• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion What's your fav holiday food and drinks?

I usually do a charcuterie platter for myself with some of my fave meat and cheeses. Bake some depending on my diet choices at the time. Usually stay pretty low key tho

I think I may have inadvertly started a tradition last year by suggesting to my mum we should make Rhenish sauerbraten and she suggested we make it again this year.

Other than that, ALL THE CHRISTMAS COOKIES! Lebkuchen, Vanillekipferl, Linzer Törtchen, Kokosmakronen, Zimtsterne (sry this is all in German just google it I promise it's worth it), ALL OF THEM.

Drinks:
  • A Stout - there's an abundance of great Micro breweries making absolute top notch Stouts which feels very christmasy. This years I have my eye on Nerdbrewing Xmas Override, Imperial Chocolate Orange Milkshake Stout.
  • Julmust, which is a swedish soft drink which totally dominates the christmas table - Coca Cola stopped trying to make Coke the christmas drink after years of failure to beat out Julmust ;P

Foods and treats:
  • Trillingnöt - Basicaly choclate covered trio of hazelnuts
  • And Swedish Julbord - The maincourse which is basically all you can eat of unhealthy stuff and there's a million stuff to pick but my favorites would be- Janssons Frestelse (basically a creamy potato gratin with little pieces of anchovies inside - we love salty food here), Meatballs, Small sausagaes, different kinds of smoked and cold smoked salmon, eggs, ham, ribs, shrimp, wortbread etc etc..

Two day feast and then I'm done.

Just dark belgian beer. Drinking that whilke enjoying a game or a movie when it's a cold december evening is somehow so fitting. I'm lucky I live near the Belgian border so I can easily hop the border and load up on great beers :)

Shortbread around this time of year is the best. If a client at work gives us any, I'm the first to eat them, and the only one because I finish it before they can touch any. I'm a sucker for shortbread. Christmas shaped ones though.

Back
Top Bottom