• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club Whatcha Playin’ This Weekend, Fam? Friday the 13th Edition |10/13-10/15|

Red Monster

Professional Conversationalist
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
Happy weekend, pals! We find ourselves in the middle of spooky season, and this Friday (read: today) is Friday the 13th. What better time than now to play something scary?

So am I gonna be playing something scary this weekend? Heck no, I’m a big scared baby. I’m gonna be spending my time with Starfield and the new Forza Motorsport. It’s an all-Xbox weekend, folks!

Have a great weekend, everyone. Stay safe and be on the lookout for hockey masks.

Stay safe and be on the lookout for hockey masks.
I’d like to see Mr. Voorhees try something against the murder shark I’m playing as in Maneater

I’m also thinking of finally trying out Resident Evil 7 just so I can learn if first-person is something I want from RE

Also uhh I’m still messing around in Tears of the Kingdom and trying to shake off my addiction to Suika

Finished off Resident Evil 3 Remake last night and don't want to start anything new with 2 big releases coming next week.

I think i'll mainly be playing Cult of the Lamb (Think this might technically count as a scary game haha) which i'm really getting into at the moment, its great fun and i've sunk a few hours into it already. Outside of that, i've not played Dragon Quest 11s for nearly 2 weeks now so I really should get back to that.

Have a great weekend Fami!

I'm driving across the country on Saturday with two children. I hope to finish the Water Temple in TOTK before then, and then I've been thinking about finally buying Sea of Stars to play in my handful of breaks from driving.

Got myself a new PC so kinda everything I missed. As of now Cyberpunk and tried out Starfield.
Cyberpunk flies on my new machine while Starfield chugs on ALL LOW SETTINGS WITH 50% RESOLUTION despite my PC having "recommended" specs.
Thanks bethesda love you too.

I should be able to finish Sea of Stars I think, feels like I am real close now.
Probably find some time for a couple of WC3 matches to...

And I might start up Red Dead Redemption to! I got the physical copy today, looking forward to that.

The weekend before Sony Playstation's Marvel's Spiderman...2. I gotta make this weekend count!

and by count, I mean more and more Starfield. I've gotten to a point in the main quest which is a bit more interesting than what was needed to do from the beginning, so now my interest is piquing more. I'm not going to beeline the story and beat it by next week cause I want to take my time playing it over time really.

Me and a friend will also try Redfall tomorrow on PC after that big patch. Going into it with an open mind but won't commit really.

Those are two definite games I'll be playing. Anything else could happen, but who knows.

Wrapping up that replay of Metroid Dread. Beyond that...

idk, I really really want to finish some VNs (yes, the same ones from earlier in the year)...

Started 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim and I'll be focusing on this for the weekend. I'm very confused but also very intrigued by the story. I've heard so much praise for this game in the past so I've got really high expectations for it. So far, it is fulfilling my expectations. The story goes in 13 wildly different directions (I assume) and I'm only slowly piecing together what exactly happened. The temptation to just watch a Youtube video on what the story is exactly about is sooooooo strong but I think this is a story that you really want to put together yourself. Must resist clicking the wiki links!

Considering that I will be making my month-long trip to NYC next week, I'm also considering what games I should bring with me there. So far, my plan is to bring Pokemon Violet (for the raids), Fatal Frame (Halloween?), Tunic and Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes. And probably 13 Sentinels (if I have not 100% the story by then).

Beat RE4: Separate Ways a few nights ago, one of the best DLCs I've played in recent memory. Capcom knocked it out of the park.

On Mission 7 of Front Mission 2 Remake, so more of that. Hard game is hard (but really fun).

Iru!

This first person horror game for PS1 game got a fan translation a year or two ago (it was apparently in the works for 12 years?!), where you are in an after school club prepping for a festival and people start dying around you and you have to escape/hide from creatures during scripted events and do inventory puzzling. Seems to be rather short (so I've seen online) so will get this finished over the weekend, I reckon.

Been slacking, but I think tonight I'll finally start up Alan Wake and get through it by the end of Sunday

I'm gonna leave Starfield in the background this weekend and keep going with Sea of Stars, which has clicked with me more and more as I've played.

Also gonna watch the rugby world cup quarter finals and go to some sort of bird sanctuary this weekend woop woop.

I've made it to the Grand Archives in Dark Souls 3, so not much left for me before I face the final boss. Might be able to take care of that this weekend. I'll still have the Nameless King and all the DLC ahead of me before I can say I finished the game.

I’ll be playing “staring at the Spider-Man 2 preload on my PS5.”

Really though I’ll be trying to close up Starfield before the onslaught of games next week.

I WANTED to play some of my switch backlog since I'm away from Yakuza (I mean, home) this weekend. What i AM playing, however, is a Pokémon Crystal romhack

I think this is gonna be a weekend of wrapping some things up ahead of Mario Wonder next week. Just finished Mass Effect 1 earlier today, I'm about halfway through Pumpkin Jack (at least judging by the Steam achievements), and I'm a few levels into the +2 part of Tony Hawk 1+2.

Also might end up trying to squeeze in a little bit of Mario Land 2 just to somewhat sate the Mario cravings.

Just beat Sea of Stars -

After a somewhat slow start.. I ended up really really enjoying it.
went straight in to the top 5, possibly top 3 this year.

This means I will be able to start RDR this weekend to =)

My interest in Magia Record was quietly building again thanks to the new Madoka movie hype, the avatar bet I ran, and a glance at the wiki. I knew there were some text translations of Arc 2 on the wiki and as I was poking around I noticed links to Youtube videos (far more than the last time I looked years back). Two nights ago my interest boiled over and I checked one out and I was blown away that fans have been translating and injecting text in a way that makes it look like the English game never shut down. Obviously you don’t get to play the game or even see the enemies / bosses, but this is by far the next best thing. It’s only halfway done, but that’s still about 30 hours of new fully voiced story to enjoy!

Aside from diving into that, I’m halfway through Mario Golf 64 and just unlocked Yoshi so that’s the main game I’m actually playing. If I beat that, I’ll start my Final Fantasy Tactics Advance replay. I’m hoping to get some Pokemon online co-op in again but I forgot to plan it in advance so it might not happen. I also need to get back to F-Zero 99 and decide if I’m doing a New Game+ playthrough of Nayuta Boundless Trails. So many games, not enough time!

It's that time of the week again! And that time of the year, too! Switched my PC's ARGB devices to Autumn orange and set up a falling leaves wallpaper. It's time for comfy gaming

Wich is business as usual, but now with cloudy skies and cold breeze coming from the window.

Ok, where do i start? How about a recap of the week? Because it has been a prollific gaming week. I have spent a lot of time playing Tears of the Kingdom, i decided to wake up the great fairies and turns out that i had almost completed that already! Only one musician to go, however, since i don't teleport i spent a lof of time going from fountain to fountain, and getting distracted in the way. Kinda missing some of the negative space BotW gave you. Also played a lot - certainly not as much as TotK - Cyberpunk 2077 and Pokémon, but that one deserves its own recap. However, the highlight of the week is taking out my Wii U again and setting up Retroarch! Playstation games on the Gamepad, baby! That said, let's go with my weekend planning:

Pokémon Fire Red
You guessed it, everyone did, but it's still part of the show. First thing i did this week was taking out my Wii U to play it on the gamepad - don't ask me why, but it feels wrong to play GBA games on my 3DS - At first i was going to inject it as a GBA Virtual Console game, but then i researched save game dumping and injection and it's too cumbersome, so mGBA it is.

Well, i didn't go as far as i expected to, but i still advanced a fair bit. I found the secret key inside the Pokémon Mansion and challenged Blaine, only to be taken to the Sevii islands by Bill with an unbalanced team designed to beat the Cinnabar Gym and no way to switch it, wich made some battles certainly uncomfortable, however, i went back to Cinnabar after finishing my business (Bill's business, really) there and suited up for what's coming up next: The Viridian Gym.

This is my current team:
  • PiroDoggo the Arcanine (lv. 35) - Almost untouched since Fuchsia. By the time i reached the Third island in Sevii the PC was already available, so he leveled up a bit on Berry forest. He'll be useful agaisn't Giovanni's Beedrill.
  • GoofyDraco the Dragonite (lv. 36) - A very competent ally agaisn't Blaine's lackeys, GoofyDraco fried everything in her way and finished it with Twister, hanging on thanks to her fire resistance. Thinking on rotating her for something else for the moment, but i don't know for what yet.
  • ToFeo the Electabuzz (lv. 38) - Hey, look! ToFeo leveled up even further during the assault on the Pokémon Mansion, and then went and caused a ruckus agaisnt the random Sevii trainers. Still a great lightscreen setter and a deadly physical fighter, his Brick Break has broken many Ice and rock types' hopes and dreams
  • Ferryman the Lapras (lv. 38) - Ok look, i wanted to play it fair and have a decent challenge on Cinnabar Gym, but it's just too tempting to grab a water Pokémon and Surf everything to oblivion. Ferryman crushed everything in his path and took no prisioners, so he leveled up a fair bit. Maybe i should rotate Blasto back to the team, if anything, for the final confrontation agaisnt the TRash boss.
  • Bullcharge the Rhyhorn (lv. 38) - Ferryman's companion in the Cinnabar Gym's annihilation. Despite having leveled up, she didn't learn anything new and i'm not sure if i want to rotate her or not. I mean, she'll be a great help agaisn't Giovanni's Nidoqueen, but she's still a rhyhorn...
  • FARFI the Farfetch'd (lv. 38) - FARFI is still the scourge of everything that lives and is holy, and a flying type will come in handy agaisnt all those deadly earthquakes, so he stay. Watch out, Giovi, lil' dude can dance, and he knows Steel Wing.
Targets for the weekend are the Viridian Gym and then going back to the Power Plant and catch Zapdos, and most likely a lot of grinding in the middle. Can't get into the Victory Road unprepared :)

Either Cyberpunk 2077 or Tears of the Kingdom
Again, i've been playing both this week and i'm aching to keep playing them, but the weekend is short and i don't want to spread myself too thin, wichever i boot up first will be the one i'll be playing until monday.

On one hand, Cyberpunk's story got me, i just completed Panam's section and have a lot of sidequests waiting for me to grab my shiny new bike and go complete them, on the other, i want to finish unlocking all the great fairies before going back to the main story in TotK and face the thrid temple. Since the last one is near Gerudo, i guess that temple is next. Also, i need more materials, and find Dragon Zelda to get the Master Sword and some scales for my Hero's tunic.

As for the side dishes, i was planning Forza Motorsport, but it's discarded thanks to the PC version's login glitch wich has completely cut me out of the game, but i'm in a racing mood, so for side dishes i'll be playing mostly Gran Turismo 7 and, likely, Grid Autosport. Also, add anything Neo Geo, i want some arcade fun with 8bitdo's controller.

Need something comfy to play right now, so I will pull the ultimate comfort food card and get cosy with Link's Awakening.

What backlog?

I'll be playing Advance Wars for the first time with the reboot camp version on switch! Already played a tiny bit this morning and I liked what I saw. Also, the map theme is a banger and the ost in general sounded great from the small sample I heard.

Besides that, I probably don't have that much time, though if I can find some room in my schedule I'll probably play some Splatoon 1 matches and maybe start Pikmin 2 since the physical version finally released :D (already beat 1)

Been watching a lot of spooky stuff and wrapped up Metroid Dread during the week, so I'm taking a Scary Break and playing a bunch of Forza! It's great!

I'm going to try and beat Ys X on Switch by Monday. Also I started a replay of Bayonetta 1 on PS5. After playing it handheld a few times, it feels good to have a nice looking version for TV finally. Lamplighters continues to be bad on Xbox so I'm waiting on patches there. I'm tempted to get Lords of the Fallen as well after the RPG Site review but waiting for Digital Foundry to discuss it on console. Hope you all have a good weekend.

Continuing with Paper Mario on the N64 NSO! I've beaten 3 bosses so far, and I'm hoping to power through the rest of it before the big releases this Friday.

Finished FF VI this week, which completed my playthrough of all six of the FF Pixel Remasters! I replayed Spider-Man and Miles Morales both in New Game Plus to prep for next Friday but in the mean time, I’m finally starting up FF VII! So excited to play this one given all I’ve heard about it over the years.

BEEP BEEP

ovgvUvz.gif

This weekend I am playing the Phoenix Wrigth Ace Attorney collection. I’m already at the third game: Trials and Tribulations. I’m in the second case, the Stolen Turnabout. Already on the second phase of the last trial day in that case. Am eager to finally arrive to the fifth and last case: Bridge to the Turnabout, which is one of the series’ best final cases.

Also wanna finish this game to get into the Great Ace Attorney Chronicles game. Have never played them. Not even the first entry that’s the only one that got localized. They’re made by the series’ original creator, Shu Takumi, so am eager to give ‘em a try!

Finished Detective Pikachu Returns
Mewtwo wooped the villain's ass lol lmao. I also half expected the Pikachu say when it looks at the camera sequel?

I'm playing Blasphemous 2 and so far it's been so good. I loved 1 and this one is actually less punishing (especially with pitfalls) so I don't have to worry to much for those type of mistakes now

just been bouncing back and forth between the first WarioWare and Rhythm Tengoku on a whim. this weekend’s theme is “GBA games composed of minigames where you push the button at the right time”

SIGNALIS tonight for spooky survival horror times (and my first forum badge 👀 ) this game really has my attention, it's very engaging in a lot of ways I enjoy. Tank controls, dialogue boxes, and three hit kills for the fucking win my friends!

SIGNALIS tonight for spooky survival horror times (and my first forum badge 👀 ) this game really has my attention, it's very engaging in a lot of ways I enjoy. Tank controls, dialogue boxes, and three hit kills for the fucking win my friends!

Signalis is absolutely fantastic, very jealous I can't go through it for the first time again lol the story ended up hitting me really hard by the end too.

I've been chipping away at Detective Pikachu and Assassin's Creed, still having a lot of fun with both but I also randomly picked up Wargroove and that game is so good.

Signalis is absolutely fantastic, very jealous I can't go through it for the first time again lol the story ended up hitting me really hard by the end too.

I've been chipping away at Detective Pikachu and Assassin's Creed, still having a lot of fun with both but I also randomly picked up Wargroove and that game is so good.
:trashpeek:

You’re not one of the weekend thread regulars! Good to see ya pal 😀

Well, it was an... unexpectedly harsh weekend. Not only busy as fuck, but also a bit fucked up on a personal level. Let's just say i wasn't able to focus very much on the gaming side of things, and i played stuff that, mostly, didn't force me to think.

Let's start with Pokémon Fire Leaf
When the weekend started, i was ready to set sail from Cinnabar, destroy some swimmers' hopes and dreams and challenge the Viridian Gym, and so i did, but i rotated some of my Pokémon before doing so. Also, i stopped at home to say hi to mom. Always call or pay a visit to your mom, fami! She worries a lot about you and your 'mons.

After i beat Giovanni and definitely jettisoned the TRash directly into the sun from Kanto, i got the mighty EARTHQUAKE TM, multiplied it and proceed to teach it to every 'mon in my rotation box that could learn it. As a side comment, i've always had a soft spot for game series' Giovanni and feel like they didn't explore him at all, like, he gives kind of a grey morality feel? Viridian Gym Giovanni and even Sylph Giovanni gives a less merciless feeling than his useless goons.

That said! As i intended, i flew to the Power Plant and, after spending some time grinding there, i went directly to catch Zapdos, who then proceeded to break 1 fucking 50 Ultraballs - my Wii U Gamepad was in serious danger here, i swear - wich prompted me to do a Jesus Christ and multiply - in this case create it, too - my Master Ball to catch the anatomically impossible thunder bird. I had no patience this weekend, sorry.

I saved after catching Zapdos, and this is my team at the moment:
  • PiroDoggo the Arcanine (lv. 37) - Tucked him into the PC before challenging the Cinnabar Gym, so he's a bit underleveled, but was mighty useful at the Power Plant, and even raised a couple of levels while grinding there. His moveset hasn't almost changed aside of teaching him Flamethrower.
  • FARFI the Farfetch'd (lv. 40) - Great help in the battle agaisnt Giovanni, not so much after that. He was able dance enough times to sweep the floor with anything Rock type.
  • ElPreparao the Nidoking (lv. 38) - He was there at Sylph, and had to be there at Viridian. His horn was the bane of everything that Giovanni threw at him, but with the risk of being hit by a super effective Ground attack. Still the dangerous mofo he's always been, and now knows Earthquake, so he's potentially deadly.
  • Blasto the Blastoise (lv. 39) - Just like ElPreparao, he just had to be there. Call me crazy, but i didn't use him as much as i should because i wanted the battle to be ✨EPIC✨, so i had to show some restraint. Still, he took out Giovi's flagship Pokémon, and was taught Earthquake as a result. I also caved in and teached him Surf, so he's significantly more lethal now.
  • GoofyDraco the Dragonair (lv. 37) - I put her in the team to fight Giovi, but i shouldn't have to. Why? you may be asking: Well, because this genius of a trainer she has didn't remember she doesn't know any Ice Type or Water Type attack, so her role was limited to a couple of Thunder Waves. At least she didn't faint this time.
  • ToFeo the Electabuzz (lv. 39) - I rescued him from the PC to catch Zapdos, and it was a good idea. He was fast enough to paralyze the anatomically impossible bird right at the first turn, buuuuuuuuuuuut he got a critical Drill Peck afterwards, and fainted miserably, he didn't even had time to put on a Light Screen.
So, what do i do now? Now it's time for wild grinding before Victory Road! That's right, my rotation box ranges between lv 20 and lv 38 so it's time to mindlessly grind until they're all ready to face the Victory Road, no matter wich ones i pick for the endeavor. I have no plans after that.

As a second game, i picked up Cyberpunk 2077 but didn't go too far. I started a quest, then Panam called me in the middle of said quest, left it to help Panam and now i'm stuck trying to enter undetected the base of a heavily armed Nomad clan to rescue some asshole, and then shit hit the fan and i stopped being able to think properly for the rest of the weekend, so i'm still stuck there, waiting. Maybe i'll try to get out of that mess through the week.

And as for the side dishes, i played Forza Motorsport almost exclusively. I've fallen in love with the driving model and i'm enjoying the game more than i'm willing to admit. Sucks that it doesn't have a Gran Turismo style of progression, but at least it's not Asetto Corsa. Even tried the online! Just one race though.

And that was my weekend. Temps are going down through the week (if the weather forecast is to be believed) so i have some comfy bed gaming coming. Objectives for the week are to grind my Pokémon to exhaustion, complete the rescue in Cyberpunk somehow and... i dunno, get myself back on my feet one way or another.

Hope you guys have had a great week'nd!

I ended up having a very excellent weekend just for games that I really enjoyed! While Pokemon co-op had to get postponed, that might have been for the best as I really got to dig into everything else. Friday I finished watching Arc 2 Chapter 1 for Magia Record’s main story and Another Story on Youtube with the fan translation. Loved the premise it laid out for Arc 2 and I’m interested in the new factions and characters introduced with Promised Blood being my favorite. Saturday I was happy to wrap up Mario Golf 64 by claiming the gold trophies in the last two courses. I hadn’t played the game before so I walked away impressed how much they nailed it the first time.

After that I started my Final Fantasy Tactics Advance replay and wow I’m hooked! I’m about a third of the way through the main story and I’m just really digging the loop here of taking on normal missions while juggling dispatch missions and planning and managing my character growth with the job system. It’s been a while since I last played a more breezy Tactics game so it’s been extra refreshing there (I remember it getting way harder as it goes though lol). Seems I have a pretty busy week ahead on multiple fronts, so the good memories of this weekend might have to carry me for a while haha.

With the kids with their mom and my gf on a business trip, I had a whole weekend of gaming to myself for the first time in months!
I decided it was time to tackle that Gamepass backlog before more interesting games leave the catalog!

Spent Friday night on Dordogne and I'm left wondering how it could be reviewed so high. Sure the art direction is cute, but it kinda falls apart in movement. It only really shines in screenshots. The tiny bits of gameplay the game has to offer are boring at best and annoying at times. The story is ok, a bittersweet mix of childhood nostalgia, loss of loved ones, family feuds and child abuse. But it's not told very convincingly and the game left me largely unimpressed (disclaimer: am French and familiar with the Dordogne region).

After Dordogne, I started Sea of Stars. I liked the Messenger, I played the demo and was aware of the game's stellar reviews, but since I'm not too much into the 90s JRPG nostalgia-thing, I half expected to get bored with the game pretty fast. Well I was so wrong about that. The game is so good! A perfect mix of 90s JRPGs, Zelda and Paper Mario in a superb "retro yet modern" package. I think I'm about 2/3 into the main story now and I can't wait to pick it up again tonight. My only gripes with the game are 1. the difficulty which is all over the place 2. the music which is largely unremarkable to me. Well, and bouncing that moonerang around does get a bit old after a while.

I was planning on playing Chained Echoes next, but that might be too much retro-RPG at once. How does it compare with Sea of Stars? I might keep it for later and instead play Chants of Sennaar whose demo got me completely hooked.

Last edited:
I've made it to the Grand Archives in Dark Souls 3, so not much left for me before I face the final boss. Might be able to take care of that this weekend. I'll still have the Nameless King and all the DLC ahead of me before I can say I finished the game.
Ended-up beating the base Dark Souls 3 game (including defeating the Nameless King on my second try wooo). Now just have the DLC ahead of me.

I didn't get a whole lot of gaming done this past weekend. I was able to spend about two hours with Forza and an hour with Starfield Saturday night, but that was it. Both Friday night and Sunday night saw me passed out on the couch before 10pm. I've been feeling really worn out lately and it's been tough for me to stay up late. And since late in the evening is my only time to play, that makes for not so much gaming!

I might keep it for later and instead play Chants of Sennaar whose demo got me completely hooked.

It's SO good, hope to see your thoughts back on that one!

:trashpeek: sorry that you're struggling to find energy and quality gaming time @Red Monster , please take it easy and just take it a day at a time :) I'm going to try and make sure to dip into these each weekend, it's a good way of getting what I'm playing out there and finding a bit of inspiration from everyone else

I just encountered a very large
bleeding machine replika in the surgery room and defeated it
and I can’t stop thinking about the game, it’s so so so so good. The puzzles are a real treat, very inventive and fun to decipher.

Back
Top Bottom