• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion What type of artstyle are you expecting for the Fire Emblem Genealogy of the Holy War remake?

Which type of artstyle would you expect for the FE4 remake?

• Full 3D (like the previous Nintendo Switch Fire Emblem titles)

Votes: 80 89.9%
  • 3D with chibi models (like Pokémon BDSP and Link's Awakening remake)

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • HD2D (like the HD2D games from Square Enix)

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Upgraded 2D

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters

Andre3333456

Moblin
Pronouns
He/Him
I haven't played the Japan only FE4 game, but there had been rumors about a FE4 remake going around 2021-ish to present and all we pretty much know about the FE4 remake is that it is set to be released on the Nintendo Switch in early 2024 according to Nate, nothing else much is known right now, but seeing as a September direct may be happening in 2023, there's one thing that I want users here to expect about the FE4 remake which it is the artstyle how would they make the artstyle of the remake look different from the artstyle of the original?

Upgraded 2D: The style basically upgrades the sprites to look more visually stunning like Sonic Mania.

HD2D: This updates the 2D sprites and provides 3D pixelated backgrounds, a lot lighting, and bloom like Triangle Strategy

3D with chibi models: That's what the tin says, basically it utilizes models based on the sprites used in the original game like BDSP or Link's Awakening

Full 3D: Just like the previously released Nintendo Switch Fire Emblem titles, this gives the game a leap into 3D.

I think a more interesting discussion is what the name of the game will be, because Genealogy Of The Holy War is quite the mouthful.

i suspect they might keep genealogy because thats what its called in heroes.

I think a more interesting discussion is what the name of the game will be, because Genealogy Of The Holy War is quite the mouthful.
In line with the previos remake: Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Jugdral? (Genalogy of Jugdral? I don't even know what Genealogy is tbqh)

I kinda expect it to be 3D, probably using Engage's engine, given Valentia also basically looked like Awakening and Fates with the character portraits themselves being more "classic".

Last edited:
In line with the previos remake: Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Jugdral? (Genalogy of Jugdral? I don't even know what Genealogy is tbqh)

I kinda expect it to be 3D, probably using Engage's engine, given Valencia also basically looked like Awakening and Fates with the character portraits themselves being more "classic".
"Genealogy" is the study of family histories and bloodlines.

Yeah, honestly, given how "Echoes" has been used as the shorthand by fans for SoV since 2017, and has even kinda been made canon specifically as the title of SoV by IS themselves (e.g. Celica being the "Emblem of Echoes" in Engage, or Heroes crediting every SoV character as being from that game rather than Gaiden whereas FE4 characters are just credited as being from... Genealogy of the Holy War), I honestly think there's a pretty good chance that they pull a Resident Evil with this game and just give it the same exact name as the original.

And even if they do keep the "Echoes" title for every remake, I still think it'd just be called "Fire Emblem Echoes: Genealogy of the Holy War". FE4's subtitle may be a bit of a mouthful, but I completely agree that it's an amazing title for a game and think they should absolutely keep it for the remake.

As far as the actual topic of the thread goes, it'll obviously, 100%, without a doubt be a normal, fully 3d FE game just like 3H and Engage were. I can guarantee that no mainline FE, original or remake, will ever be anything but. I don't even think we'll ever go back to the 3ds style of having 2d sprites on the overhead map that transition into 3d for the zoomed in battle animations. The Switch era has clearly shown a desire from IS to completely move away from 2d, to the point where even the 2d character portraits have been replaced with animated 3d models.

I expect it too look more inline with Three Houses as in less vibrant colors and character models leaning more Three houses then Engage.

Also 2D animations for cutscenes as well. Don’t think it’ll be full 3D like Engage either.

Tho I could be wrong. 3D cutscenes in Engage looked pretty good

Fully 3D for sure.

As for the actual art direction itself, I hope they don’t go the engage route, but I feel there’s a good chance they might. I hope they change it up, especially with this being a remake of an old game.

Someone like Suzuki Rika would be a cool choice for the character designs of an FE4 remake, the art she's done of the FE4 characters for FEH/Cipher is sick-- especially her art of Eldigan. I can't see the game returning to 2D sprites on a battlefield as 3D is definitely the norm for FE now but I won't be disappointed otherwise.

A part of me hopes that they'll bring back character portraits for dialogue sequences rather than substituting them for 3D models like they kind of did with Engage..? FE4 has a more serious/tragic tone and I feel as though character portraits could be used to convey emotion far better. Also, I really hope that certain major events are given animated cutscenes.

I really wonder how they'll approach FE5.

Nintendo would be hard pressed to concoct a title worthy of replacing Genealogy of the Holy War, and the title structure itself seems fairly standard anyway -- it's even simpler than the nigh ubiquitous YA "A NOUN of NOUN and NOUN" structure. As is, it's evocative and really not that difficult, a really well considered title.

I guess we could replace "Genealogy" with "Toledoth" or something, but I'm not really sure why we would. Genealogy is much more common in English anyway.

I am hoping for full 3d but I would like a new art direction, something that we haven't seen before.

Anime style is pretty passé these days. Might be the perfect opportunity to bring back the artstyle from Donkey Kong Country TV series.

and the Fire Emblem 4 remake art style will be a evolution of Fire Emblem Engage(just a bit tuned down, to reflect the game darker atmophere)

Rika Suzuki has done a lot of important art for the FE4/5 characters in Fire Emblem Heroes, many in the playerbase is hoping she is the main artist for the 2D art. I would prefer they have the art on screen instead of Engage using the mini 3D model faces in cutscenes.

4d777e9352eb99bede4ebd791d271fcb0d4f935f.jpg

People who aren't interesting complain about the games looking too "weeb" so lets go in the other direction and get Rob Liefeld on character design.

Back
Top Bottom