrade and it was wonderful 😭

Last edited:
If you had asked me back in high school, my answer would be V for Vendetta. Now I’d probably say it’s Sandman because Gaiman is my favorite author and just about everything he does is amazing.

Shoutout to the recent run of Daredevil though, it’s been good for a while now.

Corto Maltese.
Corto is the most fascinating, charismatic and real character i have encountered in a work of fiction.
An absolute pity he is not so known in the english speaking world.

other relevant comics for me would be:
apple seed
berserk
rookies
eternauta
kabuki
sandman
jojo
nikopol trilogy

Back
Top Bottom