• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion What next for Nintendo when it comes to mobile games?

If the initiative wasn't dead, they wouldn't have stopped releasing new games after 2019, with the only exception being the seemingly almost entirely Niantic driven Pikmin Bloom. FEH will be allowed to run its course, and Mario Run has been (very slightly) reworked into a more effective advertising vehicle for Mario games, but fundamentally the initiative seems to be more in a controlled wind down then anything else.
Nintendo still has staff on Bloom, and they are responsible for bankrolling its continued development, and marketing. I agree that the movement has winded down, but they still mention how important it is to bring Nintendo IP to new, approachable places and use it as a vehicle for said promotion when convenient. You won't see them reporting results for a hot minute because it isn't where they'd like it to be ATM, but I don't have any reason to believe they've given up on it, or that it would be advantageous to do so. You'd be hard-pressed to find any evidence of that.

Tbh? I’d prefer they release a “eShop App” on smartphones where it’s easier to buy games or wishlists or maneuver the eShop without having to resort to websites or the console itself.

Can get notifications like “hey it’s on sale!” Or “hey it’s available!” Or something
Ohhhhhh they are 100% doing this sooner or later within the next console gen. Bet the house on it

Nintendo still has staff on Bloom, and they are responsible for bankrolling its continued development, and marketing. I agree that the movement has winded down, but they still mention how important it is to bring Nintendo IP to new, approachable places and use it as a vehicle for said promotion when convenient. You won't see them reporting results for a hot minute because it isn't where they'd like it to be ATM, but I don't have any reason to believe they've given up on it, or that it would be advantageous to do so. You'd be hard-pressed to find any evidence of that.
You'd be hard pressed to find any evidence that Nintendo sees themselves having a future in mobile besides slowly riding out what they've already released. Their IP awareness efforts have been much more focused elsewhere.
Ohhhhhh they are 100% doing this sooner or later within the next console gen. Bet the house on it
It's been more than a decade since Nintendo last produced a native eShop app for their own consoles.

I think Nintendo has established an understanding of how their IPs fit in the mobile market, while not all releasea have find gheir footing, it's not like they're complete failures also, it just stagnated.
MKO pretty much provided them a case study on how content releases are being received.
I still think that Dragalia lost could've found their niche had they synergised with their main platform more.
I bet lots of Nintendo employees are aware of IPs such as Granblue Fantasy, which have found their way to console platforms. Moreover, within the age group that may have grew up with mobile games, the console platform (and PC) are going to be the next space where they spend their time and money on;

note that its 300 parents
The market research firm's annual Japan Youth Gamers report surveyed more than 300 parents of gamers aged six to 18 and over 90 gamers between the ages of 16 and 18.

Console is the most popular format among Japanese gamers, used by 72.3% of the group, followed by mobile gaming at 63.5%. Only 14.7% of respondents played on PC.

The live service and continous content update model has found its footing on console platforms, which previously was well developed in the mobile space;

---

So I don't think they'll abadon the mobile gaming space, but they'll be more thoughtful on the scope and like what other platforms are doing, try to synergize in such a way that you'll end up buying their main platform.

Tbh? I’d prefer they release a “eShop App” on smartphones where it’s easier to buy games or wishlists or maneuver the eShop without having to resort to websites or the console itself.

Can get notifications like “hey it’s on sale!” Or “hey it’s available!” Or something

The NSO app sounds like a easy gateway to support that.
The PS App was pretty much a mobile front end of the sony store web page, but over the time it has improved and the overall experience is good for purchasing, browsing, wishlisting games and getting notifications for sales.

Hope NSO app can follow the same trajectory.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom