• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion What's next for Mario RPGs?

Arzest hired the folks from Alpha Dream,they worked on sakaguchi last game,just let them make a new one,they worked on the 3ds m&l games

Arzest hired the folks from Alpha Dream,they worked on sakaguchi last game,just let them make a new one,they worked on the 3ds m&l games
That would probably be a better option then asking them to make another platformer at least!

I have a hunch that if they were going to return to the original Paper Mario formula they will first introduce newer gen players with a remake of Paper Mario 64.
And the NSO port makes that pretty unlikely, huh? Less likely than a totally new RPG, at any rate. As much as I'd like to see one more classic style Paper Mario, I've made my peace with never seeing one and enjoying the originals.

I have a hunch that if they were going to return to the original Paper Mario formula they will first introduce newer gen players with a remake of Paper Mario 64.
Paper Mario 64 is already coming on NSO. TTYD is most likely to get a remaster/remake on Switch.

I really want another Mario RPG with some JRPG flavor. Crystals and castles and that medieval anime fantasy feeling. Mario RPG's have mostly been Mario with RPG mixed in. I want an RPG with Mario mixed in, if that makes sense.

Absolutely! I agree and your reasoning is sound, but its such a Nintendo thing to do to just remake the the first game and not TTYD (although I’d love to be wrong, I love TTYD)

I really want another Mario RPG with some JRPG flavor. Crystals and castles and that medieval anime fantasy feeling. Mario RPG's have mostly been Mario with RPG mixed in. I want an RPG with Mario mixed in, if that makes sense.
I know that this response is probably closer to "There should be a Mario RPG closer to Super Mario RPG," and admittedly I do prefer the "Mario as an RPG" approach over the "RPG with Mario in it" approach (can you tell I grew up with Paper Mario and not SMRPG?)...

...but now there's a small part of me that wants to see a true medieval fantasy Mario RPG. Like go all into it, make it an AU or frame it as a play the characters are in. I know that it'd never happen, but it'd be fun to see the malleability of these characters and worlds.

I love the idea of Monolith Soft making a Mario RPG. If Camelot or IS can’t do it anymore, then Monolith can give it a try if they want.

Takahashi doesn’t seem to care to fall back on Nintendo’s IP’s though.

I love the idea of Monolith Soft making a Mario RPG. If Camelot or IS can’t do it anymore, then Monolith can give it a try if they want.

Takahashi doesn’t seem to care to fall back on Nintendo’s IP’s though.
I don't really blame him.

I still can't believe the mario & luigi franchise kinda died, i hope someday another dev gives it a go. Paper Mario will return for sure the latest one was actually pretty good. Just hope they allow for more og characrers again next time.

I think it’s going to be on ice until a new dev does a good pitch to Nintendo about it. Main hope is that someone has already done that A+ pitch and we can see the results soon.

It would still be nice to get something more than Xenoblade from Monolith Soft (a new IP is preferred).
A new IP would be nice, but I'd rather more Xenoblade than Takahashi specifically taking on a Nintendo property.

MonolithSoft is different, as previously talked about in this thread I think Honne could do a Mario RPG justice.

A new IP would be nice, but I'd rather more Xenoblade than Takahashi specifically taking on a Nintendo property.

MonolithSoft is different, as previously talked about in this thread I think Honne could do a Mario RPG justice.
Yeah I’m talking about Monolith overall, not Takahashi specifically. Honne could pull it off. The cool looking Earthbound for GameCube came from him I believe.

Regardless of what developer takes on the project, I hope the result keeps the approachable nature of the existing Mario RPGs. While I respect the desire for higher difficulty as an option, the other games kept it simple, even to the point of super low numbers in Paper. Finding a balance in that would be key to me, personally.

Mario + Rabbids was great, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't overwhelmed by the skill trees and party composition of that game. But...I'm also pretty bad at strategy games, so I don't think that's totally the game's fault.

Wario(Ware) RPG could be dope. They already have a big colourful cast.

I've thought about this as well, perhaps building off of what GiT has done in making the characters actually playable, and if you could somehow implement a turn-based battle system and microgames together. A WarioWare RPG could be very fun!

I'd love a new Mario RPG. Nintendo has so many styles of RPG covered between Pokemon, Fire Emblem, and Xenoblade. And if Golden Sun is staying dead, I'd love to have Mario fill that role of "tradition RPG". I do have doubts we'll get another though. I enjoyed Origami King a lot and I wouldn't mind seeing that team build off of that base moving forward, and with Mario & Luigi sort of done, I'm not sure they'd give us another "traditional rpg" in that sense unless they have a fresh idea or "gimmick" for the gameplay. It would be a DREAM to have one before the next console.

I think the most important thing for me for a Mario RPG, even trumping the gameplay, would be the script and writing. The Mario RPGs are some of the funniest games I've played, and the characterizations they've given Peach and Bowser specifically I think have had the most influence over them as a whole. No matter how a new Mario RPG would play, I need to writing to be firing on all cylinders.

That's true. In Baten Kaitos there were certainly towns with aesthetics that would fit a Mario RPG nicely.

Like Reverence in BK1:
AZ5SbpK.jpg

Or that Mother game Honne tried to pitch:
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2..._pitching_earthbound_sequel_to_shigesato_itoi

As an artist and an art director he has a wide range.

Exactly, or Sedna:
6sjbt.png
which actually makes it interesting that he chose felt as the material for his Mother pitch (Four years before the Nintendo acquisition!).

Not to risk leading this discussion off-topic, but I would love to see what that Mother game could have become -- perhaps if the Mother-IP elements were removed and it became its own original title?
I've thought about this as well, perhaps building off of what GiT has done in making the characters actually playable, and if you could somehow implement a turn-based battle system and microgames together. A WarioWare RPG could be very fun!
I'm quite partial to the idea of Wario himself being the antagonistic figure the characters are rallying against, having been overtaken by his characteristic greed and become some manner of Greed Monster Wario.
Meanwhile Captain Syrup makes use of the distraction to raid his gold reserves.
But there are a lot of different forms a WarioWare RPG might take.
I think the most important thing for me for a Mario RPG, even trumping the gameplay, would be the script and writing. The Mario RPGs are some of the funniest games I've played, and the characterizations they've given Peach and Bowser specifically I think have had the most influence over them as a whole. No matter how a new Mario RPG would play, I need to writing to be firing on all cylinders.
The writing is absolutely an integral element of any Mario RPG. Even in more maligned entries of the Paper Mario series, the writing is usually pointed to as a strong point. One could almost see them removing combat entirely for an entry just to prove they can.

I wouldn’t mind Next Level taking a crack at it to be honest for another Mario & Luigi. I think they have the right sense of humor to handle the project (Luigi’s Mansion, Punch Out) and their art design would be top notch.

I would love a traditional, isometric Mario RPG with a job system.

The unique spin would be that they are all "Mario" jobs. Jobs he has had over the years.

One would be him in his Mario Golf uniform, Tennis, Mario Maker, fireflower, whichever.

Functionally they'd be similar to mage, priest, knight and the usual fare but they'd be costumes the Mario cast had over the years.

im feeling pretty optimistic about the series after the last one got the switch bump. mario RPGs are basically a nintendo staple at this point, and its pretty much a guarantee the switch2 will have something. and with the traditional controls of the switch hopefully it'll be more traditional RPG after the success of the last one.

I would love a traditional, isometric Mario RPG with a job system.

The unique spin would be that they are all "Mario" jobs. Jobs he has had over the years.

One would be him in his Mario Golf uniform, Tennis, Mario Maker, fireflower, whichever.

Functionally they'd be similar to mage, priest, knight and the usual fare but they'd be costumes the Mario cast had over the years.
Okay, I'd play the hell outta this game.

I'd be interested to see a Mario RPG use the same "HD-2D" approach as Octopath Traveler or Triangle Strategy.

Super Mario World style graphics in an isometric 3D world with nice HD effects would certainly be a bold look.

Back
Top Bottom