• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion What Nintendo franchise would benefit most from new hardware?

Vanillalite

Bob-omb
As the thread says what Nintendo game/franchise would benefit most from moving to new hardware from Nintendo? Does anything in particular stick out in your mind?

Pikmin is one of their more photo-realistic franchises and I'd love to see it with more modern graphical fidelity.

Mario ice and beach levels would look nuts with raytracing.

you better fucking believe it's pikmin

honestly now that we're a few months out from the announcement I'm actually a little disappointed that pikmin 4 wasn't held back for 4K and ray tracing

Zelda, a game with Twiight Princess Art-Style but in a modern hardware, or even BotW style but added some tecnologies like Lumen and Nanite, I think would be very neat.

I think Pikmin is the obvious answer. Luigi's Mansion also already looks fantastic and it's exciting to imagine a new version that looks even better

Zelda would benefit mostly from higher and more stable frame rate, as would Bowser's Fury (Odyssey is already smooth as butter, hence why I didn't say Mario more generally). Otherwise, aside from a resolution bump, I feel like Mario and Zelda are both a case of diminishing returns with better hardware

Last edited:
Pikmin obviously, but also I'd point to Chibi-Robo (a la Gamecube and not whatever the hell Ziplash was).

Micro biome, zooming in on textures with high fidelity, reflective surfaces benefiting from ray tracing, and a variety of shadows cast by different objects with different textures/materials at various distances from light source(s) scattered throughout (whether lamps, fire, the sun streaming through windows as dust gently floats in the air)

Anything that involves expansive worlds and/or heavy action gameplay. Most Nintendo games already look great, and the ones that don't are held back by the developers, rather than the hardware. Improving performance is the main thing that would benefit Nintendo's output at this stage, so naturally games that are larger in scope or more intense in gameplay would benefit the most.

The 540p rendering resolution of Xenoblade 3 made it so that the upscaled image had noticable breaks in the outlines, which are sort of a major part of the artstyle. And sometimes weather effects throughout 2 and DE cause the dynamic resolution to drop to a point where scenes that should be gorgeous end up muddy instead.

I'm usually an artstyle>resolution person. Like by a long shot. But Xenoblade's artstyle and scope could really benefit from more powerful hardware. Even if it managed to maintain just 1080p I'd be thrilled.

Pikmin is one of their more photo-realistic franchises and I'd love to see it with more modern graphical fidelity.

Mario ice and beach levels would look nuts with raytracing.

you better fucking believe it's pikmin

honestly now that we're a few months out from the announcement I'm actually a little disappointed that pikmin 4 wasn't held back for 4K and ray tracing

I think Pikmin is the obvious answer. Luigi's Mansion also already looks fantastic and it's exciting to imagine a new version that looks even better

Zelda would benefit mostly from higher and more stable frame rate, as would Bowser's Fury Odyssey is already smooth as butter, hence why I didn't say Mario more generally). Otherwise, aside from a resolution bump, I feel like Mario and Zelda are both a case of diminishing returns with better hardware

Pikmin obviously, but also I'd point to Chibi-Robo (a la Gamecube and not whatever the hell Ziplash was).

Micro biome, zooming in on textures with high fidelity, reflective surfaces benefiting from ray tracing, and a variety of shadows cast by different objects with different textures/materials at various distances from light source(s) scattered throughout (whether lamps, fire, the sun streaming through windows as dust gently floats in the air)
I agree so much! Please give me a next gen patch for Pikmin 4 😭

Xenoblade would be amazing in 60 Fps and higher resolution 😎

The technical power of the Gamecube was a huge part of Metroid Prime's success, so that franchise is definitely up there. Outside of that, any open world franchise like Xenoblade, and F-Zero.

I think Zelda would benefit the most if Nintendo decides to go for a more realistic TP/Wii U tech demo-esque art style for the next game after TotK.

In general, though, without taking into account specific hypotheticals? Probably Pikmin (agreed w/ what everyone else ahs said) or 3d Metroid (it has a realistic artstyle by default).

Metroid Prime 4 is the obvious answer, alongside the next Open Air Zelda game either TotK or the next game.

Listen to Wii U era Miyamoto.

unknown.png

Series that were always graphical showcases for hardware like Wave Race or Luigi’s Mansion would benefit too obviously; but I think the benefit of Pikmin on better hardware is obvious. It was to the big man in charge of the series!

Xenoblade seems like a prime candidate to me.

Monolith Soft is one of the most technically ambitious first party studios; the original game and X pushed the Wii and Wii U beyond what most thought they could handle, and their Switch games use a lot of techniques other Nintendo games don't bother with like temporal anti-aliasing/upsampling, per object motion blur, screen space reflections, bokeh depth of field, and volumetric cloud simulation.

I really enjoyed my time in Alrest and Aionios, but you could tell the team were itching for more power, and the thought of what they could accomplish on hardware a generation ahead of the Switch is mouth-watering, considering they got this out of hardware even less capable than the Switch:

1279287690289911909.gif

latest

I mean, going on a different angle, Star Fox is currently the only game I really want in VR. F-Zero maybe but I'm not sure as someone who suffers from extreme dizziness I would be able to handle that game in VR.

Xenoblade series. with such long draw distances, virtualized geometry or mesh shaders would do wonders for up close and far distance fidelity. not to mention ray traced global illumination

and it's totally doable on Drake hardware

It's always Metroid and Pikmin. Those feel like the games where you're left going "wow they optimized this really well for this console, amazingly well, but imagine if it was on even more powerful hardware!"

Zelda is their most ambitious action game in an open world setting so I’d say that’s the winner.

Other contenders: Pokemon so they can better hide their deficiencies behind raw power and Xenoblade since Monolith will always push graphics to the absolute limit.

Back
Top Bottom