• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion What is the real reason why Nintendo never did MMOs?

Aside from a MMO I am surprised that they haven't touched gacha on mobile yet with all of their IP as collectable fighters/souls/items whatever.

Aside from a MMO I am surprised that they haven't touched gacha on mobile yet with all of their IP as collectable fighters/souls/items whatever.
All their mobile games aside from Miitomo, Mario Run, Mario Kart, and Pikmin Bloom are or have a gacha.

But MKT did have Gatcha. Didn't Fire Emblem Heroes too?
Yesyes, Animal Crossing as well but I meant in a game where all of their property is represented. A bit like how One Piece Treasure Cruise rakes in a lot of cash.

Just an easy formula game, multiverse with all Nintendo characters. Collect them all.

I'm sure it would become a very popular Game if updated regulary with events and small stories within the different game universes.

Last edited:
MMOs take huge amounts of time and investment and require 300+ people permanently on it. it's also not as if every other pub or dev has an MMO. the required amount of people needed to play them is also much different today than the early 2000s, and MMO gamers are notoriously fickle and flavor of the month with new games before going back to literally WOW and FFXIV.

Yesyes, Animal Crossing as well but I meant in a game where all of their property is represented. A bit like how One Piece Treasure Cruise rakes in a lot of cash.

Just an easy formula game, multiverse with all Nintendo characters. Collect them all.

I'm sure it would become a very popular Game if updated regulary with events and small stories within the different game universes.
I would REALLY love a Smash Go!

But not with gatcha mechanics, thise are the single worst type of mechanics in gaming, I absolutely hate them, I will not play games where anything major is obtained by gatcha.

Last edited:
Can’t see Nintendo attempting an MMO til they accomplish their internal expansion at least, MMOs need a constant workforce and Nintendo probably doesn’t want to commit their manpower to it. They’ve always been about diversifying their output.

I feel like it's the same reason Apple doesn't have a console.
It's the risk reward and also not Nintendo's strength. I commend them for not trying as a EA style Nintendo managemnet likely would have tried and failed with a Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing and Pokemon MMO at this point.

The space is quite crowded and declining , and it costs a shit ton of money to make one with a high chance of failure. They may get around to an MMO eventually but it will be done organically, perhaps building out one of their franchises incrementally towards and an MMOP and they make make sure it's a success.

I mean the Xenoblade games are essentially offline J-MMOs already. So they could probably make one of those and know they'll have about a million subs easy, but if the MMO costs 200+ million to develop 1 million subs won't be enough. Besides, MMO's like FFXIV makes more money by nickle and diming their customers with glamour and cosmetics with the subs being a baseline revenue now, and it's very unNintendo to do that as a gameplay mechanic. They rather you buy a $20 Amiibo that will work in their MMO.

MMOs are very expensive to develop and to run. they're high reward though, to the point where Square Enix damn near cratered the company to get FF14 back on track and is responsible for most of their money

that said, licensing is an avenue but the returns are minimized if the game gets big, but you're not saddled with the risks. I still think a Hyrule MMO based on BotW could do very well if handled well

I know, it's an old discussion. I stand by my opinion that if done right, Pokémon and Zelda MMOs would be by far Nintendo's most profitable games, especially Pokémon if they released it on mobile, they would never do it for Zelda although I think they should.

My own opinion on this: Kit and Krysta said in the latest episode, that many NCL devs don't play games. Shocking right? Maybe not, makes sense if you look at their history. Not all of them of course, they said like fe Aonuma indeed ripped off Far Cry's towers lol

So, I could see that, because many Nintendo devs are so alienated, they just don't really get MMOs, so they don't wanna try it and those who do, are in the minority.

Also, of course developing MMOs is a big risk. They're extremely expensive, need constant content updates, but come on, it's Nintendo, they could do it. The best thing would be to partner up with a outside studio that specializes in MMO. They did it with Pokémon Unite and it turned out phenomenal (I know, pay to win, chinese, bla bla, I still think it's fun as hot hell).

I know the MMO ship has kinda sailed, there isn't the same level of hype around them like 2005-2012 or so, but I would still love to see these MMOs, and I think they could cause a big MMO resurgence, especially since they're newland to Nintendo fans. Although, you could argue mainline Pokémon is going MMO slowly but steady, it standarted with the Plaza in SM and has been expanded steady since.
imagine battle royale nintendo style with as many characters as in smash u, with maps from all n franchises, and character movesets from their own games

I feel like it's the same reason Apple doesn't have a console.
It's the risk reward and also not Nintendo's strength. I commend them for not trying as a EA style Nintendo managemnet likely would have tried and failed with a Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing and Pokemon MMO at this point.

The space is quite crowded and declining , and it costs a shit ton of money to make one with a high chance of failure. They may get around to an MMO eventually but it will be done organically, perhaps building out one of their franchises incrementally towards and an MMOP and they make make sure it's a success.

I mean the Xenoblade games are essentially offline J-MMOs already. So they could probably make one of those and know they'll have about a million subs easy, but if the MMO costs 200+ million to develop 1 million subs won't be enough. Besides, MMO's like FFXIV makes more money by nickle and diming their customers with glamour and cosmetics with the subs being a baseline revenue now, and it's very unNintendo to do that as a gameplay mechanic. They rather you buy a $20 Amiibo that will work in their MMO.
doesnt apple have a game console hybrid now with tv?

doesnt apple have a game console hybrid now with tv?
it's playing in the same space as google tv and fire tv where the appstores are extended to the TV at home. Yes there's mobile games on there and in Apple's case they're doing a bit more game centric stuff with Apple Arcade but i haven't seen anyone seriously include Apple TV as a console.

Back
Top Bottom