• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club Whatcha Playin’ This Weekend, Fam? |11/10-11/12|

Red Monster

Professional Conversationalist
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
Hello and welcome to our weekly weekend thread! This is the place to talk about your weekend plans, what video games you’re gonna play, and how your weekend turned out. You know how it works. Get after it.

I’m going to be playing the Final Fantasy VII Remake InterMISSION Yuffie DLC. I need to play this DLC before Rebirth. It’s short and I’m already halfway through, so I expect to finish it this weekend. I’m also still playing Pokemon Crystal Legacy. I’m slowly making my way through the game, and right now I’m in Goldenrod City getting ready to face that infamous Miltank.

Since there’s a good chance I’m going to finish the Yuffie DLC, I’ll be starting something else too, but I’m not sure what yet. I’ve got some Steam games waiting for me; maybe I’ll start En Garde! or Pizza Tower. Or maybe I’ll start Alan Wake Remastered. Who knows!

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

Will most likely end up putting tons of more hours into Fashion Dreamer. So many more looks to explore: I'm planning on abandoning the vivid looks and go for a monochrome style for a while, and I can't stop making lookits for strangers.

(Also... Totally not at all feeling the pull for a 5th TotK playthrough though ... I think...)

I really want to roll credits on the good ending of Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (PS4).

I also want to finish Resident Evil 2 remake (PS4) so I can finally circle back to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch) and start Tears of the Kingdom. I really want to play Super Mario Bros. Wonder, but I can’t justify buying a new game without at least starting Zelda which I bought four months ago.

Today I finished Super Mario Wonder, not 100% but I’ve got as much as I can right now as some of those special worlds are kicking my ass.

Won’t start anything new as Mario RPG is next week so I’ll continue with Dragon Quest 11s and Cult of the Lamb.

Have a great weekend Fami!

I thought I was about ready to put THPS 1+2 down for a bit, and then I learned about a mod that adds in all the levels from 3 and 4 (and some from Underground 1), so I'll probably be messing around with that this weekend

Also obviously gonna be doing some Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Gotta make sure I have all cups three-starred again for (probably) the last time

I've returned to  Starfield today, because I'd at least like to finish the main quest before deciding if I'm going to keep playing for the long term.

I got turned down after two job interviews this week and got the bad news from both places this morning, so I'm going to spend the weekend sulking and recuperating from the disappointment. I could go back to Sea of Stars for post-game and the search for the true ending, or finally start Octopath Traveler 2.

edit - also, definitely getting some Mario Kart 8 DX in, because it's an all time great.

Continuing on with the demo for Crymachina, moonring and various and sundry VNs. Also I've heard there's a demo out for Inti Creates' Yohane game, so if it's on Switch, I'll check that out. Still no TV, so I'm not eager to go back to something major.

Since tomorrow is 11/11, I will make a point to not go into the city today because I am not insane enough to head into Cologne on that particular day especially on a weekend. Might make for some additional game time.

This weekend is another 3DS-focused weekend for me. I will probably be continuing on my journey in Pokemon LeafGreen, where I am working on leveling up my Pokemon so I can take down the Elite Four. I will also be playing Rhythm Heaven Megamix - I'm almost through the story and this game is honestly one of my favorites I've played this year.

I bounced off persona 5... I think cause the setting? I haven't been to school for 30 years, and I didn't like it then.

Gonna try again later, but in the meantime I'm digging into Cult of the Lamb. Ironic, cause I haven't been to a church in even longer, and hated it even more.

...maybe it's because this time I'M being worshipped? 🤷‍♂️

You saying this whilst having a Persona 5 profile picture is very funny to me.

well, I was doing this thing where I changed my avatar to the game I'm playing... which is starting to feel like a chore

...now if you will excuse me, I have to clean up my follower's poop.

Continuing my crime solving ventures in Ghost Trick and Frog Detective. I'm also still playing way more Suika Game than I should.

Hopefully gonna finish Sonic Superstars. Enjoyed the game but the bosses towards the end are some bullshit.

I finished Final Fantasy Tactics Advance last night which was awesome so my weekend belongs to Like A Dragon Gaiden and playing Mario Kart with friends and family. If I finish LAD Gaiden, I’ll be rolling into my first ever 100% replay of Donkey Kong 64 which is the last game in my final Wii U games project I’ve been tackling all year. As for other stuff, I did start Arc 2 Chapter 3 of the Magia Record fan translation so maybe I’ll sneak in some of that. I don’t expect to play any Pokemon co-op or F-Zero 99, but maybe!

Twenty-one weeks of Tears of the Kingdom and the conclusion glows red in the distance. I’m slaying monsters that once made me flee, solving legendary quests and feats, I’m about to start on my final phenomena, etc.

I really don’t think I’ll beat this game before the end of the year, my work/life balance is lunacy right now. :LOL:

I've got nothing, Fami.

Which in a way it's good, because I got a shit ton of stuff to take care of this weekend, but in a way it sucks because I wanted to do some gaming, damn it.

My gaming schedule is actually empty until SteamWorld Build in early December, which is a game I had forgotten was coming out until a few minutes ago.

Mostly Star Ocean 2. I wanna take this game, storm into Namco Bandai's offices and scream "this is what you need to do with older Tales games!".

Other than that I expect to have few more MK1 matches, try Salt and Sacrifice, and progress further in Thirsty Suitors, Song of Nunu and Sandrock. But yeah, mostly SO2.

This weekend I'm playing the Great Ace Attorney Chronicles, more specifically, the second game: Resolve. I'm finishing the third case of the game, and it has really hooked me up! Really loving this new project the series' creator made. My goal is to finish TGAA in order to concentrate on SMRPG!

I beat Alan Wake early Friday morning and then beat American Nightmare late Friday night and now I've started Alan Wake II. Definitely fast tracked this franchise.

I've been enjoying the series even if American Nightmare was questionable to the point I think people would be safe skipping it. Only played one chapter of II but so far I really like it. Has a lot of the right changes for the series, slower tone, a bit more horror, etc. Maybe a few modern game design trends that aren't my favorite but I can't complain too much.

This weekend i've been caught off guard by the announcement of the early public Beta of Pretendo, so my plans have changed drastically.

So i'll grab my Wii U gamepad, set up my 3DS and play a lot of

Super Mario Maker
While i'm a relatively good writer, everything graphic is not exactly my forte, however, i loved the original Mario Maker with all my might so of course i'll be playing this.

Steel Diver Subwars
Of effin' course i'm going to test this! My favorite bedtime multiplayer game by far. However, i used to play it on my o3DS with the circle pad pro, i wonder how it will play with the N3DS' uncomfortable nub.

Xenoblade Chronicles X
It isn't part of the beta, but i've been wanting to start a new save for a while, and November puts me in the mood for some Xenoblade X so here we go!

As for the side games...

Pokémon Fire Red
It feels weird to see it here, right? There isn't much left to do in the game, through the week i did the Sevii post-game and now i only need to catch Ho-oh, Lugia and Mewtwo, as well as the Deoxys and Mew from the events. Technically, i've finished the game, but i won't see it as such until i got them all, because i plan to transfer them to my next pokémon Playthrough.

Gran Turismo 7
Mostly for the weekly challenges, but yeah. There's so much to play thanks to the Pretendo beta that i wont have much time to play anything else.

Forza Motorsport
Like GT7, mostly for my daily racing fix. I finished a retro event yesterday so now i need to think about wich one i'll play next.

Dug deep into my backlog and started to play Dragon Quest Treasures because I needed something cosy. I might also continue with Front Mission 1st, should I find myself in the mood for it.

Also mean to check out MK8 now that all the DLC is out. Haven't played it since the first wave, iirc.

I ended up blasting through the rest of the Yuffie DLC last night. It’s really short! But I enjoyed it, and now I feel fully prepared for Rebirth (which is out in just a few months!).

I started En Garde! after the credits finished for Yuffie. I only played a half an hour, but first impressions aren’t bad. It’s a fairly standard action game, X to attack, Y to parry, etc. You have a kick that spices things up at least - it’s fun to kick dudes down the stairs or into the sea. Visually it’s very pretty, but it makes my laptop sound like a jet engine.

I’m starting to regret getting a gaming laptop instead of a desktop. A laptop was the right move at the time, but now it lives on my desk, hooked up to a monitor and speakers and all that. It never moves. I think a desktop might be in my future at some point..

I thought I was about ready to put THPS 1+2 down for a bit, and then I learned about a mod that adds in all the levels from 3 and 4 (and some from Underground 1), so I'll probably be messing around with that this weekend

Also obviously gonna be doing some Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Gotta make sure I have all cups three-starred again for (probably) the last time
Oh, this sounds cool! Are you playing on PC? I have THPS 1+2 on Switch and PS5, neither of which are mod-able of course. I’d love to hear what you think of the new levels!

I've returned to  Starfield today, because I'd at least like to finish the main quest before deciding if I'm going to keep playing for the long term.

I got turned down after two job interviews this week and got the bad news from both places this morning, so I'm going to spend the weekend sulking and recuperating from the disappointment. I could go back to Sea of Stars for post-game and the search for the true ending, or finally start Octopath Traveler 2.

edit - also, definitely getting some Mario Kart 8 DX in, because it's an all time great.
Sorry to hear about the jobs, pal 😣 I need to get back to Starfield myself. I’ll probably just focus on the main quest too. That game is so big and so overwhelming!

Dug deep into my backlog and started to play Dragon Quest Treasures because I needed something cosy. I might also continue with Front Mission 1st, should I find myself in the mood for it.

Also mean to check out MK8 now that all the DLC is out. Haven't played it since the first wave, iirc.
Isn’t it fun to start playing something that’s been sitting in your backlog forever? It’s a good feeling. Playing the games we’ve purchased? What a concept! Haha

I've been having a hell of a time with going back to uni, but I finally managed to find some time to sit down and play some rounds of Slay the Spire. It's addictive!

I also wish Super Mario RPG had come out a week earlier, because I will have some free time this week as well and was hoping to make the most out of it. Bad luck!

My Achilles tendinitis is feelin’ a little nasty this weekend, which means a buncha time playing visual games! Fashion Dreamer, Like A Dragon Gaiden, and some MGS 3 (against my better judgment, bought it on Switch).

I’m starting to regret getting a gaming laptop instead of a desktop. A laptop was the right move at the time, but now it lives on my desk, hooked up to a monitor and speakers and all that. It never moves. I think a desktop might be in my future at some point..
Ha, I'm in pretty much same boat. I got a laptop like 6 or 7 years ago when I was still in college and it made sense to have a computer that could travel, but for the past couple years it's basically just lived on my desk. Now that it's starting to literally fall apart, I'm thinking I'll finally invest in a proper desktop this time
Oh, this sounds cool! Are you playing on PC? I have THPS 1+2 on Switch and PS5, neither of which are mod-able of course. I’d love to hear what you think of the new levels!
Yeah, I'm playing the Steam version on a steam deck; so far it's pretty neat. I'd almost compare it to a more extreme version of Mario Kart's booster course DLC since it's essentially just more content without the kind of polish that 1+2's "base game" has. So far Canada from THPS3 and Manhattan from THUG1 have probably been my favorites.

They all still very much look 6th-gen, and while some of the triggers for park goals are still there, it doesn't seem to be able to recognize when you've completed any (and it doesn't have a tracked list of goals either). But they all feel good to play and that's what really matters at the end of the day (so far the only bug I've encountered is that Skater Island has no sound effects at all).

The mod also has some quality of life aspects on its own. For example, you can turn off traffic if you want, and also change the lighting on every level to make it morning, day, evening, or night. And that's pretty cool to have. It also seems really ambitious, because the level select that it adds includes I think every Tony Hawk game (the stages that aren't available are just grayed out), so I'll definitely be keeping on eye on it and see how far the modder takes things.

Success. 5 hours on Kindle so far today. Rewarding myself with some Risk of Rain Returns.

I'm actually not sure! I finished Mario Wonder last week, and I might not get back to Spider Man until I have a few days off for Thanksgiving. There are some sports I want to watch this weekend on top of chores I already need to do, so if I play anything, it might just be something short to kill time.

Didn't want to start a game in my backlog since SMRPG is next weekend so mostly the MK8D DLC and Suika game or however it is spelled

I finished The Last Guardian yesterday. I'm so glad I played this game after getting a cat, because I was able to better appreciate all of Trico's movement and animations. I think the game overstayed its welcome for me - or at the very least, stretched Trico's AI a bit too much with some of the puzzles. There were many times I knew where to go but had the most frustrating time getting Trico to make their leaps. When the game worked though the experience was amazing. Hopefully Fumito Ueda's next game w/ Epic is proceeding smoothly (and that it gets ported to consoles).

I started playing both Sackboy: A Big Adventure and SteamWorld Heist, so those will probably be what keeps me busy this weekend.

Last edited:
I finished the Gunbrella demo on the Switch and...I knew I would like the game based on previous indie showcases but it really did hook me. I bought the main game for $12 which is great (it's usually $14.99 but I had some gold points left over) plus it's pretty short according to HowLongToBeat. I'll be playing that off and on this weekend.

I plan on starting Star Ocean Second Story R tomorrow. I didn't start it earlier in the week due to working on some other stuff but hoping to get to it before the end of the weekend.

My SO and their kids all recently namedropped Starcraft and Diablo in the last two weeks, so naturally I've been getting my suite of 90's PC games back up and running. I don't think I'm going to really stick with them but it's been fun firing up the ol' Blizzard, id, and Epic titles and poking around for a few minutes and it soothed whatever nerve they struck.

Also I'm pretty sure I had my first "old man yells at cloud" as getting some of these games running in 16:9 feels like an affront to <deity> for some games but feels really good for others. I am conflicted.

Other than that, did some board gaming today (and finishing organizing / condensing a few games) and I'm about to settling into some SMB Wonder before bed, and hoping to play more tomorrow.

Got about 3 chapters into Alan Wake II, and I think I'm almost done with the 4th one.

Overall I'm extremely conflicted. On the one hand I love how weird and unique this game is, it's such an inspired work, and while I'm usually not one for gluttony I can't help but admire how insane the budget and technical craft behind this game is. The story (so far) is genuinely great with an ethos that just propels the entire experience, this is one of those rare cases where taking a silly quirky game and turning it into a dark tale actually works. Yes, the Twin Peaks The Return comparisons are valid.

However, while I'd be remisce to say the gameplay is worse than the original it's ... definitely less considered overall? Which is weird because the craft here is off the charts. The original was a simple, tight RE4 style horror thriller with an emphasis on action that straddled the line between generic fun and clunky. The switch to survival horror in Alan Wake II is a good one but frankly it's ... not executed well at all so far?

The game spends so much time having fake gameplay, and not even in the traditional sense of walking and talking, but just a lot of exploration and Ace Attorneying that amounts to nothing. I'm fine with a little filler added to give a game style, style is substance. But the actual gameplay isn't great either, mainly because they get a lot of crucial things wrong. Exploration here mostly amounts to walking in environments that are hard to distinguish from each other and look almost exactly the same, but the map doesn't do a good job of differentiating actual points of interest and small item pickups. Most of the time your reward for exploration is shit, and despite the game bringing the gunplay up to par with what someone would expect from a 2023 game, the nerfs to the dodge are just too much. It's so unreliable and enemies can become so unpredictable you'll just die almost immediately. And don't get me started on the save system, which is terrible. The game almost never has checkpoints even after major events, something I'd normally like in a game especially in a survival horror game, but the lamps and coffee thermoses are so poorly placed I end up not liking it at all.

This all culminated in me having to replay the last 10 minutes of chapter 3 because the game failed to autosave after I finished the chapter, starting a level where I explored a lot of a side area, went back to the main area only to realize I had to do something the game didn't explain before in the side area to progress, found out I missed a bunch of shit in the side area because everything looks the same, then I died the moment I realized what I was supposed to do and had to restart 10 minutes earlier. Then I had to do that again. Finally I realized my mistake was even engaging in the combat mechanics in the first place instead of just instantly running away, once you run away the game doesn't even put up a fight. Even though there's already barely any combat encounters in the game ... in a survival horror game ... where your entire reward for exploration is resources that you never use. Yeah.

It's good, but I wish the game design was better.

Ok Romero's book is amazing. Anyone have other game-related book recommendations? Else I'll jump into Silmarillion.

My weekend report post: Mario Kart day was a big success! Got a group of seven family and friends together which is the most I’ve had at once. We played the new tracks and then did a best of three rounds, 3 v 4 team race to end it. My team of three managed to get the ultimate win so that was cool.

I also have started getting further in Like A Dragon Gaiden. I’m still in chapter 2 somehow, but I’ve seen all of the major types of side quests / content finally. I think I might go for the Platinum since it’s seemingly unusually not horrendous? The only thing I’d have to go out of my way for are the two clubs that I don’t care about. Everything else I’m excited to tackle this week.

I had a good gaming weekend! I started and finished the FF7R DLC, started and finished En Garde!, and made my way to Olivine City in Crystal Legacy.

I’ve already talked about the Yuffie DLC in this thread, but I’ll say again that I really enjoyed it despite its incredibly short length. En Garde! is a punchy little cartoony sword fight action game that’s got a lot of heart and charm, and it’s also incredibly short at only three hours. And finally, my team in Crystal Legacy is nearly complete and I’m having a blast.

I’m not sure what I’m going to play next. I need to get back to Starfield, after setting it down for Spider-Man 2, but it doesn’t excite me that much. I also had set Forza down at the same time. So maybe I’ll just go back to those..

It wasn't that exciting of a gaming weekend for me, and I didn't get a lot of playtime in. Like I said, I did some grinding to get most of my Pokemon into into the level 40-45 range in LeafGreen, but I want to get up into the 50s with all of them before I try to take down the Elite 4. I also made some progression in Rhythm Heaven Megamix, but only a few worlds or so.

I did manage to beat Sonic and even the final boss wasn’t too hard for me. Now I think I’m just gonna wait for SMRPG.

In the end, my weekend was defined by a psychological phenomenom that is actually the reason why i started using this threads: Paralysis by choice.

It's not that i didn't play anything, but there was so much to test and i wanted to play so many different things that i ended up not commiting to anything wich, if you ask me, it's worse than not playing anything.

Both well, i have a couple of highlights i wanted to comment:

Kid Icarus: Uprising
When i dumped this game before selling it i forgot to transfer the save, so i had to restart it and played up to chapter 4, still, i managed to get into a couple of Light vs Darkness battles and perform decently agaisnt vastly superior human enemies - thank Palutena my muscle memory was still fresh. Man, this game is such a rush, and single player is hilarious. Please, play it if you still havent.

Super Mario Maker
My other highlight of the Pretendo enabled games. Aside of working like a charm, it reminded me why i vastly loved the original over SMM2: It's seamless, you don't need to take the console out of the dock to touch-edit your creations, you just get down to the touch screen and... do it, both in 3DS and Wii U. Also, the game feels more fun in general, as if the developers were putting their soul into it.

Monster Hunter Rise
I didn't even plan to play this one, but used it to, kind of, escape my indecision, so it became my bedtime game. I had just started the 3 star rank missions when i last played it, so it made for some focused and involved sessions. I even had the Daybreak DLC and didn't remember how! (turns out i won it on one of those random twitter raffles)

The rest was pot pourri of short bursts while testing other games with Pretendo, and then playing some Gran Turismo. I'm not satisfied with my weekend, i should have taken it easier since the Pretendo beta will last until january.

There's one thing i was forcibly reminded as i played 3DS games though: People doesn't realize how much we lost in the transition to the New 3DS.

The lack of a telescopic stylus made Kid Icarus harder to play than i remembered, i thought my memories were deceiving me and dugged out my old 3DS stylus to see that, indeed, it played waaaaaaaaaaaaay much better. Also, on Steel Diver Subwars the normal weapon is mapped by default to ZR, wich works wonder on the Circle Pad Pro but it's a nightmare on the New 3DS. Nintendo should have really taken the CPP as a model for the New 3DS, its Z buttons are worthless!

I'll take the week to choose from a small pool of games and go from there. In the end i didn't start a new save on Xeno X save wich actually annoys me, so i plan to make that my main focus.

Back
Top Bottom