• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion What titles do you expect to be revealed at a Switch 2 showcase?

Xaltmas

Chain Chomp
Banned
Pronouns
He/Him
What are some games you expect to see at the reveal of the next Nintendo console? A brand new 3D Mario seems to be the title that's most often batted around, but what else? One game I fully expect to see is Genshin Impact.

g%281%29_2.jpg

A Switch version was announced a few years ago but there's been little news ever since. Either the Switch hardware ended up not being up to snuff for the developers or Sony paid to make the game PlayStation console exclusive (like they did for Stellar Blade which originally was going to come to Xbox as well). The game is horrifyingly popular and would make a fantastic get to start off the new console's life cycle.

Another game I wouldn't be shocked to see is Astral Chain 2.

01_arm_00_m48bg5ay-660x370.jpg

The original game sold over a million copies and reviewed very well. Given Platinum and Nintendo's continuing relationship a sequel feels like a no-brainer at some point.

And thirdly, Mass Effect Legendary Edition.

capsule_616x353.jpg

Despite being rumored to hell and back to the point of having retail listings on multiple sites the game didn't come to Switch, but given how high the demand was for it on Switch and how each Nintendo console usually starts with some token western support I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility for Mass Effect Legendary Edition to hit the Switch's successor within the first year or two.

I think we will have a new 3D Mario, Mario Party, and some other more niche title from Nintendo (why not Astral Chain 2. Fits the bill). For third party it could be a whole host of things as I think the publishers will have lots of recent-ish releases. Assuming it comes out mid year, I fully expect one of the Like a Dragon Games and P3R and the newest EA soccer game and Madden finally. Seem like reasonable gets from this devs/pubs.

Mario Kart

It's Nintendo's biggest seller, and it's been a long-ass time since 8. They gotta have something cooking on that front, nothing will sell Switch 2 as fast as "buy this and you can play a new Mario Kart"

Something like Smash Ultimate Deluxe and Mario Kart 9. Plus maybe other shit like Fire Emblem, Mario Party, and a new Animal Crossing.

• 3D Mario
  • Monolith Soft's new game
  • Tears of the Kingdom/upgraded Switch 1 games for Switch 2
  • Elden Ring

These are my first picks. Genshin Impact and other Hoyoverse games are also good picks.

Bayonetta 3 would be a perfect pick for an upgrade. Age of Calamity as well.

I definitely expect the next 3d Mario and/or Mario Kart 9. Beyond that, I have no idea, although I can imagine a fair amount of 3rd party games that were never on Switch 1 will be revealed. Genshin is a good candidate.

Although I'm not necessarily expecting it, I hope we also get to see some enhanced rereleases of late Switch 1 games like Tears of the Kingdom, Metroid Prime 4, the rumored FE4 remake etc.

Agreed on Elden Ring, it's a game well suited to complement the standard Nintendo experience like Skyrim did.

3D Mario will almost certainly be the core launch switch title. I still sorta think there is a chance the FE4 remake is a launch window-adjacent title; FE is a pretty saturated market on Switch and a game like that would be a good counterbalance to 3D Mario.

3D Mario is the obvious one. I don't personally think they need it day one, but year one for sure. I would also expect Monolith Soft's new game and MP4. Maybe that rumored Donkey Kong game if there was any truth to that. Maybe a new warriors game. Plus a bunch of ports of current/last gen games that couldn't run on Switch like all the Resident Evil games

3D Mario is the obvious one. I don't personally think they need it day one, but year one for sure. I would also expect Monolith Soft's new game and MP4. Maybe that rumored Donkey Kong game if there was any truth to that. Maybe a new warriors game. Plus a bunch of ports of current/last gen games that couldn't run on Switch like all the Resident Evil games

I expect Capcom to bring the Resident Evil remakes over pretty quickly.

Those are some great picks OP. Elden Ring seems like a safe pick with Elder Scrolls becoming exclusive to Microsoft. Don’t think they’d happen, but Kingdom Hearts and Yakuza would be great picks too for games that missed Switch that speak to specific audiences.

As for Nintendo themselves, Mario, Kart, and Monolith seem like hard locks. Next Level Games next game, especially if it is Luigi’s Mansion 4 might be a good pick. If Metroid Prime 4 becomes cross gen, it’d be there.

3D Mario, Monolithsoft game, Mario Kart and I think they'll tease something Animal Crossing.

Those are some great picks OP. Elden Ring seems like a safe pick with Elder Scrolls becoming exclusive to Microsoft. Don’t think they’d happen, but Kingdom Hearts and Yakuza would be great picks too for games that missed Switch that speak to specific audiences.

As for Nintendo themselves, Mario, Kart, and Monolith seem like hard locks. Next Level Games next game, especially if it is Luigi’s Mansion 4 might be a good pick. If Metroid Prime 4 becomes cross gen, it’d be there.

Native ports of the Kingdom Hearts collections and Kingdom Hearts 3 should be no-brainers.

Smash bros
2d zelda
3d Mario
Mario Kart 10
Astral Chain 2
New FE
Animal Crossing 6
Next Paper Mario
MGS 3 remake
Maybe FF 16
SMT VI or even Persona 6
MH World 2/Rise 2
The Yakuza games
Either Xenoblade warriors or a new exclusive Samurai game from Team Ninja (Similar to Rise of Ronin)
Ports of numerous jp games (SF6, Tekken 8, GG Strive, Tales of Arise, Elden Ring, the RE titles, armored core 6, KOF XV, KH 1 2 and 3, DMC SE)

A couple guesses:

- 3D Mario: Completely obvious this would be here. Koizumi was one of the faces of the Switch and EPD Tokyo is the development team he's closest to so I think a Tokyo game will be positioned as the Switch 2 "killer app"

- Mario Kart 10: I don't know if this will be at launch day given it may be spaced out from the end of MK8D's DLC, but I do think Nintendo gets it out within Year 1 of the new console

- Metroid Prime 4: only if it's cross-gen and if it was here it would be a final trailer akin to BotW with Switch. I don't think they wait until the new hardware unveiling to re-reveal this game.

- Elden Ring: something tells me this will be the "Skyrim" of Switch 2. An absolutely massive game that took the world by storm last year

- Street Fighter 6: I just feel like Capcom wants this franchise in front of everyone right now and the only thing holding it back from the Nintendo audience is Switch's hardware power

I think about Dragon Quest XII a lot too. Will it be on the next console? Will it be on the OG Switch? A gameplay reveal at the Switch 2's first showcase would be a huge win.

I think about Dragon Quest XII a lot too. Will it be on the next console? Will it be on the OG Switch? A gameplay reveal at the Switch 2's first showcase would be a huge win.
Dragon Quest 12 is also a lock. Nintendo seems to care about Dragon Quest more than Square Enix actually does, so I think that would be another showcase for the hardware. It being cross-gen or not is a different story, though, because mainline Dragon Quest tends to be available on a huge platform at launch. Using it as a Switch 2 launch game would be crazy, though.

This one definitely makes sense too. My hang up is just that DQ3 remake won't even be out this year, so I'm not sure DQ12 is still in a state where they could show a lot. But at least announcing its coming to Switch 2 would be huge even if not far enough along for a big trailer.

This one definitely makes sense too. My hang up is just that DQ3 remake won't even be out this year, so I'm not sure DQ12 is still in a state where they could show a lot. But at least announcing its coming to Switch 2 would be huge even if not far enough along for a big trailer.

Yeah, just confirming it would be enough. Like how they announced DQ11 was coming to Switch before the console came out.

My guesses are:
3D Mario
Elden Ring
Arms 2
(or new IP)
A montage of Switch games that are shown running better on the new hardware
Xenoblade Chronicles 4
SMTVI

New Team Asano game
Dragon Quest XII

Monolith-Soft_08-20-17_001.jpg

With a new 3d Zelda not coming out until the end of this decade, they will push this as the replacement open world action game and use it to push Monolithsoft even more into the forefront.

• the next 3D Mario;
  • the next Mario Kart(2025);
  • the next Animal Crossing (2025);
  • Astral Chain 2 (cross gen, maybe announced at the February Direct);
  • the next Monolith Soft title;
  • Ocarina of Time remake?? New 2D Zelda(cross gen)?
  • a new Mario Party;
  • Shin Megami Tensei VI/V-2;
  • a new team Asano game(cross gen);
  • Monster Hunter Rise 2;
  • Resident Evil timed exclusive game(cross gen);
  • ports of Resident Evil 4, 3, 2 remakes and Biohazard and Village;
  • Elden Ring port.

That's assuming Switch 2 comes in late 2024. Then I think the reveal event/trailer will be in July or August. I also expect it to reveal already announced Switch games(Pokémon 2024 remakes, Mario Party if there's a June Direct, Astral Chain 2 if they announce it before, Metroid Prime 4 if it isn't out by then) will be enhanced for the new console. I also expect some weird stuff like EA going there just to say FIFA Legacy Edition will come for the next console. And I expect September Direct to reveal more games for 2025. And maybe Ring Fit Adventure 2 is announced too.

If it's May 2024, then I expect stuff like Metroid Prime 4 and Donkey Kong to be cross gen as well.

3D Mario
Mario Kart
New IP
Casual game no one cares about but sells well because casuals
Astral Chain 2
Metroid Prime 4 or Donkey Kong
I guess something from Monolith but idk that guy
New entry in smaller but fanbase favorite series

A bunch of Switch games being upscaled

Rockstar game
Elden Ring?
Dragon Quest XII
something Monster Hunter or Resident Evil
a sequel to a third-party series that wasn't Nintendo-associated that people get mad about
Team Asano something
Tomb Raider collection or Mass Effect collection
Boring Ubisoft series
Unexpected collaboration between Nintendo IP and other IP

That seems like too many

Lol. I misread this as “at launch” and thought people were posting way too much stuff. I think it will be more full of third party support honestly as they don’t need to outline a large swath of games like they did for switch. But having a massive Mario title, a meat enthusiast game (monolith is the answer), and 2-3 long tail series (MK, MP, smash rerelease) is a must. Also need to show strong Japanese AAA support and western support (EA sports big GaaS game like COD depending on where ABK situation is)

Do we expect back compat? I know there was some debate if that was possible. But I stay out of hardware thread

If the next console isn't backwards compatible the backlash would make the 2013 Xbox One reveal look like a 10/10. With how many people buy digital games these days it would be a disaster.

With Nintendo being in a better position than during the start of the Switch era, I suspect it will be a good show.

- Tokyo EPD 3D Mario. The follow up to Odyssey and will be one of the eyecatchers.

- Mario Kart. With MK 8 being so insanely popular, this will most definitely be there. Its going to be glorious.

- Smaller new IP, probably demonstrating the gimmick of the new system. It doesn’t have to be a big gimmick, but they will want it out there.

- Metroid Prime 4. It will release on Switch, but the new system will get an “enhanced” edition.

- A game from Intelligent Systems… possibly Fire Emblem.

- Call of Duty, most definitely if the deal comes through.

- Mario + Rabidds Sparks of Hope enhanced edition. It will be the new Rayman 2 :3

- My son Luigi presents… EA FC non legacy edition. (It will turn in a legacy edition later on)

- Native versions of Resident Evil VII, Village, 2, 3 and 4.

- Dragon Quest XII (and possibly more S-E stuff)

- Persona 3 Reload

- Some smaller Japanese games; think Rune Factory, Disgaea, something from Suda etc.

- And something weird nobody expected

1. A new Xenoblade teaser (guaranteed)
2. Some big third party that Nintendo will push heavily like Elden Ring port
3. A Nintendo game remake
4. 2-3 f2p GAAS titles like Genshin Impact, maybe Honkai Star Rail, and an updated look at Fortnite
5. NBA / EA Sports FC with the latter finally not being a scam.
6. Metroid Prime 4
7. ARMS 2 (this won't happen but i want it)

• New 3D Mario
  • Monolith’s next game
  • Mass Effect Legendary Edition
  • Tomb Raider reboot trilogy
  • Elden Ring
  • Call of Duty

I could see all these in the launch window and being shown off at a big reveal event.

First party: Mario 3D, Pokémon Legends, Kirby 3D 2 and a new IP

Third party: GTA6 (revealed few months prior), Madden, Persona 6, FF7 remake (both), Star Wars Outlaws.

Ohhhh exciting to think about, I have fond memories of the NX. I hope they hit it out of the park and manage to really surprise many people at once so I am going completely unhinged here:

• Super Smash bros. Ultimate part 2 (Sakurai admits to his not so secret addiction and hopes we will forgive him yet again)
  • Super Mario Kart ∞
  • Nintendo Land World
  • Donkey Kong: Ookarina of Time
  • Paper Mario: Saving the Alpha Dream

... I jest

Actually I have no idea what will happen and I really like that. Exciting times ahead when Nintendo is about to enter a new stage.

Do we expect back compat? I know there was some debate if that was possible. But I stay out of hardware thread
Short version is it comes down to "They will have had to have planned for some of the problems", but no reason to believe they wouldn't.

Super Mario (3D)
Metroid Prime 4 (crossgen)
Splatoon 4
Mario Kart 10
Xenoblade X2
Dragon Quest XII
Bunch of ports and multis (Elden Ring, COD, SF6, RE, GTAV, EAFC, NBA2K, Sonic, MGSD, etc, etc)

3D Mario
2D Donkey Kong
Mario Kart 9
a new IP from EPD and/or another first party studio (Monolith Soft, Next Level Games, etc)
Some high profiles port and maybe teases for upcoming game (maybe DQ XII ?)

• 3D Mario
  • a casual multiplayer game that takes advantage of the system's gimmick (essentially the Switch 2's equivalent to Wii Sports, Nintendo Land, or 1-2 Switch)
  • new Smash Bros (although maybe not helmed by Sakurai)

Back
Top Bottom