• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion What's the weirdest way you've ever been spoiled on something?

SammyJ9

Weeb of the Rings
Pronouns
He/Him
As we're now in the final week before Tears of the Kingdom and (most) of us are trying our very best to avoid spoilers, I thought it'd be fun to talk about some of the ironic, funny, or incredibly unlikely ways we've been spoiled on something in the past. This can be for anything: A book, movie, game, Direct, you name it!

Note that if you're going to discuss the actual spoiler itself if it's something that might still be considered as such, please mark spoilers!

I have two to kick things off:

1) This is a pretty minor one, but amuses me with how it happened: For the Indie World in mid-2020, I couldn't watch it until later in the day so I decided to stay dark just for the fun of it and watch it when I got home from work. So I thought, I just won't check twitter or youtube all day, easy. BUT, and I didn't even consider this, I listen to a lot of random podcasts and I'm subbed to a ton, so I'm literally driving home from work and check my phone at a light and I get a popup "Nintendo Power Podcast featuring Interview with Hades developer Supergiant!" and I was like... okay, cool, I guess Hades is coming to Switch, lol, thanks official Nintendo podcast.

2) During the early years of Game of Thrones (before it got really popular), my roommate's brother was in the middle of watching season 1. He gets in an elevator to go to class one day and hears "... I cannot believe that Ned dies! I thought he was the main character? And Sansa..." and that was it. A totally random conversation, over like five seconds. The universe just decided to spoil him.

Anyway, I'm sure there are some weirder and more fun ways it's happened to you all!

I'm gonna state that it's Mother 3 since I think the way I was spoiled spoils the thing since its so well known (though for said reason I'd wager a good chunk of people here know even if they have not played)

Miiverse spoiled Claus' death with the "Winning won't bring Claus back" thing in the Miiverse stage in smash. I've realized over the years that being in the Mother fandom at all would have spoiled it eventually (I played Mother 3 3 years after Earthbound cause for a bit I was naive and waiting for a localization) cause that and Hinawa's death are kind of memes for some reason, I'm not gonna say it's never used in a funny way but I don't know I don't love it, but the fact it was Miiverse specifically is amazing/stupid.

I opened the spoiler Q & A thread for TotK. And even though the content remained covered with spoiler tags, just the type of responses and the things that get asked about was enough for me to put two and two together and be spoiled about certain things. I am the world's greatest detective, after all.

I'm honestly being serious (well maybe not sure about the last part but it's true to my character).

I have managed to avoid seeing anything from the new TotK trailer, including the appearance of rehydrated Ganondorf, probably because I don't follow any gaming personalities on the socials, up until today when someone posted a picture of what I guess was the back cover of a Nintendo news magazine where they had a picture of him set up as though he was on the cover of Men's Health and it was hilarious and awesome but then I was like fuck I really just wanted to be surprised to see him in-game

I opened the spoiler Q & A thread for TotK. And even though the content remained covered with spoiler tags, just the type of responses and the things that get asked about was enough for me to put two and two together and be spoiled about certain things. I am the world's greatest detective, after all.

I'm honestly being serious (well maybe not sure about the last part but it's true to my character).
As Pennington, you should know that you're far too smart and savvy to look into even spoiler-free spoiler threads!

Years ago, back when FFXIII came out, some troll on a forum posted, in all caps, threads in General Discussion with titles that were just spoilers for the game.

Years ago, back when FFXIII came out, some troll on a forum posted, in all caps, threads in General Discussion with titles that were just spoilers for the game.
I legit have worried about stuff like this happening for big games if I just happened to see it before it was modded

Nothing too crazy. The day the Bayonetta reveal stream for Smash 4 happened, I wouldn't be able to watch it till later that night, but I ended up seeing a screencap of it on my friend's Facebook feed in the computer lab lol

I was simply trying to watch food videos on The YouTube, and the algorithm recommended a cell phone footage video titled “CAPTAIN AMERICA LIFTS MJÖLNIR AVENGERS ENDGAME”.

It was a random ass thread on Era a few years back, a playstation game that was popular and new which I didnt particularly wanted to play but wanted to read about (maybe FF7R? I cant remember). And there was a poster answering a question I was curious about and the answer was in a spoiler tag - so I opened the spoiler tag. And there it was, the ending to Last of Us 2 - Which I wanted to play but had not. It made no sense.

It was rough

The Sixth Sense.

There used to be a live TV show over here called Baddiel and Skinner Unplanned in which the titular comedians sat on a couch in a studio with no script and took suggestions from the audience on what to talk about.
An audience member got up and straight up spoiled the ending to The Sixth Sense which was still playing in cinema at the time. lol.

Almost 10 years ago, a little me was gonna watch the first episode of a new series called Game of Thrones. I don't know way, if they were indeed badly organized or what, but my brain melted and decided that the episode number 10 was in reality number 1. And so, the first secene I witness was an execution square, and people was talking about a beheaded man called Ned Stark. It took quite some to convince me that indeed that wasn't some heavy way to start a pilot.

I got propperly spoiled a couple more times. The day of the season 5 finale some friend shared on Facebook a screenshot of someone lying on ice with blood around him. 'Oh', I thought. I remember also being spoiled via some YouTube thumbnail that some uncle was returning six or seven seasons later.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

I was watching some sort of livestream on YouTube around the time of it's release. It might have been an Odyssey speed-run but I can't remember for sure. While looking at the chat, I see a bunch of messages from this one guy, writing spoilers for the movie in all caps. The one that spoiled me the most was "LUKE DIES WHILE MEDITATING ON A ROCK".

On a side note I actually liked the movie. It has its flaws but it doesn't deserve the hate.

Memes, 2 stupid memes spoiled me 2 major plot points of xenoblade 1 and 2.
one was about what videogame characters think happens when they die and one comment said that when shulk dies a god comes out of his body.
The second one was one of the memes like "what if you wanted to go to place but god said blank with elysium and an image of elysium deserted and ruined. Thankfully no meme spoiled me about xenoblade 3 plot points.
The saddest part was that they weren't even funny

One of my most anticipated games of all-time was Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies. In retrospect the wait between that game and Apollo Justice wasn't that long, especially compared to a lot of what we have now, but given how quickly the first four games in the series were localized in succession it felt like an eternity to have to wait five and a half years before the next one. As an avid GameFAQs poster in 2013 and someone who had spent the previous four years being the resident Smash, rhythm game, and Ace Attorney guy on the board I posted on, I was pretty damn hyped and most people knew it. Of course, the game came out half a year prior in Japan, so the plot details had been out for a long time. I actually even imported a copy of the game myself, just to have a physical copy for the collection as it was a digital-only release in the US.

I bring all of this up because the night before the game released, a GameFAQs poster who was both notoriously a troll and someone who really disliked me for basically having the opposite tastes in games as I, looked up the spoilers for who the main villain of the game was on the Ace Attorney wiki. He then PMed this to me. I posted a thread about the fact that he had spoiled me, and he basically feigned ignorance, despite me having the receipts. The reason this was so weird is because this poster hated Ace Attorney, had played the first case of the first game and basically deemed it a "non-game" and vowed never to touch them again. So the dude clearly had to go out of his way to even find these spoilers.

I proceeded to spend the next three days marathoning the game, doing basically nothing but playing it. When I finally got to the big reveal I was disappointed, but also happy with how cool it was in context still. The whole experience was at least very memorable though.

...how about the way I spoiled something in Chrono Trigger to a friend of mine...

I accidently spoiled something to a long term friend when I asked how far she was, and I asked about if she got to the part where Chrono dies.

My neurodivergent ass continues to just want to die remembering that I did that to her..

Like.

ES4egIHXsAUtxo7.png

Reading a comedy fanfic in the late 90s, probably one by Fritz Fraundorf. I don't remember the context, but a character in a single sentence yelled out some major twists for three RPGs. Like "Aeris dies, AAA is BBB, YYY is ZZZ!", the latter two being from games I hadn't played yet but would. Lufia and Wild Arms, maybe.

Before I had a chance to watch the Smash Bros. Brawl trailer, some guy I was friends with on AIM at the time IMed me like HOLY SHIT SOLID SNAKE IS IN SMASH BROS!!!

A depressing one: I know that Dr. Maruki was the final boss of Personsa 5 Royal before I played it. The reason why... when his voice actor died, a ton of people posted his final scene as one of their favourite pieces of voice work. RIP Billy.

Maybe a tad squick, but discovered two people in a manga were brothers because a slash fic tagged incest. 🙃

specifically that Todoroki and Dabi were brothers.

I don't think anything tops that honestly.

I can't think of one, but I predict me reading this thread and clicking on every spoiler for stuff I haven't experienced before

Remember the Miiverse stage in Smash Bros Wii U? Remember people could post messages on there which would pop up while you were fighting? Someone posted a message which spoiled the ending to The Hunger Games: Mockingjay...when I just happened to be reading the book...

...Miiverse was just freaking weird...

I'm pretty sure I had the truth about Morgana in Persona 5 Royal spoiled when I did a search for who his VA was.

I'm pretty sure I had the truth about Morgana in Persona 5 Royal spoiled when I did a search for who his VA was.
Similarly, I got spoiled on part of Xenoblade 3's ending (that photo) when I was looking up the VA's for the main cast.

Why that showed up I'll never get but apparently the lesson is to never look up VA's before beating a game!

Similarly, I got spoiled on part of Xenoblade 3's ending (that photo) when I was looking up the VA's for the main cast.

Why that showed up I'll never get but apparently the lesson is to never look up VA's before beating a game!
It's tough, but generally I find if you really want to avoid possible spoilers you probably just shouldn't look up literally anything before beating the game. It's too easy to randomly have something like this pop up. I can remember looking up some weapon stuff in Dark Souls games before (just looking for stats, etc.) and seeing links in the same area of the wiki for major bosses and the like.

Remember the Miiverse stage in Smash Bros Wii U? Remember people could post messages on there which would pop up while you were fighting?
I distinctly recall a bunch of “Han Solo dies” posts. I had already seen The Force Awakens at that point, but like why don’t you mofos know how to act?

Watching some speed run videos, some time youtube or speedrun forums just go crazy with the titles
"GAME: Final boss _________ in _________: new strategy" I've been spoiled about 4 o 5 times with this

The Sixth Sense.

There used to be a live TV show over here called Baddiel and Skinner Unplanned in which the titular comedians sat on a couch in a studio with no script and took suggestions from the audience on what to talk about.
An audience member got up and straight up spoiled the ending to The Sixth Sense which was still playing in cinema at the time. lol.
funnily enough, one chapter of Jojo's Bizzare Adventure (The Stone Ocean arc) did the exact same thing.
3cb.png

and yes, it literally just started playing in Japanese theaters at the time the chapter was released.

funnily enough, one chapter of Jojo's Bizzare Adventure (The Stone Ocean arc) did the exact same thing.
3cb.png

and yes, it literally just started playing in Japanese theaters at the time the chapter was released.
The Sixth Sense is one of those movies that has such a famous twist that has been lampooned and teased to death in so many random places that I feel like nearly everyone knows the twist by now, even if you barely even know what the movie is. It's up there with 'Rosebud' and some other famous ones.

Back in the Red Dead Redemption days, a little bit before it released and a few days after, you couldn't go to a general discussion thread in french video game forums jeuxvideo.com without someone posting a picture of the very major event that happens at the end of RDR lol
It was everywhere, trolls were posting it in the most random threads lol

It's kinda gory and it being posted at a low resolution gave it a kinda eerie aura, spooked me a little bit on top of spoiling me what would become one of my favorite game ever, before the game even released !
The Sixth Sense is one of those movies that has such a famous twist that has been lampooned and teased to death in so many random places that I feel like nearly everyone knows the twist by now, even if you barely even know what the movie is. It's up there with 'Rosebud' and some other famous ones.
Yeah, Fight Club too. Literally knew about Fight Club's twist more than 10 years prior to me finally watching it. I actually knew more about Fight Club's twist than what the film is all about until I watched it.
And yeah, The Sixth Sense even if I was rather young when I first saw it (13 years old), I STILL got spoiled about what the twist is on some random forums back then lol

Wait wtf
How?
HOW???
"Hollywood's Arclight Theater experienced technical problems during a screening of Star Wars: The Force Awakens last night which, once resolved, caused a major plot point in the film to be spoiled for the audience.

After a projector malfunction during a 3D screening of the latest Star Wars film, Arclight resumed the film toward the end, spoiling a major scene."

Of all the moments it could resume... it had to be on those specific shots lmao

"Hollywood's Arclight Theater experienced technical problems during a screening of Star Wars: The Force Awakens last night which, once resolved, caused a major plot point in the film to be spoiled for the audience.

After a projector malfunction during a 3D screening of the latest Star Wars film, Arclight resumed the film toward the end, spoiling a major scene."

Of all the moments it could resume... it had to be on those specific shots lmao
That’s absolutely hilarious.

That’s absolutely hilarious.
I like how despite the absolute anger that most would feel, some are taking it pretty good, I love the guy saying "start it from THE BEGINNING !" and the couple of dudes laughing their ass off at that reaction lol

I have several stories of Directs I couldn't watch live and got spoiled just by opening the video on YouTube and seeing the thumb nails and titles of the suggested videos. I think the best one is:I

t's E3 2015.
I couldn't watch the Digital Event live. My hype was on the roof because 2014 was just so incredible.
I opened the video. On the suggested videos bar, which I try not to look at but was impossible, I read: Metroid Prime...
And we all know what disaster awaited me, but I was expecting Metroid Prime 4 to happen 🤡

Also about Game of Thrones spoilers, I'm watching the series.
Just had finished season 6/started season 7.
I enter Twitter.
A gossip news blog posts about the finale anniversary. But instead of just posting "today marks the 4th anniversary of the GoT ending" they make sure to post "4 years ago, Arya Stark killed the Night King"

Not like actual spoiler, but I liked E3 being a secret, so popping online to see a picture of a the e3 floor with New Super Mario Bros wii (u?) like a day or two before the official announcement was wild.

Back
Top Bottom