• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic What Nintendo films/TV Shows Do you Want To See If The Mario Movie Is A Success?

I think a Metroid show would be pretty cool to see, either animated (similar art style to The Clone Wars/The Bad Batch) or live-action (thinking of The Mandalorian).

A Metroid series that retells and expands upon the story of the manga (Samus growing up among the Chozo on Zebes). Anime adaptation, not live action. Considering Samus is a very young child at this point in the timeline, I'd want it to focus heavily on the characters of Old Bird and Gray Voice (Samus's adoptive fathers), in addition to Chozo society in general.

The timeline could jump back and forth between the past, and Samus as an adult (assuming they'd want some obligatory action scenes featured), but I'd largely prefer that the series have a focus on worldbuilding, and quieter character moments involving Samus. The games themselves already feature enough action.

This might sound like crazy talk, but I think you can make a long running series using the Pokemon IP.

Serious answer: if it has to be like Illumination’s Mario movie, I’d pick Luigi’s Mansion for the next flick. Cartoony horror-comedy sounds like my idea of a good time.

I feel like a Fire Emblem anime could be fun.

This might sound like crazy talk, but I think you can make a long running series using the Pokemon IP.

Serious answer: if it has to be like Illumination’s Mario movie, I’d pick Luigi’s Mansion for the next flick. Cartoony horror-comedy sounds like my idea of a good time.
Well I was hoping that report about Netflix doing a Pokemon show would be that but I have doubts it isn't even happening.

I need a Luigi's Mansion movie.

I think Fire Emblem could work, too. Torn between wanting a Metroid series and then thinking "maybe not" because I don't think I'd get what I want out of it.

I had an idea for a Zelda anime that tells the story of how the Shiekah Clan become the chosen guardians of Hylia and thus, the royal family. The main character would be the first Impa. I think something like that would make for a great supplementary piece to the games.

Luigi's Mansion seems the next logical step for expanding the Mario film franchise.
I've always wanted a Zelda mini-series, either animated or live action. I remember writing a script for a first episode when I was in middle school for how it would play out.

Star Fox has a lot of story potential that Nintendo never capitalizes on, both in the games and in other media.

Donkey Kong so that we at least get some kind of love for the franchise from Universal if Nintendo won't do anything with it.

I'd really like to see a Fire Emblem anime. Crazy that we still haven't gotten one (besides that shitty 90's OVA) in the 10+ years since Awakening came out and FE got big.

Besides FE, animes based on Zelda and Metroid would also be really cool. As far as Western animation goes, I'd also love to see a new (and actually good-looking) CG DKC cartoon. An entire TV show would be ideal imo, but "just" a movie would still be pretty cool. Metroid would also work well as a Western CG animated movie.

Not really interested in live action movies or shows based on Nintendo IP. Even the common suggestions of live-action Zelda or Metroid would be too cheesy imo, animation would honestly work far better for both.

Genndy Tartakovsky Metroid series first and foremost. A skit comedy with the WarioWare cast would also work really well I feel

As far as Illumination is concerned I can really only see them working with Mario universe properties. Donkey Kong spin-off, Mario sequels, maybe Luigi's Mansion or Wario films in the future (poor Yoshi). For anything else I think they'd shop around elsewhere:
  • Hard to say what exactly they want to do with Zelda, but it will happen eventually. It almost happened with Netflix after all. I could imagine them targeting a live action series, but I can also easily imagine an audience for a Zelda anime too.
  • Splatoon, Fire Emblem and Xenoblade would most easily adapt to TV anime; don't think anyone would argue otherwise on those. Splatoon more your slice of life, conflict of the week kids anime with the game plots adapted sporatically (like Pokemon), with the other two being straight adaptations of specific installments. I guess there's some outcry for a Buddy Mission BOND anime too, so I have to mention it.

• Kirby and Animal Crossing have already popped up in anime form before; series and film respectively. I think Animal Crossing would work best in the form of cute, chill little shorts; maybe a good project for Nintendo Pictures to sink their teeth into. For Kirby they could decide to revive / reboot the anime; the light novel series probably gives a better idea of what to expect from a Kirby series now compared to the 2000s, though.
  • Metroid, Punch-Out and Star Fox are incredibly easy to imagine adapted to film, but may struggle getting greenlit due to being smaller names. I guess as long as there's a big Nintendo logo on the poster they might see success though, based on how the MCU shaked out until recently.
But what do I, MondoMega, actually want to see?

Time Twist Famicom Detective Club The Animation obviously!!

I always enjoy the business side of things and the recent Tetris trailer kind of piqued my interest in seeing a console wars movie or better yet a TV show.

Not really Nintendo per se, and the book was very much told from Sega's perspective, but a show about that would be something if it's done as a TV series.

Yeah, I mostly see Illumination just sticking with DK and the DK adjacent franchises like Mario, Wario, and Yoshi. I just can't see them with Zelda or Metroid.

We definitely need another attempt at Animal Crossing, either as a one off feature length animation or a series. I think AC would make for an awesome weekly, chill, slice of life anime series.

StarFox. The OVA for Zero was such a tease at what could've been.

And it'd be so easy to just make such a show follow in the vein of mecha anime, such as Gundam.

Star Fox as an animated series. Something like Star Blazers or Voltron in tone or style.

Metroid would be cool as a moody horror film. Maybe with almost no dialogue to make it feel more isolated for Samus, like in the games.

Splatoon Sports anime where we follow a ragtag team of 4 battle their way to the top while their friendship grows as they pick up Salmon Run shifts for extra cash along the way, run into the idols and shopkeepers, end up entangled with the Squidbeak Splatoon’s happenings, etc.

I’m seeing a blend of like the battles of World Trigger, the inter/intra team dynamics of Haikyuu, idk I can see it so clearly in my head and I want it

Fire Emblem anime series focused on the Tellius games.
The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time anime movie.
Kid Icarus anime series.
Yoshi's Island CG movie.
Splatoon CG series.
Pikmin CG series.
Xenoblade anime series.
Metroid live action movie by western producers
Famicom Detective Club live action series by Japanese producers.
Mother anime movie.

Zelda as a movie I think if done properly could be a big money maker for Nintendo. Metroid like maybe as a Netflix animated series or something.

Smash Brothers cross over movie could also likely do business. This assumes of course the screenplay is at least half decent.

Genndy Tartakovsky Metroid series first and foremost. A skit comedy with the WarioWare cast would also work really well I feel
I feel Genndy would also be perfect for a Zelda series, especially if it uses a stylized art style similar to Wind Waker.

Star Fox has a lot of story potential that Nintendo never capitalizes on, both in the games and in other media.
Star Fox would be great as a movie considering it is basically animal Star Wars.

If the Mario movie is a substantial hit I'm going to predict they're going to start to build up basically Nintendo Cinematic Universe (ie: a Donkey Kong movie is next and ends with a post credits scene where Mario washes up on Animal Crossing island and looks up and sees like Pitt and other Nintendo characters are there too, and he doesn't quite understand what's happening ... cut to black).

Every studio wants a cinematic universe they can ride the money train on and Nintendo already has an IP that would combine all the characters together ... Smash Brothers (movie) would the NCU equivalent of Marvel's Avengers. In a goofy, animated Nintendo way of course, but still I can totally see them doing that.

There's been a void of fantasy films in a way. Harry Potter's main cast kinda is retired and I don't think people enjoy the newer spin-off movies as much.

LOTR/Tolkien has shifted more towards TV. GRRM-verse is basically all HBO TV.

There could be a fairly decent opening for a well made Zelda film, even in live action to clean up. I get the sense people are tired of going to the theater to only watch superhero films, but when you're being charged $16+ a ticket you don't want to go see a romantic comedy either. I think audiences are really itching for something that is big and epic and fun I think that isn't a cape flick.

I want a documentary series about the establishment of the early days of Nintendo (Each episode covering a different era, eventually moving through 1889 to 2017 as they cover each respective Nintendo era). Something more in line with the BBC's Tetris: From Russia With Love documentary.

Would be FAR more interesting than any adaptation of any of their games could be.

Back
Top Bottom